Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm sure the only way to beat Chaos is to make chaos beat chaos. turn em against each other.

Or turn all of humanity into blanks or tau/human hybrids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Outrail posted:

I'm sure the only way to beat Chaos is to make chaos beat chaos. turn em against each other.

Or turn all of humanity into blanks or tau/human hybrids.

Ultramarines are ahead of you there :v:

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

LowellDND posted:

Ultramarines are ahead of you there :v:

Okay, now I'm ready to declare war on Ultramar.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tran posted:

Okay, now I'm ready to declare war on Ultramar.

Mom is over here in deep cover somewhere, looking up at the sky and saying I told you so

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Do we even know where she is anymore?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Do we care?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

She'll be back in the sequel probably.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 419,618

Truth

“You remember when we first met.”
“Certainly.”
“You promised you would tell me a truth. What if we continued it?”
“Me telling you the truth?” Her tone was amused. “Secrets from the Lord of Change aren’t cheap.”
“Truth for truth, then.”
She laughed with genuine humor. “What do you think you know that I am not aware of? What secrets do you think you have?”
“I would scarcely tell you the ones I thought were still secret, now would I?”
“Heh. What do you want to know?”
“Why did you abandon the God-Emperor?”
“Thinking of a career change?”
“Trying to understand the mind of the enemy.”
“Mm.” She looked at the sky, took on a thoughtful tone. “I was very young.”
“Fleeing from the Black Ships, the stories have it.”
“Indeed. I developed my talents when I least expected it, and had no interest in being processed.”
“So… you swore to the Great Enemy?”
“Mm, not then. Made a number of … lesser arrangments, bargains, before then.”
“The Darkness.”
“Yes. I needed the ship to find some things for me.”
“What things?”
She glanced at you. “You aren’t ready for that truth, sister.”
“Uh huh. So, you went on your quest. Found the Great Enemy?”
“Turned out I needed the additional resources for … something that was important to me.”
You cocked your head. “More than your soul, more than the loyalties of your Family?”
“Yup. There are such things.”
“I see.” Your tone was disbelieving.
“You will.”
“Did you get it?”
“Hm?”
“What you wanted. The thing you needed resources for.”
“Mm, not yet.” She chuckled humorlessly. “You know how it is. One more deal, one more bargain. Always chasing that final goal.”
“What is it?”
“Something you’d find agreeable, believe it or not.”
“I doubt it.”
“We are Family, after all. I’m not so far gone as all that.”

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

And Family...matters.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Indeed.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

VanSandman posted:

You can't win a fight with Khorne. You can't win a fight with any of the gods of Chaos. If the big E got off his throne and powered us directly, we'd have trouble making them notice us. It is folly.

That's quitter talk brother.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I like Anna. Athena has Chaos pals. Why can't we? It's a brave new world.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
They aren't your friends, they just want something from you!

Anyone who takes a Chaos deal is a sucker, as we aptly proved when Anna hosed us over on Agatha's world.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

Anyone who takes a Chaos deal is a sucker, as we aptly proved when Anna hosed us over on Agatha's world.

You are so cynical.

Current: 419,932

Conversion

“I’ll be honest, it sounds like you got a bad deal.”
Anna blinked. “What?”
“I mean. Traded your soul, abandoned the God-Emperor. And for what?”
Her gaze hooded. “You don’t know.”
“No, I don’t. But have you accomplished it?”
She sighed. “No, not yet.”
“Yeah, and how many centuries you been at this? You are a Family legend.”
“Many.”
“Ever think the Lord of Change saw you coming? A young kid, you said. I think you got the bad end of a deal.”
Anna shrugged. “If I get my goal, it was all worth it.”
“Sure, but how many cultists get their goal? Most the ones I’ve heard of die or become slime beasts. You think Lukacs was expecting to get chopped into mince?”
“Where are you going with all this?”
“I’m already breaking into two Realms of the Warp. What’s a third?”
“What do you mean?”
“I’ll make a good faith effort to get your soul back.”
“Heh. I both doubt that you could, and doubt that you would.”
“Bring someone back to the light of the God-Emperor? Kind of the job description.”
“Usually Inquisitors are about lighting people on fire.”
“Family.”
“Ah. Make an exception, will you.”
“Sure.”
She looked away. “Well. I can’t say that I can say yes to your offer. My goal is … rather important to the Family, so it’s not something I can stop.”
A thought occured to you. “What if I could get the goal, without trading my soul? Then would you consider it?”
Anna laughed briefly. “That… that would be something I’d like to see.”
“So if you tell me what you joined the Great Enemy for, maybe I can get something done. Assuming it’s not detrimental to the Imperium or whatnot.”
“Oh, of course.” She glanced at you. “I might tell you, at that. Some day.”

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If maybes were geneseed we'd all be Space Marines.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

paragon1 posted:

Well how about we start with her saying she'll give us the staff in any offer (presumably that looks like an offer) and go from there?

