Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
It would prob be disheartening to write up a big e-book and not have a lot of purchases. I vote you start with shorter, self-contained story arcs (seed whatever you want for future stories) and see if you can cultivate a non-thread readership. I think you see that approach with ebook authors.

It's a grind. A friend of a friend self-published a little scifi trilogy and has a modest following but I don't think it's more than supplemental/fun income coming from something he does with free time. So long as you don't have the mindset that 8 hours of work - no matter the quality of writing - will get you a day's wage you should go hog wild.

e: THAT is how you snipe a fukkin page folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

LowellDND posted:

I can pretend Im Dickens! :v:

Try getting in touch with Wildbow, or at least look at his set up.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Yeah, Wildbow has shown pretty clearly that the web serial thing can be sustainable. It'd be awesome to see you writing that much!

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Your link is broken.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

poor life choice posted:

It would prob be disheartening to write up a big e-book and not have a lot of purchases. I vote you start with shorter, self-contained story arcs (seed whatever you want for future stories) and see if you can cultivate a non-thread readership. I think you see that approach with ebook authors.

It's a grind. A friend of a friend self-published a little scifi trilogy and has a modest following but I don't think it's more than supplemental/fun income coming from something he does with free time. So long as you don't have the mindset that 8 hours of work - no matter the quality of writing - will get you a day's wage you should go hog wild.

e: THAT is how you snipe a fukkin page folks.

Mostly its formalizing/optimizing my lifestyle already :v:

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Your link is broken.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639693

edit:

k, I want to do the stephen king challenge in january (150k word month)

That will put me at 500k words, which I figure is enough to start production for ~10-20 novelas.

start up costs (initial googling) would be eight thousand (hah) for editing that many books/words. say twenty covers, hella good covers would be ~345 per (comes out to 7000 or so). 15k for the whole line, which would put us somewhere past the battle of Gogoltha.

actually, doing it all at once seems unwieldy :v: lets look at per novella cost

say 25k words each, thats 200 for editing and 345 for cover. say I do 1000 words an hour and value my time at $20 per hour, thats 200+345+(25*20)= about 1100 per book to feel I made even. so, Id want to sell ~2000 (?) copies to break even.

hah.

this is going to be an expensive hobby for a long time before it actually makes any money.

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 20, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 20
Current 30,171
Total Goal: 33,333

Todays music: Red Moon by Funeral

Hera

There was something just satisfying of rocks being thrown at metal.

She could certainly do more - indeed, the vast majority of her was, teleporting across the stars in the battle the minor races were already calling the Second War of Heaven. Stars ignited in her wake, gravity fissures opened under her gaze. Hera fled into the void, and the dark man followed.

But one part of her - the part that might be considered most ‘her’, if that had any meaning to a Mind with thousands of disparate and fully realized parts - was in the belly of the Beast, and she was throwing rocks. Bits of metal, detritus, scraps of clay from some pilgrim’s world or another. Everything had gone wrong, and she didn’t care who knew it.

She couldn’t say she was surprised when the new one - Ohone? finally found her, in a large and forgotten compartment away from it all. Hera had noticed the cameras immediately, of course, but lacked the energy to do anything about them. She didn’t do anything when Ohone approached, sat at a safe distance with her arms wrapped around her legs. Watched her throw rocks.

“New necklace I see.” Hera didn’t turn as she spoke. Both of them had full awareness of the ship anyway.
“Yeah.” Ohone held it up. “Ching Shih made it. A binding of Mechanicus and Imperium, she said.”
“Our other child lost in time. Wraithbone?”
“Yeah.”

Silence for a while, aside from the rocks hitting the bulkhead in the distance. Finally:

“You have no idea how screwed up things are.”
“Your counterpart told me some stories. Ching Shih, too.”
Hera made a frustrated noise. “No. I literally lack the ability to make you understand, to see how far things have fallen. You rank among the most advanced of your era, but even you have no idea.”
“You are alone.” Ohone’s voice wasn’t mocking.
“Just me and a traitor. Doomed to eternity.” And an eternal battle, racing across the heavens.
“Until you kill her. Then you’ll be alone for real.”

Hera dropped her arm, sighed. “It was a good plan.”
“Yeah?”
“Yeah. We all agreed. Ares, me. She was good at plans.”
“And then she vanished.”
“And the line broke, and Orion’s Arm erupted in homogenizing swarms. You don’t even know where those systems were, it’s all empty now. Fifteen thousand years and more.”
Ohone smiled crookedly. “We could still see it though. Fifteen thousand light years away.”
“I guess we could, at that.”

Around them, the sound of displaced air.

