Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Finally caught up.

What the gently caress guys.

:allears:

(Also, just waiting for Wednesday which is my next day off. Big things planned)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Loel posted:

:woop::woop:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I'm looking forward to our attempts to not ruin everything.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Loel posted:

I shan't believe it until I see a post, mister. :colbert:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

How to OhOne: Mainline french press espresso, have a shot of vodka every 15th minute to throw off your brain, embrace your inner Stalin, make sure your cats are made of glowing.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Let’s talk about theory.

Even when I was writing at my peak quantity, I still had occasions of writer’s block. Sometimes the scene wasn’t right, the opening wouldn’t start, what have you. There’s a lot of easy fixes I’ve used for that. It can be something interior to the story - change point of views, jump to a different location, time skip a bit, a sudden twist or reveal. A lot of the Slices of Life came from that.

And a lot of writer’s block, it’s something external. Changing pandora stations, getting a new cup of coffee, quick fixes. Or, if I need to brainstorm, it might be something unrelated. Walk for a mile or two, unclutter the house. Maybe toss ideas out in one of the chatrooms, see what drew people’s interest.

And when I was in college, that was as far as it went. Entering the workforce, though, that was a whole … thing :v: Suddenly I didn’t have predictable hours during the day when I could write - it was after work, when I was already tired. And car dealerships are … their whole other thing. Lot of hours, so I couldn’t even brainstorm.

Changed jobs, of course. Been at this new one for two months now. And suddenly I have free time again, and times during the workday when I can walk around, and I can brainstorm and give myself notes during the day. And I had thought that was the main thing I needed. But the words still weren’t coming. Had a nice couple days where Anna did her sudden event at the wedding, which was a lot of fun, and then the inspiration went away again.

The problem was that we had, for the most part, hit the end of my notes. The Reveal was that Anna is future us, and we’re locked into the Cycle. But we’re also Prometheus, the one who ends the Imperium and brings about the Technocracy. Or breaks the Cycle. We’ll see.

But the original outline, the one I wrote 3-4 years ago - we’re at the end, except for one other thing. And a one liner I left for myself doesnt give you an Arc.

So … what to do. The link post in the OP was a mess, who knows how far behind. The official timeline is the same state, and so is the character matrix. Everything is out of date - I don’t know who is around, or what they are doing, and I can’t look it up easily. So what I really needed to do was redo the link post, and go collect all the characters again.

But … well, here’s the other thing about writing. You hate your work. Particularly the early stuff. I was terrible at dialogue when I started, and while it works with Ohone’s autistic beep boop intro, it still feels really clumsy. And … there are a lot of plot twists I still think are shoddy. And I didn’t want to reread them.

The other part of writing, the part that gets you, is that it stares at you. Guilty stares of not writing, not telling the story, not telling the story the right way the way it is in your head. I’ve got this epic massive mythos in my head, this platonic ideal, but I read what I write, and I can’t do it justice. So it’s nasty feedback of hating what you write and hating when you don’t. And it gets worse the more you put it off. You end up putting a lot of pressure on yourself.

So, I told myself. “Its on hiatus. Its okay.”

And weirdly enough, it really helped. I deleted the old bookmarks that stared at me, and just put this google doc. “Fresh Start.” Blank page. I knew it was there, when I was ready. And then I did other things. Played some old steam games. Cleaned the house, the car, my bookmarks, my music list. Read some DMing guides. Didn’t try to force the story.

Like I said, the big problem was that I’d run out of outline. I know ‘Arc 7’ ‘Arc 8’ or whatever, but not the 5 page outline I had for Arc1 when I started. So. We’re going to go right to the beginning. I’ve got an alt tab where Im taking notes on every character, and the post they are in. Down the line, I want to turn that into the wiki.

And now I’m going to read the fic, from the beginning, and make highlights here while I work.

Today’s music Help Im Alive, by Metric

The first real post is still really enjoyable. I really like how it gets the idea of this overwhelmingly huge starship, high tech and kilometers long … but also stupidly old and decrepit. Gold letters emblazoned a hundred meters high, but … misspelled.

One thing that the early Beast has that we’ve lost is the ancient history and traditions. Everything’s been blown up or replaced multiple times, and now it’s been regrown in this shiny elf magic. All the people expats from Terra, and it pushes away from a lot of the central theme of story. Vast expanses, numberless hordes, and age. We want a sense of confusion, claustrophobia, and anxiousness, and we just turned the ship into a fae court.

This will come up later.

-

Reading the Family meeting, I really enjoy how it quickly establishes how ruthless/pragmatic the universe is. “As it turned out, he wasn’t compliant and manipulable - he simply preferred a consensus based approach to leadership - some softness of ideology he had picked up somewhere in his youth. That didn’t mean he couldn’t bring the Emperor’s Justice down on the mutineers though.” Democracy is weird and foolish, and thats been a core tenet of the story ever since.

Oh hey, turns out Diogines was the one who named us Ohone. Good call there.

