Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Strut up there with a cane and top hat.

"Oh if you're blue/
and you don't know/
how close to get to/
where the Emperor sits/
Shoot 'em till he's fixed"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

"Maybe it's because I'm a Rogue Trader" done to Maybe It's Because I'm a Londoner

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Current: 379,938
Feb 1 Goal: 500,000

Todays music: Eve Online. Also, I bought EVE on sale :v:

Apocrypha

It looked like an entire world - and perhaps with the massive psyker distortions, it might have been. Clouds of incense - an entire atmosphere - migrated slowly about the vast chamber, accompanied by the discordant chanting of countless choirs. This was the inner sanctum of the entire Imperium, the heart of it all. Without this place, there would be nothing else.

Far in the distance, running along ancient tracks, thousands of cattle-cars brought an endless number of psykers to be processed. Some simply fed the insatiable hunger of the God-Emperor, while others received the Sanctioning - that which allowed them to be Astropaths, Navigators, combat troops. You thought you could hear their screams.

This was the most fortified chamber in the Imperium. A thousand Custodes in full regalia stood, ever vigilant, and you knew a Primarch was within calling distance at all times. Indeed, he stood next to you at this moment, watching the proceedings with implacable gaze. Ching Shih was rubbing her temples, eyes closed, as she stood behind Rogal Dorn, and your Lord-Sire had settled back into his chair. Not out of exhaustion, but of awe.

Rogal Dorn spoke quietly. “When I was last here, building the Throne, unknown figures approached us. It was after the civil war, and we were still rebuilding Terra. We should have … attacked them, felt threatened, something. But all they offered was a feeling of calm, of peace. They knew how things ended, they said.”
Ching Shih spoke. “Xenos?”
“I don’t know. But they offered a small box, sealed with the Emperor’s own hands. An exact copy arrived on Titan at the same time, by what looked to be the same figures. When all was lost, they said. My brother and I were to open the seal, read the documents. The Terminus Decree.”
You blinked. “And you have no idea of the contents, or who they were? Or what it would do?”
“It’s a two key authentication. Two seals, read at the same time. What it does… I do not know.”
He paused. “I don’t know why I am saying this, when I have remained silent for so long. Remember that there are things unknown even to the Primarchs, greater than us. Events are transpiring, and even I am not aware of it all.”

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Scan the box

No one can truly know how things end up. That is the trap of the feathered one. Then again it could be something delivered by Ohone and Fabs from a failed timeline after they achieved godhood.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The Emperor is as close to becoming the Corpse God of man and the Galaxy is destroying itself in a war over a chunk of rock that will be for naught when the Tyranid motherfleet swarms over us all.

What I'm saying is open the drat box old man. Or do you want to tell me things are not yet so dire?

Gonna laugh if it turns out the emprah died a long time ago and behind the curtain is a low level tech priest and his Alpha plus level servitor.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Uh, he can't open the box. He doesn't have both codes.

LowellDND posted:

Lowell noooooooo

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

LowellDND posted:

Current: 379,938

You poor fool.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Listen to these people, Lowel.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current Mental State

Team Mars Federation. Pragmatic, hopeful, somewhat open minded. Athena's corner, Hera in a good mood. - 21

PLC
Outrail
dog kisser
5 Random Paul
Althair
Ralith
Swedish
Arcturas
10 Toughy
Grognan
Hot Dog
BB Rod
15 Zybourne Clock
gnarl
Hexenritter
sheepdodger
AntiCheese
20 bonemonkey
the final stand

Team Inquisitor: Cautious, practical, subtle, long-term. What would Kozilek do? -12

JT Jag
Sniper
Hiho
Haystack
5 Sullat
Tran
Tomn
Kinetica
Holly
10 Jesusiccolorblin
Wentley
falcon2424

Team Catgirl
be kawaii as gently caress make the imperium kawaii or something - 8

Xun
subtle boomerang
Don Vincenzo
Jaegerx
5 Waci
heliTurtle
MaliciousOnion
Puistokemisti

Team Paranoia: Full Stalin. Paranoia, contempt, authoritarianism. - 4

Slaan
Ark
ArbitraryTA
LordCyrahzax

Team Ricola: Riiiiicolllaaaaaaaa - 3
Revitalize the Imperium, soothe scratchy relations, blow alphorns.

Volmarias
deadmeat5150
Paragon

Team Xeno - 2
Tau's philosophy, eldar's beauty, ork's ferocity, human's dignity, and AI's 1010101

Nyaa
Oasx

Team Black Crusade Just as Planned. Max out xenotek, heretek, and warptek. - 2

Rahul
reignonyourparade

Team Magos: Just run the numbers. Cold, clinical, looking for optimization. Not cruel, not empathic. - 1

Van Sandman

Team Satan Hail Satan - 1

LCT

Team Sombrero All hats - 1

The Paradigm

Team Dynasty: Self interest, personal benefit, increasing the wealth and standing of you and your Family. - 0

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Changing my paradigm to Team Please Don't Abandon Us For Eve

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 380,341

Eightfold Path

The Primarch started into the distance for a time, then finally shrugged. “Aside from the Custodes, you are the first person to enter this chamber since the reign of Vandire, four thousand years ago. A fair comparison, I think. Alicia Dominica came here to save the Imperium, and you want to as well. Perhaps Ferrus’ tool will be sufficient.” He paused. “It would be good to speak with my Father once more.”

He glanced back the way you came. “The Custodes will observe you from here forward. Don’t become proud, the presence of the Emperor is not … healthy for the unprepared. Even in the armor, I suggest a certain amount of haste.” He nodded his head in a vague imitation of a salute, then began walking away, his voice fading. “Athena, it was good to see you again. Frederik, I haven’t left Terra in many years. Tell me the life of a Rogue Trader…”

The chambers seemed both more vast, and yet smaller with his absence. You met Athena’s eyes. “You didn’t tell him it wasn’t you.”
“Neither did you. I prefer to be cautious, particularly here.”
“Mm. Don’t think you could take him in a fight?”
“I’d rather not test it, anyway. It would certainly make a mess of things, and we’re guests here.”
“Never done this before?”
She shook her head. “I slept the entire reign of the Imperium.”
You gestured. “The psyker energies affecting you at all? I see you chose to wear the suit.”
Athena chuckled dryly. “Can’t you just picture me walking around without it? It would cause a certain amount of questions.”
“So is that a no?”
“Well, no. Even Avatars feel something, this close to an anomaly like this.”
“Is that what you are calling it? An anomaly?”
“Can you think of a better description?”
“Divine Grace?”
“I fail to see the difference.”

You both began walking, two tiny insects marching across the endless floors.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 380,668

The Desert of the Real

Your skin itched. Even a casual glance through Athena’s faceplate showed similar - a deep sunburn, here and there raising in tiny blisters. Not that second-degree burns meant anything to either of you, but it was an unpleasant thing, and a distracting one. Absently, you wondered what would happen as you got closer - would you burn away to metalline bones, as you had under the atomic fire?

You coughed, throat dry. Probably some psychosomatic something or other, but even so. You wished you had water, although you were unsure of how it would act in a place like this. Would it be boiling, or simply changed by strange warp energies? You wondered how the Custodes managed. Or, for that matter, all the psykers travelling below you, in their little valleys built between the platforms you walked.

You weren’t sure if it was a distortion in the air, a physical response to the energies, or something else. Athena’s face was looking … different. Changed. You wondered if your face had similar, like something was looking out from behind it. A laughing skull behind a melting flesh mask. Your face was synthetic, after all. Perhaps it was better you had no mirrors, no place for self-reflection.

“I have to ask, Athena.”
“Mm?”
“Why come on this trip? No one else in my entire retinue wanted this far.”
“Well, I don’t feel unworthy, to be one.” Her voice was amused.
“Really? Of seeing a God-Emperor?”
“Near equals, let’s say.”
“He hasn’t been at his peak in ten thousand years.”
“And I haven’t been at mine in twice that. I consider it even.”
You laughed briefly. “Fine, have it your way. But why come this way at all? You could have sent … nano-probes or whatever, all those scout ships you are going on about.”
She glanced away. “The security here is rather expansive, even for me. For reasons that are too complicated to go into, it had to be an Avatar.”
“Okay, but… why?”
“Curiosity, mostly.”
“That’s it?”
“That’s it.”

And an echo from the past; you can stop her…

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Um, maybe we should not let Athena see the Emperor

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Do not deny a goddess.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Maybe we ask her what her intentions are for our God-Emperor of Mankind. She can use small words.

