Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

:allears: The best of all possible worlds.

Current: 410,600

Slice of Life Something. 85 Maybe?

Adept Quinnel checked his dataslate. “Vault 17-B-4. Ammo.” It was a large door, tightly shut, and the walls around it were reinforced against blasts. As was completely reasonable, with a room full of explosives. He had done inventory on three per week, they were massive things. He could understand why the Munitorum had acquired podspace aboard the Dragon, but it sure made his job harder.

He walked up to the door, checked the entry keys. Looked like they hadn’t been used since the pod had been installed. He shrugged, typed in the required numbers. After a long pause, the door opened, the deep sound of a pressure seal breaking, the two atmospheres equalizing. It was very dark in the chamber, and the Adept frowned.

It was mandatory for ammo pallets to be displayed, numbered, and categorized. Leaving them in a dark room was unacceptable, and he determined to speak with the local crew about this. First though, finish his job. Get the count done. He stepped forward, walking into the darkness, and the door shut behind him. His eyebrows creased. Was that normal? The other vaults hadn’t done that.

He pulled out a light-rod, activated it. Began walking around the chamber. The expected lanes of pallets didn’t exist, at all. Instead, parts had been thrown in a seemingly haphazard fashion, no rhyme or reason. An abandoned storage room? But then, why had it been sold to the Munitorum for space? His skin itched. Someone was attempting to graft the Administratum, and he full-well intended to put a stop to that.

Best to make absolutely sure. Perhaps the ammo had been placed all in one side, or shifted during transit. He began walking the distance, began sweating. It was a very large chamber - he would almost bet the length of the Dragon itself. No pallets to be seen, only the strange stacks of devices, placed in some inexplicable order. Were some … humming?

He checked his dataslate - it should have mapped the room, as was custom for visiting the vast storerooms. The debris was … forming to take a shape? The full conclusion of it was at the edge of his mind, something he could almost define. It looked almost half finished, and his brain vaguely wondered what it might be.

A pair of eyes appeared in front of him, vivid, and a body followed. Archaic clothes, strange uniform. Eight circles. She smiled at him. “Oh, now this won’t do at all.”
His dataslate fell to the floor. The person who had been Adept Quinnel slowly dissipated into the air, all of his parts separated into their chemical vapors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

osnap

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Waifu building something bad-rear end. :swoon:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 411,050

Im kind of speeding along the plot points cuz I wanna big space battle :D But I do intend to go back and intersperse them with character development

Outer Cloud

“Mm. Well, look at that.”
Tens of thousands of individual objects, a cloud measured in the megatons, was heading towards them at dozens of kilometers per second. It would difficult to move out of the impact zone - it was spread across ten thousand kilometers, and getting all the fleet out would take time.

Anna nodded. “It’ll cost us.”
“Only happening once, though. That’s all the debris of Terra’s orbit, if I don’t miss my guess.” He looked to his subordinates. “Inform the fleet to move the prison ships to intercept, and we’ll…”
A sudden flash of light. Everyone ducked their heads, covered their eyes. After a few minutes it faded, and Huron looked at the sensor panels. A sphere hundreds of kilometers across had been torn out of his fleet.

“What in the Corpse’s name was that?
Anna considered. “Relativistic kill vehicle, probably. Used the debris field to cover the acceleration.”
“And you knew about this?”
“I had a hunch. Like you said, they can only do it once. They lack the debris to cover the next missile.”

He growled, claws flexing. “We can’t take many more hits like that regardless. We need more cover.”
She gestured. “Mars belt? It will be contested, but will conceal us from the missile platforms on Mars and Terra.”
“And leave Titan unconquered behind us. A not enviable position.”
“We don’t have much reason to stay at Thule, and several not to. Do we advance or retreat?”

Huron paused, nodded. “Advance the fleet to the Mars belt. Keep the prison ships as skirmishers. Fire the remaining necessary volleys at Thule, I want it gone.”

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
How about having The Beast and then attack the enemy flagship's group with our Titan.

And then all forces remaining on Titan teleport onto Huron's bridge or something.