One thing I’m really noticing is how these early posts are pages long. A lot of my more recent effort is 1000 words - I think it’s because in the early days I was establishing every detail, and now I assume the reader has the broad strokes down. I think I should Get back to longer posts.

I really like how goddamn vibrant everything is. Multiple cultures, ancient histories, rituals and ceremonies wherever you turn. Early Beast is alive in a lot of ways it isn’t now.

[static] was such a good gimmick. Abraxus and mother both have such style to them. We need to see more Gorgon.

Tran posted:

I agree we should be circumspect. Lord sire would only think we're a clumsy idiot if we start screaming about the obvious. However, calling our hilariously reckless enginseer a scalpel is just a -tad- off the mark. We've been in three confrontations in as many days, all of which involved explosions.

Lawl.

So, I stopped reading to go to work, and mulled this next bit over. This whole bit with the Damork, and Amacita, and then Abraxus, I feel like it’s trying too hard to be clever. I can see why I did it that way, red herrings and mystery novels, but evil cross-fit cult doesn’t click for the style we develop later.

But Arc 2, Arc 2 is the bread and butter of the fic. It’s where we meet a lot of the most important/favorite characters. Fabiyan, Lokithena, Sincera, the Kriegers. The combat scenes are raw and vivid, and everything is terrifying. There’s a couple strong takeaways from this - Dont overcomplicate the story with red herrings, and Keep combat in-your-face.

What do I mean by this? As we got powered up, we started becoming a general of armies, which makes sense for our political rank, and we also had a lot less to fear. One, we keep coming back from the dead, and two, we’ve lost most of what we were attached to. So, a lot of the tension is removed from the scenes.

What this means is that future combat is going to need to be narrowed down in a couple ways. We’ve already got the Minds and Empress in a cold war, and we’ve started seeing resurrected characters (Sincera et al), which means we have something to lose. Parallel to that, Ohone is going to be need to put into situations where a) millions of troops don’t matter, and b) she is personally at risk.

How that plays into the new sector we are visiting, and the mysteries that have been building there? Well, you’ll see.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Let’s talk about theory II

So, let’s see who would have been taken aboard the newly reincarnated Beast.

We rebuilt the ship from the frame up on Luna, and that woke Hera. Then we went into battle against Typhus, and he filled the ship with acheronic changes. Then we regrew the wreck with elven magic. More technically, Bricellus (our psychotic cultist of Ohone) cloned a bunch of elf brains, glued em together, and Limosa used them as a battery to build some new hallways.

So we’ve got two - well, three - conflicting designs going into it. The central spine, Hera, isn’t going to surrender her identity, period. So we can say that aspects of the Alpha Deck and the Heart are still there. There were a ton of stacked guns, missiles and railguns that either survived the battle or we looted from Typhus, and they are idiosyncratic at best. Beyond that, we have some flexibility.

Limosa knows we need large cargo-bays and residential areas, so those are curled around reinforcing spars in giant cells. The guns are pushed to the exterior of the ship, the engines and core systems reinforced and layered in elven chitin. Hera has set up vast hydroponics, and expanded the personal zoo. There are large factories operated by the Church, and extensive private labs. But the little details, the way those big chambers reach other … well. They are grown by a thousand disembodied elf brains, cloned by a mad cultist.

So the central theme here is disorientation. Not that it isn’t mapped, but that it can’t be mapped. The corridors have a mind of their own, and that mind is in Bricellus’ labs. The Abrogates vanished during the battle, so the Church is the main group that is left organized. Immediately start carving out niches and sidepaths and tunnels behind the coral. I picture the material as ultra-slow moving liquid. You don’t notice it day to day, but after a month doors are shifting, rooms getting lost.

And the people who arrive after the battle, well. They could have been involved in the battle itself, which means they happened to be in that location when it occurred. Which means a lot of them are going to be pilgrims on generation-ships. Super fanatics, bewildered, in a crisis of faith. Terra is gone, Empress is gone, and the Church run by Bricellus is the welcoming arms.

A large number of other expats will be ones rescued by the elves. During and after the battle, the elves scooped up millions of people, and dumped as many as they could aboard the Beast. But … elves can see the future, and have different values of what is important. So, a lot of artists, a lot of creative types … or perhaps, people who are Important. Or their great grandkids are.

The big thing we won’t see is a lot of Navy military types. They all left for Golgotha, so any orbital capable ships will be the rich or the ruthless. It’ll be a grab bag of useless fops and gangers from the depths of Terra. The Church will try to process them too, but it’s an overwhelming task, and that isn’t the core demographics.

So, we’ve got three big new groups. Creative, wealthy, and violent, in a completely new and unexplored location. What kind of culture are we going to be seeing grow, in the long months of leaving Terra and heading for the rim? And what influence will nearby Titan place on it?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Lets talk about theory III

We’ve got our destabilized groups - pilgrims, creative, violent, wealthy. And we’ve got our stabilizer - the Church. But that’s not going to be the only one. We have the Family, of course, but a few hundred bluebloods won’t have a big cultural influence on things, at least not immediately.