Things I want to see happen: we ask her about the staff, about the spine, and about the Darkness. We ask her what we have that would help her achieve "her goal" (in an attempt to get a hint as to what the goal is). We may or may not give her that thing. We get the staff (hopefully). We confer with Ching Shih about it. She created it in the first place. I want her take on it before we give it to Athena or anyone else.

Here was the first time we met, if anyone doesn't recall:

LowellDND posted:

The Question is

You were skeptical of anything telling the truth in this place, where everything including the natural laws shifted and lied. How to tell if someone was even real or human? You flicked on your Psyoccolum, and… she was ten feet high, her feathers and furs shifting into something far more birdlike, stretched out a serpentine neck, although she still had a human face. Around her neck was a silver collar and chain, stretching far off into the distance you shook your head painfully.

“Ooh,” She said sympathetically. “That couldn’t have been pleasant.”
“Just what you see in the mirror everyday.”
She chuckled. “Let’s not ruin this. Your question?”
“Who are the Darkness?”
She clapped her hands and spun around, laughing girlishly. “Oh, and they said you were far too gone to ask the right questions. Very well. You ask to see if the Darkness is the Nightlords, champions of Chaos and Terror. You ask to see if they serve my father. They do not. The Darkness serves its tasks set forth by the champion in the blue and the gold, Roboute Guilliman.”
You came to a full stop. “You can’t be serious.”
She laughed again. “The truth will not make you happy Ohone. The truth will not set you free. And now… “ She curtsied mockingly. “I must go about my father’s work.”

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 24, 2016

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
"No. NO! NOT loving SOMEDAY. HERE. NOW. YOU AND ME. No more schemes and partial truths. No more smoke screens and half measures. I am laying it all down for you. Parleying with an enemy. You don't see me having a friendly conversation with loving Huron trying to handle his goddam daddy issues. This is family here. You don't hold out on family because that poo poo gets your loved ones executed and the dregs purged. How many dead, how many failed plots, how many bad bargains. This is the deal of a lifetime and I'm holding out my hand. Is this a joke? Am I a joke to you? Please, no don't do that little coy smile and answer with some little cryptic statement. Athena can hide us away, you can shut down your powers so that loving blue chicken can't hear. The only way out is through. So do you want to go for another loop of failures and bargains or do you want to live like a proper rogue trader and steal our fate back, leave a box full of dreg crap, and steal the doors on the way out."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
You gotta light the box of dreg crap on fire so they stamp on it and get poo poo all over their shoes bit otherwise yeah, all of that.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I can't remember, are we trying to turn down our homicidal temper or not? Anyway, we should be probably tell her that she still needs to backstabbing Huron before any real deal can be made. Burn a bridge or two.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

sniper4625 posted:

Voting against the sudden outburst of robophillia

Someone doesn't appreciate the proud tradition of robo-erotica in Something Awful CYOAs.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Trade staff for promise of soul, give staff to Athena.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Trade staff for promise of soul, give staff to CS, CS becomes Anti-Anna, Anna and Anti-Anna embrace and end the universe

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 420,241

Embrace

Your voice was a growl. "No. NO! NOT loving SOMEDAY. HERE. NOW. YOU AND ME. No more schemes and partial truths. No more smoke screens and half measures.” Her eyes widened, but she said nothing as you continued. “I am laying it all down for you. Parlaying with an enemy. You don't see me having a friendly conversation with Huron, with Abaddon. This is Family here.”

Your voice calmed. “You don't hold out on Family because that gets your loved ones executed and the dregs purged. How many dead, how many failed plots, how many bad bargains? This is the deal of a lifetime and I'm holding out my hand. Don't do that little coy smile and answer with some little cryptic statement. Athena can hide us away, you can shut down your powers so the blue chicken can't hear.” Anna had settled back down, watching you expressionlessly.

You took a breath. “So do you want to go for another loop of failures and bargains or do you want to live like a proper Rogue Trader and steal our fate back, leave a box full of dreg trash, and steal the doors on the way out?"

Anna cocked her head. “Like that, is it.”
“You know this the only path you win on.”
She glanced at Athena. “A moment alone, if you would.”
Athena nodded, vanished. Anna met your gaze. “The truth, then. No Inquisitor and cultist, just Family.”
“Yes.”

