Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

your problem is that there are a significant lack of kittens in your posts tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I got you fam

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I really don't think Ohone would ever just let the gloves off because she's already winning and she wouldn't just give up control of basically anyone without a really compelling reason.

Athena could just trick her into thinking its necessary I guess, though Ohone was looking into getting more MarsFed councillors to make that harder to do, I thought. Well more to placate Hera, but still.

Just imo obviously, no idea what anyone else's read on it is.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Current: 452,049

There is less than one Space Marine for each world of the Imperium, yet it is enough

The Grey Knights were the finest troops in the Imperium. Costing more than planets, their selection process only allowed one in a trillion to go through - and their weapons and armor cost as much as fleets. Relics of the Great Crusade, all of them, perfectly maintained over ten thousand years, granted to the next step of Humanity. Pure psykers, posthumans, untouched by Chaos, trained to the finest extent imaginable.

They were said to be near clones of the God-Emperor, the least deviation from the sacred DNA that wound through all Space Marines. A squad could overcome a daemon outbreak that was overrunning worlds - and a Company (or as they called them, Brotherhoods) were used for the most catastrophic incursions. When Daemon Princes escaped the warp, and all their retinue, it was a Brotherhood that was deployed.

More than two dozen of the Conclave Diabolus - their most wanted and reviled enemies - were at Ceres. Typhus, the Herald of Nurgle, was the foremost, but there were others, Daemon Princes and great powers. The chance to cut the heart out of the Plague Lord’s forces, banish daemons that had haunted Imperial history for millenia - oh yes, the Grey Knights would rise to meet them.

Nearly the full might of the Grey Knights - more than seven hundred of the most sacred of the Astartes - arrived at Ceres this day.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

paragon1 posted:

I really don't think Ohone would ever just let the gloves off because she's already winning and she wouldn't just give up control of basically anyone without a really compelling reason.

Athena could just trick her into thinking its necessary I guess, though Ohone was looking into getting more MarsFed councillors to make that harder to do, I thought. Well more to placate Hera, but still.

Just imo obviously, no idea what anyone else's read on it is.

Yeah, I saw the button as a turbocharged fate point burn: win/survive but with caveats. It's something that makes sense as a hail mary or forced move, but why is Ohones psyche clicking over into doomsday mode when she's pasting cultists without a sweat with hubby in her lap?

E:I realize this is prob doing nothing to actually progress the thread, so I'll shut up, just wanted to express myself.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Noncanon

You closed the browser on your laptop, looked at Loel. He stared impassively back, still smiling faintly. You had considered removing the nerves of his face, but there was something that was .... appealing.
"What was your deal?"
He blinked. "Ah.. get Waci to goon rush the button, pet some cattes, cash in on this fat cow and retire."
"Very well. I accept this turn of events."
He looked as startled as you'd ever seen him. "I ended the thread."
"Yes."
"You know you can't trust me."
"Yes."
"Then... why are you doing this?"
"Because... I have to." and you brought your lips to his.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:golfclap:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 452,310

The only comparable experience was when you had merged with the Iron Hands, all those years ago.

The difference, of course, was a matter of degree. Instead of a mere dozen Iron Hands, your Titan predicted the actions of hundreds of Grey Knights. They were orders of magnitude more numerous, more powerful - using weapons far more powerful than the armor of your Lord-Sire. They moved with a speed and precision that could only remind you of when the Minds had gone to war.

Hundreds of Space Marines, teleporting across the battlefield, erupting in psyker powers, using ancient weapons each the equal of the battle tanks you had seen used on Golgotha. You were not merged with them directly, as you had with the Iron Hands - they lacked the interfaces - but the Titan you wore predicted them all the same. You worked in terrifying sympatico, your weapons breaching hardpoints, their teleports leaving the daemons flanked and overwhelmed.

Even your normally augmented brain would have trouble keeping up with the sheer - well, chaos - of the battle, keeping track of the dozens of units all operating around you - but the Titan took care of that as well. You were as comfortable in the river of information as a fish would be, and took appropriate actions as needed. In your fragment of the battlefield, it was an utter slaughter of the profane.

The battlefield, however, still outnumbered you millions to one.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Oh it finished counting, nice

> Holy poo poo, that last IRC insult was creative. Good thing you guys are tough.

