Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Hey remember that Machine Spirit box? Conjure up some really nasty spirits and feed them into that neural web. We will burn this thing out in the ether if physical fire runs low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

LowellDND posted:

The sacred binary erupted in an ear shattering dirge, the oldest song known.

Does anyone else think of Bender praying in binary when this comes up?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
C

Pump tons of horrible noise into that nervous system. Feedback signals, wildly shifting voltages and horrific sensory recordings. Let it knows what it feels like to be burned alive before we actually burn it alive.

Also shout out "cha-Ching" to Tanya right as we gently caress up the spider matrix.
Shake it baby! Red Alert Owns

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 9, 2015

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
C first, but grab samples afterwards. We can make our own distributed spider later.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

C+D, see if we can make this thing convulse, then save some samples for later.

Works for me

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Colonel Wood posted:

C Ride the lightning

Flash before my eyes
Now it's time to die
Burning in my brain
I can feel the flames

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Volmarias posted:

C+D, see if we can make this thing convulse, then save some samples for later.

This. Always be sciencing.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Current Polling:

A
B
C x x x x x, x
D x
C/D x x x
E

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
C Yeaaah let's not bring an infestation of hell spiders back.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

paragon1 posted:

C Yeaaah let's not bring an infestation of hell spiders back.

Kinda gotta agree with this. If we had full lab facilities, maybe, but up here? Hell no. Plus it's a pretty good way to tell Mother not to gently caress with us - if she's friendly, she'll be happy the spiders are gone. If not, well, we've destroyed her enforcer and she should stay out of our way (and/or burn horribly).

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If we don't napalm her house from a mile away I'm gonna be super disappointed.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

My xcom game is going well, so Im in a good mood. Let’s do another post!

Ride the Lightning

Your retinue wasn’t ready to give another push - out of ammo, out of will, possibly out of their minds. But they had done their job; they had gotten you where you needed to be, in the center of the xeno’s control interface. You could see the utility in having a distributed neural net - it might let you think a hundred thoughts at once, as well as being more resistant to things like headshots. Here, though, the xeno had failed to consider one vital thing.

It should never have allowed a Tech-Priest so close.

Mechadendrites flaring, you plugged yourself into its brain. You knew the Omnissiah was with you, and you knew your faith would overcome this pitiful little animal. It had forgotten the most important truth: flesh corrupts. Flesh dies. Metal, however, is eternal. You had spend the better part of your life fused with metal, and meshing with a neural network of carbon instead of silicon was child’s play.

You weren’t aware of it, but your body began spasming wildly as it tried to take in the new and strange information loads. You were simultaneously Ohone, Tech-Priest of the Omnissiah, but you were also a distributed brain of predation stretched across a kilometer of chambers. You were a thousand little spiders, creepy-crawling across hidden tunnels, and you looked at the invaders in your lair and hungered.

Your retinue was defending itself in a last ditch effort, even as the next wave of spiders attacked anew. You felt the simultaneous joy as spiders began burrowing and eating, and the gagging horror of knowing you were consuming your followers. Even now, they approached your catatonic body, and you watched your metal form with fractal eyes. Reaching out to the Omnissiah, you stretched out your mind. You were damned to the Warp if some animal that couldn’t even move anymore would defeat you.

You began striking and thrusting at the enemy mind, the mind that was you. Disruptive frequencies of binary sang. Your mechadendrites danced with electricity, the powerpack from your hellgun driving lightning into its/your neural net. You twitched and spasmed from the electrocution, and you couldn’t say for sure what body was really yours.

You began to focus on your own self destruction, summoning feedback signals and wildly shifting voltages. Dredging up memories of horror, you brought forth people being processed in the recyclers, spiders being crushed under rock, the cleansing flame. In the back of your mind, a golden face was laughing.

You awoke to being slapped. You looked dazedly about you. The neural webs were all silent and unmoving. The past fireworks of a great mind had stopped, and instead you were simply in a tunnel of refuse and corpse meat. You shifted uneasily - you had fallen on the crunched bones of a dozen explorers, and their sharp edges were digging into your skin.

Matthais was looking at you concernedly. Around you, a hundred dead spiders, broken up by gunfire and flame. You remembered eating your retinue, and vomited. The body was still there, half devoured. Mournfully, you realized you hadn’t even learned their name. And they hadn’t just died for you, you had killed them. For no other purpose than your own hunger.

The darkness was almost gone. Everyone who survived looked much better, no longer crushed by the mind of that beast. They were exhausted, yes, wounded, many of them. But they were alive, and felt it. They knew they were the victors of this fight, and they knew they had you to thank for it. Omnissiah, some of them were smiling! Didn’t they know that you were the teeth at their throat?

Painfully, you sat up, looked around. Of your original twenty five, you were down to ten. Assuming that the four you had left behind had survived, you had fourteen. Casualties of nearly fifty percent weren’t altogether unusual for Imperial Guard units, but you’d rather not spend such loyal followers without a good cause. Time to see if it was worth it.

Walking - stumbling, more so - you made your way to the corpse of the great mind who you had fought with static binary and chemical flares. It was a great old thing, the size of your Chimera, and you looked at the brain excitedly. If at all possible, you had to bring it back to your labs for research. How had it managed to attack your troops’ morale so effectively? You wanted that weapon.

Your retinue was already pushing through and cleaning the debris, trying to find the Machines that operated this platform. They could scarcely be called Machine-Spirits, you knew - knowing to move up and down in an optimal manner did not take any gift of imagination. It was more likely to be some hardware error. Glancing through what your troops had found, you nodded to yourself.

It was a simple fix, all in all. The cave spiders had stopped any technician from fixing it, but now that you had made it through, it was the work of an acolyte. You even showed Matthias what went wrong, and how to fix it. The lights flickered on, and the platform began humming, eager to serve its human masters once more. The troops gave a cheer.

