Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

CourValant posted:

You mean the siren call of non-stop drugs, woman, more drugs, and up-selling naive customers with the 'Under Coat' isn't doing it for ya? :ocelot: :)

IIRC, you had a rather long commute too, yes?

Look, if you want to make a change, and can afford to do so, make a change; life's too short to put up with soul sucking job.

What he said. Aside from writing, find something you might actually like to do, or at least settle for something that pays enough and isn't soul sucking, because becoming God King Of Humanity isn't always an attainable goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Could always train to be a Scotch Somallier.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Blasphemaster posted:

Could always train to be a Scotch Somallier.

See if you can get a publisher to pay you drink at every distillery in Scotland, write a spiritual sequel to Raw Spirit.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

SpookyLizard posted:

See if you can get a publisher to pay you drink at every distillery in Scotland, write a spiritual sequel to Raw Spirit.

Sending applications in RIGHT NOW

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Sending applications in RIGHT NOW

Naw, opportunities have to be SEIZED!!!

Just show up at said distilleries and demand they give you a full week of wining and dining so that you can review their pedestrian product; act like its such a huge imposition on your time.

By the way, I want the Height Advantage people, let's more folks see Fab's Fabulous Wings.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I thought this was pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1CQ7Vwz8Eo

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

First interview at new place passed, initial application to grad school accepted

Let’s have a Kiki

“I’ll take the high ground.”
Blackfinger looked at Fabiyan’s wings appraisingly. “I bet. Fortunately, xenotek is good at the tighter curves… What on earth is that.”
You turned, looked. “That, of course, is my ride.”
Your homunculus was laboriously wheeling into the room, its gaping maw a discordant, if muted, scream of static. Three independent sets of wheels undulated along the uneven floor, and the sidecar was moving in such a way to give any occupant seasickness.

Blackfinger shook his head disbelievingly. “All the knowledge of Humanity, and that’s what you went with?”
“Shh. I built it when I was young, and it’s held up ever since.”
“It’s an obstacle, not a racer. It’s the comedy round you crash into before the real match. It,” He said with a tone of finality. “Is a disaster.”
“Won four consecutive tournaments on my homeworld.”
He shook his head. “It might be good enough for the juvenile division on a human world, but it’s going to fall apart the first moment it’s against xenotek. We can call off the race, let you build a better one. Or I can loan you one of my raiders. That is going to get you killed.”

You snorted. “I’ve survived atomics. And I’ve raced with it on a course with live ship missiles.”
“You won’t get any argument from me there. I’ve no doubt it’s good at exploding.”
You chuckled. “You seem to love talking a good game, but you really have no idea what this can do.”
He grinned. “Aye, maybe a bit. Important to get the blood up before the race.”
Elenora was already distastefully seating herself in his sidepod, looking as if she was forced into a midden. Blackfinger waved to her. “Lovely, is it not?”
“Let’s get on with it. My Lord Fabiyan, time to follow these fools into their folly.”
Fabiyan spread his skeletal wings, took a breath that you had to watch. “Let’s.”

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

First interview at new place passed, initial application to grad school accepted

Well? Details please, what's the new place? What grad school and degree are you going for?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CourValant posted:

Well? Details please, what's the new place? What grad school and degree are you going for?

https://csuglobal.edu/graduate/masters-degrees/finance with
https://csuglobal.edu/graduate/specializations/business-intelligence :D

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Hell yeah let's RACE these motherfuckers!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

And the potential new gig?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CourValant posted:

And the potential new gig?

https://go.enterpriseholdings.com/opportunities/management-training-program/

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

So, pining to become a member of the Bourgeoisie then! :)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CourValant posted:

So, pining to become a member of the Bourgeoisie then! :)

Well, I like money :v:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Well, I like money :v:

We must seize the means of Car Rental Productions!!! :)

Also, please have Fabs ride in the sidecar like they do in the Isle Of Man Sidecar TT!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Grats!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Slice of Life:
Helena 'Shuttle Mom', at the Wedding.

Helena drifted through the many rooms and halls as a ghost would, something immaterial, unseen, yet, noticed at a subconscious level.

The party, it would seem, was coming to its full bacchanal crescendo; some type of race, it appears? Between the hosts, or, some other Masters of the Universe? Whatever it was, she wasn’t interested.

What was she even doing here? She didn’t recall going to a party; she was in a docking bay, her shuttle was being inspected, the ice in the hold being offloaded. Then, a haze, and, she found herself confronted with this obscenity.