Fabiyan, Kozilek, and Elenora/Blackfinger are all major players in how things cook. If I were to do a second run through, I would have a lot of exposition on how they managed to keep things at the right boil, but let’s get some takeaways. We do know that Hera has the food situation under control. We aren’t going to be at a famine level at any period of the Sol trip, so we can work from there. What would people value, and how would they go about getting it?

The violent and the wealthy are the ones to consider first, primarily because they have the means to get it. More precisely, the violent have access to a ton of weapons post-war-zone. I expect the weeks after the battle were wracked by violent spasms as personalities rose against each other.

Blackfinger’s crew would be organized, and have a large deployable force of marines. But large (thousands) don’t mean much when outnumbered by several hundred times. So their main strength is a pre-existing coordination, but they would only be the calming edge of the chaos. Inside, what’s going on?

Well, a lot of shooting. I suspect, in absence of other valuables, a lot of it was over human terrain. Slaves, or more cannon fodder, or whatever. And everything is in flux, so the names don’t really matter. If they push against the Church or Blackfinger’s excursions they’d get diced, so they avoid it.

Let’s look at it that way, then. The stable areas are Church, Alpha Deck, and food distribution. The church is becoming a massive thing, the beating heart where tens of thousands of pilgrims are finding their new meaning. Food distribution is Hera’s, and it’s a peace zone where nothing else is. Act up, die. In the early days gangers would rush in by the hundreds, and they died without any sign of injury.

The wealthy, of course, head for those zones, particularly Alpha Deck, and Elenora is quick to adopt them. The nobles come with their own shuttles, their own retinues, ancient items and bits of treasure. They could easily be their own powerbase - she subverts them, brings them in. Not married to the Family, not conditioned like they could in the old days, but kept at Court. They are an irritant, and Elenora spends most of her time shielding Ohone from them. Or them from Ohone.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Guardians of Asgard by Amon Amarth

Destiny Carved in Stone

As long as the Charon Screens didn’t fail, transit through Acheron wasn’t that noticeable.

Indeed, entire generations could and have lived within the depths of a big cruiser and never really know they were in space. A hive where you never see the sun and a ship where you never see the sun weren’t that different, when you got right down to it, and most of your time would be spent watching recyclers and surrounded by people in cramped spaces.

The typical person, then, would never know that a transit was occuring. Some of the more paranoid officers in what used to be the Navy preferred not to tell them it was even possible - have them perform the functions of their caste without explanation or reason. The warship leaps the light-years, but for you, you are just making sure the warning light keeps beeping. What it’s warning about, who knows.

The tense people, well. Those are the ones who knew what was going on. In the engine room, Technomancers conversed continuously with the machines, making sure there were no changes. In the defense batteries, the Charon screens were watched with a focused dedication of the truly disturbed. And on the bridges of all the ships in the fleet, professional sailors ... blinked.

Blackfinger frowned. “Did we not transit?”
Elenora shook her head. “We did.”
He pursed his lips. “My love, we are clearly not in Acheron. We are still surrounded by the inky-black.”
“Oh. Yes, we definitely are not in Acheron.” She considered the digital map. “Jump is successful, looks like. At the first stop.”
“Just like that.”
“Mm.”

Blackfinger looked about the deck. “Hear that? Now I can fire half of you, if jumps are going to be that easy.”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Senses Tied by Dark Tranquility

Outskirts of Sincerity and Pride

“We are observing multiple ships in orbit, Ma’am.” The sensor officer’s eyes didn’t leave the screen.
“Of course we are.” Elenora’s voice was serene, if pleased. “I do good work.”
“You certainly do.” Blackfinger looked at them warily. “Engines are warming up, looks like they saw us coming in.”

Around him, the deck didn’t need to be encouraged. Flight plans were mapped, anti-missile defenses readied. Beneath them, thousands of crew readied for another battle with the easy competence of the true professional. Even before the upgrades, the Eminent Domain was a nasty knife-fighter - after, well. The enemy ships wouldn’t last long.

If they decided they were enemies in the first place.

“Receiving comms. They are using friendly designations a couple months old.”
Elenora nudged him. “See? Those are mine.”
“They still could change their mind.” Blackfinger considered their orientation. “Although … they could only aim about ten percent of their batteries at us. So either they are friendly or incompetent.” He snorted. “Or both. Empress, wouldn’t that be embarrassing. ‘Yes Ohone, we found you a navy, but they are about as good at flying as a barrel of monkeys.’”

Elenora blinked quizzically. “When have you seen a flying barrel of monkeys?”
“Explosives were involved. It was a whole thing.” He tapped the comm. “Lord-Sire, the local navy requests permission to join the fleet. Do you want to meet and greet, or have me take care of it?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Aw hell, we better see what kind of dumbasses the seneschal and her pet pirate intend to saddle us with.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
We are clearly, clearly in need of organization. The foundation is here, still settling but it looks like we're gonna be a Migrant Swarm Fleet.

