Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Plan Tran. Egads, chanting is terrible. Particularly if we're worried about the taint of Chaos, we need to put a stop to this. Subtly signal to our Kriegers that we're worried about Chaos and/or demons, and get in there and clean this place out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Bail, then sever the asteroid and cast it into the local solar body on orders of the Inquisition. It was rife with the Taint as is Devry and his bride. Declare them all to be excommunicatus including any who do not swear fealty to you and the Emperor immediately. The spacings begin in 60 seconds.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Plan Tran. We might be almost out of time.

LowellDND posted:

8a9b39564a0e6b476c59e76538388944c54520e7
If anyone's confused by this: it's a SHA1 cryptographic checksum computed from a file. If Lowell publishes the file at any point in the future, you can compute the checksum yourself, get the same value, and thereby confirm that the file existed completely unchanged when Lowell posted this. It's effectively impossible to come up with another file that produces the same checksum. This gives Lowell the ability to prove without question that, whatever Devries is going to do/has done, it wasn't retconned in.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
... Great?

It would be just like the man to spitefully destroy himself before we could. Always one step ahead of us.

We are void equipped. Break pressure as we approach. No negatives to us, possible negatives to the others. Amacita is a regrettable loss but worth the price.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

LETS GO SEE THE THING

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

todays music: Kann Denn Liebe Sunde Sein? by Eisbricher

Face in the mirror

You cracked your muscles, stretched your neck. Chanting meant cultists, cultists meant daemons, sure as sure. You met the eyes of your compatriots. They knew too. Not everyone would be making it out alive of this one. Given Devries’ peccadilloes, you were fairly sure he would bend the knee to She Who Thirsts. Perhaps that’s another reason the Eldar wanted to help you - your eternal vendetta with Abraxus.

You checked your grenades, your weapons, your implants. Everyone else was doing the same. One last check, and perhaps one last goodbye. In the last fight with Abraxus, you had lost companies of troops. Here, it was just you and your team. You whispered a prayer to the Omnissiah. Took a breath. It was time.

Your squad walked down the corridors with the ease of long familiarity, guns at the ready, eyes ever alert. You would have bet this team against an equal number of Cadians, maybe even twice that number. You felt the dry mouth confidence of knowing you were the best, but you were walking into something worse.

Furnishings broken and shattered, long knife carves through the walls. Lengthy rants about the nature of the God-Emperor, lengthy prayers and hymns that seemed to trail off when the writer lost their train of thought. You stepped carefully over thrown and scattered food trays, and little bugs scattered. The darkness and your sensors put them in an ugly light.

Ahead of you, a flickering hologram. Only visible to someone who could see ultraviolet - a message to you from another Tech-Priest. His face was haggard, weeks older, although it looked like he had aged years. Never slept. His voice was hoarse, from what you couldn’t say.

<Tech Deacon. Its a trap... He’s dangerously insane. Turn back. Please.> The hologram paused. <I don’t want to die.>

In the room beyond, the chanting had stopped.

Loel fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 8, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Can we tell if the hologram is live? If so, can we find a way to respond? If so, demand intel. Regardless, make another Auspex scan (assuming this is quick and easy) and if/when we decide to move forward, check corners and doorways with the optical mechadendrite before exposing ourselves.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
oh yeah, this was a great idea

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa :f5:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Definitly a recording. Maybe a week or so.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
For fucks sake, set charges, seal the doors, vent the air and launch this ball of chaos into the sun and get the hell away! Also tell the techpriest that we all die, trust in the Omnisiaah and your soul will be saved.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

We are a inquisitor now. It is our job to deal with daemons like this. Make sure we call in to the Fabian/the ship before we enter and if we don't come back, blast it with all the ordinance we have. But first, we need see exactly what we are dealing with here, and what taint needs to be purged.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Sorry, Ohone, but my curiosity is well and truly piqued now. Besides, what kind of hero would we be if we didn't ignore warnings and attempt the impossible?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
:f5: Get paranoid. Expect hostiles at any second. Assume room clearing protocol as you advance. Assume they know you are here.

Be ready to bail, also.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Tell hubby we love him, and give him a SitRep before we go.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

VanSandman posted:

Tell hubby we love him, and give him a SitRep before we go.

Hubby is with you

quote:

A. Named Characters only. Ohone. Megabyte. Fabian. Flours. Tanya. Emile. Sincera. Skade. Dela Torres. Father Krieg. Erasmus. Old Man Henderson. Mission: Scout out, and attack if odds seem reasonable.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Send Fabiyan back to the ship. Someone has to manage things in case everything goes tits up.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
GTFO and nuke it out of orbit.

But we're not going to do that. If it is Abraxus can we smack him in the face with our toxic cat again? I think he/she would get a kick out of that.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Check to see if DeVries is a daemon or something. If so, nuke from orbit. If not, gun him down mercilessly.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Is it time to turn on our psyjammer?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

nothing to seehere posted:

We are a inquisitor now. It is our job to deal with daemons like this. Make sure we call in to the Fabian/the ship before we enter and if we don't come back, blast it with all the ordinance we have. But first, we need see exactly what we are dealing with here, and what taint needs to be purged.