She was dressed in her drab flight suit, an insect, insignificant, amongst dragons and gods. Maybe that was why no one seemed to see her.

All around her, worlds worth of wealth and resources were on display, as a toddler might show off, and at the same time horde, his toy collection. Riches beyond meaning being traded, gambled with, consumed, squandered, judged with a hawkish, waspish, eye.

Helena took it all in, without as much as a feigned interest. Perhaps it was too much to take in, all at once, for someone uninitiated in such things? Was that why she couldn’t react? Or, had the unabashed vices and depravity shocked her into silence.

Mountains of undulating flesh, the sounds and smells of physical pleasure. Glassy eyed stares through haze and smoke. Empty injectors, next to unmoving bodies.

If she could react, she might run from these halls, and retch until her body was spent.

“Come now my dear, is it really that bad?”

A voice, behind her, off to the left. She recognized it immediately as the ‘shadow figure’. Helena mused, “Why am I here?”

“Curiosity. Mine and yours. Weren’t you ever curious, as to how the wealthy lived? Didn’t you ever wonder what you were hauling?”

“No”

“No? Didn’t you want better, for your children? Well, this, is Better. Unlimited pleasure and enjoyment. No worries or concerns.”

The figure slide into her vision. As before, it was impossible to focus at it.

Helena didn’t respond, and kept walking. The figure went with her, keeping a few paces ahead.

“Can you imagine, your children, growing up in this environment? Your husband, sampling what’s on offer?”

“They’re Dead!”, she spat out.

“Are they now?”

Then she saw them. Her husband, her children. Sitting on a nearby low bench, close enough to reach out and touch. They smiled at her. Waved. They looked much like they did the last time she saw them, except, her little boy had hair in his eyes. He needed a haircut?

Helena stopped walking. Stared back. Unbelieving, not reacting. A moments stirring, something inside her? A strange feeling. Feeling?

She reached out slowly, trying to take their hands in hers.

A small, sharp pain; coldness, in her veins. Familiar, like last time.

“We’ll get there, in time. For now, why don’t you enjoy yourself? You might feel better, if you did. Why don’t you try?”, offered in a tone of mirthless humor.

The haziness returned. Head, beginning to sag, eyes, getting heavy. Yet her vision came into sharper focus, between heavy lidded blinks.

Her family was gone. In their place, on the low bench, other people. Men and women, in various states of dress and undress. Beautiful, inviting, smiling. They reached out to her stretched hands, pulling her down towards them.

The coldness spread inside her, until she felt hollow inside.

“My family?”

“We can be” came the response.

Helena couldn’t make out who said it though, as unconsciousness claimed her once again.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Spacemom's Requiem For a Dream.

Poor thing's just a husk in a flight suit at this point. It's interesting and cool to see something on the micro scale, something intimate, painful, human, in contrast to the macro scale manouevrings and shenanigans of the elites.

As always, nicely written.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Hexenritter posted:

Poor thing's just a husk in a flight suit at this point. It's interesting and cool to see something on the micro scale, something intimate, painful, human, in contrast to the macro scale manouevrings and shenanigans of the elites.

Agreed. My heart, it is broken.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

In a secluded corner, Belecim awaits with a fine selection of matching cybernetic body parts in case someone gets so much as a paper cut during the race.

*notices a broken cyber-pinkynail, gasps, pulls off both pinkynails with medical pliers, sighs in relief, eventually replaces them with lasers or something*

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

mepstein73 posted:

Agreed. My heart, it is broken.

Thanks for the feedback! Its genuinely heartwarming to know that what I dragged out of my brain has managed to touch someone. :)

I don't think it comes as a surprise that I actually write 'Shuttle Mom' as a form of therapy, she's useful for working out some stuff I have rattling in my head.

Still, makes me feel like an abusive spouse; the things I put her through, thinking about putting her through, will put her through.

I actually X-Card'ed myself while writing the end of this last scene. There are much, much darker places I could have taken her, and, didn't want to turn it into something for which I could be banned.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CourValant posted:

Thanks for the feedback! Its genuinely heartwarming to know that what I dragged out of my brain has managed to touch someone. :)

I don't think it comes as a surprise that I actually write 'Shuttle Mom' as a form of therapy, she's useful for working out some stuff I have rattling in my head.

