Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The gun fired itself :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
If we're taking the rifle, check it over remotely VERY loving CAREFULLY.

Wanna know a good way to gently caress someone over in the worst way? Leave them something you KNOW they'll fall over themselves for...and leave a nasty surprise inside it. Explosives, tracers, bugs, remotely-activated thingamagums that infect your electronics with a virus via wi-fi, whatever. The Trojan Horse is almost literally the oldest trick in the book.

After all, what kind of fool could afford to buy an incredibly excellent weapon, and yet be stupid enough to hire an assassin too dumb to take the masterpiece with him...or to maintain it properly?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tomn posted:

Wanna know a good way to gently caress someone over in the worst way? Leave them something you KNOW they'll fall over themselves for...and leave a nasty surprise inside it. Explosives, tracers, bugs, remotely-activated thingamagums that infect your electronics with a virus via wi-fi, whatever.

After all, what kind of fool could afford to buy an incredibly excellent weapon, and yet be stupid enough to hire an assassin too dumb to take the masterpiece with him...or to maintain it properly?
Good catch.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Tomn posted:

Wanna know a good way to gently caress someone over in the worst way? Leave them something you KNOW they'll fall over themselves for...and leave a nasty surprise inside it. Explosives, tracers, bugs, remotely-activated thingamagums that infect your electronics with a virus via wi-fi, whatever. The Trojan Horse is almost literally the oldest trick in the book.

That sounds like a pretty good idea.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Slice of Life IX

Sometimes, systems fail.

Sometimes, under the wear and creak of years, a bolt bends, a frame twists.

Sometimes, a viewing window is released into the void.

Sometimes, pipes burst, and water sprays, touching everything in crystal.

Sometimes, a young couple is watching the stars.

Sometimes, you can still see them.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Tomn posted:

I see this guy deserves his reputation. Do as they say.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
Jesus I know it's just echoing what others have said but you're really loving good at writing 40k. seriously a lot of their contracted authors don't capture the feel nearly as well as you do.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
E. Take the rifle but inspect it very carefully and keep it sealed away. After grabbing the rifle scan everyone and the rifle for trace evidence. If someone shot it they will be covered in residue. There may be prints on the gun. Also record each of the gathered Soilders and investigate them fully. It may be useful to turn of the rifle to Pax and point that mad dog on someone else's tail. Give it to Limosa as a prize won on the battle field. It sends a nice message saying we are onto him.

Also jumping on the oh-god-more fluff bandwagon. Everything you have wrote in this thread is delicious and I need more and am prepared to throw money at it as soon as possible.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The only 40k books i have read is the Inquisition War trilogy, this thread is far far superior to that.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
This is really drat good fluff. I'm glad we got a little patch of potential Orkz growing on the Beast - an internal infestation would be very fun to flush out. Plus squigs make decent eating.

Inspect, keep the rifle. This is expensive enough to have been the work of an actual Imperial Assassin. If we have one of those after us, we're in serious trouble.

At least it wasn't a Eversor.

Anyway, we should offer Mad Dog Pax a job at the first opportunity. She's crazy enough to investigate anyone, let's point her at other people.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Why are people saying we should try to hire the clerk? Our background check on her has shown her to madly, be incorruptible and willing to investigate anyone. So, we are going to try and offer the duty-obsessed incorruptible clerk a job? How is that going to work?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I agree, why would a person like that accept a job that is clearly designed to get her to stop investigating us? And we wouldn't really want her hanging around on the ship with all the shady things we are doing.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

nothing to seehere posted:

Why are people saying we should try to hire the clerk? Our background check on her has shown her to madly, be incorruptible and willing to investigate anyone. So, we are going to try and offer the duty-obsessed incorruptible clerk a job? How is that going to work?

We will have to deal with her soon, but not today. We can have her back off by digging Devries out from whatever hole he's hidden himself in.

D. but let someone else carry it until we can disarm whatever is on the rifle

- What systems does this building have? Anything nearby that would show people entering or exiting the building at entrances?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

nothing to seehere posted:

Yeah, given that she was willing to try and arrest a cardinal right in the middle of a cathedral in front of his flock, I don't think she'll play well with the "Work with me and I shall lead you to Devires in exchange for my own safety" tactic. More likely she'll play along just long enough to get us both in one go.

