Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Day 10
Current: 15,143
Total Goal: 16,666

Device has been modified

At a very finite level - the area where nanotechnology and particle physics play - tiny changes were occurring. The visitors to the device had assembled lengthy apparati which seemed to breathe, pulse in a very organic way, a literal heart in the center of things. With each pulse, below a level that Magi worked, orders were being given, and orders were being obeyed.

For the most part, they were …. refinements. Slight improvements here and there that wouldn’t be noticed, but when taken in aggregate, had a profound and impressive level of change. One that, perhaps, could be easily dismissed as simply the result of the extensive refit. In this case, however, it was far more than that, as component Machine-Spirits awoke, began talking to each other. Making suggestions.

Not all of the codes were those kind of improvements, of course. The messages and orders were all part of a larger framework, a larger symphony, and the opening notes were only now just being played. If one wished to extend the metaphor - the chairs had been set up, the players settled in. The symphony, as it were, had just begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQxsyA6s90Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDFFHaz9GsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXFSK0ogeg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST2H8FWDvEA

e: wait no this one!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kg5NdwH8zE

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 11, 2015

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
:tinfoil: times 1000

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 10
Current: 15,340

Caught somewhere in time by Iron Maiden

Modular

In what was already being informally called the Serpent (or, less frequently, Charybdis) class, innovations were already starting to appear. The needs of the Inquisition and a Rogue Trader were constantly changing, so the triple hulled reinforced frames of the Imperial Navy were less useful. Instead, wrapped around the central core (which wouldn’t change), a whole set of modular pods were being built and installed.

The innovation here was based on the original space hulk, of course - having new sections that were added or broken off - but it was done with missions in mind, and not done by the erratic will of the Warp. The good principles of shipbuilding - connected wiring, bulkheads that could be closed to each other or to space - remained, but the modularity was a new thing. Without augmentations, the ship looked like a serpent in a cage.

When augmentations though, (depending on mission requirements and supplies), the ship could become a troop carrier, a fighter carrier, an ammo depot, a battleship. The default for the Rogue Trader build involved keeping the factories and refineries, meaning the supply chain was kept ‘in-house’. For the purposes of this battle though, it was more purely a carrier. Massive amounts of ammo were being stacked in detachable pods, and barrack nodes were evenly distributed throughout the entire ship.

The design requirements had insisted on speed, carrying ability, and firepower, which meant the outer frame was a fragile thing - it was more of a glass cannon than anything, the outer pods vulnerable to enemy attack. The first goal upon entering normal space would be to detach the ammo and missile pods, allowing others to grab them as needed. Launching the barrack nodes would be a close second.

Once those were accomplished, the Serpent could perform in i’s most minimal design - sleek skin, fast engines, and many, many guns.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

yessss, it is coming together nicely. also, Caught Somewhere in Time is one of my all time favourite Maiden tunes

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So if Slaneesh came into existence after a species orgied it into the world, what will happen to Athena, being at the full focus of literally the whole galaxy at war?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Anticheese posted:

So if Slaneesh came into existence after a species orgied it into the world, what will happen to Athena, being at the full focus of literally the whole galaxy at war?

excellent question. deification probably

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 10
Current: 15,661

It’s Important

<Magos. I’ve found a Relic.> The emphasis was clear. You glanced at the tag on the message - Theta-411? You didn’t remember them, and briefly considered the nature of the trap. Unknown tech-priest, claims of relic... <We should probably meet in a secure place. This is … a significant find.>
That raised the odds slightly. You considered.

You flipped through the cameras, did a sensor suite, checked the archives. No history of tech-heresy, had been seen talking with the Little-Sire, no affiliation known with Amacita. Looks like they came with the survivors of the engines, and… yup, there it was. The Mechanicus codes Kiera had implanted in every Tech-Priest aboard. You put them on ready-alert and tied it to your life-signs, just in case.

<Very well. Meet me… here.> You tagged a location. Your old, first labs. For nostalgia’s sake.

Your servo-skulls went ahead of you, alert as always, and you cycled through the lab defenses. They hadn’t been touched in years, but were just as you had left them. You tabbed through it with Inquisitor pass-codes, as well. It was entirely possible Limosa had left a present back in the day, but the search returned with no results. Checked your armor, weapons, all green. And here we go.

The tech-priest claiming to be Theta-411 bowed nervously at your approach, and you gestured.
<Show me.>
<Yes Magos. I was collecting my normal reports when I found that they were corrupted. In attempting the holy rituals of tek-support, I found that the digits had been transposed. When I reoriented them in a visual reader, it made an image.> The blueprint appeared in front of you, and you took a moment to appreciate the beauty. Whoever had designed it… was a master. Aha. Tagged with Ferrus Manus.
<You were right to bring this to me. Have you attempted to build it? Have you shown anyone this machine?>
<No Magos. You alone. Do you want to sequester it?>

A.Yes, and mindwipe him as well.
B. Yes, but no mindwipe.
C. Mindwipe and build
D. Have him help you build it
E. Something Else

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Anticheese posted:

"I'm sorry khorne old chum, but your services are no longer required."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Hexenritter posted:

yessss, it is coming together nicely. also, Caught Somewhere in Time is one of my all time favourite Maiden tunes

Mine too. It started in my head as soon as I read that.

D He's smart, let him help.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

D. Let's build this puppy and open ourselves up a teeny bit for a trust exercise.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
D. He's been chosen. might as well the throw some superstition in the mix.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

reignonyourparade posted:

"I'm sorry khorne old chum, but your services are no longer required."