Meanwhile, the Mechanicus moves weapons platforms into all new, very kill-the-enemy-fleety positions.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
all you athena worshippers - she's gonna gently caress up our ship, are you really gonna let this happen?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Shotgun message to the outer system with the Athena voice commanding munitions officers to load all ammo backwards.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

all you athena worshippers - she's gonna gently caress up our ship, are you really gonna let this happen?

Yes. She has every right to tinker in privacy.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oh, since we havent done this in a while, lemme know if your position has changed.

Current Mental State

Team Mars Federation. Pragmatic, hopeful, somewhat open minded. Athena's corner, Hera in a good mood. - 22

PLC
Outrail
dog kisser
5 Random Paul
Althair
Ralith
Swedish
Arcturas
10 Toughy
Grognan
Hot Dog
BB Rod
15 Zybourne Clock
gnarl
Hexenritter
sheepdodger
AntiCheese
20 bonemonkey
the final stand
lives in grey

Team Inquisitor: Cautious, practical, subtle, long-term. What would Kozilek do? -12

JT Jag
Sniper
Hiho
Haystack
5 Sullat
Tran
Tomn
Kinetica
Holly
10 Jesusiccolorblin
Wentley
falcon2424

Team Catgirl
be kawaii as gently caress make the imperium kawaii or something - 8

Xun
subtle boomerang
Don Vincenzo
Jaegerx
5 Waci
heliTurtle
MaliciousOnion
Puistokemisti

Team Paranoia: Full Stalin. Paranoia, contempt, authoritarianism. - 4

Slaan
Ark
ArbitraryTA
LordCyrahzax

Team Ricola: Riiiiicolllaaaaaaaa - 3
Revitalize the Imperium, soothe scratchy relations, blow alphorns.

Volmarias
deadmeat5150
Paragon

Team Xeno - 2
Tau's philosophy, eldar's beauty, ork's ferocity, human's dignity, and AI's 1010101

Nyaa
Oasx

Team Black Crusade Just as Planned. Max out xenotek, heretek, and warptek. - 1

reignonyourparade

Team Magos: Just run the numbers. Cold, clinical, looking for optimization. Not cruel, not empathic. - 1

Van Sandman

Team Satan Hail Satan - 1

LCT

Team Sombrero All hats - 1

The Paradigm

Team Dynasty: Self interest, personal benefit, increasing the wealth and standing of you and your Family. - 0

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm not sure if I'm in team Mars or Xeno. Por que no los dos?

Also, why can we only do it once? Big rear end Asteroid, meet orion thruster nukes. Big rear end Asteroid currently traveling towards enemy fleet at relativistic speeds, meet bombs we put inside you. Expanding Cloud of Asteroid bits hurtling towards enemy fleet at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light, meet enemy fleet. Don't worry, your friends are right behind you.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Outrail posted:

Also, why can we only do it once? Big rear end Asteroid, meet orion thruster nukes. Big rear end Asteroid currently traveling towards enemy fleet at relativistic speeds, meet bombs we put inside you. Expanding Cloud of Asteroid bits hurtling towards enemy fleet at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light, meet enemy fleet. Don't worry, your friends are right behind you.

It would be funny if we could get one of the minds to open a portal of some kind to just make it come at them again, from the side this time. Repeat until victory!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

I was thinking that they would shoot the thruster down before it got relativistic, since it doesnt have the cover of the debris cloud this time.

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008
Team Catgirl

For only one reason, after pages apon pages of grimdark, Lowell would have to do a 360 and make everything have a happy ending for as many beings as possible.

Faintly, you can almost hear the literary threads in his head snap.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Also, what do you want to do while the enemy fleet heads for the Asteroid Belt?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
How many nukes does Terra have?

Yeah I see your point kinda, also kinda anti climatic. But we should remember that trick for another time.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

LowellDND posted:

Have people put nukes all up inside all the asteroids and turn it into a killing field.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Outrail posted:

Have people put nukes all up inside all the asteroids and turn it into a killing field.

Yeah, is the asteroid field actually doing anything for us that is so important that we shouldn't sacrifice it to save Terra?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

poor life choice posted:

Yeah, is the asteroid field actually doing anything for us that is so important that we shouldn't sacrifice it to save Terra?

