Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So a vortex grenade opens a portal to the Warp.

Can we fire a vortex missile into the warp rift? For science reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Is it the warp... or is it the Emperor?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Hold on. I thought that we were constantly doing course corrections. Are we close enough that we're basically already in the trajectory to get there?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
WHO CARES ABOUT THE LITTLE PEOPLE(sectors)!? FULL SPEED AHEAD. KILL THE PSYKER KILL THE WARP!

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
##vote
1. A; C

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Outrail posted:

So a vortex grenade opens a portal to the Warp.

Can we fire a vortex missile into the warp rift? For science reasons.

this is a good question. what happens when we tear a hole in a hole?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
##vote
1.A,C;D

meteloides posted:

this is a good question. what happens when we tear a hole in a hole?

It gets bigger.

The best way we can deal with a warp rift is to neutralize the facets of the warp that make it so dangerous.

Ready...

*finds nerve*

Ready the Goodwill Overtures at All Times cannon.

May the Emperor forgive us all.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm not sure it would get bigger. I think we'd open a warp rift to another warp, a different plain of existence or open a hole back to realspace.

Let's do it.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
It's a trick to get us to turn back. Huron doesn't know where we are. He knows where our false images but that's it. If we turn around or jettison anything, he can estimate our position and will then bombard everything in the area.

Keep in mind that this area is under constant suppression from the warp by the Emperor. That maelstrom may be feeding itself and growing off the souls of the moon it just ate, but it's going to butt up against the Emeperor's will eventually. It will most likely burn itself out and reseal. If we keep pressing forward we can cut this whole mess off at the head, regroup and then deal with the fallout in a coordinated and concentrated matter.

There is not scheme or plan that is going to make this end cleanly. Can't win a two-front war and we are committed to our charge.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ark makes a good point

##vote
1. C

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Doesn't our ship have a calming effect on the warp, with all the faith chanting?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

##vote
1. Plan Ark

Changed my mind a little.

We are essentially silent running. We have to do our best to continue in a way that gives off nothing telling. Radiation is what paints you as a target in relativistic terms. We can also be picked out via psychic phenomena in the immediate. We haven't really masked our tells, we've simply distorted their location.

Huron knows this so he is trying to create a reference point. Think of the way scientists today "discover" planets by looking at the gravitational lensing of light as a planet traverses a sun. By observing the pattern the sunlight flickers we can make estimations about the planets size, orbital speed and composition. Huron hopes to do the same. He can't catch us with standard sensors and even then it's a relativistic crapshoot, so he's going all warpy to pinpoint us with Psyker bullshit.

The maelstrom is a biggest pile of bright and loud psychic asshattery. On a scale of 0-10 of volume it's a mutant purple cat having sentient screaming tea with an abstract south-American rodent. Ohone's flagship is a big fat negative 12. We smooth the warp out like a big dampening spring. You can imagine what pretty interference waves those two things running against each other make, even more so when the nasty abominations that live there will say to Huron's Psyker sensors. It also has the nice effect of reading the minds of all the non-Abrograte ships that don't have good warp-fuckery proof fields.

So, what do you do when someone is trying rally hard to listen to your whispers? You scream utter nonsense in their ear, as loud as you can. While everyone else runs off.

We take a single ship, fill it with the most fanatical of our Abrogrates. Loyalists so loyal an ArcoFlag would look like an edgy teen atheist in comparison. Make sure it's some holy fractal number and that they are loaded up with as many regeneration implants, Psyker relays and wards as inhumanly possible. Hell, make them all astropaths with retroviri, Whatever it takes to make them human Astronomicon repeaters. The ship is then rigged with as many layers of gellar fields as can be installed, but in reverse. The idea is not to keep the warp out, but the Astronomicon energy in. The ship then is ejected from the mass I real space, but made to look like a bit of normal space debris.

We then throw the Holy Psyker Hand Gernade into the middle of the maelstrom after a count of 5 and laugh as Huron gets a huge blast of bullshit as Holy and Unholy make a big loud psychic mess that should over load any warp/Psyker-tuned senses.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 3, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
That sounds stupid and insane. Let's do it.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Yeah like, 6 of the most fanatical abrogates loaded up with Psyker genes, loyalty hymns, cognitive processors that let them pray at the speed of silicon. Replace all their bones with vat grown copies of Fabiyan's hexagrammatic bones. Pump them full of Eversor blood, regenerative drugs and nanites and anything else that can keep their souls stuck in their melting bodies. They gotta know they are going to be martyrs too to get that extra drop of faith into the Pipebomb o' Piety.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Outrail posted:

That sounds stupid and insane. Let's do it.

-Thread motto.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Weaponized faith. Humanity gently caress yeah.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
With the Emperor waking up any minute now I don't see how this could possibly fail!

##Vote
1. Plan Ark

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Plan Ark sounds like some old-school Ohone shenanigans. Lets do it.

##Vote
1. Plan Ark

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
It may or may not be prudent to hide all of our Psykers in some warded room, or get them some tin-foil and a mop bucket. It's gonna be loud...

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
If you can't stand the Warp :frogout: of the maelstrom.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

poor life choice posted:

If you can't stand the Warp :frogout: of the maelstrom.

It's considered polite to call out the use of a flashbang before use as binding your own team is ubiquitously considered a faux-pas.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

loving glorious

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Changing vote, for I think probably the first time ever, or at least in a very long time:

##vote
1. Plan Ark

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Arkanomen posted:

It's considered polite to call out the use of a flashbang before use as binding your own team is ubiquitously considered a faux-pas.

Really, who hasn't woken their buddies by throwing a flash bang in their room? :)

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

it really is a weird day. I'm agreeing with Ark on something.

##vote
1. Plan Ark

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

##vote

1. Plan Ark
, but with the twist that they also believe Huron is a buttface who drinks his own pee for fun, just to ruin his reputation in the warpy zones.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

lmao the management is trying to change their image (by renaming themselves and redoing all the wall panels). except their cut the internet and power for half the complex :v:

worst. apartments. ever.

Ive mostly caught up on the homework (have a couple papers left, but meh). Kind of unsure how I want the battle to go, so I'm working on that :v:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Don't worry about casualties. At all. Worry about not enough casualties. On both sides.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

Don't worry about casualties. At all. Worry about not enough casualties. On both sides.

qft

This is 40K, deathcounts are routinely kilo or megadeaths. Just have fun with it. Giant space battle activate!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Have Ohone get shot from behind, everyone stare at her, the hole in her heart, the blood. Real movie cliche. Then they all open fire including Ohone because that birch won't die.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Like every great space battle. Two fleets deadlocked and blasting the poo poo out of everyone while an epic Mano a mano fight occurs on the enemy's bridge.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
As Nelson said, never mind manuevers, go straight at them and board them in the smoke.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 438,675

With a bit of help from chat, I figured out the scene. Thanks guys!

Todays music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpcTtWSG7yM with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6DIyc0Ic-s

Aetherstorm

The Warp was a seething, boiling mess, most often compared to the oceans of worlds. It was far vaster than that, being the sum total of sentient dreams and feelings - an unspeakable hurricane hundreds of thousands of light years - and tens of millennia - across. The surface, the hurricane, was the most familiar to Humanity, the storm they traversed, the sea monsters they hid from.

But that was a passing thing, only the surface of the oceans … There were things in the deep never seen, never imagined save by the most fanatical of cultists, and they were in no condition to share their awareness to the merely sane. It was called the Deep Warp, and the things that existed there were the daemons to what Humanity called daemons. But we shall not speak of such here.

Instead, this was one of the … calmer areas of the Warp, as such things went. Enough to power the armies of summoned and tainted that Huron had called to his banner, but not the truly horrific bendings of reality that would melt flesh and shatter minds at the merest approach. The shallows of the Warp, the doldrums - the safe harbor from which Huron the Blackheart would defend his prize. For once he defeated you, who was left in the solar system?

