Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, also, whatever happened to Wintersjik or however their name was spelled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
She's still there, doing her work with our blessing. Amacita didn't step up to fill a power vacuum, she promoted herself past the appointed caretakers of the ship (the bits of the council we know, and Winterswijk).

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Waci posted:

Why would we regret killing a traitor? For fucks sake people, just because a dying traitor claims she was the good guy all along doesn't mean it's true. Stop taking heretics at face value.

We put a lot of work into not killing her, regretting it doesn't inherently mean thinking it was the wrong call it can also mean 'I wish it hasn't come to that.'

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

reignonyourparade posted:

We put a lot of work into not killing her, regretting it doesn't inherently mean thinking it was the wrong call it can also mean 'I wish it hasn't come to that.'

Fine. Regret that our childhood friend became a traitor and that we had to kill her, but not that we did what we had to do.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, also, whatever happened to Wintersjik or however their name was spelled?

Still in the inner circle. Full name is Eleonora Wintersjilk and Elenora is easier to spell :v:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Regret nothing, acquire power

You know, if we stopped having a conscience then we wouldn't feel bad about our decisions!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Anticheese posted:

Don't even joke about that. :(

Well, keep an open mind. If he comes back and doesn't like what he sees, it may be necessary. Regrettable, but necessary.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

sullat posted:

Well, keep an open mind. If he comes back and doesn't like what he sees, it may be necessary. Regrettable, but necessary.

You gave him permission and in fact asked him to shoot you if you went too far :colbert:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Earlier, on Speaking of Space Dad.

Speaking of Space Dad, part 2.

Silence. “What happened to you?”

“The Magos.”

“Well, guess that’s as likely an explanation as any, and even if you tattled, who would believe a mutant.”

“Exactly. Not too tempted to try our luck with that, seeing as we only survived last time by finding this place.” Salmari looks around herself, at the opulent quarters hidden away, far from where such luxury would be expected. “Have you been here all this time?”

Nod.

“Does she know?”

Nod.

Salmari shudders. Few things were worse for one’s prospects than being a mutant, but being a mutant who knew things a rogue trader didn't want known was definitely one of them.

“Why haven’t you left? I mean, you have rogue trader kind of money, surely you could have taken a shuttle and gone off to see the sights or to Terra as soon as we got to Sol, rather than hiding here while the Beast waits at Titan or Mars for Emperor knows how long?”

DiMuzio gestures at the luxury shuttle that had become his home. “This thing has everything a man could need, except for functional engines.”

That would explain it. His own shuttle was more of a holiday home now, and he couldn't appropriate a working one without revealing himself, with his successor off on secret business for years at a time. “You know, Chianti and I have been sneaking around on the Beast for a while now, for the obvious reason. If you want, we could help you find a way to a closed-off observation deck or somewhere without being seen, if you want to get out of the shuttle for a while.”

It was a desperate bid, and she was sure he knew that, but there wasn't much a hunted mutant could offer even a retired rogue trader, and like most people, when the push came to shove, she preferred not to be shot even if it would strictly speaking have been the appropriate thing to do.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:3: Story and art

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

LowellDND posted:

You gave him permission and in fact asked him to shoot you if you went too far :colbert:

Well things change.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

Your old paranoia rose up, regardless of getting drunk and talking to a sock puppet of your husband.
Ohone pls

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Please kill that mechadendrite. It is a shame, but necessary.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Wentley posted:

Please kill that mechadendrite. It is a shame, but necessary.

No one saw our secret shame :v:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Just caught up. Its always a good day when the thread has a few hundred new posts.

Outrail posted:

What a waste of a good person.

And this is why we should have inducted her into the inqusition. First, it would have opened her eyes to what actaully needed to be done.

Second, we'd have a comrade-in-arms for using our influence to steal everything.

Sad to just jump to murder. All the int advances won't save ohone from the thread blindly voting.

I am EAGERLY awaiting the next obvious nuke for us to walk ohone into. And I hope golgotha is actaully as deadly as it is shaping up to be.