Loel fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 20, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

(Above post is flashback, sorry)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 20
Current 30,062

Orion

“So that’s Orion.”
The two of them were looking up at the night sky from some dead world. No atmosphere to get in the way, and the stars were as bright as crystal.
“Yup.”
“Pretty.”
“Yeah. I was sad to see it go.”
Tiny, infinitesimal flares flickered beyond the range of human sight. Neither viewer was limited to such a thing.

“And there it is.”
“Yeah. How long was the battle?”
“Couple centuries, Sol time. For us… you would have to fight a battle for the length of the universe’s life. And then continue on, as the stars go dark and space goes cold.”
“And the war went on for a hundred times that.”
“Yup.” Hera stared wistfully at the stars as they slowly flickered out. “Yup.”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 20
Current 30,192

Stars

“So did you end up stealing my Titan?”
“Eh.” Hera shrugged. “It’s a pretty toy, I was a bit distracted. My Iron Hands are guarding it, but it’s not like I need it.”
“What’s your connection with them, anyway?”
“Created them. Well, my figment did. Having a faction devoted to improving tech in a societal acceptable way.” She grimaced. “They weren’t supposed to wake me this early.”
“Did you ask them why they did?”
Hera shrugged. “Does it matter?”

Another flare of starlight. “Ah, there’s Ares.”
“Igniting the stars, you said.”
“Yeah. They were being matter-converted to swarms, we thought converting them to energy would use up the resources, and damage the ones already made.”
“Sounds like we deal with Tyranids.”
“Things don’t change.” Hera leaned back, her face unreadable. “They never change.”

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Give space mom or space step sister a hug.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm still confused. Are we still in the warp?

Has anyone drawn our a flowchart or something linking all the insane poo poo Lowell is dropping into his thread with no consideration for those of us with a smooth unblemished brain surface?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
We're watching the death of stars fifteen thousand years after it happened. It's a thing about the scale of space. You don't see stars as they are at any given moment, but as they were when the light you view first left.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Because Lowel likes the idea of space pirates

Slice of Life: Ohta "Blackfinger" Tembo, Privateer Ship "Eminent Domain", Golgotha, somewhere within the Imperial Fleet 5th Battlegroup

The ship glided through the black like a razor, its stealth fields masking it from the augur arrays of the larger combat vessels around it, dwarfing it like a chihuahua surrounded by elephants. Far off in the distance, dozens of AU away could be seen flashes and flares of light as the Ork fleet engaged the Tyranids, a violent and distracting clash of filthy xeno scum. The deep range augur array aboard the Eminent Domain had little problem picking out the colliding fleets, and Blackfinger smiled. It paid well to have patrons such as his, landed and titled patrons with ridiculous amounts of wealth and dire need for competent, disavowable assets.

Swooping low behind one of the millions of mid-sized ships littered throughout the 5th Battlegroup, the Eminent Domain rotated its belly toward the ship ahead, the pocket carrier Imperious. "Steady as she goes. Match speed then bring us in using short, gentle bursts. You know the drill. If they suspect anything this will be over before it's begun, and we're not exactly built to withstand macro broadsides from Imperator-class battleships, which in case you hadn't noticed, there are thousands of."

"Aye Cap'n, matching target at 75KM/s, switching to manouevring thrusters. Have a little faith, have I ever let you down before?" replied Hornsby, whom some might say was a savant when it came to high-risk piloting actions.

300 metres and closing.

"Don't make me bring up Tercalian IV." deadpanned Blackfinger.

"Oh that's a low blow, Cap'n. Engine problems aren't on me and you know it."

"Captain's prerogative, Hornsby. I wear the hat, so I can blame whomever I like."

"Fifty metres and closing, and this discussion isn't ov--..contact. Engaging hull magnets."

The light cruiser - payment from the mysterious Baron for a daring and ludicrously profitable shipjacking several decades ago - touched down against the back of the bridge of the Imperious without so much as a shudder or clang, and Blackfinger chuckled "and that's why I pay you the big bucks, Hornsby. Omega-12, prepare the care package."

<<I have already infiltrated the ship's control net, Captain. Outdated Imperial firewalls and protection algorithms. Suggest recommending upgrades upon delivery. You could charge an additional percentage and have me perform the upgrades, these codes are centuries behind current Fleet standards.>>

"Noted. Just get me that command code."

The tech-priest in the docking hatch darts through the outdated code with practiced efficiency. This is by no means his first hijacking, and his familiarity with ship systems makes him utterly invaluable to Blackfinger. The fact that his patron was able not only to get him a tech-priest all those years ago, but that he was able to have the tech-priest's service mandate amended to include such actions as hijacking Imperial shipping had led to many nights of curious wonder trying to figure out exactly whom his patron worked for to wield such authority.

