Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
The emperor made at least 20 avatars/figments, not just one. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Ferrus Manus seems to be where it's pointed, though the Fabricator-General is also reasonably possible. Emperor is pretty unlikely, as he predates human industrial civilization.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Emperor says he did. But if he's a rogue avatar with the memory of Hera in his head, maybe that's just what he believes. Also the conditions were "until the war was won" and Loki was in control of Earth. And the Emperor's first achievement after stepping out from the shadows was to conquer Earth and all...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Figments don't get anything close to a even a minuscule fraction of the power of what the Emperor could do, according to Hera.

Ferrus probably met one and they boned or something.

It would be a very Lowell move to give us misinformation about a concept in the very same sentences he introduced them though. :tinfoil:

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 14, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Emperor flew to Mars in the medieval period and imprisoned the C'tan, I think.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

This whole situation with Golgatha like a broken Athena is firing off her whole plan scheme from the last great war, now.

Finding the other athena-fragment for questioning just became top-priority.

Also that bit about avatars and figments seriously smacks of an understatement where a particularly annoying mind could cast a -full- copy itself into something that looks like it shouldn't, slipping under radars.

Double loving check the pillar. Its effect isn't important, its what's also inside it that is.

Edit: You know that moment when you realize something just after you post? Yeah...

The eldar were bending hell and destiny to get that thing into our hands. Golden rule of mind engagements is it takes a mind to beat a mind, meaning an anti-mind stealth field is a cut above regular stealth technologies. With that in mind, its probably powered by one.

I'm starting to take the Pillar of Suln(sun)/Prometheus connection a little more seriously, actually. If its proof against AI, that means Ohone as a meatbody operator Has A Purpose in this puzzle.

The thing isn't a cloaking device, its a safe.

I was going to joke 'say hello to loki', but reading into the mythology and destiny, odds are the joke is loki had already hijacked Athena (at some point) and that's the backup we just found, because hey, if you're subverted by a mind and have time for a few final gently caress-you's... you use it to make plays they can't see.

What's more likely? Athena turning traitor all on her own, or an enemy agent impersonating Athena? Which one did we reboot?

LowellDND posted:

“You switched sides in the middle of the war! Left us to Odin!” Her attack seemed to only gain in ferocity. ”How dare you not remember?”

If it wasn't athena, it wasn't athena.

LowellDND posted:

A long pause.
<Athena?>
<I’m thinking.>

Another pause, and then her voice came back, almost …. frightened?
<Be very very careful Ohone. Whoever built that made it to hide from Minds. Like me.>

This right here might just be a 'the gig is up' post.

If we're prometheus, and that is the pillar of the sun, and the child of athena and hera thing is coming to pass, in the context of a backdrop involving a war on heaven across a whole galaxy.

The only thing worth hiding to that insane a degree are command and control facilities. The pillar of the sun is olympus.

OR

We're about to get a third pantheon involved. The "place of the pillar of the sun" has references for Egyptian mythology, and considering their architecture, that is a hella slow play for the Minds of Stone. Bravo. The Greek Titans are equally possible, as the men of stone built the gods, and would both explain the prometheus connection(bringing fire to man) and the eldar connection(those who built the other gods would be helpful in getting ynnead online)

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 14, 2015

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Anyone think the fabricator general might be Hades or his avatar?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I miss the days when we could still flip tables.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Toughy posted:

Anyone think the fabricator general might be Hades or his avatar?

Hephaestus.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Hephaestus.

I thought it/he was Loki? Came to Sol? Warned Odin?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

TheParadigm posted:

This whole situation with Golgatha like a broken Athena is firing off her whole plan scheme from the last great war, now.

Finding the other athena-fragment for questioning just became top-priority.

Also that bit about avatars and figments seriously smacks of an understatement where a particularly annoying mind could cast a -full- copy itself into something that looks like it shouldn't, slipping under radars.

Double loving check the pillar. Its effect isn't important, its what's also inside it that is.

Edit: You know that moment when you realize something just after you post? Yeah...