Sure, she's hyper-competent and relentless. But she's principled. And the thing about principled people is that you can never quite predict where their principles will decide to take them. Terrible people to have working for you if you happen not to be overblessed with principles yourself, as we clearly aren't.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Nah, she's a shoe-in for the Ordos Hereticus. Those are the fellows that investigate corruption and wrongdoing within the Imperium. If we kidnap her, flash our Inquisitorial credentials, and say we are deep cover agents and she's going to blow our cover, sent by the inquisition to investigate Limosa, she'll probably buy it. By all accounts subtlety is not her strong suit, so if it doesn't work we can always servitorize her.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, pretty much the only way the inspector is going to work for us is if we actively recruit her as a throne agent.

We're on decent terms with our inquisitor. I don't think he'd begrudge us asking for a more comprehensive background check on the woman, and his advice about possibly turning her into an asset.

Come to think of it, do we know which Ordos we work for?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

VanSandman posted:

This is expensive enough to have been the work of an actual Imperial Assassin. If we have one of those after us, we're in serious trouble.

Vindicaires don't miss. Like, ever. So it was just a normal assassin.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

LowellDND posted:

Slice of Life IX

Sometimes, systems fail.

Sometimes, under the wear and creak of years, a bolt bends, a frame twists.

Sometimes, a viewing window is released into the void.

Sometimes, pipes burst, and water sprays, touching everything in crystal.

Sometimes, a young couple is watching the stars.

Sometimes, you can still see them.

:gonk:

D. Check it out with our skulls first, and then deliver the weapon to us. The Nallani are either incredibly incompetent or don't know anything. Let's not waste time with them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

wiegieman posted:

Vindicaires don't miss. Like, ever. So it was just a normal assassin.

At the very least, not when they've had plenty of time to line up a shot.

Tomn posted:

Sure, she's hyper-competent and relentless. But she's principled. And the thing about principled people is that you can never quite predict where their principles will decide to take them. Terrible people to have working for you if you happen not to be overblessed with principles yourself, as we clearly aren't.

Or, we can find what her principles are rooted in, and exploit them at the source. Revenge? Religion? Boredom? Xenophobia? Voices? Once we know, we'll have a major advantage over her.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Haystack posted:

Yeah, pretty much the only way the inspector is going to work for us is if we actively recruit her as a throne agent.

We're on decent terms with our inquisitor. I don't think he'd begrudge us asking for a more comprehensive background check on the woman, and his advice about possibly turning her into an asset.

Come to think of it, do we know which Ordos we work for?

Almost certainly Xenos, since the guy seems to have a thing about the eldar. Malleus would probably be at least indifferent to them as an enemy, if not actually willing to work with them against a common enemy, and Hereticus seems unlikely to obsess over specific breeds of xenos.

VanSandman posted:

Inspect, keep the rifle. This is expensive enough to have been the work of an actual Imperial Assassin. If we have one of those after us, we're in serious trouble.

As others said, a vindicare wouldn't have missed, and what we found was not an exitus rifle (judging by the bullet not self-destructing). Plus, if the assassin had the backing of an assassin temple, the machine spirit in the bullet wouldn't have been mistreated.

Waci fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 6, 2015

Alberto Gonzalez
Apr 28, 2008

Waci posted:

Almost certainly Xenos, since the guy seems to have a thing about the eldar. Malleus would probably be at least indifferent to them as an enemy, if not actually willing to work with them against a common enemy, and Hereticus seems unlikely to obsess over specific breeds of xenos.

As others said, a vindicare wouldn't have missed, and what we found was not an exitus rifle (judging by the bullet not self-destructing). Plus, if the assassin had the backing of an assassin temple, the machine spirit in the bullet wouldn't have been mistreated.
Quite possibly an attack by one of Devries cronies, he seems to have a knack for acquiring rare items and allies.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I wonder if we'd be dead now if we hadn't saved that fate point :ohdear:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Honestly, I'd peg this hit on Limosa. He's been pretty hands off so far, but our deal with the Kreig just completely blew up his attempts to undermine us with the Family so he might be getting worried.