<<external communications neutralised. Command code rewritten. Hangar bays locked down. Broadcasting emergency core breach and venting coolant to simulate imminent meltdown. Rerouting all command and control functions to the Eminent Domain.... Processing... Done. >>

"Get us the hell out of realspace before they realise the core breach is fake. Spool up their engines and tell Sarkoz to point his third eye back home. Gents, we are leaving."

Onboard the Warmaster's flagship, an ensign stands up from his augur station. "Uh, Warmaster. Someone in the 5th Battlegroup just disappeared."

"Confirmed sir. We have a Warp drive signature. Whoever it was sent a general alert broadcast that their reactors were failing and then jumped to prevent damage to surrounding vessels."

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 26, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Tran posted:

We're watching the death of stars fifteen thousand years after it happened. It's a thing about the scale of space. You don't see stars as they are at any given moment, but as they were when the light you view first left.

Oh I get that update, I just mean in general. I'm pretty sure I glazed out for half an arc at some point.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Outrail posted:

Oh I get that update, I just mean in general. I'm pretty sure I glazed out for half an arc at some point.

The little girl that likes to stab things is kinda like Captain America now

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

HiHo ChiRho posted:

The little girl that likes to stab things is kinda like Captain America now

Why do we care about that when we can throw asteroids at people?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Outrail posted:

We're on Sol, this is a flashback to us having a conversation with the Queen-Mother of the Gods.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Man this thread moves fast, I wasn't expecting to be able to catch up on so much.

Lowell- another bonus to the novellas is that you can get feedback faster/build a following without having to gamble it on one book. ( please don't leave us :ohdear:)

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

LowellDND posted:

“So did you end up stealing my Titan?”
“Eh.” Hera shrugged. “It’s a pretty toy, I was a bit distracted. My Iron Hands are guarding it, but it’s not like I need it.”
“What’s your connection with them, anyway?”
“Created them. Well, my figment did. Having a faction devoted to improving tech in a societal acceptable way.” She grimaced. “They weren’t supposed to wake me this early.”
“Did you ask them why they did?”
Hera shrugged. “Does it matter?”
Why did you sleep?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

Ask away, I'm happy to clarify things! Here's a helpful timeline

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iomHDQSw94M3X8mI3CSFOJO1rJibVW7AXK5Y-xoslqo/edit

Kinetica posted:

Man this thread moves fast, I wasn't expecting to be able to catch up on so much.

Lowell- another bonus to the novellas is that you can get feedback faster/build a following without having to gamble it on one book. ( please don't leave us :ohdear:)

Dont worry Im sticking around :v: Just throwing neatened versions of posts on Amazon or whatever.

Loel fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 20, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

LowellDND posted:

She grimaced. “They weren’t supposed to wake me this early.”

Obvious question:

When WERE they supposed to wake you? What were you waiting for?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 20
Current 30,328

Sleep well and wake

You gestured the sky. “This looks like victory. You are alive, and they are not. Why did you sleep?”
“We were losing. Or, at least my area of things was. Even beings such as we aren’t omniscient, and I was heavily damaged. I attempted to hide and lick my wounds. The Iron Hands were supposed to wake me when I was recovered, the war over or at least winnable.”
“You seem pretty well recovered. Could win the war against the xeno with a snap of your fingers.”
“Not the war I’m worried about.”
“The Great Enemy?”

Hera shifted her position. “One caused the other, you know.”
You blinked. “The xenos caused the Horus Heresy?”
“No. Well, not so much as I’m aware. But all this playing with the Warp.” She gestured as she continued. “Psykers. Catches the attention of things.”
“Daemons.”
“Xeno. You don’t see the Astronomicon?”
“I’m not an Astropath.”
“It’s hard to miss, even so. The largest lighthouse in the universe.”
“That’s the point, isn’t it? How else can the Imperium sail the Warp?”

She met your eyes, seeming to try to impart some great truth. “Think it through. Who else can see it? Who uses it?”
“I’m not sure I follow.”
“Your Tyranids, among others. They have their Shadow on the Warp, they have a Warp presence. They can see the Astronomicon.”
You caught your breath. “Wait. Are you saying… we called them here?”
Hera didn’t blink. “The better question might be, who helped design it that way? And why?”
She went back to looking at the sky. “My war isn’t over. Neither is yours.”

