Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

also, it's considered funnier to overthrow your opponent in a grand, over the top display. the 40k universe works off style points as much as anything really.

That is the fun reason, the boring reason is he has allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Lowell, you might want to read the Expanse series, by James Corey, and the Imperial Radch series, by Ann Leckie. The Radch series (starting with Ancillary Justice) has some cool ideas about how to integrate machines, machine spirits, and distributed intelligences with military societies. The Expanse series is neat because it has some politicking, some mystery solving, and some biological disaster stuff.

And A. Let's chat with Pax.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

LowellDND posted:

edit: zomgzomgzomg there is a Krieg DLC for Dawn of War 2. I may need to buy it...

What!?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Arcturas posted:

Lowell, you might want to read the Expanse series, by James Corey, and the Imperial Radch series, by Ann Leckie. The Radch series (starting with Ancillary Justice) has some cool ideas about how to integrate machines, machine spirits, and distributed intelligences with military societies. The Expanse series is neat because it has some politicking, some mystery solving, and some biological disaster stuff.

Oh hey, Ive heard good things about Ancillary Justice. Might need to check it out.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/56489/

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'd recommend reading "Roadside Picnic" for a taste of what truly alien artifacts might do.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Its just a skin mod. They don't change anything else about the game. Just what your IG dudes look like as they GET KRUMP'D UNDA MA SPOIKY BOSS POLE :orks101:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

LowellDND posted:

Oh hey, Ive heard good things about Ancillary Justice. Might need to check it out.

Yeah, it's easily my favorite book from the last year or two. The sequel's pretty good but not quite on the same level. I'd definitely pick it up before the Expanse books. While they're good they're a little quirky at times.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Same poo poo, different day.

Quint finished putting on the "Penitent Cowl" mk. XXVII Atomic-Bacillus-Chem-Warfare protection suit, his cybernetic arm catching an angle of the suit before he, gingerly, sealed it up. With the amount of nerve gas his artillery tanks were dropping on the front line, a stray shell could easily end him and his entire HQ.

Now sweating and uncomfortable, he nevertheless had to react quickly: An entire supply ship had given their system the heave-ho, dropping a space elevator on top of their army corps, killing tens of thousands of Death Korp. They probably enjoyed that, masochistic fraggers - but nevertheless, it was a good idea to commit to an assault.

"Get me air command" he gasped. The voxx crackled alive. "Command?"
"This is General Zetkin, authorizing immediate atomic strikes on pre-plotted targets 9, 23 and 27."
"Authorization code?"
"Pious-Imperator-Dimmamar-Death, sending bio-lock as we speak".

He pulled a vial of his own blood out of the suit, and gave it to an attending adept, who slotted it into a complex encryption servitor, sending the requisite final part of the authorization for the strike at the blinding speed alpha-level psychofibre cables could manage at peak efficiency.

Skies above

The pilot of the Voss-pattern "Lightning Strike" fighter double checked the encryption runes hesitatingly, when the vox comm lit up. The voice at the other end only said one thing:

"Imagine".

The word, rarely if ever used in daily imperial parlance, activated the mnemonic hypno-indoctrination deep within the pilots brain, and he mindlessly activated the firing sequence for the 10-megaton atomic missile he did not even know his fighter-bomber carried. Elsewhere, two other navy pilots did the same.

Back at Nallani HQ

Even before the after-images of the mind-numbingly powerful blasts had faded, Quint was mapping out vectors of attack, trying to get troops ahead fast enough to capitalize on the disruption caused by the atomics. "Send 5 divisions through that gap." he ordered, jabbing a part of the map.

A staff colonel turned, aghast. "The atomic beam exposure will be too high!"

"No" Quint said, after calling up a spreadsheet. "They will reach 100% casualties within 96 hours. Have Divisio cook up new targets for atomic strikes once the front settles."

"Sir" the man acquisced, and drew up the relevant orders, sending wave after wave of men into the breach.

Tias fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 9, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wow, Xenos must really have Quint in a bind if he's breaking out the NCBs.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just remember that for the imperium Atomics are considered 'low yield' weapons.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Atomics are still pretty Serious Stuff(tm), but when you have enough divisions of Krieg who just love fighting the most horrible poo poo you can find to throw at them, and consider a nuked hellscape "kind of like home", well, you get Quints response.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Last couple of updates are seriously... Something. You really captured the fracturing mind some someone who thinks they're a logical machine but crumbles like anyone else.

A. Teatime.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Krieg suits have 100% rad protection, they can go through a hot nuked hellscape without issue. And probably take a picnic.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Can we get therapy from the hat man? :v:

and A

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Krieg suits have 100% rad protection, they can go through a hot nuked hellscape without issue. And probably take a picnic.

A lot of other troops than Krieg out there ;) Good thing their survival is not A Priority.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Well drat, the Krieg skin pack for DoW2 is $7, not worth it for a reskin.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
A

She is not what she appears. I think we need her help here. How to move ourselves from suspect number one to ally is beyond me given her massively OCD disposition.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
A

Let's deal with Pax since she's been hanging around for too long. I still don't think she's Inquisitor recruitment material since none of her wide claims have any element of truth to them but we can still use her in our retinue. I mean, either there's a massive conspiracy across a wide range of high ranking individuals in various different Imperial institutions that are out to get her or she's just incompetent and driven to tunnel vision.