We really should get Athena a health checkup. Getting AIs warp infected wass what caused the downfall in the first place.
Whose idea was it to bring her there?
Well, whatever, we need a doctor! Hera? Arhena won't let her check for security procedures but we could legislate in council thst she has to forget afterwards.
But then it might knfect Hera too...
Gotta get the Emperor to purge any taint. Take her back to the throne for a nice bath in holy exotic matter radiation?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 7, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 452,564

“Hm… what do the grasers do?”
You checked the augmented notes Athena had left. “Gamma radiation weapon. ‘Destroys everything but the fillings in their teeth.’”
“Neat. Will it go through the Space Marine armor?”
“Mm… not on the low-to-medium settings.”
“Light ‘em up.”

Small stubby barrels popped out of your wrists, exotic energies spooling up. It hurt your eyes to look at them, even with your augmented sensors, and Fabiyan buried his head in your shoulder. Something about the sound made your teeth ache, and you grimaced as the dials slowly filled up to readiness. It was with relief that you clicked the release switch.

Across an arc kilometers across, flesh just … melted. Like meat in a pressure cooker, muscles and sinews fell off their bones, even as they were alive. Skin fell off in layers, like snakes discarding their coats, and the soft tissues boiled, exploded. You saw tens of thousands of people turn into flayed skeletons, and then boiling from the inside out, water turning to steam instantly. Eyes exploded, running down their faces, even as the bodies fell to their component parts.

The battlefield almost unwillingly stopped right there, as millions of combatants looked at what just happened in horror. You were certain your eyes were wide, and Fabiyan’s voice was low. “It’s like the Rak’gol, but so much worse.” He shook his head. “I’ve ordered organophosphates on a thousand worlds, but that … was horrific.”

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dark Age of Technology! When our ships rewound time to take another shot.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LowellDND posted:

Current: 452,564

“Hm… what do the grasers do?”
You checked the augmented notes Athena had left. “Gamma radiation weapon. ‘Destroys everything but the fillings in their teeth.’”
“Neat. Will it go through the Space Marine armor?”
“Mm… not on the low-to-medium settings.”
“Light ‘em up.”

Small stubby barrels popped out of your wrists, exotic energies spooling up. It hurt your eyes to look at them, even with your augmented sensors, and Fabiyan buried his head in your shoulder. Something about the sound made your teeth ache, and you grimaced as the dials slowly filled up to readiness. It was with relief that you clicked the release switch.

Across an arc kilometers across, flesh just … melted. Like meat in a pressure cooker, muscles and sinews fell off their bones, even as they were alive. Skin fell off in layers, like snakes discarding their coats, and the soft tissues boiled, exploded. You saw tens of thousands of people turn into flayed skeletons, and then boiling from the inside out, water turning to steam instantly. Eyes exploded, running down their faces, even as the bodies fell to their component parts.

The battlefield almost unwillingly stopped right there, as millions of combatants looked at what just happened in horror. You were certain your eyes were wide, and Fabiyan’s voice was low. “It’s like the Rak’gol, but so much worse.” He shook his head. “I’ve ordered organophosphates on a thousand worlds, but that … was horrific.”

Nervegassing a thousand worlds but grasers being beyond the line. lol (This is only because I was friends with a chemdog in RL) "At least they died before suffocating on their own fluids"

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Grognan posted:

Nervegassing a thousand worlds but grasers being beyond the line. lol (This is only because I was friends with a chemdog in RL)

Right? the concern about 'humane' weapons are silly :v:

edit: not to say he wont use them or whatever, just that its definitly a terror weapon :v:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Do we have loudspeakers?

"Wow! Let's see see what this button does!"

Just in case the enemy doesn't understand it's dealing with a child unwrapping her Christmas present.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

Do we have loudspeakers?

"Wow! Let's see see what this button does!"

Just in case the enemy doesn't understand it's dealing with a child unwrapping her Christmas present.

You do have sonic weapons :v:

standard pic:

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

:ohdear: we're even making Fabiyan nervous. maybe we should back off a smidge.

also I read enough of that pastebin to be really disappointed and pissed off. I'm gonna hand the computer to LiG now and go hug one of my cats.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

LowellDND posted:

You do have sonic weapons :v:

standard pic:

I can never decide if Fury Road is about Khornates or Slanneshi.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

wiegieman posted:

Gotta go with Slaaneshi

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Doomrider

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Grey Knights are boss.