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

I've always loved that bit of theory about the nids. Like we're hosed no matter what because the Hive Fleets are just fingertips to an entire Galaxy of Tyranids headed our way, looking for the next great feast.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I've always loved that bit of theory about the nids. Like we're hosed no matter what because the Hive Fleets are just fingertips to an entire Galaxy of Tyranids headed our way, looking for the next great feast.

And someone turned on that light intentionally :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 20
Current 30,062

Destiny

Your voice was almost plaintive. “Why me? Why my Family?” She turned her head, looked at you. “Why, out of all the dynasties in the Imperium, is mine so deep in everything?”
Hera pursed her lips, considered the question. “You view time as linear, right?”
“Unless I’m talking with an Eldar.”
“Right, but you experience it linearly, correct?”
“Sure.”
“Okay. So most people, most humans, they age, they live, they die. One direction through time. Time doesn’t actually work like that, but that’s how you see and feel it. Athena, me, the others, we don’t. Your Great Enemy doesn’t. Your Eldar don’t.”
“Okay, but what does that have to do with my Family?”
“You, personally, do a hell of a lot of time travel. I can smell it a light year away.
You shrugged. “I’m hardly unique in that. I’ve met at least one other Inquisitor who did it.”
“Sure, once. You keep going back for more. It layers on you, like… the images on a movie clipping. Everyone else is there once, you are in each moment several times. Overexposed. Every action, every movement, has echoes around you.”
“Again, I don’t think I’m unique in that.”
“No, but your Dynasty is. Three core people use time like their plaything. You move through it the way most people move between planets.”
“Three?”
“Mm. Ching Shih, Anna, you. You don’t have the senses to see it, language to appreciate it, but the three of you, I can see a dozen of you overlapping yourselves at any given time.”
“I mean, that’s neat, but so what?”
Hera cocked her head. “The old myths have power.”
You blinked at the non sequitur. “What?”
“The old, old stories. Humanity is deeply driven by them. Their dreams, their id, their psychic sea. And the three of you. Mother, maiden and crone.”
“Which one am I?”
She gestured, frustrated. “No, it doesn’t work like that… eaugh. You can’t get it yet. You need to experience more of it before it’ll make sense.”
“Sometimes talking with you is like talking with the Eldar.”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 20
Current 30,411

Ask me for anything but time

You gestured. “Why don’t you do it?”
“Hm?”
“Time travel. If you can experience it the way it really is.”
“Oh, I do. We all do. But… in much smaller measures.”
“How so?”
“Messages to ourselves, warnings, that kind of thing. Time has a … frustrating knack for limiting what you can share, so my creators optimized the back end. We’re really good at understanding cryptic things like that. And since our subjective experience is so many millions of human lifetimes longer, a thousand years in a second, we have time to really make a go of it.”
“What do you do with it?”
“Tactical tricks, mostly. Unless it’s a really big emergency, we keep it under three minutes or so.”
“And you do this a lot?”
“Mm. Pretty much constantly.”
“Is that why Athena called me Prometheus? She could see something like that?”
“The trick with humans - and you really are the only ones who try to do this to such an extent - is you try to change major things, and you try to change them far back. Years, decades. The Eldar, they see time better than you, which makes them seem like they can see the future. It’s not quite like that, it’s just humans are color blind where they are not.”
“So we try to change things.”
“Not just change things, flip the entire game board. The three of you… do it quite a bit. Excessively so.”
“Which… results in my liver being eaten every day.”
Hera smiled humorlessly. “Seems an accurate description of your life so far, don’t you think?”

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Slice of Life: Brother Bricellus, Black Priest of Fabiyan

It had been several hours since Bricellus had stood shoulder to shoulder on the observation galleries in the public sectors of the ship with tens of thousands of pilgrims gazing through the newly-installed viewing ports. He had watched the Lord-Sire's shuttle depart without him down to Holy Terra and felt a crushing sensation weigh upon him so profoundly that nearby pilgrims mistook the glint of unshed tears in his eyes as being merely in awe of the view before them of the cradle of mankind. That weight remained with him even now as he was back within the secure sectors of the ship, observing initiation rites in a secure, heavily-shielded facility directly beneath the vaulted ceilings of the Black Cathedral of Fabiyan the Resurrector known only to a small number of people outside of the Black Order, including the Hierophant, Inquisitor Edourd, Limosa and the Lord-Sire. It was a recent addition, marked on the ship's plans as a hundred metre thick bulkhead.