Please explain to me how chucking something into the nearest star doesn't qualify as "dealing with it".

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ArbitraryTA posted:

Check to see if DeVries is a daemon or something. If so, nuke from orbit. If not, gun him down mercilessly.

If it is Slaaneshi it will probably come back feeling pleasure and becoming more powerful from getting toxic cats thrown in its face or something equally sick.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dealing with things like this, you have to do it the right way. You can't just shortcut disrupting a ritual. Any delay at all may result in something very, very bad making its way into a world it has no business being in. You have to go in fast and cut the head off the beast before the body gets through.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Voting is approximately at...

breach and clear
ralith (maybe)
nothing to seehere
tomn
vandandman
abritraryTA

vent and run
Arkanomen
Outrail

send people back
JT Jag

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

ATTAAACKKK Because it'd make for a cooler story and we got fate points unless we don't idk

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Besides, what kind of chapter ending doesn't have a big, satisfying boss fight?

Well, unless we try to vent the thing and end up giving the daemon so much time to prepare that it ends up becoming a ship-sized space monster and we need to hastily take control of the Beast to fight back against it with our macrocannons.

That would be pretty OK, I guess.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Dealing with things like this, you have to do it the right way. You can't just shortcut disrupting a ritual. Any delay at all may result in something very, very bad making its way into a world it has no business being in. You have to go in fast and cut the head off the beast before the body gets through.

It may not be a ritual, it may just be set up to look that way to lure us into a trap. The recordings could be faked by a loyal tech priest. This whole setup is sketchy at best.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In for a penny, in for a pound. Commence the assault!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Breach and clear!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Leave and hurl the asteroid into the sun

Unnecessary corruption points here we come I guess.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
All the electronics are disabled, so safety measures should be offline as well. How close to the surface are we? According to auspex scan/our knowledge of the place, are there any unpressurized areas near us? If so, let's vent the atmosphere (by setting a remote explosive to be activated when we go loud, if necessary) before we move in to attack; we're equipped for vacuum operations but whatever's in there probably isn't, and if there's anyone we want to save, well, a little vacuum is survivable!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ralith posted:

make another Auspex scan (assuming this is quick and easy)

You believe there are two people in the next room. Both are sickly and malnourished. You can tell there is a lot of machinery in the next room. You do not detect any daemonic presence.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The best part is going to be DeVries getting away again.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

LowellDND posted:

You believe there are two people in the next room. Both are sickly and malnourished. You can tell there is a lot of machinery in the next room. You do not detect any daemonic presence.
Can we access the machinery? Can we trace its power supply, and any other connections leading out of the room? Are there any other exits than the one we're coming up to?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ralith posted:

All the electronics are disabled, so safety measures should be offline as well. How close to the surface are we? According to auspex scan/our knowledge of the place, are there any unpressurized areas near us? If so, let's vent the atmosphere (by setting a remote explosive to be activated when we go loud, if necessary) before we move in to attack; we're equipped for vacuum operations but whatever's in there probably isn't, and if there's anyone we want to save, well, a little vacuum is survivable!

Lets say a kilometer to the surface in any given direction. There are some unpressurized areas near by used for vacationing. (space scuba something something).

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ralith posted:

Can we access the machinery? Can we trace its power supply, and any other connections leading out of the room?

Seems like every wire that exists in the compound has been cut.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
I've had a change of heart. Sorry Amacita but suffer not the demon to live, even if it means collateral damage. Leave. Send this cesspit into the sun.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

For serious, though, I still think Devries has just gone nuts. The tech-priest's warnings were useful once, but it's too late now - he's already dead, or is possibly the caretaker. Whatever trap Devries has planned no longer has a coherent guiding hand or purpose. Doesn't mean it's not dangerous, but I still bet it's going to be mostly neutered and slightly anti-climatic actually come to think of it, there's a decent chance it IS a dangerous suicide bomb intended to force us to negotiate - except Devries' mind has decayed to the point where negotiation isn't actually an option any more and he'll blow the rock on a nothing.

Actually, speaking of which...Lowell, the two people we can detect - does one of them have extensive mechanical implants?

Tomn fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 8, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

For serious, though, I still think Devries has just gone nuts. The tech-priest's warnings were useful once, but it's too late now - he's already dead, or is possibly the caretaker. Whatever trap Devries has planned no longer has a coherent guiding hand or purpose. Doesn't mean it's not dangerous, but I still bet it's going to be mostly neutered and slightly anti-climatic.

Actually, speaking of which...Lowell, the two people we can detect - does one of them have extensive mechanical implants?

Yes, the healthier one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Xun posted:

ATTAAACKKK Because it'd make for a cooler story and we got fate points unless we don't idk

We do, our inner circle dont.