Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B, See if we can shake his hand and get a gene sample to see if its another clone or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

VanSandman posted:

Amacita gets spaced or turned into a calculating engine after this debacle. She's a danger to the family.

Amacita is right, though - the Magos is up to something, and has performed human-alteration experiments. Notice the orkification of the disco mutants, and the interest in tyranid biomods. It's only because of DeVries that I'm not voting to devote every resource at our disposal to investigate her.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

A x x
B x x
C
D
E (fake assasin) x

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Colonel Wood posted:

Stage an assassination attempt on ourselves and kill Amacita before the ceremony can be completed We make Devries look bad and keep him from getting into the family

Amacita MUST NOT DIE. No matter how she dies, her death will be blamed on us, and we likely get Cruentus-d. It's the single biggest threat to our survival. (In my humble opinion)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Be ready for any assassination attempts. Including fake ones the groom might have for himself to make him look good.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If I were DeVries, I'd

1. Send a clone to the wedding
2. Wait a little while in case we actually try to kill him
3. Stage an assassination on the clone himself if we don't, maybe kill Amacita while he's at it. Only after the wedding goes through for the second part.

Even if the clone dies he can claim it was a body double because he expected something like this would happen.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
plan my dad

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

my dad posted:

Amacita MUST NOT DIE. No matter how she dies, her death will be blamed on us, and we likely get Cruentus-d. It's the single biggest threat to our survival. (In my humble opinion)

Amacita has to go she's too much of a liability at this point. We hosed up by giving her the artifact and we can't let Devries marry her and get into the family. How about we kidnap her and put her in perma stasis?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'd like to covertly acquire a genetic sample of Amacita before she leaves and match it against the record we surely already have of her. If there's sufficient deviation, she's a clone, and if she's a clone this gets complicated.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

In order to detect a Somebody Else's Problem Field, wouldn't we just need to look at the least interesting thing in the room? Find where we instinctively can't focus on, and then look there anyway. With fire.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

A.
First off, Faybian is coming and is GOING TO MATCH US, drat IT

yes yes yes yes yes

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
An assassin might use the artifact. Have our sensors and servoskull sensor set to pick up anomilies.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
We are walking on thin ice with Lord Sire, he thinks we hosed up and killed Limosa in such a tacky fashion. We can't kill Amacita.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

A.

fabyian more like fabulously-ian

e: where are my gun-skull's holding up the veil and train of the dress

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Really, wouldn't sonar or radar be the way to go for detecting someone with the artifact? I forget how efficacious it is against machines and security systems. Any method of detection that tells us that "something" is in an area, rather than focusing on a particular point or POV would have a better chance of telling us where the thing is.

I understood the artifact to mostly affect the five senses, hence my question about radio or soundwaves. Admittedly, neither of those methods would be useful in a crowded wedding ceremony.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Green Intern posted:

Really, wouldn't sonar or radar be the way to go for detecting someone with the artifact? I forget how efficacious it is against machines and security systems. Any method of detection that tells us that "something" is in an area, rather than focusing on a particular point or POV would have a better chance of telling us where the thing is.

I understood the artifact to mostly affect the five senses, hence my question about radio or soundwaves. Admittedly, neither of those methods would be useful in a crowded wedding ceremony.

There's reason to believe that it works on recorded footage too, at least from our previous attempts to observe Amacita. But it doesn't hurt to try.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

We really should have run a full battery of experiments on the artifact before we gave it back.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Hmmmm. In our experiments with the Artifact did we test smell or particulate matter like dander or skin flakes?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Green Intern posted:

I mentioned last night that, since we know how it works (it's not perfect when we are wearing our thinking caps) we can use video surveillance to look for the absence of devries and those little disturbances we note to find out where he is.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

HiHo ChiRho posted:

A.