I always had an issue with the whole "one space marine per planet", it just doesn't hold together as a major force in such a large Empire, when say a platoon (at least in the miniature game) or less of guardsmen can take down a standard marine.

So, are we getting a polygamous relationship with Fabiyan and Athena together later with Team Catgirl high up? (Though I feel I should let know MarsFed regained the lead, and they are now tied, but Marsfed made it to 22 first)

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Science fiction fails at scale: everyone gasps in shock.

Seriously though it's almost universal in how common such mistakes are.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RA Rx posted:

Grey Knights are boss.

I always had an issue with the whole "one space marine per planet", it just doesn't hold together as a major force in such a large Empire, when say a platoon (at least in the miniature game) or less of guardsmen can take down a standard marine.

Yeah, I get around it by having Space Marines be worth a planet or two. A handful of Space Marines can obliterate a few divisions of troops in my game world. I think I had it even odds whether you and all your forces on your ship could beat the Iron Hands, for example. Like... treat a squad of Space Marines as the X-Men and you are in the right ball park :v:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

X-COM

Yes, open loudspeakers. Squee with delight. Push sonic button.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

So this is the kind of thing you'd have in sports. Every match.

Congratulations, you now have me questioning MarsFed.

I mean sure, smoke 'em if you got 'em (ideally at a level that won't do bad things to our side), but this was okay for sports?!

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 7, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sir Unimaginative posted:

So this is the kind of thing you'd have in sports. Every match.

Congratulations, you now have me questioning MarsFed.

I mean sure, smoke 'em if you got 'em (ideally at a level that won't do bad things to our side), but this was okay for sports?!

Custom planets, custom bots, nothing human. Minds running the titans like puppets. No one gets hurt ^_^

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 452,807

It was difficult to get enemy units to stand in front of you at this point.

Whenever you showed up on the horizon, they simply routed, forming a mob that overran their brothers, grinding them into paste. Given the variable gravity and weird environmental effects, this sometimes resulted in odd results - regiments fleeing past each other only to arrive closer to you, for example. Overall, though, it meant you had to chase after them, as opposed to simply waiting for them to walk into your experiments.

The fact that you had turned on your loudspeakers probably hadn’t helped. Not everyone seemed interested in you and Fabiyan cooing to each other as you tried the new weapons and obliterated tens of thousands of targets. It was almost enough to hurt your feelings, even as you tried new combinations and sequences of the devices.

Your shoulder mounted weapons were called sound cannons, but they could have just as easily been called overpressure cannons, or psi weapons. An archaic term, older than Mars recorded. ‘Pounds per square inch.’ What an inch or a pound was was unclear, but 2-4 pounds would cause fatalities. 10 PSI would blast off limbs, shatter concrete.

The dial on your weapons went up to 100.

Even at the lowest settings, the targets just … died. The weapons didn’t have any visible effect, no blast, no damage to the target, just an embolism, liquefied organs, death. On the higher ratings… lungs were ripped out through their mouths like torn balloons, extremities separated at the joints. There were no shelters - ceracrete shattered just as easily as bones.

You wondered at the combination of sonic cannons and grasers, and felt you understood the Noise Marines a little better.

reminded me of this in a lot of ways http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-923

Loel fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 7, 2016

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Immortan Joe: Tzeentich
Bullet Farmer: Nurgle
Scales of Justice: Slaaneshi
Immortan Joe's son: Khorne

Maybe. Been a while since we seen it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sullat posted:

Immortan Joe: Tzneetch/Nurgle gives hope but is plauged by his tumors.
People Eater: Slannesh (nipple periceings, that guy is a freak)
Bullet Farmer: Khorne, doesn't give a gently caress
Rictus Erectus's son: Khorne, dumb as gently caress

Fixed

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

edit: I definitly would say Joe is Nurgle.

quote:

[edit]
The God of misunderstood sick fucks and all disease. Nurgle is primarily the god of stagnation, death and decay, signifying the end of things in the material realm. Nurgle can be considered the god of everything, as no matter how permanent anything may seem: they will all eventually whither and decay overtime. While death is inevitable, sapient creatures will also fight against it with all their might, even to the point where they'd bargain with Chaos to flip death the bird to its face (this is also a literal insult to Nurgle as refusal to accept one's death is an offense to him), and this is where Tzeentch (or Nagash) comes in. This struggle is where Nurgle and Tzeentch's/Death's rivalry largely comes into play.
Nurgle is also the god of other stoic emotions, such as: inevitability, empathy, kinship, happiness, struggle, love, tradition, mercy, and memory. Unlike Tzeentch who tells his followers to deny death to continue to achieve greater things; Nurgle tells his followers to accept the inevitability of their demise, and through that they can achieve solace and happiness.

