Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Death would be a mercy for Ohone with the magnitude of karma train headed her way. Mark my words I bet we'll end up burning a fate point to make sure we die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Just as planned.

Killed by poor life choice should be the thread title, though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Lowell should put that in line one of the op.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

poor life choice posted:

Maybe Ohone got really caught up in her new titan and forgot to drop her off. That, and unless we dumped her on someone leaving Sol as we entered the system mom's either still in holding or on her way to Golgotha. :owned:

Hmmm.... -throws on the list of unresolved plotlines-

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008
So all of the major factions are accounted for except the craftworld eldar now? They've been fairly quiet for a while now...

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

SergZpartan posted:

So all of the major factions are accounted for except the craftworld eldar now? They've been fairly quiet for a while now...

If you count the guy talking about his new diorama representing all of the Necrons, then yeah.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
They can see the future. They've spooled up the craftworlds to maximum thrust and are currently in deep void, heading to another Galaxy, any Galaxy.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Why didn't they do that in the first place, right after The Fall, when their craft worlds were first made?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

maxhush posted:

Why didn't they do that in the first place, right after The Fall, when their craft worlds were first made?
Craftwords don't actually work like that. They can only go sublight speed, which means it takes them forever to go anywhere.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

JT Jag posted:

Craftwords don't actually work like that. They can only go sublight speed, which means it takes them forever to go anywhere.

And amazingly accomplish nothing along the way.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

JT Jag posted:

You'd think it wouldn't matter, as long as they were going as far away as possible.

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Bit late, but here's a selfie with Athena and the Emperor

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Epic :D

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
loving Millennial-40ers ain't got no respect with their selfie shots and STCs. Back in my day :arghfist::rant:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 405,906
Jan 4 Goal: 412,903

Golgotha

The Planet Killer had no other name. It needed none.

At Abaddon’s command, the primary lance opened fire, gigatons of energy leaping forth. It was built to shatter continents, crack open planets like an eggshell. The weapon only had the vaguest notion of where the planet of Golgotha was - based on century old star charts - but it hardly needed to be accurate.

Across millions of kilometers, through trillions of tons of flesh and carapace, the beam traversed. Countless numbers of xeno were ionized instantly, become plasma, igniting all around them. The heat alone destroyed everything within a thousand kilometers of the beam itself, and still the terrible energies were channeled into the main gun.

It hit the Ark Mechanicus fleet, effortlessly destroying a dozen Arks and their supporting armadas. Their shields buckled and failed, their armor turned to liquid and then gas, and the ships were gone, even as the lance slammed down into the planet itself. The Imperial Navy had tried multiple Exterminatus - but they lacked the will, the power of the Despoiler.

Continents broke. Tectonic plates rumbled like dishes in an earthquake, mountains of liquid heat rising hundreds of kilometers into the air. The atmosphere itself ignited, the oceans of xeno blood boiling in an instant. The beam overcame the gravity of the planet, breaking it into a scattered rubble field, in which uncounted mountains crashed into each other.

They would settle into a planet eventually, perhaps in a few millenia, but the xeno forces were already filling the crevices. Billions of Orks and Tyranids dove into the tunnels and revealed chambers, extending the battle into the newly created honeycombs. Within weeks, even days, high temperature variants were fighting near the core of the planet.

Almost invisible, a small fragment broke apart from the rock it had been trapped in. Only a few kilometers long, it was carefully protected under a stasis screen - that the xenos simply treated as another combat platform. Humanity, though - both Imperial and Chaos - knew it for what it was. The Dyson swarms smashed into each other, rushing for the ship known as the Olympus.

In the volume of perhaps a moon, nearly every ship of Humanity struggled for dominance. They flowed in in their countless numbers, contested by the swarms of Orks and Tyranids. The Mechanicus were closest, and made great efforts to reach it, even as the Imperium fought the attempted breach of Chaos. There was only the most fragmentary strategies, only the grunting struggle of colossi fighting in the mud of the ruined planet.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
THE BALL IS FUMBLED AND ITS AN ABSOLUTE FREE FOR ALL OUT THERE I TELL YOU!

and the prize for recovering the ball is nothing because it's empty you fools hahaha

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Didn't Athena turn half the planet's center into a DOTA weapons manufactorium?