:allears:

Edit: Started a project, comments welcome https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iomHDQSw94M3X8mI3CSFOJO1rJibVW7AXK5Y-xoslqo/edit

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 14, 2015

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

quote:

Abaddon retreats to the Eye of Terra
:allears: clearly the best typo.
Or is it a typo?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Tomn posted:

I miss the days when we could still flip tables.

btw 5 bucks says we're a fragment or built by a fragment of hera

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 14, 2015

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
:awesomelon: Maybe we are all fragments :awesomelon:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Maybe the Emperor is Loki. :tinfoil:

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
18:31 loel looks lie the thread isnt quite sure what to do with hera. I was expecting more the tomn treatment
18:31 loel so Ill have to ponder how to move it along
18:31 Goandy more info
18:32 Goandy like, is she going to kill everyone on the ship
18:32 loel like on the one hand, hera wouldnt really share much
18:32 Goandy I mean, the ship is her right
18:32 loel on the other, moving the story along
18:33 loel yes, the ship is her
18:33 Goandy so is she going to kill us all
18:33 Goandy or tell us to gtfo
18:33 loel good point. I will ponder this
18:33 Thaumocrates use the null rod on her
18:33 loel heh
18:33 loel that would be funny
18:33 Thaumocrates It might even work
18:34 loel it might! xD
18:34 Goandy did the iron hands get their hands on our titan?
18:34 Goandy maybe she could tell us why our line is important
18:34 Goandy or how the hell a primarch knew about her
18:34 Goandy who the fabricator general really is
18:34 Goandy or what he wants/is doing
18:35 loel brb the burger. these are all good questions, should put them in tihe thread so I dont miss them =^_^=

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Are we still on the ship?

Is the ship still at Luna?

If it/we isn't/aren't, would you mind putting it/us back please?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Silly AI gods are trying to take over ship and not listening to us, the protagonist! How dare they?
But we are a Tech-Priest, we and a magos, and whatever else.
And no one threatens our Waifu.

Use the Null Rod on Hera like you would a rolled up newspaper on an unruly dog.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Can't we throw our maxed out tech use test at this problem?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Silly AI gods are trying to take over ship and not listening to us, the protagonist! How dare they?
But we are a Tech-Priest, we and a magos, and whatever else.
And no one threatens our Waifu.

Use the Null Rod on Hera like you would a rolled up newspaper on an unruly dog.

Pretty sure she's not a psyker.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Null rod interferes with psykers, not machines. Also she could kill us in the time it takes to raise the key to our shoulder. That having said, I think you're confusing the null rod for the artifact taken from the luddite cult. We gave that to Fabiyan.

Do not do anything even remotely aggressive. Just order everyone under our command out of the room then start infodumping to the very angry AI in brain melting ultrasound. That way we don't have to worry about underlings trying to overstep themselves and listen in.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Tran posted:

Null rod interferes with psykers, not machines. Also she could kill us in the time it takes to raise the key to our shoulder. That having said, I think you're confusing the null rod for the artifact taken from the luddite cult. We gave that to Fabiyan.

Do not do anything even remotely aggressive. Just order everyone under our command out of the room then start infodumping to the very angry AI in brain melting ultrasound. That way we don't have to worry about underlings trying to overstep themselves and listen in.

Tranplan.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Didn't we already do that?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ralith posted:

Didn't we already do that?

I think so; which brought us to the Fabricator General talking Hera down. Hera and Athena can work out their differences on the way to Golgotha. Road trip!

sullat fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 15, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Bleh. Blinding headache, but Im working through updating the Story So Far doc. If I forget something, feel free to let me know!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 15
Current 24,605
Total Goal: 25,000

