Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
B-b-b-b-b-boker face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

In light of the fact that framing our relatives and stealing the ship was more complicated then voting to simply do so, I would like to register that I am having second thoughts about that.

Let's actually find out what is wrong and not frame anyone.

Besides, for all we know this could be a test from the Inquisition. If there was no corruption here and the Inquisition knows that and we frame the Rogue Trader in the hopes we inherit... what happens?

What if there is actual heresy and they already know who is responsible and this is a test to see if we are willing to betray a SPECIFIC family member, or to test our competence and see if we can sniff them out? Trying to frame someone presumes the Inquisition does not already know who is guilty, which they may.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 25, 2014

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Diogines posted:

In light of the fact that framing our relatives and stealing the ship was more complicated then voting to simply do so, I would like to register that I am having second thoughts about that.

Let's actually find out what is wrong and not frame anyone.

I think there's a solid chance that some part of the family is involved. But, I do support getting real evidence.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

While I do totally support the "steal the Warrant of Trade" plan and have a few sketches for what happens then, understand that the current Lord-Sire, and a couple of other players, are quite intent on it ;) It's not going to be one vote now we're playing Rogue Trader.

There are about a thousand people in the Family aboard this ship, and many of them want the same thing you do.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

What about two votes?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Diogines posted:

What about two votes?

Sure. Hijack a ship cannon, aim it inwards, take the ship hostage, nothing will go wrong. :devil:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
This is 40k. We'll be fine; I'm sure someone will sneeze in a way that violates the precepts of our faith or something before too long.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Sure. Hijack a ship cannon, aim it inwards, take the ship hostage, nothing will go wrong. :devil:

I WAS going to wait at least for one more update until I suggested that...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Diogines posted:

I WAS going to wait at least for one more update until I suggested that...

My prepared notes for anticipating the thread had you framing the rogue trader like 6 months from now. Let's not quibble about time tables

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

By "framing" do you mean framing him within the sights of the ship's canon we are about to hijack?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
A naive vote for exploring the dregs and serial killers.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
But that would actually mean investigating and making inquiries. Just how inquisitive do you think we are?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Waci posted:

But that would actually mean investigating and making inquiries. Just how inquisitive do you think we are?

I don't like that psyker though lets "investigate" and get him killed ASAP.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Can Psykers read minds or just make them melt?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Depends on the psyker.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
B. Stick with what we're good at.

As an unnamed cyborg lady and as a shield of humanity, our name should be Aegis.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

a x
b x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
c x
d x x

Well, thats pretty decisive.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The natives are restless

Oddly enough, the ship batteries are probably the least holy site on the ship. Compared to the magnificent Machine Spirits that occupy the bridge, the engines, or the treatment plants, these machine spirits are shallow things, focused on simple tasks of mechanism and chemistry. Kept isolated from the center of the ship, they are distant and secured by dozens of blast walls. An angry Machine Spirit is a terror, but when its in control of cyclone torpedoes, it can destroy an unprepared ship.

In the same way, to minimize possible danger, the crew who maintain the holy batteries are kept well away from the Grateful burden, and Woodhouse quietly murmurs to you that in these recent years, only the elders of the crew leave their sacred duties when they need to resupply. Other than that, the people of the battery never see the people of the rail, and that is how the Machine Spirits like it.

Your approach to the old batteries goes well. Dressed in the blue cloak of your rank and standing, the tribe watches you with curiosity and awe. It is not common for the officers to visit this deck, and their accoutrements of rank are a sad imitation of your own. You can identify their elders by their advanced age and blue cloaks, but certainly not the same length as your own - they wouldn’t want to suggest they have the same prestige as one such as yourself.

You never visited these batteries as a child, but they have a certain familiarity to someone who has spent their life on a forge world. Vast stores of torpedoes lay nearby, waiting on tracks that would be greased, pulled with hooks and long lengths of rope and cable. The center of the village, the battery itself, a sacred object of holy veneration. The tribe seems eager to tell you their rituals, and how they have held to them, as is their duty and obligation.

The feast goes on for hours - strange meat-beasts a meter long are herded and grilled, while similar beasts are used for a most howling dirge. Apparently if held a certain way, this breed can make a hideous music, which the elder details with you with glee. The pipe beasts are used at all ritualistic events, including war, and their shrieking fills the other battery tribes with fear. He goes on to detail recent battles and wars between decks, travelling the old and forgotten paths, a jungle of machinery and oil and steam. Wild meat-beasts are collected from there, and glory taken from rival tribes. Which brings him to the meat of the issue.

The new tribe does not know the rituals, they do not know the sacred routes, the safe places, the ebb and flow of truce and combat. But they cannot be taught to strangers. The elder looks to you, and says, “We cannot teach the rituals to outsiders. They must accept their subordination to us, and become a client tribe, or they must offer their children in union to ours. We will follow your direction, but that is how it has always been.”