Now, what to do with it? More precisely:

What to do about Mother?

A. Go to the surface directly. You might had to dodge some xenos, but you can get the General know about the new passageways. Also, he will probably direct some troops to secure the Subsixers. You don’t have the resources to crush Mother if needed.
B. Go below, and see how Mother responds to the death of the spider. Either she’ll be grateful or intimidated, but she will tell you where the refinery is.
C. Go below, but don’t take the elevator. Instead, restock weapons, and surprise attack Mother. She cannot be allowed to surface, and you will need surprise to destroy her.
D. Go below, and ally with Mother under any reasonable terms. A psyker as follower/ally would be tremendously useful against Limosa.
E. Something else.

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 17, 2016

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

A, get above and back into contact

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B Time to call in our marker. We mustn't lose sight of why we came down here in the first place.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
C. Our mission is still the refinery, and we are, in no way, no uncertain terms, allying with Mother. She is an abomination that is either headed to the Emperor's plate, or getting shot repeatedly with hellgun bolts.

Actually, while we were mind-melded with the Spiders from Mars, did we get any news of an alliance with Mother? If so, we should leverage that against her. Why should we kill her if the Subsixers will do it for us, after all?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

mepstein73 posted:

C. Our mission is still the refinery, and we are, in no way, no uncertain terms, allying with Mother. She is an abomination that is either headed to the Emperor's plate, or getting shot repeatedly with hellgun bolts.

Actually, while we were mind-melded with the Spiders from Mars, did we get any news of an alliance with Mother? If so, we should leverage that against her. Why should we kill her if the Subsixers will do it for us, after all?

-rolls dice- It looks like... the spider viewed her as it's biggest potential meal. Its hard to say if that means alliance (being as a somewhat xeno/animal intelligence), but the spider seemed to desire eating Mother above all else.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
B

That was a kick rear end battle scene and I knew as soon as I read what your Cocktail was where you got it from.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

B

That was a kick rear end battle scene and I knew as soon as I read what your Cocktail was where you got it from.

Thank you! I thought we hadn't had a gun fu battle in a while, so a rappel fight vs spiders seemed worthwhile :D

A x
B x x
C x
D
E

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Good thing we had a Tanya unit for the anti-infantry!

A . Get to the surface and as the elevator rides we should begin to defragment and compartmentalize the memories of the Xeno to prevent corruption and to also study it's biology.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Arkanomen posted:

Good thing we had a Tanya unit for the anti-infantry!

:psyduck:

Dual big pistols
Snarky attitude
Highly Athletic
How is she with explosives?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

C

Deadmeat5150 posted:

:psyduck:

Dual big pistols
Snarky attitude
Highly Athletic
How is she with explosives?

Very very good.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Got a present for ya![/Havoc]
A little C4, Knocking at your door.[/Navy SEAL]

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Tanya would make a great bodyguard/agent. Ask her if she wants to go exploring on a huge scale.

C. We can spin the story so that we not only save people from a rogue psycher who was manipulating these people into becoming inhuman, we also killed the very thing the psycher had based itself on, and was in league with: a multi-mind spider demon thing. That way, we save the people, get them tied to us as a savior instead of a hard to control, insane psycher, and eliminate something that would prove problematic to keep.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Heh. Spin.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

E Use the artfifact and the spider brain to get close to mother and hack her brain to steal the location of the refinery. Bonus points if we can siphon some of her power. Then we burn Mother. This is probably a terrible idea

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
B+D.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
D. But let's interrogate her first.

Also examine Tanya, she's been changed by something, let's make sure she's not corrupted as well.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Vote is still intriguingly close

A x x
B x x x
C x x x
D x
E x
B/D x

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If we're going to be an Inquisitor in truth we need to start building our Retinue. The sergeant is totally going to be in it, but Tanya should be and well. We should see how she shoots left handed.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Crush the witch

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I wonder how many corruption points we gained from touching the spidermind?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

VanSandman posted:

I wonder how many corruption points we gained from touching the spidermind?

Probably few. It's not a chaos thing, just very, very xeno.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Is A then B incompatible? I'm not sure that we could take Mother on our own as it stands, especially so low on supplies, but if we can call this in do we lose the opportunity to take the plant up?

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
B

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

my dad posted:

Probably few. It's not a chaos thing, just very, very xeno.
We probably took an insanity hit though. And... B. We need that refinery.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
B
We need that refinery, and I believe Mother can at least be placated until a force suited to combat her becomes available. We were in danger just speaking to her, and we don't need to lose more men when patience and guile could still destroy her.

LowellDND you are one of my new favorite authors on this site, and you write frequently no less!! Your style is superior to those of many Black Library writers, and you should write more (and more and more and MORE AND MORE I CANT GET ENOUGH SERIOUSLY)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Eumenides posted:

B
We need that refinery, and I believe Mother can at least be placated until a force suited to combat her becomes available. We were in danger just speaking to her, and we don't need to lose more men when patience and guile could still destroy her.

LowellDND you are one of my new favorite authors on this site, and you write frequently no less!! Your style is superior to those of many Black Library writers, and you should write more (and more and more and MORE AND MORE I CANT GET ENOUGH SERIOUSLY)

Thank you! Im hoping to send a sketch to the BL story contest next week, so we'll see if it goes anywhere. Deathwatch isn't my home neighborhood, but I think I can make it work.

A x x
B x x x x x, x
C x x x x
D x
E x
B/D x
A/B x

It looks like B is inching forward, but Imma give it a few more hours to be sure.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
B We have a job to do, and Ohone has faced down a daemonhost. A witch with delusions of divinity isn't going to make her back down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
50% casualties fighting a hive of psychic superspiders. Just another day in the Imperial Guard.