What's she look like:question:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tell Athena you'd like to be the only one of you two to approach the emperor proper when you use the device. If she asks why tell her you don't want to commit an act of sacrilege in the immediate presence of the emperor.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Man, really? you're really going to make Athena evil? >:(

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Man, really? you're really going to make Athena evil? >:(

quote:

Goandy man loel
19:08 Goandy are you really making athena evil?
19:09 loel well, you are hella paranoid and in an area of unusual psyker energy
19:09 Goandy I thought we were slightly less paranoid now
19:09 loel Im not going full unreliable narrator, yeah
19:09 loel but your face is kind of melty
19:09 loel so hers is going uncanny valley
19:10 loel OR something is wearing her face
19:10 loel and wants to get near the throne
19:10 loel where the warpgate can be opened
19:10 Goandy all according to plan
19:10 loel just in time for anna's invasion force to strike
19:10 Tran We're extraordinarily paranoid, Athena is cynical as all hell about our faith, and this is one of the most devastating places in the empire for a betrayal.
19:10 loel ^
19:10 loel like, terra gets turned into a daemon world level

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If Athena wants to blow up our society we've already given her everything she needs to do it by sending the message.

Also disrupting the Astronomicon would kind of put a damper on the "As many ships as possible to Golgotha" thing.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Even without the sudden, but inevitable betrayal, I still would have wanted to get to the Throne by ourselves. Athena's my girl, but The Emprah is my god.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
The Hat Goes First. Athena must stay a distance back.

Don't want her inserting another kill switch into the throne carried on our "toy". Our fix is a toy to her, she's going to do something to enhance it and maybe corrupt the repair. I don't like it but I don't have any choice.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Honestly, I suspect Athena is more curious about the "anomaly" than actively villainous right now. She might want to do science at him, but probably won't activate the webway and turn Terra into a demonic battlefield suitable for the rise of numerous new daemon princes.

...Probably.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I don't think she's fallen to Chaos. She can be an agent but there isn't enough soul stuff to work with. There might be enough material to approximate one but you can't build corruption of that kind without a base. She's more likely to install something that changes the throne to her advantage. Maybe instead of it reviving the Emps it keeps him comatose like he is now or kills him on the right signal.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Help Athena do her thing.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ask her to stay put

Her reaction will be telling.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 9, 2015

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So what we're seeing here are votes for team paranoia?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I would like to say that walking into a nuke helped us prepare for this. It's all part of The Plan. :tinfoil:

I might or might not be implying this will blow up spectacularly

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Trusting Athena

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Everything is fine, nothing is ruined. I still trust Athena.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I still trust/hope she is what she says she is but just as importantly I am hitching my wagon to her star either way. She's our patron. Hopefully she is cool with the God-Emperor though because that guy is like our husband's favorite sports team y'all.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
We're so utterly hosed that Athena blasting the God-Emperor isn't even the worst thing that could happen to us and the galaxy as a whole, really. Trust her. Trust, especially unearned trust, is the only act of faith Ohone really does anymore.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ask Athena to stay
hollylolly
randompaul
BB
ark
haystack

Let Athena do what she wants
waci
tran
grog
hot dog
van sandman

Ask intentions
plc

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Ask her to stay behind

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Trust in the Waifu

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

If Athena did turn out to be malicious, what exactly would be able to do to stop her at this point? If she did want to do something to mess up the emperor, do you really thing she'll stay her hand just because we asked nicely? She's a demigod-tier entity, we're not going to be able to do poo poo either way.

edit: guess this counts as Let her do want she wants and hope that she secretly corrupts the corpse-god.

Rahul fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 9, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Switching to ask intentions

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

Rahul posted:

If Athena did turn out to be malicious, what exactly would be able to do to stop her at this point? If she did want to do something to mess up the emperor, do you really thing she'll stay her hand just because we asked nicely? She's a demigod-tier entity, we're not going to be able to do poo poo either way.

You should vote to let her come with then!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Ask her to stay. And be up front about it. "Athena you need to stay here. I've been warned. If it's curiosity then you'll understand. If you've got untoward plans then I can't let you come any further."

If she's gone bad than the sooner we find out the better. The best time to tear off the bandaid is now.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ask Athena to stay
hollylolly
BB
ark
haystack
sniper
outran

Let Athena do what she wants
waci
tran
grog
hot dog
van sandman
hiho
rahul

Ask intentions
plc
randompaul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Ask her to wait while we approach. We can tell her we want someone to report back if things go wrong, or some other excuse. If she refuses and is about to betray us, nanoseconds could be crucial as far as the throne's defenses are concerned.