She made a show of glancing around her, looking at the empty platform, the dark skies. Her voice was low. “You remember right before you met me.”
The ruined city, metal spires of Golgotha. Shards of bone and skeletons of metal. “Yes.”
“I found it too, when I was about your age.” Her tone had an odd intensity. “You can explore more of it. Other … places.”
“Yes?”
“They are all like that. Cadia. Mars. Titan.” Anna met your eyes. “My bargain was to prevent it.”
You blinked. “Why would you make a deal to … save Imperial worlds?”
“Same motive as you. Can’t rule a wasteland. Regardless of everything else, I need something to survive. You and I may disagree on the shape of it, but something needs to be there.”
“So… what?”
“I’ll accept your offer. Good faith effort to get my soul, and I give you the staff.” She stared at you. “But you must agree to help prevent that future.”
“Can’t see why I wouldn’t.”
She shrugged. “You do a lot of odd things, in the futures I’ve seen.”
“I suppose.” You paused. “And what about your invasion? Plan to switch sides?”
Anna chuckled. “No. And I won’t sabotage the fleets, or kill Huron, or whatever else you might hope for. I might need him later.”
“You make a poor partner.”
“I’m better than you know. I will personally leave the battle, however. As a favor to Family.” A stillness, a silence. Anna had grabbed your wrist, a crystal bracelet sliding down her arm and onto yours. ‘This is the most valuable possession I have. Give it to Ching Shih.’ Her tone hardened. ‘I have used considerable power to keep Athena’s attention off of it. If you draw her attention to it, our bargain is ended and I will be your eternal enemy.’ Her tone became brisk. “You’ll find the Staff in your quarters.”

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Unwritten History posted:

Noncanon

You took your mind from his memories, looked at Horus. He stared impassively back, still smiling faintly. You had considered removing the fluids out of his body by sheer wil, but there was something that was .... appealing.
"What was your deal?"
He blinked. "Ah.. I take your place on the throne, bring Chaos unfettered to your worlds as you step down, and I am accepted as your favored son."
"Very well. I accept."
He looked as startled as you'd ever seen him. "I tried to kill you, end your empire."
"Yes."
"You know you can't trust me."
"Yes."
"Then... why are you doing this?"
"Because... I have to." and you brought your lips to his.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Noncanon

You took your mind from his memories, looked at Horus. He stared impassively back, still smiling faintly. You had considered removing the fluids out of his body by sheer wil, but there was something that was .... appealing.
"What was your deal?"
He blinked. "Ah.. I take your place on the throne, bring Chaos unfettered to your worlds as you step down, and I am accepted as your favored son."
"Very well. I accept."
He looked as startled as you'd ever seen him. "I tried to kill you, end your empire."
"Yes."
"You know you can't trust me."
"Yes."
"Then... why are you doing this?"
"Because... I have to." and you brought your lips to his.

LowellDND posted:

Embrace

She stared at you. “But you must agree to help prevent that future.”
“Can’t see why I wouldn’t.”
She shrugged. “You do a lot of odd things, in the futures I’ve seen.”
“I suppose.”

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Okay, taking a break from the Horus/Emperor erotica, we should:

• Wrap up the battle. Likely Anna is gonna whisk Huron away somewhere, leaving the chaos fleet in disarray
  • Give CS the family jewels in secret
  • Start rebuilding Terra
  • Slap god awake and figure out how to defeat Gorgon and probably Ultramar

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Gorgon and Ultramar will happen next arc (in the fall), so don't worry about that just yet. Same with the heists.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

HiHo ChiRho posted:

• Wrap up the battle. Likely Anna is gonna whisk Huron away somewhere, leaving the chaos fleet in disarray
  • Give CS the family jewels in secret
  • Start rebuilding Terra
  • Slap god awake and figure out how to defeat Gorgon and probably Ultramar

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
This is a trap and we will burn for it. Athena or the God-Emperor, I don't care which.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Do we have any more questions or trades with Anna, or shall I proceed?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

VanSandman posted:

This is a trap and we will burn for it. Athena or the God-Emperor, I don't care which.

Yeah but the cool thing about the trap is that we can step in it or not and the OP gets to move the story along. I like it! Anna is a good character.

• Call CS to our quarters to check out this weird staff that showed up
  • Give CS the family jewels in secret, probably
  • Win the battle for Sol, probably losing the conspicuously absent Terra in the process.

LowellDND posted:

“They are all like that. Cadia. Mars. Titan.” Anna met your eyes. “My bargain was to prevent it.”

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Did we give Anna the knitting needles? If not, do it now.

I'm fine with moving on otherwise

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

Do we have any more questions or trades with Anna, or shall I proceed?

I mean, some token "haha, wait, what out of nowhere item did you just slip me" inquiry might be appropriate. As is asking her more about the hidden message while we teleported now that Athena is gone.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

poor life choice posted:

I mean, some token "haha, wait, what out of nowhere item did you just slip me" inquiry might be appropriate. As is asking her more about the hidden message while we teleported now that Athena is gone.

Is Athena really ever gone, though? :tinfoil:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
When Anna is gone, ask Athena about what the hell Anna is talking about, and whether we can help her deal with chaos trying to gently caress with her plans.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Do Not immediately turn in Anna, let's see how it plays

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I vote for keeping Anna's secrets from Athena as I am very, very distrustful of Athena at this point.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

hollylolly posted:

I vote for keeping Anna's secrets from Athena as I am very, very distrustful of Athena at this point.

As opposed to someone who openly worships the Great Deceiver. This makes perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
It is probably okay to not put ALL our eggs in one basket.

empty quote this when Anna suddenly but inevitably betrays us