Maybe we can ask her if she wants to search the Beast for Devries or Chaos/Xenos cults on board the ship, thereby freeing up Mathias and our team to do something more productive. It wouldn't be too hard to have her transfered as an Administratum scribe liaison and then give her access to the ship. We can also assign our upgraded Megabyte to her, fix her up with prosthetics, shotgun, shield and power maul and aim her straight at Devries.

If she becomes a problem in the course of her investigation, we can just manually take over Megabyte and kill her before she can react.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Or, you know, she has an "accident" in between.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
E. Go somewhere very, very private and cry for a while. Commissar's orders.

Then talk to Pax I guess.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It's weird that this is a universe where there are psychic supermen who plot courses for interstellar starships based on reckoning by the psychic beacon sent up by the zombie God-emperor and yet the least realistic thing, to my mind, is that the Imperial military has functional strict controls over their nuclear arms.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
E: Hug Fluuors until we feel better.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Chantilly Say posted:

It's weird that this is a universe where there are psychic supermen who plot courses for interstellar starships based on reckoning by the psychic beacon sent up by the zombie God-emperor and yet the least realistic thing, to my mind, is that the Imperial military has functional strict controls over their nuclear arms.

Men are cheap. Ruining Hives, equipment and priceless manufacturing factories is not.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Also, the Imperial Guard general is probably the one with the strictest RoE. Inqusitors and Terran Lords can nuke poo poo willy-nilly, likely using a code written down on the back of their power fist.

Tias fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 9, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
E, mourn, then A

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Tomn posted:

This. Then A. And yeah, I'm also getting the Umbridge vibe off her, though she's a bit nuttier, as opposed to sadistic.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Tomn posted:

Finally, something sensible from Tomn.

This!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Outrail posted:

Last couple of updates are seriously... Something. You really captured the fracturing mind some someone who thinks they're a logical machine but crumbles like anyone else.

Thank you! :D I was a little unsure of the bar scene, getting all experimental and talking about 'What is it to be human', but I think I got a good response. I think Ill make it a regular theme.

Also many thanks to Tias, for a particularly epic war scene :D

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Voting A

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
When we meet Pax, explain the poo poo we've gone through recently and how little killing her will phase us while also emphasizing we consider such a course of action to be an immense waste of her arrogance and doggedness. We need to either end her as a threat now or send her off to become a much bigger threat in a couple of plot arcs.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Man I am literally sad that we killed the nice noble kid thanks LowellDND!!!!! :arghfist::(

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Xun posted:

Man I am literally sad that we killed the nice noble kid thanks LowellDND!!!!! :arghfist::(

Dude, little girl suicide bomb. Nobles in 40k ain't even close to nice.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Tomn posted:

Limosa is STILL bugging me. Apparently he KNEW all about the Filthy Lucre and straight-up did nothing to stop it...while knowing we'd be in the best position to profit from it. Either he's actively malicious and is working against the Imperium somehow...or he's playing some long con here and setting up the new supply lines is somehow going to pay off for him.

LowellDND posted:

“Cousin.” A breathy voice, familiar.
“Limosa.”
“Well done, I do say.”
“... oh?”
“On the transit line!” His voice was laughter. “What else could I mean?”

I thought it best to put these two side by side, since that subtle barb means anything but face value.

When it comes to psyker primaris vs astropath, I'm not sure who wins in a stand-up brawl, but Mother has probably centuries of experience subverting minds.

The downside to connecting people to groupminds: that consciousness gets access to a fresh brain to pick for experiences. Like, oh, who connected them with the memetic virus they're not supposed to have.

Consider this: Limosa is a non-obvious puppet of Mother at this point, perhaps a replacement body entirely. Isn't it interesting that HE, of all people, gets awareness and access to that knowledge so fast and so quickly? There were three people in the room with the Home movies: Us, the boy, and the groupmind.

We need to have a sit-down chat with him and the psyder. Try to clear out any potential warp-influence, and talk to Limosa, not a joyrider.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Could we request a krieg to show the memetic virus to? We're probalby too broken to actually do that right now, but it would interesting to see what impact it would have on someone who's had all emotion stripped out of them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Can you imagine the amount of insanity points we'd get for seeing a Krieger say "I love you"?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Yeah, let's not mess with that anymore.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Yeah if a krieger starts saying 'I love you' we'll probably pick up a couple of derangements just from that.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
I mean the hope would be that they're actually resistant and that we could pick up a squad that we know won't be affected when it comes time to take down whatever it is that's causing it. On the other hand, being driven insane doesn't sound great either...

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There is no reason for the kriegers to be psychically resistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I want to stay the gently caress away from the memetic virus so that we have a chance of deleting that part of our memory entirely, please don't do more stuff with it so that it's too late, thanks