I like how Abbadon used a planet murdering weapon and it effectively did sweet gently caress all.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
That's what we think she was doing. What if it was just something that looked like that but was really nothing more than a shadow play to whet everyone's appetite and an escape hatch for when things went to poo poo leaving nothing behind but an empty void shielded present...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySGMnmiqlss

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 406,332

Golgotha

The Tyranids did not care what was placed at the center of the planet. They searched for biomass, for useful rare earth minerals - but for the devices left behind they cared not. The Orks, for their part, examined them for their utility - they were flawless and unbreakable - but could not be used as weapons. Some were dislodged, made part of vehicles - but the Weirdboyz complained of them, and the practice was discontinuted.

The Mechanicus immediately identified them as Cadian pylons.

Several meters in height, made of some unknown alloy, they were impossible to modify or deface. The sigils carved into them were made by unknown hand, and lacked any explanation as to how, or why. Nonetheless, beachheads of Mechanicus - Imperial and Dark - created emplacements around them, drawn by some purpose they could not explain.

The pillars themselves emanated strange, otherworldly effects - most often distorting gravity around them. It is perhaps this that held the fragments of the planet close to themselves - or, perhaps, the sheer mass of the xeno swarm was doing what simple rubble could not. Regardless, the Tech-Priests spoke to each other quietly, as if they felt something was watching.

Some of them laughed for no reason, or fired their weapons at nothing. Their minds were thrumming with … something, something that compelled them to act. The Magi cut off contact with the outposts - they spoke of understanding what was behind the binary, the number that had been forgotten or perhaps never been known.

The Tech-Priests continued without guidance of the Magi - building machines they didn’t understand, that didn’t need or require coaxing of the Machine-Spirits. The pillars changed natural laws, bending and twisting the gravity about them, and perhaps time. There were concepts that the Mechanicus suddenly understood, that would be incomprehensible to the outside. There were concepts they were forgetting. Something was gestating, in the core of the planet.

And it was spreading.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Everything is fiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 406,664

High Lords

Inwardly - keeping care to keep it off your face - you decided Devries would have to go. The whole line of him, everyone of the odious little puppet masters. They were too dangerous, and too disruptive. Of all your enemies, they had come the closest to killing you, and you were determined to preempt them from doing it again.

Although, Kiera had removed your head.

And Anna/Gorgon had (probably?) killed you.

Point was, Devries had to go. You had a copy of his DNA from his previous iteration, and part of your mind was already coding some sort of targetted biological killer. Kiera would have been proud. It would take time to make, and to deploy, and even act - you wanted it to lay dormant for decades - but you would see every Devries dead.

Part of you winced at the necessity - you weren’t one to shy away from killing a High Lord if it suited your purposes, but the Master of Assassins had a rather extensive amount of resources tailor-made to kill people like you. You even had one of his assassins at your palace right now, and it was built to kill your best defenses. A tricky little puzzle. One you would focus more on after the Second Battle for Terra.

All of these thoughts passed in a moment as you nodded to him. “Perhaps. How do we want to deploy, if we’re facing such a fleet?”
“Let’s wait for the others … ah, here they are. I believe you’ve met the Captain-General of the Custodes.” You stood, bowed. Rogal Dorn nodded impassively back.
“And the Lord Commander Militant of the Imperial Guard Ezekiel.”
You blinked, but bowed nontheless. “You didn’t go to Golgotha?”
His voice was a growl, his face heavily scarred. It looked like he had had his throat cut at one point or another. “We didn’t really see the need for a ground General.”
“I suppose. Helps that you are here now, though.”
He shrugged. “The Captain-General has defended Terra before. I expect his expertise is rather more than mine.”
“I don’t expect him to reveal himself, though.”
“Perhaps.” Ezekiel looked around the table, nodded. “Shall we begin?”

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
We should talk with Athena about what she has planned. Maybe ask her if there's anything we can do to help.

Also, considering that there were multiple votes explicitly to accept that this Devries isn't our dead Devries, maybe reconsider out knee-jerk emotional meat-reaction.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Waci posted:

Also, considering that there were multiple votes explicitly to accept that this Devries isn't our dead Devries, maybe reconsider out knee-jerk emotional meat-reaction.

^

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ah, I took that to be 'destroy later, not now'.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I meant my vote as 'Let it go, he has not personally crossed us. He made our life difficult doing what he thought best, something that we have done to countless others. Let's accept what has happened and move on, but remain vigilant, just in case.'

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I mean we can set up the targeted DNA bioattack and set it up as a failsafe on ourself in the event of our demise.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I have a question: Where is General Creed in all this mess? He was the only man who could out Exactly-As-Planned the birdbrain Himself.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Waci posted:

We should talk with Athena about what she has planned. Maybe ask her if there's anything we can do to help.

I thought the do nothing now, but get bio-weapon kill switch later was pretty popular, though, and entirely within character?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Maybe mentally developing a person-specific, galaxy-spanning bioweapon is just Ohone's way of working off some frustration at seeing someone she doesn't like. Other people count down from 10 or think positive thoughts.

Everything is fine. :)

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Lowell, i've been lurking far too long and haven't complemented your work yet, and I feel bad about that. Thanks for writing a really enjoyable yarn about our inability to make good choices.

Also, oh boy, Trazyn, you are going to have the pimping-est diorama ever. :allears:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Unwise_Cashew posted:

Lowell, i've been lurking far too long and haven't complemented your work yet, and I feel bad about that. Thanks for writing a really enjoyable yarn about our inability to make good choices.

Also, oh boy, Trazyn, you are going to have the pimping-est diorama ever. :allears:

Thank you! :D Always good to have another reader.

And yeah, we can see how we feel about the plague after the war :v: Nurgle wants his cameo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We could have the virus give him unstoppable diarrhoea. Nursing would like that.

Whats with the diorama talk? Is it a necron thing?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

We could have the virus give him unstoppable diarrhoea. Nursing would like that.

Whats with the diorama talk? Is it a necron thing?

Trazyn the Infinite is an odd sort of Necron who has the best museum in the galaxy. Head of a Primarch kind of thing. Speculatively, it looks like he and Athena might be trying to make a diorama of the entire system.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 407,030
Jan 5 Goal: 416,129

High Lords

The Primarch nodded. “The invading fleet is lead by Huron Blackheart, a Traitor Space Marine who was in charge of guarding the Maelstrom. He has a history of being very cunning, and his timing is impressive. He must have gathered all his forces the moment he heard the Message, and gambled Sol would be empty.

“Right now he is currently in the process of destroying the Shipyards of Thule. It will take him a fair bit of time - they have been continually improved and expanded since their origin - but we have no fleet in position to stop him. As such, my proposal is to attempt to anticipate his next target, and reinforce it.”

You waited a moment, spoke. “I could attempt a spoiling attack. My ship could wreck a fair bit of havoc, maybe delay some of the damage to the Shipyards.”
“It would be risky. There aren’t any ships to reinforce you, so it would be you alone. You would be attempting to go in, smash some of their material, and escape.”
You showed your teeth. “Sounds like what they are doing. Why not turn it around on them?”
“It’s definitely an option. It’s entirely possible that he is performing an exaggerated raid, simply to show his strength to the other Warbands. He’s already done more than Abaddon, which will help him in their pecking order.”

The Mother Abbot shook her head. “We can’t rely on hoping he leaves after a raiding action. At the very least, it shows immense weakness that a warband can just stroll in, hit our shipyards, and leave without damage.”
Ezekiel shrugged. “What else can we do? If he attempts a landing, we’ll ruin his day, but he has the high ground and choice of targets.”

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Not only a kickass frozen-in-time diorama, but one that is shrunk down on a pedestal until you want to take it out and play with it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 407,326

High Lords

Master Marinus tapped his fingers one by one. “By my count, there are really only three priority targets for them to hit - Terra, Mars, or Titan. Titan has the least defenses, but that doesn’t mean much. Any one of the locations has more fortifications than Cadia, and Titan is specially built to fight and contain daemons.”

“Think Blackheart will hit one of the other two?” Ezekiel asked.
“I have no idea. Trying to get a handle on his motivations. Beyond ‘best raid since Horus’, which he has already has accomplished, what is he here for? Given the numbers we’ve seen, he’d have to commit everything to one target. He knows we don’t have many transports left, and he would likely shoot down any we attempt.”

He paused. “Perhaps it’s my own biases, but I think he will go all-in on Terra. This is a once-in-ten-thousand year opportunity, and he wouldn’t abandon that just to get some points in some internal politics. I think he’s testing our resistance at Thule, and will hit Terra once he sees we can’t stop him.”

Dorn nodded. “Do you think a raid would disrupt his plans any?”
“With respect, I don’t. We’ve been picking off his forces for months now, and he hasn’t shown any interest in the losses. I really do think he’s going all in.”