Same :v:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hah! :respek:

I feel like I should pay you for letting me use the 'therapist couch' which is your thread and setting. :)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CourValant posted:

Hah! :respek:

I feel like I should pay you for letting me use the 'therapist couch' which is your thread and setting. :)

I accept coffee and pizza :v:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

My eyes could not help but read "the rapist couch", which is also why the country largest therapy provider search site had to add a hyphen

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

I accept coffee and pizza :v:

Funny you should say that, because this guy \/\/\/ literally got pizza sent to him tonight from another thread.

Can I send you a pizza? Because I'll actually do it.

Hexenritter posted:

My eyes could not help but read "the rapist couch", which is also why the country largest therapy provider search site had to add a hyphen

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

Funny you should say that, because this guy \/\/\/ literally got pizza sent to him tonight from another thread.

Can I send you a pizza? Because I'll actually do it.

I did too, and I will love Yooper for it forever.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

When I start my Bannerlord LP I shall remember to let it be known that I prefer Bacon, crumbled spicy sausage and extra cheese via in-game reference because that's how I roll.

:colbert:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Blasphemaster posted:

When I start my Bannerlord LP I shall remember to let it be known that I prefer Bacon, crumbled spicy sausage and extra cheese via in-game reference because that's how I roll.

Sure.

Bacon at 100 pages.
Crumbled spicy sausage at 200.
Extra cheese at 300.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CourValant posted:

Sure.

Bacon at 100 pages.
Crumbled spicy sausage at 200.
Extra cheese at 300.

Sounds like you want to send me 7 pizzas :colbert:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Sounds like you want to send me 7 pizzas :colbert:

Would you like 7 pizzas? Because I'll send you 7 pizzas. :heysexy:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CourValant posted:

Would you like 7 pizzas? Because I'll send you 7 pizzas. :heysexy:

Everywhere is closed :v: Wednesday maybe, its my day off

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Everywhere is closed :v: Wednesday maybe, its my day off

You got it, I'm on a normal schedule this week, just let me know when. I don't have PM, so, best we coordinate via email? Unless you have a better method?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sure, why not. mystery address readers dont doxx me :cheeky:

Loel fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 26, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Sure, why not.

Just emailed you; if you got, take your address down. :)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Will write for booze

You grinned at Blackfinger. “Hope you like losing.”
He roared laughter. “Never happen. Limosa, if you would.”
The Interrogator held up his fist. “When I drop my hand … three … two …”
Both the engines of Blackfinger and your homunculi screamed, leapt forward. Limosa sighed, lowered his fist even as you were dozens of meters past him.

Blackfinger’s machine was faster, more agile. You could tell it already, watching how it hugged the angles of the track. Probably drawing on that xeno-heresy. Still, Fabiyan was pulling his weight, letting you do acrobatic moves you never would have dreamed of prior. A momentary lifting of your multi-ton vehicle, a flip, a 720 degree turn.

The crowd was cheering, as it always was - you could feel the wind of 200 km/h tearing across your face, drawing joyous laughter from your throat. Fabiyan was reading your mind, and you were relying on his wings for tricks that would kill both of you if he failed. He never missed a beat, and you were actually almost ahead of Blackfinger after the first lap.

And then …

The track extended, curled on itself. Twisted in confusing patterns, wrapping in sequences you recognized as hyperspatial equations. Blackfinger was jittering from one place to another, and the crowd seemed to be stretched and scattered. Whatever was happening, was affecting your vehicle alone. Fabiyan’s eyes had narrowed, his wings flaring aggressively.

Blackfinger was laughing, coming in and out of focus, and you growled. Someone was cheating.
<I thought you needed the challenge.> Loki’s voice teased across your awareness.
<... Really?>
<Yup.>

An aural assault tore across your brain, holes stretching across the race track, chasms forming into a nothingness your mind couldn’t accept. The track was suddenly vibrant, a contrast of great colors and their inverse, the great absence.

<Loki. What the hell is that.>
<A challenge. One that can actually kill you.> Her voice oozed confident amusement. <Don’t die, I’ve put a lot of effort into building someone like you.>

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Ah crap. At least this race drew out an assassination attempt then.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

vorebane posted:

Ah crap. At least this race drew out an assassination attempt then.

This isn't an assassination attempt, this is a normal Monday!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

<Loki. What the hell is that.>
<A challenge. One that can actually kill you.> Her voice oozed confident amusement. <Don’t die, I’ve put a lot of effort into building someone like you.>

Seriously, the hell Loki? You're not making sense? Why would you put her in a situation where she can die, then tell her not to die because she represents a significant investment?!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

How does stress testing work in your country