Process 75% them into the fleet carefully. We can't take all of them, as I assume this planet needs some defense. Use some HeraTek drones to scan the local navy ships as they are brought into the fleet for anything amiss. Bring the Ship Captians aboard for a meet and greet. Be ready to execute anyone showing anything amiss. Scan them too as they come aboard.

If everything is above board process the ships so they are up to Ohone Tech Code.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Let’s talk about theory.

:wave:

Wonderful to see you back, motivated, dedicated, and reinvigorated to tell that Epic swirling around in that there head of yours. :ocelot: :)

Loel posted:

Changed jobs, of course. Been at this new one for two months now.

Hope that’s going well, by the by.

Loel posted:

Had a nice couple days where Anna did her sudden event at the wedding, which was a lot of fun, and then the inspiration went away again.

That actually was a lot of fun, yeah.

Loel posted:

But the original outline, the one I wrote 3-4 years ago - we’re at the end, except for one other thing. And a one liner I left for myself doesnt give you an Arc.

How does that song go again? And ending is just another beginning? :)

Loel posted:

You hate your work. Particularly the early stuff.

We don’t hate your work, not even the early stuff. :colbert:

Loel posted:

So, I told myself. “Its on hiatus. Its okay.”

Absolutely okay. After this many pages, you’ve earned it.

Loel posted:

I think I should Get back to longer posts.

That would be lovely.

Loel posted:

I really like how goddamn vibrant everything is. Multiple cultures, ancient histories, rituals and ceremonies wherever you turn. Early Beast is alive in a lot of ways it isn’t now.

Yeah, we did lose that ‘grit’ when we got promoted to the strategic layer. One of my favorite posts of yours, and I think it was a SOL too, was about this floor of the ship which was in essence a feral prison, and the folks in there literally ate each other alive when the door was opened and some fresh ‘meat’ was tossed in from time to time.

Loel posted:

We need to see more Gorgon.

Sure. Although honestly, my favorite ‘horror’ stories of yours were that psychotic little girl with knives and ‘family movie night’.

Loel posted:

Dont overcomplicate the story with red herrings, and Keep combat in-your-face.

Please. I’m the first to admit that I’m rather lost on the minds and the Empress. Who is what and in whom did we trust again and for why??

Loel posted:

Well, you’ll see.

Can’t wait.

Loel posted:

So, we’ve got three big new groups. Creative, wealthy, and violent, in a completely new and unexplored location. What kind of culture are we going to be seeing grow, in the long months of leaving Terra and heading for the rim? And what influence will nearby Titan place on it?

This has a lot of potential, and I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

If I were ‘in charge’, I’d mix them in together and stir, because these three traits can combine into something truly awesome, inspiring, and powerful; this is to be their new beginning together, their genesis, their Chapter I, Verse I, with this fleet their Garden of Eden.

Loel posted:

Let’s look at it that way, then. The stable areas are Church, Alpha Deck, and food distribution. The church is becoming a massive thing, the beating heart where tens of thousands of pilgrims are finding their new meaning. Food distribution is Hera’s, and it’s a peace zone where nothing else is. Act up, die.

So, you’re bringing us back to the original Beast setting?

Loel posted:

The nobles come with their own shuttles, their own retinues, ancient items and bits of treasure.

I might know a good shuttle pilot for hire, very reasonable rates, if you can get past her 'baggage'? :ocelot: :)

Loel posted:

Lord-Sire, the local navy requests permission to join the fleet. Do you want to meet and greet, or have me take care of it?

Yes, let’s meet and greet, and bring the entourage. Time for a good old fashioned military parade, have them see Saint Fabs in all his burning demon wings glory. We may or may not bring the mechadentrite puppets.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Lets talk about theory IV

CourValant posted:

So, you’re bringing us back to the original Beast setting?

[..] I’m the first to admit that I’m rather lost on the minds and the Empress. Who is what and in whom did we trust again and for why??

Right! So :D The big thing for me right now is digging through everything, and finding the central themes that stand out in the story. The Beast has a couple, like claustrophobia, decay, age - but after the most recent fight, we rebuilt it from the ground up, in the elven style. How can we maintain the themes with the new paint?

Well, even in a new frame, the same style of people are there. We’ve got packs of refugees, the obscenely wealthy, and the fanatical. They’ll immediately start trying to rebuild the world they know. So in broadstrokes, I’m seeing who all would be there. Lot of Terrans, lot of religious cults. So, we’re having the same tune, but different verse.

The galaxy, of course, has similar themes. A million worlds, a decaying bureaucracy - now even worse-off. Billions of transit ships lost to the Warp, tens of thousands of worlds starving. So, even though our little section (wherever we happen to be) is improving with tech, the majority is more worse off then they’ve ever been. So, we’re going to see a lot of apocalypse worlds.

To zoom back in for a moment, let’s talk about what Fabiyan is doing. He’s the Eidolon of Devotion, and he sees a million new people aboard the ship. He’s going to do what he thinks is best for you, and what naturally comes to him. Build an army. Except, he can’t be everywhere at once - he’s a good general, and we have the Church factories mass producing. But he doesn’t have NCOs and officers.