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

Current: 407,030

High Lords

The Primarch nodded. “The invading fleet is lead by Huron Blackheart, a Traitor Space Marine who was in charge of guarding the Maelstrom. He has a history of being very cunning, and his timing is impressive. He must have gathered all his forces the moment he heard the Message, and gambled Sol would be empty.

“Right now he is currently in the process of destroying the Shipyards of Thule. It will take him a fair bit of time - they have been continually improved and expanded since their origin - but we have no fleet in position to stop him. As such, my proposal is to attempt to anticipate his next target, and reinforce it.”

You waited a moment, spoke. “I could attempt a spoiling attack. My ship could wreck a fair bit of havoc, maybe delay some of the damage to the Shipyards.”
“It would be risky. There aren’t any ships to reinforce you, so it would be you alone. You would be attempting to go in, smash some of their material, and escape.”
You showed your teeth. “Sounds like what they are doing. Why not turn it around on them?”
“It’s definitely an option. It’s entirely possible that he is performing an exaggerated raid, simply to show his strength to the other Warbands. He’s already done more than Abaddon, which will help him in their pecking order.”

The Mother Abbot shook her head. “We can’t rely on hoping he leaves after a raiding action. At the very least, it shows immense weakness that a warband can just stroll in, hit our shipyards, and leave without damage.”
Ezekiel shrugged. “What else can we do? If he attempts a landing, we’ll ruin his day, but he has the high ground and choice of targets.”

The ship is huge but really modular, right? Well we load up on stationary weapons placements that we can dump when we there, lightening us up for movement and a few targeted attacks. Suddenly they have a whole new set of stationary weapons hammering on them from very close by. It would force an immediate response or a ton of damage gets done to their fleet. While they're occupied the Dragon does its own thing. BONUS lead from the front with the Eschatologist (Eschatology?) , hitching a ride in our indestructable-rear end titan and giving us a sick opportunity to jump from one ship to the other, gently caress it up, hop back while the Dragon flies circles around them, further creating mayhem.

With the exception of "if we die or lose the ship or mech" - nothing bad happens! :)

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

poor life choice posted:

The ship is huge but really modular, right? Well we load up on stationary weapons placements that we can dump when we there, lightening us up for movement and a few targeted attacks. Suddenly they have a whole new set of stationary weapons hammering on them from very close by. It would force an immediate response or a ton of damage gets done to their fleet. While they're occupied the Dragon does its own thing. BONUS lead from the front with the Eschatologist (Eschatology?) , hitching a ride in our indestructable-rear end titan and giving us a sick opportunity to jump from one ship to the other, gently caress it up, hop back while the Dragon flies circles around them, further creating mayhem.

With the exception of "if we die or lose the ship or mech" - nothing bad happens! :)

Do this!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 407,552

High Lords

Ezekiel shrugged. “I’m not convinced.”
“Oh?”
“Right. He doesn’t have to commit in any strength, not in any rush anyway. He could sit on the outside of the system and lob rocks for decades.”
“Why would he do that?” The Mother Abbot looked startled.
“I mean, yes, he will probably hit Terra. But not immediately. He’s punched through the outer defenses and the shipyards - we can’t replace anything substantial. He can float around the system as he likes.”
She frowned. “I’m not sure his warband would go for it. They want blood, sacrifices, wealth.”
“Yes, but remember he is a pirate far more than cultist. And was a Space Marine Chapter master before that. So I contend he will attempt to weaken Terra first.”
“How so?”
“Cut our supplies.” He pointed to a spot on the holograph. “Terra receives megatons of water from the Outer Cloud every day, a system set in place before the Imperium was created. If he interferes with that, we’ll be seeing a drought - and famine - of cataclysmic proportions.”
Master Marius considered it a moment. “The losses would be within acceptable margins. A handful of percentage points, perhaps.”
“Perhaps. But it would be a massive distraction - riots, insurrection. We might start seeing Cult activity on Terra itself. One can only imagine what the Plague Father could do with such a situation.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Everything past Mars is a total loss with the exception of Titan. Divert all resources to plan SHOOT EM INTO THE SUN. Alternatively, redirect ALL PRODUCTION in the system to construct a huge goddamn swarm of radar spoofing wild weasel FF missiles that carry payloads of the densest poo poo we can find. They will be primarily engines and carry no explosive payload to speak of. If they hit, they do nice kinetic damage for us. If they get neutralized by PDC fire, they turn from slugs into buckshot. Hats off to Sir Isaac Newton.

f.e. didn't Hera hijack our Titan?

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 5, 2016