LowellDND posted:

Im going to write her as literally Stalin until the thread changes its mind :v:

on one hand, it totally fits having a power called Soul Of Iron. On the other, ohone could have grown so much differently.

Honestly, after 7 years on titan, though - this is the first vacation she's had from that. This is a good chance to remind ohone of who she used to be, and contrast her with what the thread's made her.

Throw more amacita's death tier scenes and feelings around. Ohone acts like a jerk without a fabiyan-shaped moral compass around.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

LowellDND posted:

No one saw our secret shame :v:

Except little sire, Athena, the ruinous powers and the Emperor...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arkanomen posted:

Except little sire, Athena, the ruinous powers and the Emperor...

Begin the purges

edit: This is the first big time I can remember the thread wants me to run Ohone in an actually schizophrenic way - randomly killing important NPCs, than feeling immense regrets over it. It will produce some bizarre behavior which I think would deviate from the slow character development we've been doing.

Right now I think Im going to keep a certain level of paranoia, framed within missing Fabian and trying to be guided by his actions. She doesn't really feel guilt, but she does want Fabian to be her prosthetic conscience. So I'm going to play with that a bit. So: currently literally Stalin, but trying to get better. She recognizes she sometimes goes overboard. Whether Amanita was one of those times Ill leave in the hands of 'death of the author' ;)

That said, everyone around her is going to take a step up in terror, which may have some repercussions later. I know we're doing the full honors funeral, but she still is ... developing a reputation.

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 8, 2015

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Anticheese posted:

Feel remorse, drink, mourn the loss of Husbando in your life.

This.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

And as a follow-up:

Ask what he would have done and thought if he saw this. Maybe feel a tickle of fear about what our happily married representative of the God-Emperor would have advised and how that matched up to Ohone's actions. Thank Athena.

Can you slur binary while drunk?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Anticheese posted:

Can you slur binary while drunk?

000100111012*blargh*

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

Begin the purges

edit: This is the first big time I can remember the thread wants me to run Ohone in an actually schizophrenic way - randomly killing important NPCs, than feeling immense regrets over it. It will produce some bizarre behavior which I think would deviate from the slow character development we've been doing.

Right now I think Im going to keep a certain level of paranoia, framed within missing Fabian and trying to be guided by his actions. She doesn't really feel guilt, but she does want Fabian to be her prosthetic conscience. So I'm going to play with that a bit. So: currently literally Stalin, but trying to get better. She recognizes she sometimes goes overboard. Whether Amanita was one of those times Ill leave in the hands of 'death of the author' ;)

That said, everyone around her is going to take a step up in terror, which may have some repercussions later. I know we're doing the full honors funeral, but she still is ... developing a reputation.

Well this is the first time she's murdered the person she's saved from death a half-dozen times. Literally crushed the heart of her poor fool cousin because she saw a threat. So I could see that making her falter a bit. Might be the seed of Chaos doubt.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

poor life choice posted:

Well this is the first time she's murdered the person she's saved from death a half-dozen times. Literally crushed the heart of her poor fool cousin because she saw a threat. So I could see that making her falter a bit. Might be the seed of Chaos doubt.

And I can run her like that, I just need to thread the needle of the two viewpoints in order to maintain internal consistency :v:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
We had to remove two seeds of chaos. We are so far off the rails we're something new.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Darius Walton

Darius was in his office, reviewing the second set of books, when one of the writers walked in. Crying. "Carla. What's wrong?"

"Amacita. She's dead," Carla said. "How could she do it?"

"What?" Darius was stunned. He had just talked to her about the sales figures from last quarter. "What happened to her?"

"The Iron Lady. I heard she... she killed Amacita."