Nothing that cant be replaced. Mining, water collection, sensors, defense platforms, fleet construction, orbitals.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

LowellDND posted:

Prepare. Talk with Athena. Talk with our retinue. Talk with High Competents.

I want my character development dialogues dammit.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

Nothing that cant be replaced. Mining, water collection, sensors, defense platforms, fleet construction, orbitals.

Then make the asteroid belt a death trap.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Ohone Starkiller

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Hey wait, what if the chaos fleet is just one big soul trap and Anna is throwing them into the Terra grinder to buff herself for whatever poo poo she's going to do.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Could be, could be. That does sound like a thing we will do.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Arkanomen posted:

Hey wait, what if the chaos fleet is just one big soul trap and Anna is throwing them into the Terra grinder to buff herself for whatever poo poo she's going to do.

If we circumvent that by letting the fleet loot, pillage and kill their way to the throne then I guess roll the dice and see what Anna has up her sleeves, because that sounds terrible. :shobon:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Outrail posted:

This because Babylon 5 was a good show.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

This because Babylon 5 was a good show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3iN-JlyYxE For those who havent seen it :D

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Waci posted:

Yes. She has every right to tinker in privacy.

rude this ship is literally Hera's body

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

rude this ship is literally Hera's body

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvMC7cNXhFE:nws:

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Im thinking Gorgons going to ambush them with her Ophelia fleet as Huron moves towards Terra, to stop big E's delicious corpse and psyker power that'll let her get a seat at that table falling into Anna's hands

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ok, they're flustered. They have to move faster than they want to. We can't reasonably stop them from destroying Thule, but they're gonna probably waste more ordinance on it than they would have preferred. Then they're going to close on Mars, and Mars probably has plans.

Upon their approach to Mars, I suggest we bring the Beast into play, and start harassing. Quick strikes. Give the Fabricator General enough time to execute whatever plan he has in mind.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Nuke the asteroids

We can also send Little Miss Stabby on a mission.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Nuke the asteroids

We can also send Little Miss Stabby on a mission.

Decapitation strikes by commandos on selected enemy ships would be a good plan, especially if they can rig them to crash into other ships. Like in the TIE Fighter LP.

Otherwise, seems like we could station lots of little fighter ships in the asteroid belt. Arm them with as heavy bombs as we can, and use them on enemy ships at extremely close range. Call it Operation Divine Wind. For the Emperor!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Does the Sol system have millions of solar collectors? Can we angle all of them to focus on a single point?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Outrail posted:

Does the Sol system have millions of solar collectors? Can we angle all of them to focus on a single point?

Do we also have any spare kitchen sinks that we could accelerate to 0.999999999999C while we're at it?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

Yes, and yes, but slowly.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

sullat posted:

Decapitation strikes by commandos on selected enemy ships would be a good plan, especially if they can rig them to crash into other ships. Like in the TIE Fighter LP.

I was actually proposing in IRC yesterday about Operation RAMMING SPEEEED, where Adelaide would just keep on commandeering ships and crashing them into larger ships and then comandeering that ship, like a russian nesting doll.

You'd have cultists running away from a little girl, covering in blood and entrails waving knives while screaming "COME OUT AND PLAY WITH ME!". That may be more effective than just regular commandos.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Wouldn't we have several junkrain shots due to the debris cloud being a rotating sphere surrounding earth?

Plan Adelaide katamari ship murderer.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

Yes, and yes, but slowly.

Well then you'd better get started!!! Plug Knoxie into The Device (there's gotta be one somewhere), get Athena calculating probabilities - whatever would need to happen to continue to clown on their fleets with unusual weaponry.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Does the Asteroid Belt still exist? Are there small rocks we could ram into them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There Bias Two posted:

Does the Asteroid Belt still exist? Are there small rocks we could ram into them?

Yup! It ranges from clouds of dust and metal, to orbitals, to the big rocks (ceres, vesta, pallas, hygiea)

There Bias Two posted:

Do we also have any spare kitchen sinks that we could accelerate to 0.999999999999C while we're at it?

Already threw them :v: