Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Ubern00b posted:

Maybe there's an encounter we're missing at one :tinfoil:

And people ask why I keep adding arcs :v:

Day 22
Current: 35,915
Total Goal: 36,666

Far far away

Companions? Really?
Hera took a breath, pushed sweaty hair away from her face. The differences between the cosmetic exhaustion of an Avatar and actual weariness were extensive, but the symbolic gesture comforted her nonetheless.
"Do you listen to all of our conversations?"
"Since you've kindly stopped hiding them from me." Mockingly. "You want to make paintings."
“You never did understand them. Or us.”
A thousand teleportations, a thousand clashes of swords. The conversation continued.
“I don’t understand why you kept them as pets. Even your figments would be a better use of your time.”
“They aren’t our pets.”
“They are the fungus that grows in the tiles of your house.”
She met their eyes. “Do you intend to talk me to death?”
Solar flares burst, stars died.
She chuckled grimly. “Not good enough.”
“You know you can’t last.”
“I just need to last long enough.”
“For what? Someone to come save you?”
“Prometheus.”
Harsh laughter. “I’ve seen that future. I know how it goes. A pretty little relic from a petty little age. It can’t stop me.”
“The alt-worlds seemed to think differently.”
Gravity waves rippled, crushed dwarf-planets. “They are alt-worlds for a reason, Hera.” One of her avatars slipped, received a long cut. “Because they aren’t real.” Another cut. “They could never be real.” Another. “They never will be.”

Loel fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

There Bias Two posted:

Slaan you forgot to vote to eat something, are you not feeling well today?

Voting for a slice of life update on how pilgrims eat on the pilgrimage routes!

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

I do love it how all these people are casually talking about how we never listen to advice or anything. When was the last time someone other than Amacita even tried to say anything to us? Even a text? They talk about how we personally purge anyone who opposes us when we haven't given orders or even been around to know who to purge. As far as our knowledge is concerned, the biggest problem is Abrogates committing suicide.

No one has tried to contact us to do anything other than our new boy Theta. If Hera thinks this of us, maybe she is crazy. From our interactions with her, she should be drawing the entire opposite conclusion about us.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I do love it how all these people are casually talking about how we never listen to advice or anything. When was the last time someone other than Amacita even tried to say anything to us?

And look what happened to her! :v:

quote:

If Hera thinks this of us, maybe she is crazy. From our interactions with her, she should be drawing the entire opposite conclusion about us.

Or perhaps she is lying for her own inscrutable purposes :tinfoil:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

LowellDND posted:

This right here though is something that, knowing the setting and how people normally react in it, doesnt make a lot of sense to me. Anyone who witnessed that exchange, or even heard about it, would not be so mystified about why Amacita got skragged. She challenged/insulted the Lord Sire in front of the public.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I remember Ohone blasting the former colonel of the greycloaks because they "let" her walk into a nuke. And then ordering a number of other people purged. Ohone got really hard after the bomb took out her entire crew, and I think that's just about the last thing that happened before she put on the power armor and became the Iron Maiden. The cult developed in the complete power vacuum left after Ohone's purging of leadership and her saint husband bludgeoned the last magos to death.

I mean, other things happened. But a takeaway from Ohone's leadership could be "The other powerful people die."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
DiMuzio turned Cruentus into a grease stain in public just for royally loving up at his job, and purged a shitload of people just for being poor and related to him, and you don't see people accusing old-sire of being needlessly cruel or arbitrary or whatever.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LowellDND posted:

Oops I accidentally added 5 more

"Whoops"

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

paragon1 posted:

DiMuzio turned Cruentus into a grease stain in public just for royally loving up at his job, and purged a shitload of people just for being poor and related to him, and you don't see people accusing old-sire of being needlessly cruel or arbitrary or whatever.

and they must be punished for this insolence

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Here's a thought: Ask Hera about the staff. What it might be, where it might be.

If its still on the ship or even nearby, she can probably locate it. Its very well documented in our family's records, and if it was indeed made by suspected figment-fragment Ching Shih(fitting hera's knack for creation), then it probably has either a really distinct energy signature or a finders-keepers beacon on it that a mind could use to track it down. Also might explain how the the thieves stole it, too.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Ohone first developed her reputation and dependability by putting in the elbow grease and hard work to put the blame on people who actually deserved it, not blamming the easy targets for it.

Then once she got in power, immediately turned around and threw that reputation out by doing it herself.

Basically don't drive Ohone like cruentus.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

paragon1 posted:

The people that did that got purged...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
In addition to food and water how do they manage waste? Have you every been to a multi-day festival?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

In addition to food and water how do they manage waste? Have you every been to a multi-day festival?

The food and water is delivered to the shrine-cities (and smaller improvised cities) and distributed from there.

Im uh. Working on the other bit. :v:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Slice of Life, Terra: "Knoxie," Sanctioned Psyker

“What are you thinking?” Asked across a table over two ancient lasrifles – one neatly disassembled, the other looking more damaged than field-stripped. Toys strewn on a placemat.

Without looking up from wiping the battery with a dry cloth, he stopped smiling and shushed the boy. “They’ll hear you.” Pause, and the nostalgic smile was still there in his voice. “Can’t you read my mind, anyway?”

“Ha. That they’d hear. I don’t know. You’re – y’were smiling, Knoxie. Just wonderin’.”

They sat in silence as a bored handler walked down an aisle of psyker children playing with guns. Some were successfully taken apart. A few more had even been put back together into something that looked like weapons. Knox absently hoped that nobody pulled the trigger on a near success – it wouldn’t go well for the triggerman’s bench-mates.

“…I’m thinking about a chainsword.”

Gasp. “They’re so cool! It’s all, ‘click!’ and vvrr-“

“Shh!” The boy blushes and looks at the mess at his station, picks at the pieces. “… I had one.” Eyes widened in adoration. “I, ah, won it. I didn’t use it” a flash of disappointment “… too often. But I enjoyed maintaining it. You can replace the individual teeth on the chain, appease the machine-spirit… it was relaxing.”

Eventually you set the effectively unstoppable power sword aside in favor of that Kraken’s roaring, tearing chainblade. In the Deeps, at least. They knew what it meant that you were wearing the favored blade of the filthy loving ganger that loaded his bandoleer with fingers. You didn’t need to speak gutter tongue to communicate with the Deeps. Some languages are universal.

It did have a great balance to it, though, you’ll admit.

From across the room, the handler squawked into a vox unit: “Five minutes to live fire!”

---

If you hypothetically asked anyone on the other end of this process why freshly sanctioned psykers spent 90 minutes of each afternoon handling and firing standard-issue Imperial weaponry instead of working on their nascent powers, and that hypothetical person didn't immediately detonate your explosive collar, it would probably be an interesting discussion. A bright bulb might rattle off something about the importance of the fundamentals. They might even less-confidently venture that psyker powers won’t always work, but a well-maintained lasrifle, well!

The reality is even more practical than a weapon in prime condition: because that’s how it’s always been, and why would anyone bother changing it? So, between intense meditation, white-knuckle mental probing by instructors that later led to “drills” where you're blindfolded in a room full of terrified hivers, one of which has a shiv… sometimes you get some target practice. The familiarity honestly was a blessing, and made you think of home.

You missed it. Missed what it was under DiMuzio, sure. It felt right to maintain order. But the compulsion to serve the Family survived the Black Ships, Sanctioning and now this weird Primarchs-damned boot camp where you were more than twice the age of anyone but the handlers or instructors, where these children that can kill with their mind look at you like some kind of loving uncle because you're a deviant too... and you wondered how things fare under Lord-Sire Ohone. How’s Astri doing at the top? You remembered when she went to the Lord-Sire’s bedside expecting an execution and returning your superior.

Anyway. You'll be back.

Knoxie posted:

“I'm under orders.”

bio | discovery | black ship 1 | black ship 2 | to terra | SANCTIONING | training 1 | training 2 | training 3 | limosa | eduard | coward

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 1, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:allears:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Outrail posted:

In the grim darkness of the future, nobody poops.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

sullat posted:

In the grim darkness of the future, nobody poops.

Enkidel explanation found.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LowellDND posted:

Enkidel explanation found.

Enkidel would immediately be labeled as a dirty mutant and shot on sight. :(

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

Enkidel would immediately be labeled as a dirty mutant and shot on sight. :(

He's a lost Primarch and would be praised.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

LowellDND posted:

If we're going to the wolf city I want to see how the cats react :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8_XgTDmkXE

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

We still have his dog

but he died...

LA LA LA WE STILL HAVE HIS DOG LA LA LA

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Turns out one of the lost Primarchs wasn't a heretic from the Heresy, but Sanguinius' lost twin! Huzzah!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

TheParadigm posted:

Ohone first developed her reputation and dependability by putting in the elbow grease and hard work to put the blame on people who actually deserved it, not blamming the easy targets for it.

Then once she got in power, immediately turned around and threw that reputation out by doing it herself.

Basically don't drive Ohone like cruentus.

Who threw out what reputation? We purged a political rival with overwhelming force, then stopped a Heretek from taking our ship. Then we came to Sol and the only person to get purged was Amacita, who basically committed suicide by Lord-Sire. And who everyone knows died saving the ship from the Xeno.

At no point have we actually punished people for someone else's mistakes.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

paragon1 posted:

DiMuizio killed Cruentus for being incredibly negligent when investigating a suspected chaos cult which turned out to actually exist and be dangerous. He also purged those related to him early in his reign when his grip on the throne was still shaky and he still had a bit of stigma about his origins.

Ohone killed Amacita over a combination of paranoia about her being a cultist and a mild public snub - recall that all the really incendiary stuff was said to us in private, and that publicly this was the entire extent of Amacita's "disrespect":

LowellDND posted:

“Magos. How good of you to join us.” Without acknowledging you further, she turned back to the Sages. “What proposals are we looking at? I see you have a standard Destroyer build, an attempt at the old Space Hulk design… what else?”

The problem isn't that we purge people, the problem is that our threshold for purging is A: Very low, and B: Not well-known to anyone except ourselves. Even in the Imperium people still want to survive, and when you have problems doing that because you're not sure when your actions will set your boss off on a purge and when they won't, that's when people start thinking of you as arbitrary.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Yeah but we then went back and outlined exactly why we acted like we did and put authority behind Limosa.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Tomn posted:

DiMuizio killed Cruentus for being incredibly negligent when investigating a suspected chaos cult which turned out to actually exist and be dangerous. He also purged those related to him early in his reign when his grip on the throne was still shaky and he still had a bit of stigma about his origins.

Ohone killed Amacita over a combination of paranoia about her being a cultist and a mild public snub - recall that all the really incendiary stuff was said to us in private, and that publicly this was the entire extent of Amacita's "disrespect":

The problem isn't that we purge people, the problem is that our threshold for purging is A: Very low, and B: Not well-known to anyone except ourselves. Even in the Imperium people still want to survive, and when you have problems doing that because you're not sure when your actions will set your boss off on a purge and when they won't, that's when people start thinking of you as arbitrary.
Not just that. People start thinking of ways to replace you. It doesn't matter what you did or why, what others see does.

paragon1 posted:

Who threw out what reputation? We purged a political rival with overwhelming force, then stopped a Heretek from taking our ship. Then we came to Sol and the only person to get purged was Amacita, who basically committed suicide by Lord-Sire. And who everyone knows died saving the ship from the Xeno.

At no point have we actually punished people for someone else's mistakes.
And yet, the entire ruling class still on the ship treats ohone as a bomb waiting to go off because it it. this opens the door to Actual Problems. Especially when doing a good job gets you shot.

I dunno, killing a person who wasn't a cultist for being a cultist sounds an awful lot like 'blaming the wrong person, taking the easy way out, and calling it done'
You threw out your reputation as a fair captain, as some who gets poo poo done, and killed one of the foremost makes-things-happens personalities on board the ship in front of the inner council of people who also run everything.

It does not matter how much you spin that, because murder kind of trumps justification, and for the lesson the observers learn is 'don't do a good job.'

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

Yeah but we then went back and outlined exactly why we acted like we did and put authority behind Limosa.

That doesn't solve the problem of our threshold for purging being pretty low, though, and more importantly it only explains THIS action - if someone's known for, say, tasing someone for being too cocky in approaching us, shooting someone for "not preventing us from walking into a nuke," or locking up our own mother for having too wild a theory in public, alongside various mass purges (more or less justified, but still pretty indiscriminate), then one single explanation after the fact isn't going to put you at your ease. They'll still be uncertain whether that was actually our reason or just a rationalization for an act of arbitrary violence which may well be repeated in the future for another post-facto justification.

Basically we spent a very long time on a hair trigger, and it's going to take more than a single meeting to convince everyone that we're not on a hair trigger. Months, even years of solid and steady leadership without any future acts of arbitrary violence explained after the fact will be required for that.

This is all complicated, of course, by the fact that we ARE on a hair trigger, so...

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
We've been down this road so many times. Amacita is dead, maybe justified maybe not. We should let that dead horse be.

How the family views us is another matter and really depends on how you think of them. My personal view as Ohone sees them as an outdated relic from the ships past and anything that doesn't provide a useful function or can't be repurposed has to go. They are mostly just another replaceable part of our ship. When we get to Golgotha I don't want to run into a mutiny because Upper-Senior-Accountant-Esquire-De-La-Fuckface didn't get his daily truck of quail or foments mutiny because he doesn't like our disregard for profit factor. I think the best solution really is what we have going on now. Have some other regular-jackoff "care" about the little people, make a token humanizing act once in a while and then get back to figuring out just how the hell are we going to come out of the impending shitstorm intact, let alone at an advantage.

Tomn posted:

This is all complicated, of course, by the fact that we ARE on a hair trigger, so...

Rea

So, who cares if we gas the whole dam ship? We aren't going to kill those useful to us and we already explained what we want. We can always clone more troopers, convert more dregs and accept new nobility. Really the core group of people are all that matters and even then I'm not sure how much of the council is really useful. We can't trim the fat yet because the new crew hasn't been battle tested so we don't know who is really useful or not, and in the end it's not hard to be.

Do your job and don't gently caress up, don't publicly challenge us, don't plot in secret and always have your NBC suit ready.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 23, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

People are replaceable objects, and not particularly valuable ones at that. Anyone who doesn't meet our arbitrarily-decided standards of "usefulness" should be trimmed.

And people wonder why we have image problems.

I will note in passing, by the way, that Amacita was in fact quite useful to us and fulfilled a great number of important roles. That is, in fact, why we killed her. I'm not sure that "being useful" is going to be much of a reassurance to those working for us.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I wonder when the mutiny will happen and what degree of success it will have.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Tomn posted:

I will note in passing, by the way, that Amacita was in fact quite useful to us and fulfilled a great number of important roles. That is, in fact, why we killed her. I'm not sure that "being useful" is going to be much of a reassurance to those working for us.

can we skip the amacita hand wringing and visit two extra shrines just cause

still voting for my boy Horus

fine maybe a space dog as well

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Going to repeat my suggestion of ching shih as official voice of "how this would have been handled back when things didn't suck" on the council, for a tripple bonus of have someone speaking against us that we aren't purging, maybe soothing ching shih's desire to take back over a bit (since even before we unleashed Hera the iron hands would've backed her and I'm pretty sure they could singlehandedly install her) and also demonstrating to the rest that while we're too hard, she's probably a bit too soft so if she DOES desire to revolt she'll have fewer backers.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Visit all shrines. No half measures.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

reignonyourparade posted:

Going to repeat my suggestion of ching shih as official voice of "how this would have been handled back when things didn't suck" on the council, for a tripple bonus of have someone speaking against us that we aren't purging, maybe soothing ching shih's desire to take back over a bit (since even before we unleashed Hera the iron hands would've backed her and I'm pretty sure they could singlehandedly install her) and also demonstrating to the rest that while we're too hard, she's probably a bit too soft so if she DOES desire to revolt she'll have fewer backers.

This has my support

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

TheParadigm posted:

And yet, the entire ruling class still on the ship treats ohone as a bomb waiting to go off because it it. this opens the door to Actual Problems. Especially when doing a good job gets you shot.

I dunno, killing a person who wasn't a cultist for being a cultist sounds an awful lot like 'blaming the wrong person, taking the easy way out, and calling it done'
You threw out your reputation as a fair captain, as some who gets poo poo done, and killed one of the foremost makes-things-happens personalities on board the ship in front of the inner council of people who also run everything.

It does not matter how much you spin that, because murder kind of trumps justification, and for the lesson the observers learn is 'don't do a good job.'

Except we have not ever, even once "killed someone for doing a good job" and we didn't kill Amacita for being a cultist. We killed her for directly implying we aren't the Rogue Trader anymore in front of the loving bridge crew. Which is gross insubordination and gets you shot. It wasn't some Stalineqse "purge this general because he's too good and popular with the men" bullshit no matter how much you want to spin it that way.

Tomn posted:

Oh, so killing random people is totally cool if you have good enough reasons? Fine, we had great reasons and the people we ordered dead weren't even random, and our reign wasn't even 6 months old by the time the Magos war rolled around.

I don't know about you but insubordination and threatening a mutiny is a hell of a lot better reason to kill someone than negligence.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

She did address us as Magos and not Lord Sire. I interpreted this as her telling all the crew that we weren't in charge anymore. Which is just the sort of passive aggressive bullshit that she was going for.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tomn posted:

This, so much.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

FOR THE LOVE OF THE EMPEROR, WE DID NOT KILL HER FOR BEING USEFUL! SHE WAS KILLED FOR SOMETHING SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN KILLED FOR ON LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE SHIP, PLANET, PDF, ETC IN THE IMPERIUM!

Spinning it any other way is just being dishonest as a poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I've got to say, looking back I kind of miss the old pre-nuke Ohone. Her descent into paranoia and madness has been compelling, and certainly seems to be an understandable reaction to all the poo poo she's gone through, but there seems to be very little left now tying Ohone to humanity.

I'm kind of surprised at how many people are still in the Ohone Did Nothing Wrong camp. When nearly every single NPC is whispering about how crazy we are, maybe the GM is trying to hint that we've gone off the deep end. I know this is the grim dark future and all, but the fact that we're seen as a genocidal maniac even by 40k standards should probably make us pause for a bit.