You demur to answer at this time, and the elder nods, awaiting your judgement. After more hours of ritual feasting and hideous music, you make your goodbyes, and go to the next gun battery, which is a place of easy familiarity. Your red robe gains entrance and subservience, and they seem eager to have a Tech-Priest them into this new place of strange duties and sacred observance.

They are serfs from the Eastern continent, and while you’ve never met them, you’ve trained in the hive cities they are from. They greet you as family, ecstatic that someone so close has made the transition to the ship with them. The high-technician there, a woman perhaps half trained as you, but cunning and with extensive machine replacements, greets you eagerly.

“Normally, we would just challenge them to a race and call it done. You’ve been to the hives, you know how it works. We both build a racing machine, determine the route, and go to it, and winner gets bragging rights and seniority. We sent a few messengers with the idea, but they just got attacked for “‘trespassing in a holy site.’ We were really hoping you could come up with a compromise with them.”

Quietly, Woodhouse texts to your datapad. “The Magos is always in need of new servitors. We could simply walk this group to him, and let the problem resolve itself. Then the old crew can spin out a colony on the new gun, and no one will be the wiser. It will certainly be faster.”

You nod at this, and reply:

A) Trial combat and subordination. One group wins, ending this nonsense, and its minimal blood spilled.

B) Grab a few kids and have them perform a marriage ceremony. Then they can be in the mess of family alliances like everyone else is.

C) Racing machines! We can have the track go through the bowels of the ship, there should be some sweet crashes.

D) Walk them to the servitor machines.

E) Something Else

Loel fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 25, 2014

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
D It is most efficient to solve two issues at once. The machine spirit and it's tenders shall be appeased. We shall resupply the ranks of the servitors. Praise to the Omnissiah.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
C; Now this is pod racing!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

B. We don't need to be unnecessarily cruel when we don't have to be. Besides, our reputation for Solomon Emperor like wisdom will help keep the rabble in line when we own this ship.

These are the Emperor's loyal citizens and should be protected.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Doomed to servitude
We don't have time for this nonsense.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Diogines posted:

B. We don't need to be unnecessarily cruel when wr don't have to be. Besides, our reputation for Solomon Emperor like wisdom will help keep the rabble in line when we own this ship.

Mercy is for the weak!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

That sounds like Chaos talk!

BLAM!

If we slaughter folks who have not yet disobeyed us, will others obey knowing their loyalty or disloyalty is irrelevant to how we handle them? That breeds disloyalty and heresy!

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
I hope our servant isn't a drug addict like Archer's Woodhouse.

D It's a good idea to get on the right side of our tech priest brethren.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
Let's do like a best of 3 challenge with some combat, racing and then a God knowledge quiz or something. So A + C + a little E.

and after all that, we should probably marry some people up.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Diogines posted:

That sounds like Chaos talk!

BLAM!

If we slaughter folks who have not yet disobeyed us, will others obey knowing their loyalty or disloyalty is irrelevant to how we handle them? That breeds disloyalty and heresy!

There is no slaughter. The current personnel cannot complete the tasked required of them by the Empire. They will go to serve the empires needs in another capacity. If a part malfunctions but is still useful then replace the part and rework the old to its new purpose.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Notice how the poster doesn't call for reasonable negotiation.

Vote 'D' to crush this heretical nonsense and restore order!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Eh, as any good Tech-adept who has learned the basics of the Biologos, it is good to bring in new breeding stock occasionally. Elsewise, Chaos can take hold of bloodlines too long stagnant.

B. Marriage ceremony

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

D. Tech is always the answer. Let them be bound to the Machine God!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Slaan posted:

Eh, as any good Tech-adept who has learned the basics of the Biologos, it is good to bring in new breeding stock occasionally. Elsewise, Chaos can take hold of bloodlines too long stagnant.

B. Marriage ceremony

gently caress purge the uncooperative, loins first. B

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
B&C Races and weddings! Marry the survivors to the opposite house.

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
B

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Choose the awesomest people, then have a race and a fight to see who gets to marry these rad kids.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Slaan posted:

B. Marriage ceremony

Works for me.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Wentley posted:

Choose the awesomest people, then have a race and a fight to see who gets to marry these rad kids.

You know what. This is a Good Plan.

Changing my vote from B to B+C. Marriage death races :megadeth:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Race first and the winner gets a wife

Loser gets an eternal reward

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

C raaaaccceee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

E

We arrange a wedding, but include races and combat as part of the celebrations leading up to and after the weddings. Don't just kidnap the kids, make everyone turn it into a huge party.