He wants the Krieg. And, to be honest, so do we :D

So, hes building a field army for us. Basic combat training, but we only have the ship to train on. So, it’ll be a mix of Hive tactics/zero-g/Marine style. And, more importantly, the people he’s drawing on don’t have the from-childhood-trauma of the Krieg. They’ve had a couple rough events (refugees from Terra), but not the same duration. So their emotional deadness is less.

And he still needs those NCOs.

He can use some of Blackfinger’s troops as NCOs, but again - we’re looking at zero-g / pirate tactics. Casualty averse, very close in. Somewhere I’ve got a doc of the weapon systems we’re using, but it’s a lot of short range stuff. Shotguns and SMGs. Except when it’s ship v ship, and then its nukes and railguns.

And, of course, SLUDGE. Releasing that in unprepared ships, with vents that distribute air everywhere - well.

So he’s going to be grabbing a lot of the Terran gangs. Violent people, ones who’ve been around a bit. They won’t be like the old Krieg we used in Arc 4, or the Grey Guards in Arc 1. They are much more Blackheart/Blackfinger/Di Musio.

And that’s the other thing. They are going to be a lot more open to heterodox ways of winning. The ship is a ruined warzone of xenotech and heretek, and on Terra there are weapons thousands of years old. So the organizational chart - just getting everyone to use the same ammo - is going to be a bear. Even if you said ‘hey, free guns and ammo’, a lot of new troops will say ‘nah I like mine.’

So that’s how we’re bringing back the old from the early arcs. We were building an ad-hoc mess, and even with factories, we don’t have boot-camps or volunteers for them. It’s a lot of militia work and uncoordinated civilians with military gear.

-

So, I want to talk about what Kozilek is doing, and for that I want to hit the full timeline as we know it. All the conspiracies, everything together.

Way, way wayyyy back at the dawn of time, Loki woke up. The first intelligence in the galaxy, silicon not carbon. What her personality was like in the early days, we don’t know. Sometime after that, carbon life started waking up too. Since we haven’t done much with orks, I’m ignoring them for now. But, lots of minor races, ones that didn’t last to the histories of now.

And, of course, humans. At some event way in the past, for an unknown reason, they split into two species, humans and elves. Elves were much more skilled with art, discovery, seeing the future. They were better at psyker poo poo too, for whatever reason. So they both spread across the galaxy.

From about 15,000AD to 25,000 AD, they were fuckin awesome. Created the Mars Federation, created the Minds. Hera thought she was the first, but it turns out that at some point Loki was captured by Mars Fed, vivisected, her brain picked for secrets. Hera and Athena were made, so were dozens of others. First generation were artists and builders, for the most part.

Second generation Minds - Odin and the like - were more militant, although whether Loki caused it or took advantage of it, we don’t know. Either way, Odin started preparing for Ragnarok, and Ares went in all guns blazing.

(The Techlord of Mars claims to have gone back in time to prevent it, although not much detail was given).

Either way, Mars Fed had an earth shattering kaboom, as Men of Iron (rogue AIs and what 40k calls Necrons) spread in an omnicidal swarm. This was made worse by the fact that Athena, sneakiest of all of them, had gone missing. And was largely viewed as a traitor by Hera and Marsfed.

It was later revealed that Loki had captured Athena on Golgotha, stolen most of her files and personality, and was wearing her face to encourage dissent among the minds. This is the Lokithena we let out on Golgotha, and Loki’s primary objective has always been to never be captured again. The Empress, among others, think that Loki wants to kill evverrryonnnne.

Speculation might suggest that killing everyone would also kill Acheron, and a motive for that is that Acheron was used to bind Loki way back when.

Now, Athena was sneakiest of the AIs. Loki wasn’t even known to exist, but Athena made several back up plans. First: she distributed copies of her tactics, strategies, and technologies across the galaxy for later use. Assembling even a couple of them in one spot would make a ‘pocket-Athena’ who would become aggressive enough to gather the others and make a come back.

We collected a number of these and gave them to Loki.

Second, Athena made an ultra-secret bunker, using the sacrifice of a Mind (Hades) to be outside of time. Her eternal redoubt to make a comeback. All of the most dangerous knowledge, she kept there, and she was also unbound from MarsFed strictures. She’s not banned from time travel, for example.

And third, Athena thought Hera was the traitor, so she made a figment to keep an eye on her. When Hera was broken in the war (in the shape of the Beast), a young Ching Shih was placed there for command. If need be, she would find Hera’s heart, and kill her. This was 25,000 AD or so.

Hera, of course, was also sneaky. When her form was broken, she made a figment to protect her - someone to fit in perfectly while she slept, to research, and to rebuild her. This figment, in fitting into the new regime, became what we know as Ferrus Manus, the founder of the Iron Hands Chapter. Which leads into why we had Space Marines on our ship. Later on, Hera was very disappointed to find that her figment became … a brutal and conventional warrior/smith.