And you knew he was searching for you in the real world, even as you desired to find him in the aether. Both nearly invisible to the other - your ships a mere hole in the black, while his were chaos set in Chaos. The first strike would likely be a decapitating one, hence the need for surprise. He, with his uncounted armies - you, with your ancient archaeo-tech and forbidden lost lores.

Your research into the Warp had been minimal - but you knew it could aid senses, grand precognition, tell the future. When your ship crossed the border into that hellscape, you expected your fleet would be instantly seen, and set upon by the serpents even now gathering. You couldn’t see them, at this range, but your sensors were slowly climbing, picking up the eldritch energies that made you yearn for stronger Gellar fields. This was not a place for the merely human.

When the enemy was searching you - make a distraction. A decoy to draw their attention, a spotlight to blind their nightvision. They would be surprised, distracted - overwhelmed. And your fleet would slip by them, unnoticed. And for Humanity, the method of concealment - indeed, the primary tool for any such effort - was Faith.

One of your parasite craft was even now being loaded up with the most Faithful among you. A few dozen fanatics, even among a ship of fanatics. Twenty three, to be precise. The ninth prime, itself a square of primes. A sum of three other primes (five, seven and nine) - and three was a prime as well. Sacred numerology was an obscure area of research in the Inquisition, but it was no less powerful, for that. And these death commandos knew it.

Ideologically pure, through years of self-denial and reflection. As close to original human stock as could be found - never in their line has their ancestors been on a world different from Sacred Terra. No additional organs, adjusting to some distant world. You had had their skeletons replaced and stamped with hexagrammic wards, a most agonizing act of Faith. They prayed and chanted all through it, and even you could see their pressure building. Limosa had gone to the other end of the ship - Fabiyan had stayed with them. Chanted with them.

You applied your most powerful technologies dedicated to keeping them alive, regardless of what happened. Used the devices of the Primarch to make them the perfect versions of themselves. Even went into the locked files of Magos Kiera, empowering their psychic potential, making them shout to the heavens with their Faith. Humans weren’t meant to blaze like stars, and the Astropaths aboard ship were given extensive training to survive even being a fraction of it.

But these fanatics weren’t going to survive, and they knew it.

Experimental technologies, aided by Hera, kept the psychic energy inside their small craft. It was building, building, like heat on the skin. The only one not showing any disturbances was Fabiyan, himself full of the God-Emperor’s power. Everyone else aboard ship had started covering their eyes, their ears. Speaking softly of things they had seen. No one had slept or eaten in the last three days - no one had felt the need.

There was something stronger, here.

The Martyrs stood in a line, outside their shuttle. You saluted them, and they saluted back.

And then they were gone.

”The Martyrs” posted:

Nikia
Florentina Cabeza
Galerius Nulaati
Vespasian
Cerra Angilello
Ardias Mordino
Fixari Fensel
Quiana Parkhouse
Brin Legall
Lindsay Haslinger
Modesto Jerger
Baltus Boorom
Raptor Litmanowicz
Belia Homza
Beherns Hongisto
Emmy Leonidas
Cannicus Comeauy
Valeris Foules
Carausius Casuat
Oswaldo Crotwell
Hadril McAnaw
Nortas Mozo
Shu Leomiti

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Ave Imperator, Deus Lux.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 8, 2016

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
I got chills.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
*pours out for my dude Hadril McAnaw*

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

And they shall know no fear

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Where do I start concerning learning about this extensive, extensive lore?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Watch if the Emperor had a a text to Speech device. They cover most of the Lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Arkanomen posted:

Watch if the Emperor had a a text to Speech device. They cover most of the Lore.
I love that show, yet I still do not know the stars, planets, weapons, divisions and specific non-major events enough to understand much when role-playing a tech-priest.

Also did the Emperor just deliberately let things gently caress up last episode? (Intentionally cracking Magnus and setting kitten up to force himself out, I bet)