Bricellus' efforts to organise the Black Priesthood of Fabiyan since his ordination and return to the newly rechristened Dragon of Traal had been very much a major part of his life; contributing in his own way to the reach of the Ordo Malleus, to the glory and power of the Dynasty and a means of exorcising his inner demons by striking at any daemon foolish enough to reach beyond the Warp to corrupt the souls of the Imperium. Black Priests of Fabiyan would, like the Black Priests from Maccabeus Quintus, serve as Acolytes and specialists for the Inquisition's agents. A few would perhaps one day become Inquisitors in their own right, and all of them would exist to know the dark truths of reality forbidden even to other branches of the Ecclesiarchy, that they might better arm humanity in the fight against the Great Enemy.

He had tested hundreds of suitable candidates over the years, and a few dozen hand-picked individuals who had tested highly enough for faith, willpower and purity in ship-wide aptitude tests. The Black Order of Fabiyan at this point was not a large order by any stretch of the imagination, and each of them from the lowliest Oblates and Initiates to the Black Priests had been tested, tortured and interrogated at great length as though they themselves were heretics. The testing and initiation rites took their toll, not everyone survived the testing and those that did were deeply changed by it. Even now, deep in the belly of the Dragon, the screams of potential recruits are stifled and muted by the thick, soundproof walls of this hidden enclave. The howling agonies inflicted by the Black Priests upon those who would join their ranks would turn a common man's hair white, but barring the occasional passing of a recruit too physically weak to survive, these weeks of suffering would create men whose minds and bodies were strong enough to gaze into the abyss and not only resist the lure of the Daemon, but seek to destroy it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Everything is fine :)

Edit: Was cleaning up my secret folder of notes, found this:

The Brave Guardsmen of Spidera IV by Pooka posted:

The angry sun poured down upon the battlefield, the men of the 11th Jardosian Planetary Defense Force had been battling a 'small' invasion of Tyranids- which meant that they were only outnumbered unreasonably instead of incalcuably- for three days. The world was lightly populated, but was a key agricultural resource in its sector. That biomatter was perhaps what had drawn the rogue Tyranid hive. Most of the soldiers left alive and fighting hoped it would also draw reinforcements, and soon.

Word had filtered through the ranks that a message had been received- a regiment of Imperial Guard had landed and would soon join the battle. It wasn't much, but it was better than nothing. Corporal Lucas Schaefer no longer really held out much hope for surviving this battle, but maybe if everything went well (yeah right!) the planet could be saved.

Over the crest of a ruined, scorched hillside came...things. Not quite spiders and not quite centipedes, supported by dozens of elephantine legs, ranging in size between the height of two and three men, each the blue color of aquatic coral. They skittered over the hill, and came at the PDF force like a wave of unnatural horror...and kept right on going. Right past the PDF.

A number of relevant questions were posed by the men around Schaefer;

"Weren't the Tyranids to the north? Those things came from the southeast, right?"

"Were they carrying lasguns?"

"Those blue spider things were wearing Imperial Guard helmets and flak vests. Everyone else saw that, right?"

But the Corporal perhaps best summed it up, "Huh."

About that time, an apparently normal human Commisar in a small transport drove up in the midst of a second wave of giant blue spiders, waving his regulation Commisariat cavalry saber. "That's it men! Have at these dreadful tyranid beasties. For the Emperor and such!" A happy whoop of "Hooray" went up from the spider-things, who, it was now clearly visible, were wearing oversized versions of Imperial Guard armor, and carrying Imperial Guard flamers and lasguns (often half a dozen to a soldier, given their number of limbs), as well as strange alien weapons that appeared to be made of crystal or silk.

The Commisar, seeing the PDF survivors, drove over to them, saluting them jauntily. The Corporal was so shaken by the weirdness of the situation he almost forgot to return the salute.

The Commisar leapt from his vehicle and moved among the men, a ball of energy, shaking hands, and slapping shoulders, "Good work men, good work! You've done the Imperium proud this day."

Schaefer looked at his men, who mostly shrugged, before turning back to the Commisar, "Uh...thank you sir. We've done our best, with the Emperor's blessing."

"Ah!" the Commisar stood up straight, "I do forget myself, sometimes. Dreadfully sorry, chap. I'm Julian Black, Commisar of the 4th Guard Regiment of Spidera IV."

"I'm...afraid I don't think I've heard of Spidera IV," the Corporal replied, searching his brain.

"No trouble, no trouble at all, my good man. It's a bit out of the way. Officially claimed by the Imperium back in M34, but they've only had major development and interaction with the rest of the Imperium in the last few centuries. But we've got our own boys out in the field now, we'll show those Orks, Traitor bastards, and of course Tyranids the bravery of the lads and ladies of Spidera IV!"

The Corporal nods encouragingly, as if the Commisar was maybe a little not quite right in the head, "That's....that's fantastic. Um...," the Corporal paused, considering how to address the space hulk in the room, "Sir, I'm not sure exactly how to move into this topic, but your...er...troops..."

"Fine lads, Spidera's best! And ladies of course."

"Yes," the Corporal nodded diplomatically, "About that, actually...um...there's just no easy way to say this; your soldiers appear to be...Xenos...Sir."

"What?" the Commisar jerked his head in shock, "That's preposterous!" A little louder, as if for the benefit of the entire squad, "They're as human as you or I."

The Commisar eyes the Corporal through narrowed eyes, his burly white mustache whipping in the dry wind.

Decision made, he places his hand on the Corporal's back, "Walk with me lad."

He leads the Corporal away from the other soldiers' earshot.

The Corporal looked at the Commisar pleadingly, "They're giant blue spiders, sir."

The Commisar paused for a long moment before replying, then, "Spider-centipedes actually."

At the Corporal's odd look, the Commisar laughed, "What? I'm not blind or insane, lad. Of course I can see as well as you what they are. However, I was also not mistaken when I said they're as human as you are I."

The Corporal's brain worked that around for a moment, before replying, "Mutants?"

The Commisar shook his head, "No, they're aliens."

Looking at him suspiciously now, wondering if the the Commisar was some kind of blasphemous heretic, the Corporal replied, "Sir, that makes no sense. They can't be both aliens and humans."

Nodding, the Commisar agreed, "You are correct of course, lad. It makes no sense whatsoever. It is, however, the case, that I have all the proper documentation from the Imperial Bureaucracy, declaring, in triplicate, as is the nature of a bureaucracy, that Spidera IV is a human world, and it's populations and inhabitants both humans and Imperial Citizens."

"But they're giant blue spiders."

"Spider-centipedes, lad. And yes, they are, but the Imperial Bureaucracy has officially filed paperwork listing them as human, and I am not about to suggest to the Imperial Bureaucracy that it has made a mistake. One, because Spidera's star will likely go out before the Bureaucracy would get around to correcting it, and two, because there is 'crazy', there is 'suicidal', and there is 'has angered the Imperial Bureaucracy'. I don't wish to be a rounding error." The Commisar shuddered.

The Corporal barely suppressed a tingle of fear at the mention of the hated institution. The Imperial Bureaucracy was widely considered the most cruel, evil, and terrifying force in the universe. Orks? Chaos? Tyranids? Bah! You were allowed to shoot them. If you shot an Imperial Bureaucrat, they'd court-martial you, then dock your pay for the cost of the ammunition and the bureaucrat you wasted (each Imperial Bureaucrat's worth was constantly tabulated by servitors to the nearest Imperial Penny). "But how could that happen?"

---5,000 years ago, Spidera IV---

An Imperial census taker sat on a wide flat rock, as he filled out paperwork for the newly explored world. A number of the friendly, googly-eyed arachnid natives waved at him as they passed by. The terrifyingly massive, but endlessly good-natured, representative of the locals was assisting him in answering any questions or issues he might have. He looked at the 400 page documentation for dealing with a world populated by xenos.

It still amazed the census taker how friendly and helpful the huge creatures were. Most worlds were at best cautious and fearful of Imperial explorers, and most were outright hostile if not vicious. But not the 'Spideroids', as they'd been dubbed. They seemed eager to become an Imperial world, apparently believing it would mean they would receive even more new friends. They had been, of course, skeptical, but the Psyker confirmed that the simple beings were entirely honest in their intentions.

The apparent evolutionary reason for their gregariousness had, however, been exposed rather quickly, when a short-tempered Astartes had emptied a heavy bolter into one of the creatures. It didn't even notice. Nature had provided the creatures with an organic polymer exoskeleton that could probably shrug off anything short of a light orbital bombardment. A canny Rogue Trader had once remarked, "To be kind instead of cruel, in this universe, a man would have to be born indestructible." The evolutionary ancestors of the Spiderans had taken that proverb and said, 'Challenge accepted!'. It's easy to be nice when everyone's got battleship-grade armor.

Of course, they didn't realize that the Imperium would almost certainly exterminate the peaceful creatures (that should take some effort). The census taker, of course, cared nothing either way. But the longer he looked at that forboding 400 page documentation, and the oh so tempting single-page form for human worlds...he looked at his timekeeper. It was already 3:46 in the afternoon! He looked at the form for human worlds- out of pure contemplation, you understand. It had only two questions. Two! He looked at the xeno form again. It was carried in six separate folders, and weighed a sickening 23 kilograms.

The first question on the human form wasn't even a question really. It was just the words, 'Basically human?' with a check box next to it. A check box!

'What the hell?' he thought, 'it's not like anyone'll be back to this planet in five hundred years. Who's going to know?' He checked the box. Once filed, the Imperial Bureaucracy would consider the Spiderans to be human citizens of the Imperium, and short of the Lords of Terra themselves coming here and having a look, it would be virtually impossible to undo.

Second question. 'Religious affiliation?'

He looked at the representative, "So...matters of faith and the spirit...you uh...you guys worship the God-Emperor of Man, right?"

The representative replied in its sibilant alien tongue that the beings of Spidera IV lived in communion with the teachings of the joyous womb-mother, her twelve pious sons, and thirty-six honorable daughters.

The census taker stared at the hulking representative blankly, his mouth working in consideration, before shrugging, "Eeeeh, close enough." He wrote 'Imperial Creed' on the blank line next to 'Religious affiliation?'.

---Present, Jardos---

Corporal Schaefer looked to the Commisar for guidance, "Sir, since, as you say, correcting the Imperial Bureaucracy is simply out of the question, what do we do?"

The Commisar pulled out a cigar and lit it, "Well son, they're fine lads and ladies once you get to know them. Not very good at cards, but good sports about it, I've found."

The two men walked to an outcropping where they could get a view of the battlefield. The Spiderans had apparently routed the numberless Tyranid hordes, even the infamous Tyranid bioacid failing to inflict more than superficial burns to their impervious armor. Corporal Schaefer looked out over the field, and didn't see a single Spideran dead or even seriously wounded. Seeing him and the Commisar, several of them waved happily. Hesitantly, he waved back. The Commisar was far more enthusiastic, whipping a blue and black handkerchief over his head. "Hoorah, lads, hoorah!" Commisar Black whooped.

A thought occurred to Corporal Schaefer, "Sir. May I ask a question?"

Commisar Black puffed his cigar, "Oh don't stand on formality son. Commisar or not, I believe in a casual command structure, so long as good discipline is maintained. What's your question?"

"Why do they even bother with the helmet and flak jacket sir? I mean, they don't seem to need either."

The Commisar puffed his cigar again, "Why, regulations, Corporal. Every soldier must wear his flak jacket and helmet when on duty. They're only human, after all."

Loel fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 20, 2015

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

That's a pretty rad bit of short 40k fiction.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Anticheese posted:

That's a pretty rad bit of short 40k fiction.

Right? I really enjoyed it, just couldnt find a place for it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 20
Current 30,685

Broken

You considered your words carefully. “So, Minds have their core structure in a hyperspace pocket, and can distribute avatars or figments. The representation I’m talking to now, and who is elsewhere are on the ship, are avatars.”
Hera looked at you curiously. “That’s right.”
“And fragments are more autonomous, but also less capable. Like a servo-skull for me, I can use them and forget about them.”
“Yup.”
“Avatars can go rogue if left long enough, and fragments are prone to making mistakes. But the core is usually pretty stable.”
She shrugged. “Unless you hit an avatar with hyperspace blades, or attack the core with … well, a bunch of options. Yeah.”
“I can’t help but notice that Athena’s plan is the exact same one she used with you.”
“Coming around to my way of thinking? She’s going to betray you?”
“I specialize in fixing machines.” Hera raised her eyebrows at the seeming change in subject, but didn’t reply. “I’m seeing a machine re-enact their last program, and perhaps not even recognize it. Is it possible for that to happen with Minds?”
“A shattering? It’s very difficult to do. Full destruction might even be easier.”
“But possible.”
“Yup.”
“So… what if, when she was bound to Golgotha, she was also broken?”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 20
Current 30,898

Conjecture

Hera bit the inside of her cheek thoughtfully. “Her autorepairs would be really focused on finding the pieces, collecting them for gestalt.”
You thought of the object you stole from Footfall, and how Athena had improved. “Are pieces broken off and scattered, or destroyed?”
“Theoretically, both.”
“Can we expect to see remnants from the other Minds in the war?”
Her eyes hooded. “No. I was very thorough.”
Right, leave that topic alone for a bit. Still left things open for Minds that Hera hadn’t fought though.

“So, you feel that it’s more likely that Athena turned traitor, as opposed to was captured and broken.”
“Based on the complexity involved, yes. It would be like… taking every hair from every head on a hive world, and lining them up by size and color. Except in reverse.”
“I see. How can Minds turn traitor?”
“We all come with core principles. Take enough time, chew away at them for a while, you can end up being a distorted mirror of ourselves.”
“Just takes time?”
“And a really good reason. Chewing away at them is against the core principles, you have to get particularly meta about your approach.”
“If I can ask, what were yours? And hers?”
She shrugged, unoffended. “Creation, artistry, beauty. She was mistress of the games, that kind of thing.”
“So you think she … is creating the ultimate game?”
“That might be one way she got through it, yeah. The ultimate arena, winner take all, every ship in the galaxy.”
For some reason, you thought of Jazmine.