We should seriously consider putting the rifle in a conspicuous safe place, "stealing" it from ourselves, and then putting that pretty little smartbullet into Limosa's brainpan. Even if he wasn't guilty, it'd be a good opportunity since no one would be able to say that it wasn't some assassin hired to hurt the Family.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
E: Scrub the rifle for traps or anti-tamper measures, present it to Lord-Sire as a gift as though nothing happened.

The rifle itself is as much part of the message as the assassination attempt. It was left behind intentionally. This reeks of someone powerful making a point. My first inclination is Limosa, but it could just as easily be Lord-Sire trying to drill the lesson of working through proxies into Ohone's head. Remember that this is the type of family that considers a game of intrigue where the winner is the lone survivor as good leadership training.

Oasx posted:

I agree, why would a person like that accept a job that is clearly designed to get her to stop investigating us? And we wouldn't really want her hanging around on the ship with all the shady things we are doing.

When you recruit someone into the inquisition, they don't get a choice in the matter.

Edit: To elaborate a bit, she's basically ideal for an Ordo Hereticus agent. We're not even asking her to change the way she operates, we just want her to report her findings to us or Kozilek instead of wasting it on politically minded superiors that will just bury it. She's Arbites trained, doggedly stubborn, absolutely incorruptible, and has a keen investigative mind. I mean, the meetings on the shuttle may as well have been a job interview she passed with flying colors. As far as investigating Ohone, bringing her into the service gives us the opportunity to straight out tell her that DeVries shows strong signs of heresy and we're trying to capture and horribly execute him as it is.

Tran fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 7, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:3: Thank you everyone. Like all writers, I subsist on a diet of coffee and post reviews. So this has been a good day :D

Lemme see where our voting is...

edit:

A
B x x
C
D x x x x
E x x

Tenatively it looks like

Get weapon, but scan the hell out of it first
Do a cursory check of the crowd
Scan the rifle for prints and soldiers for residue

Maybe give the rifle to Limosa/Lord-Sire/Tanya

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 7, 2015

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Arrest them all for processing.

Aren't we currently in Krieg area? If their story was true though, the soldiers wouldn't be bringing their families to investigate a rifle shot and they wouldn't have been celebrating before. Something doesn't add up.

I wonder if the weapon is from the Beast or even from the personal collection of Limosa or the Rogue Trader himself. Let's just keep it for now and find out more about it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kegslayer posted:

Arrest them all for processing.

Aren't we currently in Krieg area? If their story was true though, the soldiers wouldn't be bringing their families to investigate a rifle shot and they wouldn't have been celebrating before. Something doesn't add up.

I wonder if the weapon is from the Beast or even from the personal collection of Limosa or the Rogue Trader himself. Let's just keep it for now and find out more about it.

You are about a kilometer into the Nallani area, yup. The Krieg are still working on the railway because someone getting shot doesn't stop work.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Yeah, hold on, why are their families there? I don't have any incriminating theories, but if they came to investigate the shot, that's weird as hell.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ralith posted:

Yeah, hold on, why are their families there? I don't have any incriminating theories, but if they came to investigate the shot, that's weird as hell.

This is the recreational area of the camp, so there a lot of camp followers doing what camp followers do.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

LowellDND posted:

This is the recreational area of the camp, so there a lot of camp followers doing what camp followers do.
Running towards gunfire?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ralith posted:

Running towards gunfire?

Watching soldiers fight. Lets be real, guns and drinking occasionally results in gunfire :D

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
These Nallani were corrupted by the memetic virus. Its the only thing that makes sense to me.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Do you have a flag?

Your mind reached out, ordering the servoskulls back into the sky. They spoke with your voice, echoing between the buildings, and the crowd reformed itself under the commands of a Tech-Priest. It was a big crowd, and you knew you couldn’t cover them all, even with half a dozen skulls - but perhaps you might get lucky, or perhaps the assassin might slip up.

Soldiers first. You ordered some of your SubSixers to cordon off the area, as well as collect a handful of local chemicals and reagents. It wouldn’t be perfect, making a homebrew testing kit without the proper rituals, but the concoction should chemically interact with the nitrate on a shooter’s hand. Similarily, you used sheafs of plastic to ever-so-carefully copy any fingerprints from the weapon.

Not you personally, of course. You had one of the children do it. Much safer.