I agree with this, I think we should take every precaution to see this wedding go off smoothly, that includes preparing against any shenanigans potentially planned by DeVries. Personally I think we should play the long game re: DeVries and Amacita, the family can not afford to lose her as well, that of course does not mean that she should be independent, but her talents are required and I would hate to lose them.
So first off we should have Skade contact Fabiyan, make sure that he is matching our outfit.
Then we should have our retinue close by and monitor the party as much as possible, have some Krieger emergency medical units on standby, to rush in in case some medical emergency arises.
Also make sure that there is enough anti-SLUDGE serum for the VIPs at hand, just in case DeVries tries the same poo poo twice.
Maybe we could get some expert on poisons and similar agents to give us a list for those poisons DeVries would likely have access to through his IG channels and carry small doses of counteragents for the most likely ones on us. Maybe someone among the Nallani can help us there, as they would have the first hand experience in what they could get their hands on. Probably we should also see if Sincera can find out where the SLUDGE came from, considering that it's something that seems to come from Krieg, this could help us cut one of DeVries connections to the IG.
While at the party we should not make any obvious move to disturb the proceedings and make sure to play nice, so that any aggression by DeVries against us comes off as his fault. (Although he is most likely too good at what he does to do so)
I am worried though about Amacita's long-term survival, so I'd like to ask what the customs of the Beast are about people entering the family through marriage, since from the way the characters behaved it seems that even if Amacita drops dead the minute that she says yes, DeVries would still remain part of the family. So what would it take for him to be denied access? Would we have to prove that he planned her death to have him cast out or would there be easier options?
Maybe we could also try to trawl through prior cases of marriage annulment and the marriage customs to see if there is some legalistic loophole that we could exploit to postpone, discredit or cancel the wedding. Or is the process basically just that the Lord-Sire has to agree and that's it? (I'm thinking something like a minimum duration of residence aboard the Beast, some kind of pre-marriage rites or customs centuries old that need to be upheld or some more obscure stuff that would either postpone the wedding or make it appear less legitimate if it is not performed beforehand)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Hmmmm. In our experiments with the Artifact did we test smell or particulate matter like dander or skin flakes?
Thats the problem, we never really got around to experimenting on the artifact with any thoroughness.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I didn't really see any indication that the Lord-Sire thought we killed Limosa, quite the opposite. Also we have enough evidence against Amacita and DeVries that we can safely report them to the Inquisition or the Lord-Sire, no reason that we should be bothered with doing anything.
A - I don't think there is any danger in going to the wedding.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Thats the problem, we never really got around to experimenting on the artifact with any thoroughness.

Amacita's complete and utter harmlessness is the most dangerous thing we've encountered in this entire game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

C'mon at least get her genetic sample so we can find out of she's a clone or not

If she's a clone we can tell the Lord-Sire that DeVries has probably killed and replaced the original family member and that's our solution right there.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Make at least one formal dress servitor. Might wear a top hat.

In the future details of our augmentations, including where, what, when and how should be treated as a matter of high security.

People who have work done don't let everyone know. They create a plausible excuse for their absence and conceal any details of the work. I can't believe we didn't do that.

Amacita may not be a clone yet, but certainly after the ceremony the real Amacita is probably put in storage.

Have to cut off or completely contain the primary head of the DeVries thing. Any elimination of clones is essentially an advantage to DeVries because it shows our hand.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
E. Hack the lights of every dressing room in the ship and turn them into lasers. Then burn the dresses of every other guest. We're going to be the prettiest girl at the wedding or die trying, dammit.

The flaming lip
Oct 1, 2005
Likes shitty music
I love how this devries thing has us simulating the paranoia ohone must be feeling. The threads flipping poo poo, but are we just snapping at shadows? What if it's not the REAL devries? What if Amacita is fake? Why are there bugs in our skin?

Best villain and problem I've ever seen in a cyoa, I think.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
A for now, no reason to tip our hand until we've got a handle on things. Still need to take time to start putting up all the threads and post-it notes together...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The flaming lip posted:

I love how this devries thing has us simulating the paranoia ohone must be feeling. The threads flipping poo poo, but are we just snapping at shadows? What if it's not the REAL devries? What if Amacita is fake? Why are there bugs in our skin?

Best villain and problem I've ever seen in a cyoa, I think.

Hey, for all we know, the Magos might be assassinating our rivals and setting us up to become the Lord-Sire, so she could have a friend in the seat. :v:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

my dad posted:

Hey, for all we know, the Magos might be assassinating our rivals and setting us up to become the Lord-Sire, so she could have a friend in the seat. :v:

Awww :3:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Guys I have a confession.

I'm the real Devries.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

:captainpop:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

my dad posted:

I kinda got the impression from our last convo with her that the Magos was grooming us to be the next MAGOS, actually. And very deliberately and distinctly not the next Lord-Sire, because you don't mix the two roles together.

That might be a problem, given our manifold ambitions.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Alternate plan : Kill Amacita, replace our fake skin with hers, marry DeVries, kill him on our wedding night while we are in bed.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Also what are our Magoses preferred gender pronouns?!???

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Xun posted:

Also what are our Magoses preferred gender pronouns?!???
"It" and "they"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tomn posted:

I kinda got the impression from our last convo with her that the Magos was grooming us to be the next MAGOS, actually. And very deliberately and distinctly not the next Lord-Sire, because you don't mix the two roles together.

Actually, we're useful as a Lord-Sire precisely because you don't mix the two roles together. Not only does she get a friend (and a member of the Machine Cult) in the place of supreme power on the ship, it ensure that our ambitions present no threat to her position on the ship.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
We need to remember Devries has xenos and mutant allies - we could foment a rebellion against him among the lower classes if we need to.

I wonder if we could get the church to declare him a heretic? That'd simplify matters. Clones are heretical, right?

We need to be checking for the artifact's presence at all times. Make an automatic subroutine and have it flash an alert if it detects the artifact.

We need to start pruning Devries branches - figure out where his power-bases are, then make sure he can't expand, especially into ours. The last thing we want is him to get his claws in deep in the ship.

Devries must die this arc. We're going to have to start fighting him with our proxies. Have Sincera Pax find out where he's keeping his clone bay, maybe consult with the Explorers or the Magos about any new spaces that seem unusually well guarded, or old spaces that suddenly are drawing a lot of power.

I personally consider the Magos to be a perfectly fine fellow, and his heretekal tendencies with Xenos genengineering an amusing quirk.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Tomn posted:

I think the Magos would prefer to have a loyal second-in-command and successor. Based on the last conversation, having Ohone in the Lord-Sire position would be an agreeable enough compromise. This assumes that the Magos is sentimental towards Ohone, and isn't just using her as a tool. The Magos certainly sounded like a wise elder-figure with Ohone's best interests at heart CPU, which is more than can be said for a lot of characters which have been introduced.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

We do have to be very careful with Devries. We played a fairly open cat and mouse game with him before and got burned - We went for a simple ambush, and he sidestepped it entirely by using clones, well after he was already on ship. I bet you he has a recording of that ambush, maybe even played it to the lord-sire to show that he was resourceful enough to fool us and get on the ship.

So what should he expect us to do at the wedding, and how would he prepare for that?

Also in terms of a new hideout? I think we have enough resources to have a place that people know where it is, but would be foolish to take it on without a proper army. We got burned by having a "hidden" location only protected by machine spirits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

my dad posted:

Actually, we're useful as a Lord-Sire precisely because you don't mix the two roles together. Not only does she get a friend (and a member of the Machine Cult) in the place of supreme power on the ship, it ensure that our ambitions present no threat to her position on the ship.

Green Intern posted:

I think the Magos would prefer to have a loyal second-in-command and successor. Based on the last conversation, having Ohone in the Lord-Sire position would be an agreeable enough compromise. This assumes that the Magos is sentimental towards Ohone, and isn't just using her as a tool. The Magos certainly sounded like a wise elder-figure with Ohone's best interests at heart CPU, which is more than can be said for a lot of characters which have been introduced.

Maybe I'm misreading? I thought the Magos outright stated that we're not eligible to be Lord-Sire because we're a tech-priest, and strongly hinted that she thought we'd want to be the next Magos.

Edit:

LowellDND posted:

<Once the marriage is complete, he’ll be eligible for the Dynasty>
<Is that a problem? You are a Tech-Priest. By long tradition on this Ship, Magos and Lord-Sire are separate roles>
<Then what’s your next move? If you plan to follow me as Magos, and aren’t eligible for Lord-Sire - and you dont want him to do it?>