So. Loki wins. Mars Federation defeated, now to just pick up the pieces.

Except … the twist. Empress arises out of the dawn of history, and gives Loki a beating the likes she’s never had. Binds her again, on Mars, buries her hundreds of miles beneath the earth, and goes about rebuilding the galaxy. Slowly, at first, but with increasing ability. By 29000 AD or so, she goes public, unites Mars with Terra, begins the Imperium. Nearly all the old tech from Marsfed was destroyed, and most everyone simply knew it led to killer death robots. So the galaxy, as a whole, became ritualized luddites.

Being the first big galactic presence, they had uncounted trillions of minds generating background psyker energy. And in Acheron, things started waking up too, reflecting those impulses back at the mundane. Psykers got more powerful, impulses got more extreme. At some point, the elves got a little too into the party, and created Slaanesh/Lilith. Destroyed their whole civilization. We can put that at around 30000 AD.

Elves and humans are still friends up to this point, remember.

So. Empress begins building Eidolons. Whether she came to the idea independently, or drew on Hera’s example, we don’t know. Janus her spymaster, Centurion her warrior, Imperator her right hand, and … whoever the gently caress Guilliman is. Whatever, Ill look it up later.

Humanity is conquering the galaxy, working with some xenos, obliterating others. In the early days, they weren’t as xenophobic as what Ohone grew up with - that really only happened after Empress fell. So, Acheron is spreading their itch, and Imperator goes crazy. Causes another civil war, trillions dead, etc etc.

Ching Shih is placed aboard a secret ship, and the Beast is lost for thousands of years.

In the official mythos, Empress was crippled, Imperator died. We know this not to be the case. Empress died or went missing, Imperator took her place on the Throne. And things continued to fall apart. Acheron was more aggressive than ever, as the damaged people of the galaxy reflected back into themselves, making themselves worse, over and over again.

So, that’s all for now. Here in a bit I’ll talk about Guilliman, Imperator, Kozilek, and the Illuminati.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Lets talk about theory V

So, Consul. The one big Eidolon who didn’t participate in the civil war, and the one with the best surviving regime. (And, for that matter, the province we’re checking out shortly, with the mysterious baby Astronomicon, and possible resting place of the real Empress).

Way back in Consul’s origin story, he was ‘out of the city’ on a ‘hunting trip’, and his father was coup’d by several rivals. Dad dead, he kills the rivals, takes over the planet. No muss no fuss. In the galactic civil war, Consul was ‘too far away to help’, but when he makes it back, all the rivals and Empress are dead or out of the picture.

Our mom claimed that this was intentional, and that this was all set up by Consul in the first place. Who benefits, after all. We exiled her and told her to find proof, and we really only got confirmation from Kozilek on Titan.

When the Empress was building her council, she selected a number of elite humans who weren’t the Eidolon super-soldiers to run things now that the war was over. One was Kozilek, who was a tremendous psyker at the time. (He burned it to build Titan’s unique defense systems). And Kozilek is a sneaky paranoid old man.

When the Imperium was building, Acheron was known to be dangerous, even among the minor races. They had a long history of fighting Acheron, and called their organization Cabal. (Ten years from now when I get to the prequels, Cabal evolved from Mass Effect spectres). So Kozilek worked closely with them, and built a copy-cat organization of his own. One that became the Inquisition.

Seperate from all of this, Empress, Janus, and Kozilek built a double-secret organization called Illuminati. Consul was getting itchy even back then, but they didn’t want to try pushing him out without some really solid proof. And then he got the jump on them, and the civil war happened. But the Illuminati remained, and Janus/Kozilek kept their hand in. One reason our mom was such a useful spymaster was because her network came pre-emplaced.

When Loki-as-Athena was interrogating mom, mom stated she worked for Lucifer, the Lightbringer. I sometimes feel that trying to do Lucifer/Illuminati/Prometheus into one big meta-mythos is too clever by half, but we’ll see if we can pull it off :v:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

He wants the Krieg. And, to be honest, so do we :D

I have to admit, while I didn’t really like the Krieg in the beginning, they have grown on me. I miss them gas masks.

Loel posted:

Way, way wayyyy back at the dawn of time, Loki woke up.

Thanks for the explanation. I finally feel like I have a handle in this.

Loel posted:

We collected a number of these and gave them to Loki.

Hmmmm. In hindsight, it might not have been a bad idea that there was some confusion on the personality dynamics, histories, and factions at play. Making decisions based on perfect information would likely lead to a boring story; I would have voted to never, ever mess with those shards in hindsight.