War never changes

“Well, as you might have guessed, we’ve been at war ever since.”
She scowled. “Yes. I intend to have a word with my wakers about that. Based on current conditions, it’d be another dozen millennia, or should have been.”
“Well. We are trying to wrap it up. Everyone is going to Golgotha to fight for Athena’s STC. So… we kind of need this ship for that.”
Hera chuckled grimly. “And you want to ensure I won’t interfere.”
“It is a very well designed ship. It might turn the tide.”
She looked at Athena. “Don’t think I don’t see what you are doing. Anyone could see this plan from a galaxy away.”
Athena met her gaze evenly. “Not everyone are Minds.”
“But Minds are the only ones worth noting. Bah. I’ll go on this little jaunt of yours, if only to see your face when you realize you are just her pet, and she is betraying you. This whole thing, all trillion ships, are part of something else.”
“Lady Hera, care to say what that is?” Or even help fight? the thought entered your mind, didn’t pass your lips.
“Of course not. I don’t care if you believe me, and I would rather find enough proof to satisfy my curiosity. Once that happens, she burns.”

You paused, scratched your cheek. “So… you aren’t going to talk to us, and aren’t going to fight us… What are you going to do?”
Hera was staring absently in the distance, and you blinked. You’d never seen Athena appear distracted. Was Hera… healthy? Sane?
How do you fix a Mind?

“Lady Hera?”
She turned away, began walking. “Fix my ship. Go to Golgotha. Laugh at your inevitable betrayal.”
You blinked at Athena, who shrugged.
“Was she always like that?”
“Full of herself? Yeah.”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I've hit my checklist for Luna. Any requests before Terra?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LowellDND posted:

Offer Hera a drink

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Take her to the Krieg bar. Bring Athena along and just start shooting the poo poo. When they squabble, start up Mechadendrite Theater to show how childish they are. Let's be bros. I mean what else are they going to do while we wait?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Go to the amusement park.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Terra: Optimize the Throne.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LowellDND posted:

“Full of herself? Yeah.”

"What if wasn't her? If there's anything I've learned working for the Inquisition, its that people don't just change sides - they are MADE to change sides, or replaced - or possessed. "
"Lets say you're right. How can we prove it?"

"Also, there's something in your core I need to see again. Trust me when I say it's there.... and I think there's someone you need to see once more on Terra."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Does what we've done so far count as optimizing the ship? Because if not then make sure we do that.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

Does what we've done so far count as optimizing the ship? Because if not then make sure we do that.

Yeah, thats pretty much done. Few more months in game, but I've hit all my encounters so I'm willing to fast forward.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh, that's good then.

I hope we get to meet the Man-Emperor of Mankind.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

18:31 loel looks lie the thread isnt quite sure what to do with hera. I was expecting more the tomn treatment

I can't speak for anyone else, but given the fact that we're playing a bastard four-dimensional combination of poker, chess, and craps in a millennia-long game between Tzeentch, the Emperor, at least two and possibly three machine gods (plus the loving Eldar), I've long since given up any hope of making any meaningful and intentional long-term changes that don't result in someone or other screeching "JUST AS PLANNED!"

Basically these days I vote for whatever is either funniest and/or least likely to blow everything up in the next five seconds, when I vote at all. Which doesn't require much questioning.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
I still want to have a 1 on 1 meeting with Athena, ask her what her plan really is at Golgotha

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Tomn posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but given the fact that we're playing a bastard four-dimensional combination of poker, chess, and craps in a millennia-long game between Tzeentch, the Emperor, at least two and possibly three machine gods (plus the loving Eldar), I've long since given up any hope of making any meaningful and intentional long-term changes that don't result in someone or other screeching "JUST AS PLANNED!"

Basically these days I vote for whatever is either funniest and/or least likely to blow everything up in the next five seconds, when I vote at all. Which doesn't require much questioning.

Yeah that's kind of where I'm at. I don't know what to do with Hera because there's really nothing we can do. That's why I'm trying to get them both to just have a good old fashioned boozer. Maybe we can move the narrative at our own speed there.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Talk to Hera, Athena, Fabricator General(on the way back) one at a time, for fucks sake get the dying lord sire on Terra soil ASAP, please do one more feel good thing before the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Tell Hera about the Athena fragment on Titan. Better source of information on what the hell is actually going on than she's likely to find otherwise.