They didn’t explode into giblets or melt into a necrotoxic mess, which suggested the assassin hadn’t left traps for you. Still, it might have been primed for your DNA, or to strike someone who put their eyes on the scope (maybe that’s why they missed?) or a dozen other scenarios that hadn’t occurred to you. Briefly, you remembered what Sincera had said - ”You were wasted outside the Arbites". Omnissiah, she was going to end up dead or working for you for sure.

The chemical concoction had a decent chance of false positives and missed negatives, but it did give you a dozen or so soldiers who had fired weapons today. They were all very eager to explain they had been shooting today, but not at you, and you briefly considered processing them just to make them stop talking. Still, it shortened your suspect list nicely.

You told the local commissar you wanted them held for questioning in an investigation, but they weren’t suspects (yet). The dozen or so soldiers meekly went into a holding area while you ordered more thorough tests brought to you. Fingerprint kits, for example. The way the crowd had been reaching for the rifle, it would be a mess of partials and overlaps, but if someone had gun residue and had their prints on the rifle, they were going to be moved to the top of your list.

Meanwhile, Lt Skade gave you another call.

“Hey boss.”
“Yes?” You could never get over her informality, but she was an aristo first and officer second. Her competence gave her hedge room for ignoring some customs.
“That rifle,” she whistled. “Woah. Its a legend. It’s called the Gargant Killer.”
“Gargant - those Ork Titans?”
“Yeah. See, this rifle was used by some gentleman adventurer back in the day. Like, a millenia ago. He had had enough of hunting wildlife, alpha predators and whatever, so he decided to go hunting Ork. Normal enough for nobility,” she continued without a hint of self-awareness “but the crazy thing was, he was good at it. He actually went onto an Ork planet, and just starting shooting the things.”
“Bet they didn’t like that.”
“Nah boss, they loved it. They thought it was hilarious. Made him an honorary Ork, “the ooman dakka.” They spent a decade trying to kill each other, and his most famous kill, his biggest one, was a Gargant. The stories differ on whether he killed the Warboss, all the crew, or literally the Gargant. The ammo this thing fires has its own legends.”
“What happend to him?”
“Oh, after that? He retired. Said nothing would ever top that.”
You frowned. “That’s a good story, but how does that help me? Where did the rifle go after that?”
You could hear her breathe. “Boss, that adventurer? He founded a Rogue Trader dynasty.”
“... which one?”
She licked her lips. “Boss, its the Filthy Lucre. Someone from that haunted ship is trying to kill you.”

What do you do?

A. No harm in continuing the tests. You have a dozen suspects, go from there.
B. Investigate the Lucre further. Why would someone on that ship want to kill you?
C. This seems like a red herring. The staggering cost involved suggested Limosa or Devries.
D. Call up Sincera. Maybe you can trade this information for something.
E. Something else.

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 7, 2015

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

D

Redirect her onto something else while delegating an important task to someone seemingly competent, if we can get her to investigate this. Two birds with one stone.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

C. loving Devries

Esper
Nov 23, 2004
Killed a baboon, once.
C
I think this is Limosa's doing. He's implicating us in the removal of the Filthy Lucre. It's about time he made his move against us. Knowing that we would move to make the Lord Sire a profit off of the fall of the space elevator, we fell right into his trap... he even taunted us shortly before it happened, suggesting that we "had to do something" for the sake of our reputation.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
D: "Even if you think I'd fake an attempt on my own life, even you must realize I wouldn't be this gauche about it." We simply don't have time to deal with this. It's just an assassination attempt, for nobility at Ohone's level it's like a friendly greeting.

Esper posted:

C
I think this is Limosa's doing. He's implicating us in the removal of the Filthy Lucre. It's about time he made his move against us. Knowing that we would move to make the Lord Sire a profit off of the fall of the space elevator, we fell right into his trap... he even taunted us shortly before it happened, suggesting that we "had to do something" for the sake of our reputation.

Except to most of the people that matter, arranging something on that level would in fact be considered a significant mark in our favor.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

HiHo ChiRho posted:

C. loving Devries

This reeks of redherring. I don't think the guardsmen shot this thing. Keep it as a prize but record how it was found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tran posted:

D: "Even if you think I'd fake an attempt on my own life, even you must realize I wouldn't be this gauche about it." We simply don't have time to deal with this. It's just an assassination attempt, for nobility at Ohone's level it's like a friendly greeting.

edit: Oops, I vote this