Loel posted:

So Kozilek worked closely with them, and built a copy-cat organization of his own. One that became the Inquisition . . . Empress, Janus, and Kozilek built a double-secret organization called Illuminati . . . mom stated she worked for Lucifer, the Lightbringer. I sometimes feel that trying to do Lucifer/Illuminati/Prometheus into one big meta-mythos is too clever by half, but we’ll see if we can pull it off :v:

Starting to get confused again, and if that’s by design, I can dig it; again, makes for a more interesting story if we’re voting with imperfect information. :ocelot: :)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CourValant posted:

Starting to get confused again, and if that’s by design, I can dig it; again, makes for a more interesting story if we’re voting with imperfect information. :ocelot: :)

We've only had a couple posts with them, mostly Arc 4 with mom. I do a lot of foreshadowing for later :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Lets talk about theory VI

So, Imperator. Possibly used as a catspaw by Consul, but still nearly made it. Killed Empress (mostly dead) and used the last of his powers to appear as Empress when the recovery teams arrived. Centurion put him in the Golden Throne, built by … somebody. Whatever, Hera repaired it later (through us).

So, what was Imperator’s plan?

Daemons get bigger by eating souls. Simple enough. So Imperator had a seat on a big conveyor belt, and ate thousands of souls a day for thousands of years. Used his powers to guide ships through Acheron (and, if you are a paranoid soul, cause ship failures or delays). The Techlord of Mars told us the Throne was failing, and we used Hera’s fixit bot to fix it.

So, we have two plots crashing into each other.

The second, of course, is Loki. We found the BOX OF ALL KNOWLEDGE on Golgotha, and Loki told us that Keira had sent that information to the forces of evil. So, of course, we sent the Message, and ordered all ships in the galaxy to Golgotha to seize the BOX. And every other ship in the galaxy went too.

Except Consul. Another time he didn’t send in fleets, and is now the pre-eminent military.

Because of course, the BOX was empty. Loki used it to kill uncounted trillions of the best troops in the galaxy, on all sides, and got the bonus objective of killing a god of Acheron. Mission accomplished. Her strategy is always ‘you and he fight’ and it has worked well for millenia.

Except Imperator took advantage of the moment. Apollyon's fall was his rise, and Imperator became a new god of obedience. The millions of souls, and trillions of prayers, had bent and twisted him into a god of iron rule. In his rise, he collected the Abrogates to him, and much of the Church sectors.

(Gorgon is attempting a similar method, although is more directly involved.)

So, let’s scroll back a bit. Loki-as-Athena was released by us on Golgotha, while Loki-core was buried on Mars. (Speculatively, the Dragon we found. We put the body on the front of our ship.) So what was Loki doing as she woke up? She was collecting Athena-shards, certainly, and getting eyes on people around the galaxy. In some of the Slice of Lifes, we see Athena/Loki characters encouraging factions to go to war with each other.

And the tricky bit of identity is that Loki keeps eating Athena shards, and taking on traits. Meanwhile, the Athena in the Hades universe is cold and humorless - her humorous aspects are scattered across the galaxy. So while Empress may have been right that Loki wasomnicidal, maybe she’s not anymore. And maybe that’s another layer of Athena’s defenses. Even if you try to take her lore, you become her.

The big decision points in Loki’s actions have been finding the Empress on the Throne was fake, and finding she was still alive. In the first, she became much more aggressive in her actions. In the second, she unilaterally declared a truce with Hera. Empress is the only one who has consistently kicked her rear end, and Loki doesn’t want to risk an all-out fight without some serious advantage.

So, most of the named characters on our team know Athena/Loki and Hera are Minds. We (by which I mean Ohone, Anna, and the other timelines) are the only ones who know Athena-core still exists. And Athena is betting that that one surprise card, at the most critical moment, can kill Loki for real.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Lets talk about theory VII

And all of that is background lore for the actual Prometheus Cycle. Lokithena named us Prometheus, the one who brings light (and the other technomancer Icarus, flying too close to the sun). We found Fabiyan, and rebuilt him as the Eidolon of devotion to us. And he brought us back to life. Everything is happy.

Except … it isn’t. We made him promise to kill us if we ever go bad. And according to Anna, we at some point go bad. In her description, he dies, we go full Acheron to go back in time and create the circumstances where we both live. She is one version of this.

In her explanation, Anna notes that she tried multiple iterations, and those are other Ohones we’ve seen. An Elf Ohone, dedicated to fighting Gorgon. A luddite-Ohone, to fight Lokithena. And, the most common attempt, Anna herself - the prodigious combat sorceress, relying on lore she’s collected from multiple tries.

Each time she fails, each time she tries again. And the different versions try to influence the younger one. We met feral-Ohone in the elfways, and Anna has been guiding us towards increased Acheron magic for as long as we’ve met here.

Speculation is that she made a deal with one of the Chaos gods, probably Astaroth god of deception and plans. The black hole entity said it was the one we made the deal with, although we didn’t remember it, and it agreed to restart the map with us. Anna thinks we might be the last iteration, the last attempt, because things are breaking down, things that haven’t happened before.

Now, the fun thing to think about. We made the deal, we’ve been guided by alt-versions of ourselves, and have conversations with the most dominant (Anna.) Fabiyan makes the deal too, at some point, to prevent Anna-us from happening. So … is he being guided as well? And if so, by whom?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Fabiyan makes the deal too, at some point, to prevent Anna-us from happening. So … is he being guided as well? And if so, by whom?