Darius pulled a bottle of cheap amasec from his desk drawer, and absently poured two drinks. It had been almost two years since Amacita had pulled him from the brig and put him in charge of designing the official line of St. Fabiyan merchandise. It had been some of his best work; tasteful devotional icons were readily available at all price points, franchised cults selling licensed merch had been established at every port of call between Agatha's world and Mars, and the bribes necessary to complete the canonization process were ready to go, once the ship made landfall at Holy Terra. Darius had even hoped to begin shooting the official pict-cast version of the St. Fabiyan hagiography once the repairs to the ship were complete. Since the project had Amacita's approval, he had assumed it also had the Lord-Sire's approval as well, but this turn of events cast that into doubt. He looked over at Carla. She had finished her drink, and was holding out her glass for another. He pushed his glass over to her, and she downed it as well. You had to be flexible in business, and so he had to forge onward. "Did anyone see you crying?"

"I don't know. I don't think so?"

"Good. Go to your bunk and sleep it off. We're going to have to re-write the first act of the screenplay, especially the Amacita character. Well, once the official story of how she died comes out. We may need to turn her into a villain, it seems."

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:golfclap:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 7
Current: 12,232
Total Goal: 11,666

First among equals

Limosa had a problem.

He had gotten everything he could really expect from life. If not Lord-Sire, he had all the duties and powers of one (if one who had a puppet-master, which wasn’t all that unusual). He was a psyker at the peak of his prowess. The Dynasty was doing well beyond all expectation, and the one to thank for it all was his Inquisitor. The Family, and his place in the world, had only good things to look forward to.

Being a psyker, and an Interrogator, was kind of the problem, actually.

His previous Inquisitor… liked to play games. Limosa wasn’t sure if it was Siadwell’s natural sadism or the nature of the position, but he had made life a living hell. And that was not rhetorical - his training methods included literal daemonic possession or gazing into the Warp. Siadwell had gone through a lot of acolytes until Limosa had survived the winnowing process.

Siadwell… thought randomness was the best training method. ‘The universe was erratic and uncaring’ he was prone to say, ‘so is your training.’ Limosa learned endurance most of all, the idea that a task could be rewarded or punished without rhyme or reason, that they could be meted out in wildly capricious degrees. Lose a cell of Acolytes? Could be a commiserating drink, could be days in the box.

And being a telepath, he could feel the same … capriciousness … radiating from his new Inquisitor in waves. She had killed their mutual cousin for the same reasons she promoted him, and that kind of whimsy made him very nervous. Not that he would admit it - much of his thinking was a subconscious unease.

He had burrowed his personality behind so many layers, shields and walls that even he couldn’t find it, and Siadwell had left him with two core emotions. Fear and loyalty. Loyalty and fear. And Ohone was learning to fit the same role quite nicely.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 7
Current: 12,561

Hero’s sendoff

It was some of their best work, of course. The religious industry had had a lot of practice, and the funeral of Amacita hit all the right notes. Her discovery of the xeno-conspiracy. Her sharing of the information, even at the cost of her own life. The loss of her most loyal comrade, taken by a plasma bolt of a xeno-traitor. And her heartfelt last conversation with Ohone, where she confirmed every decision as right.

And who would speak against it? Everyone knew Amacita was dead, but only a handful had seen how. And they definitely weren’t contradicting the official story. Xeno infestation, full stop. There were the standard medical examinations to see how far the infiltration had spread, and a few unlucky souls were found ‘infected’. It was the mob’s own panic that killed more, as they looked for cures and cleansers and the guilty.

You had performed the dissection of Amacita personally, and found nothing. Still, the records and documentaries would say otherwise.

The murals even started to add or expand Amacita’s role in your cult. Necessary, but irritating.

It was wrapped up pretty nicely, all told. Big movie, throw some statues up, big funeral. New chapter to the religious histories. And people were a bit more open about speaking up, even if half of what they said was suspecting xeno-infiltrators. Apparently the new batch were face-huggers? Absurd.