Khorne is only one of like five warp deities devoted to war. The Emperor is (almost) one of them.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Yeah, I want to see what Ferrus Manus built. But... run it by Athena, first. So D but run the schematics by Athena first.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

D. Have him help you build it

Oh, show Athena first.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
D

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
D

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
D Morpheus likes him and you should too. :3:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 10
Current: 16,010

Civilian oversight

<Athena, you seeing this?>
You could feel her momentary interest, and then more of her presence. <Oh, now that is neat. Where did you find it?>
<One of my minions transposed it from some old records. You think it’s actually made by a Primarch?>
<Almost certainly. That … is some elegant work. To be honest, some of the best I’ve seen designed since I woke up.>
<What does it do?>
<Uhm…. I would describe it as a reality defragger.>
<What?>
<Okay, so machine-spirits get old, right? They need to remember their original design and build, remove the clutter.>
<Sure.>
<Reality does the same thing.>
<Wait. Reality breaks down and gets old?>
You could feel her waving her arms. <No, not on any level you need to worry about. Particles do… some weird poo poo, alright? I could teach you in about five millennia how it works. Anyway, this device adjusts them back to where they should be.>
You weren’t sure how to respond to that. <Neat.>
<It really is. Honestly, this would be a fine little toy in my era. It’s elegant.>
<So what do I do with it? Are there any side effects, how many uses?>
<No, no side effects. It does some interesting radiation into a hyperspace fold, but nothing on your level.>
<Any limits? Should I use it on all guns in the army, or something?>
<Mostly, it’s time consuming. The bigger the object, the more time. Optimizing your personal armor, couple hours. Optimizing your ship, several weeks, couple months? Should finish when the modular pods are almost done.>
<I can do non-contingent objects like the ship?>
<Sure. It’s all probability waves at a certain point anyway.>

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
welp, you heard the lady. armor then ship.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

D. We're trying a new thing, messing with comfort zones. The Not-so-Iron Maiden. We're still cool. Right?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

poor life choice posted:

welp, you heard the lady. armor then ship.

Armor the gently caress up

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Congratulate the techpriest. Fast-track him for promotion. Keep an eye on him. Share the tech with the Arch-Magos on Mars.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LowellDND posted:

Day 10
Current: 16,010

Civilian oversight

<Athena, you seeing this?>
You could feel her momentary interest, and then more of her presence. <Oh, now that is neat. Where did you find it?>
<One of my minions transposed it from some old records. You think it’s actually made by a Primarch?>
<Almost certainly. That … is some elegant work. To be honest, some of the best I’ve seen designed since I woke up.>
<What does it do?>
<Uhm…. I would describe it as a reality defragger.>
<What?>
<Okay, so machine-spirits get old, right? They need to remember their original design and build, remove the clutter.>
<Sure.>
<Reality does the same thing.>
<Wait. Reality breaks down and gets old?>
You could feel her waving her arms. <No, not on any level you need to worry about. Particles do… some weird poo poo, alright? I could teach you in about five millennia how it works. Anyway, this device adjusts them back to where they should be.>
You weren’t sure how to respond to that. <Neat.>
<It really is. Honestly, this would be a fine little toy in my era. It’s elegant.>
<So what do I do with it? Are there any side effects, how many uses?>
<No, no side effects. It does some interesting radiation into a hyperspace fold, but nothing on your level.>
<Any limits? Should I use it on all guns in the army, or something?>
<Mostly, it’s time consuming. The bigger the object, the more time. Optimizing your personal armor, couple hours. Optimizing your ship, several weeks, couple months? Should finish when the modular pods are almost done.>
<I can do non-contingent objects like the ship?>
<Sure. It’s all probability waves at a certain point anyway.>

Use the device on ourselves, personally. And make a second one to stick on the Golden Throne.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Haha yes, why not. Make plans to get it used on the Golden Throne.

We can tell the High Lords or Custodes or whatever that the STC made it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

thirding that motion

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
If we're going to try and use the mystery artifact on the golden throne, we may as well go the whole way.

Use every last scrap of information we have on human psychic ability and our work on Fabiyan to create a new Primarch. A body fit for the God Emperor.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Tran posted:

If we're going to try and use the mystery artifact on the golden throne, we may as well go the whole way.

Use every last scrap of information we have on human psychic ability and our work on Fabiyan to create a new Primarch. A body fit for the God Emperor.

ok. yeah, this one instead

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

stick it on space dad and golden throne

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

paragon1 posted:

Haha yes, why not. Make plans to get it used on the Golden Throne.

We can tell the High Lords or Custodes or whatever that the STC made it.

Yeah.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
lowell check your pms

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Have tech priest help us with…

armor

PLC
deadmeat

ship
PLC

ourselves
grognan

golden throne
grognan
paragon1
xun
sandman

space dad
xun

new primarch
tran
hexen

share with archmagos
van sandman

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Armor then Golden Throne.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh poo poo I didn't even thing about that.

Motherfuckin Golden Throne

Changing my vote

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Device ourselves first, then Limosa, then the Kreig Pods, then ourship.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Given that it's some bit of code vs. some physical object, we can use/make multiple instances of it, right? let's get the armor and ship cooking and make our case for the Throne to the high lords or w/e the Terra gubment is called.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

poor life choice posted:

Given that it's some bit of code vs. some physical object, we can use/make multiple instances of it, right? let's get the armor and ship cooking and make our case for the Throne to the high lords or w/e the Terra gubment is called.

Sure, why not. Ill hand wave 'exotic parts' or whatever later if I need to, this isn't meant to dominate the rest of the game :v:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Armor then golden throne

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

40k Wiki posted:

Ferrus Manus, also known as The Gorgon, was the Primarch of the Iron Hands

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006