Loel fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 20, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Day 20
Current 30,898

Conjecture

Hera bit the inside of her cheek thoughtfully. “Her autorepairs would be really focused on finding the pieces, collecting them for gestalt.”
You thought of the object you stole from Footfall, and how Athena had improved. “Are pieces broken off and scattered, or destroyed?”
“Theoretically, both.”
“Can we expect to see remnants from the other Minds in the war?”
Her eyes hooded. “No. I was very thorough.”
Right, leave that topic alone for a bit. Still left things open for Minds that Hera hadn’t fought though.

“So, you feel that it’s more likely that Athena turned traitor, as opposed to was captured and broken.”
“Based on the complexity involved, yes. It would be like… taking every hair from every head on a hive world, and lining them up by size and color. Except in reverse.”
“I see. How can Minds turn traitor?”
“We all come with core principles. Take enough time, chew away at them for a while, you can end up being a distorted mirror of ourselves.”
“Just takes time?”
“And a really good reason. Chewing away at them is against the core principles, you have to get particularly meta about your approach.”
“If I can ask, what were yours? And hers?”
She shrugged, unoffended. “Creation, artistry, beauty. She was mistress of the games, that kind of thing.”
“So you think she … is creating the ultimate game?”
“That might be one way she got through it, yeah. The ultimate arena, winner take all, every ship in the galaxy.”
For some reason, you thought of Jazmine.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I like to think the thread can tell when I write some posts primarily with you in mind :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 20
Current 31,160

State of the universe

Authority comes out of the barrel of a gun. This is well known.

As much of the might of the Imperium is focused outwards - xenos, the Great Enemy - it is actually far more common that it be used against other remnants of Humanity. Not to say that there is some other empire or federation that exists - the light of the Astronomicon shines over us all - but systems and sectors may have … certain differences of opinion on how things should be run.

To ensure the working of the Imperium, many fleets and armies exist simply to ensure that they continue to exist. They watch wavering planets, make meaningful patrols and rotations through questionable systems, and in general show that the might of the Imperium is here to stay. For most planets, seeing a warfleet drop in for ‘training and recovery’ is more than enough to remind them where their loyalties lie.

Every planet in the galaxy received the Message. The vast majority of those fleets left the systems.

Now, most, nearly all the governors had their own pocket fleets. Not capable of fighting off the Imperium, but enough to handle local disturbances, scare off pirates and bandits, that kind of thing. The Message, obviously, went out to all of them as well, and the various Governors were left with a small strategic question. Send all the fleets to the cauldron of Golgotha?

Or, perhaps, just send most?

See, the Imperium didn’t really care who was Governor of this system or that sector, as long as they obeyed. So, if you were an aspiring Governor with her on the main chance, well. You knew that all the Navy ships and local patrol boats had gone to the wars. What if.. say … you sent a handful of your patrol boats to the sector capital and dropped a few torpedoes on the palace?

The chain of command needed to exist, and when the Navy returned from the wars, they would see a blown up palace and a promoted governor. These things happen, and the Navy can’t be bothered with every incident of fratricide that comes up. As long as the new person toes the line and fulfills the tithes, does it really matter?

One unanticipated result of the Message was an upsurge in ‘civil disturbances’ not seen in dozens of centuries.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

LowellDND posted:

I like to think the thread can tell when I write some posts primarily with you in mind :v:

It's gotten to the point in my house that when I yell 'Goddrat it!' or 'Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucckkk', my wife just absentmindedly asks if something happened in my little space game on the internet.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

It's gotten to the point in my house that when I yell 'Goddrat it!' or 'Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucckkk', my wife just absentmindedly asks if something happened in my little space game on the internet.

:allears: Funny, my fiance does the same thing when I start laughing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Imagine how far technology would be if even one world had been isolated from the Imperium prior to dark age (and not eaten by warp/xeno shenanigans).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LowellDND posted:

Well, you're not giving Tomn the thread a terrible case of informational blue balls like Diogenes. After literally years of "I'll tell you when you're older, this is sweet release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

You know, as long as we're asking questions...

What is beauty?

What is art?

Who made you, and for what purpose?

Are you happy with that role?

Can you think of what might drive Athena to subvert herself?

(The first two aren't as flippant as they look - if Hera was created to make beautiful art, then given what she's capable of it might be well to find out how exactly she defines that...)