It was a few hours later when Edourd pulled you aside and asked if you were okay.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

LowellDND posted:

Technically we didn't promote him :v:

But moderate power players who still survive include:

The small council
Limosa/Edourd
Heirophant Isaac
Young Henderson (preacher, learned under erasmus, connection)
Colonel Wolfgang (officer and gentleman)
Katarina Ehrnrooth sister famulous (bene gesserit)
Colonel Astri
Eleonora
Luckas

Outer Circle
Caroline the Sage
The Dwarf
Ching Shih
Athena
Jeb

Other Tribunes
Little Sire
Adelaide
Raul Oxenforth

edit: So, who we purging? :v:

You forgot the Eds :argh:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
"My childhood friend tried to usurp my position and forced me to kill her, take a loving guess."

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arkanomen posted:

All three rule as a Triumvirate which runs major issues by us before closure. We also have veto power

As for the ship.

Anything that can be encapsulated be done and extracted as a single module. The underlying structure becomes modular and the sections reinstalled. Modular bays allows quick organization in dry dock or fast repairs to critical systems. The layout also allows rerouting of power,air etc during damage and boarding. We want critical functions in the core of the ship. Medical, cloning, munitions and engineering. There should be Krieger barracks established throughout the ship in equal density. Alpha deck at the prow of the ship but with a fast track corridor into the core as a fallback command station. Luxury and pilgrimage areas should move to the mid forward and dreg areas mid back. Guns should line the ship, not only the prow. We're a Capitol ship, we gotta be ready to sit and tank which means multi-vector turrets.

Also, Im probably going to do this unless anyone has any other requests.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Waci posted:

"My childhood friend tried to usurp my position and forced me to kill her, take a loving guess."

This seems reasonable, +1

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You forgot the Eds :argh:

If they aren't on the tribune list they aren't there :colbert:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Waci posted:

"I thought my childhood friend tried to usurp my position so I killed her, take a loving guess."

Just a little tweak.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well, definitely leave some patches that still at least LOOK space hulk-y for the opportunity to sell space-hulk tours to bored nobles.and

And for "are you okay" I vote just "my childhood friend forced me to kill her" because honestly even of she DIDN'T intend to usurp (which I think phone is like, 80% sure she was) she needed to be removed from power because she was a dagger aimed at the heart of the ship ready to be used by the first person with a kind word and ill intent to come along, and she had made it VERY HARD to remove her from power WITHOUT killing her.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 8, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 7
Current: 12,814

Old notes

One thing - well, a couple of things - that had surprised Limosa were scattered in the papers of the former council chair. The first was … apparently a speech? It was directed at Ohone, and had gone through several drafts. Some of the earlier ones had deep, angry lashes in the page, including notes to slap her. And ending the conversation with ‘dismissed.’

Limosa winced. Even in some of these later speeches, saying ‘are you going to kill me now’ got you killed pretty quick. He wondered if anyone would ever want to see these, or if they should be destroyed.

The other thing that he found was a list of all the crew and personnel since Ohone had come aboard ship, all quarter million of them. There had never been a census as far as he knew - so had Amacita walked the entire ship collecting names? Had she gotten them from the gang leaders or other people in the Deeps? Everyone who might answer that were dead.

And then each name, nearly every one on each column, on every page, crossed out.

The handful of others were double listed on the final sheet - the Survivors list. Apparently Amacita had given them all pensions for surviving the various wars, and had promised them her backing and support. There were even tidy little notes on where they lived, who they were, interesting personal facts. This sheet, Limosa saved. Ohone would want to know about it.

It might be her next death list for the Greycloaks.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Send the names a simple invitation to a memorial banquet to "The close personal friends of Amacita." Do nothing, but just let them know we know who they are.

e: Though I am tempted to do the thing where we have them all clap for us and the first person to stop clapping dies and just let them sit there clapping, seeing as we are space-Stalin now.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 8, 2015

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

See guys? Amacita was just looking out for us.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
"I can't trust anything anymore. Even myself." Suicide.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Don't be a purgeaholic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
They're just pensioners, although they are probably far too young to actually retire. Put them back to work. Or have them join the Abrogates, if they haven't already.