Who gets Tzeentch? Well...

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 7, 2016

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I sincerely hope we aren't killing Grey Knights in the middle of this tsunami of pathogens and daemons. We'll have a lot of explaining to do if so.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

cat_herder posted:

I sincerely hope we aren't killing Grey Knights in the middle of this tsunami of pathogens and daemons. We'll have a lot of explaining to do if so.

Nah, they are fine.

Gravity weapons would gently caress them up though :D

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

cat_herder posted:

Flash our neat =I= badge at 'em. If that doesn't work remind them that we still have the DAoT titan that vaporized their bros.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What happens when you pin everything on hope.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Grognan posted:

What happens when you pin everything on hope.

Just as Planned :tzeentch:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 453,096

Here’s the thing about infections.

They don’t really care if they lose a few million cells to the antibodies.

Typhus was the beating malignant heart, the cancer of the rose, and from his viewpoint, things were going well. He was getting a taste of the local antibodies - one unbeatable Titan, one Chapter of Grey Knights, one ship worth it’s own fleet. Individually, sure, they could wreak havoc on his forces. Compare it to washing your hands. Cleans up one area, for a short time.

Infections come back stronger though, and smarter.

And, perhaps most importantly, they don’t get tired. Ohone, the Grey Knights, the Beast - all were performing at the peak of human capability. He fully expected them to crush every division he sent out for the next week, even several weeks. But without sleep, without breaks, without time for food?

They’d wear down.

He didn’t need to have better armor, or weapon systems, or any of the gimmicks they were so gleefully broadcasting on their loudspeakers. He had time. And in the end, that was all that really mattered. You could be as good a fighter as you could imagine… but as the fever takes you, and exhaustion wears you down…

He would be there.

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 7, 2016

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

The standard procedure for an infection like this is probably a sharp debridement until necrotic tissue is gone, then systemic antibiotics and intensive wound care. Popular right now in the medical field are wound vacs, where you tape a hose onto the site and turn on suction, and honey, which is naturally antimicrobial and works like loving magic.

Soooooooooooooo....

What do you think would happen if we ripped open the field and exposed Typhus directly to the warp?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Fight our way through and break Typhus down to his component atoms then flush him through one of Athena's wormholes into a black hole. (Can she join the fight now that the button has been pushed? She can take her time and chill out till we reach Typhus. Titans don't get tired and I'm fairly sure Ohone can swap half her augmented brain on and off like a Dolphin.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

We don't need to fight our way to Typhus, we need to get a teleporting Grey Knights hit squad in jump range.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

From the looks of it, we don't even need to necessarily fight. Everything's running from us. We just need to follow them. They're probably going to Typhus in hopes of a final stand, strength in numbers and all that happy bullshit.

So: we debride them off Typhus, then expose him to the warp or the vacuum of space (are we in space right now? I don't know where we are besides a festering meatsack).

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

cat_herder posted:

So: we debride them off Typhus, then expose him to the warp or the vacuum of space (are we in space right now? I don't know where we are besides a festering meatsack).

Its narratively inconsistent :v: Some warp oceans, some meatsacks, a beach/cliff, space/asteroids. All is malleable. :D

edit: as an aside, can we delete the pastebin/its quotes and whatever? I want to drop the button stuff until I think of how to handle it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Damnit, I ignore things for a bit of time and we all want to press buttons. Why you kill things I love goons, why?

That said, Lowell, drat interesting turn and I'm sad I couldn't vote for the Huron stuff, as I think he's cool and wished we'd try to do something (more) positive with our pirate buddy.

Finally, Typhus is a symptom of the Plague-Father's disease, which is love. We must fighting love.