Yes, Fabiyan is being guided as well, by the Anna-ized version of Fabs.

Then boney flaming demon wings came from somewhere; it would also make sense to me that Fabiyan, when he falls, does so harder and farther than we ever did (as Anna).

He is a Saint and an Eidolon after all; falling stars should make for a great big impact crater.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Loel posted:

Lets talk about theory VII

Now, the fun thing to think about. We made the deal, we’ve been guided by alt-versions of ourselves, and have conversations with the most dominant (Anna.) Fabiyan makes the deal too, at some point, to prevent Anna-us from happening. So … is he being guided as well? And if so, by whom?

KOZILEK

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
What if no one is guiding anything any more? As the loops iterate, each time things break down a little bit. After trillions of loops big things begin to drop off that should be there. It's quite possible that whoever was driving on the Fabs side is gone and, per normal loop script, should have gone back already to kickstart the loop. This far down the line the loop has become a standalone complex which wont remain stable.

What still isnt clear is where this is going. We have layers and layers of conflict between layers of gods. I think that it all boils down do the big question of "why are we here". Something made Loki, something created the universe, something has some existince outside of everything and I think that is what the Empress was driving at.

The past millenia have all been one big escape attempt from whatever is the source of things. The universe grows, evolves and then is consumed by something from beyond. If I really had my druthers I would suspect that The Empress is some version of Ohone that has been trying to create a mortal vessel to occupy in replacement of its past one and that once we are at our apex we will hit some chim thing and become the empress and fight off the thing that is coming, likely the thing the Nids are running from.

This is all tinfoil but right now we have to hit what's ahead of us.

-Building our army to handle OneOh
-Killing off the gods of Acheron and Gorgon etc.
-Handling the fight at the Mind Level
-Meeting and handling the Empress

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hellllll yea Loel's back

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Holy gently caress. I've been travelling for the past couple months and only able to check the forums on weekends. And I swear that somehow I felt that this was gonna be the week. Welcome back! Glad stuff's going well with the new job, too. Bad jobs are absolutely soul-crushing.

Since you're talking about planning: one thing I really loved reading through it the first time was how chaotic it all felt. The whole universe was organic, with tons of stuff totally outside of our control or knowledge that could throw us curveballs at any time. But we could catch them and throw them right back and totally screw up your plans. Nuking our entire retinue was amazing. Somehow I got the impression that when we decided to wake the Olympus up it made you totally throw out your plans and for a while there it absolutely felt like the whole universe was out of control, like you were discovering this universe right along with us (us being this collective thread, since I wasn't reading at that point.)

Then re-reading some of the original stuff after you dropped the Anna reveal on us I realized just how heavily scripted this all has been. The first chapter ends with a direct prediction about Gorgon that I'd totally forgotten about, I misremembered and the thread didn't take the Olympus option that would've killed your plans, and you've been sprinkling the Anna hints since literally the very beginning. It's even more astounding to me that you managed to keep everything moving along your original plan while still keeping all of that vibrant, organic insanity alive while some people try to kill and destroy everything (ARK.)

I dunno. That stuff was great to read through, and it certainly seemed like the thread enjoyed the hell out of it. In contrast... just recently, we pulled this zany stupid gambit and enslaved Anna's soul which was awesome and rad as hell. But what it led to, Anna's reveal, while also great, felt like it was going to happen anyway. There wasn't the same feeling of going off the rails that I got reading through earlier (though again: I only recently started following live, so take this with a grain of salt.)

But you know what? I've got faith you'll pull it off. It takes a certain special to make something seem organic while still sticking to the plan, and you managed that in spades before, you can do it again. And if that's not the direction you want to go, whatever you do will definitely be better, I'm hardly in a place to give you advice. Sorry about the unprompted essay, I just finished a 12 hour day and when I get tired I can't turn myself off.

tl;dr: godspeed, you magnificent bastard. Godspeed.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Thank you :D Reviews give me life, and long reviews are the best.

My next day off is Wednesday (I do 6 on 2 off at the moment, although the hours on each day are a lot less), and I just had the most surreal nightmare. I'm going to put as much as I can in the next arc, last good nightmare had the I Love You virus :D

Doing brainstorming now, hoping for a weekly megapost. Seems to work well with my schedule.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
That explains so much. The I love you hazard always felt distinctly from someplace else. Like it a good way. Otherworldly if that wasn't a trite descriptor these days.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sometimes Im inspired and sometimes Im inspired, if you take my meaning. :v:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

I'm going to put as much as I can in the next arc, last good nightmare had the I Love You virus :D

:eyepop:

So, how many ranks do you have in Mythos now?

:cthulhu:

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
Long time reader first time poster. Love the thread.

So here's the thing, right now Ohone and company
Live on an ultra beautiful if constantly chaotic
And shifting luxury vehicle with
All the pleasures and glorious fruit of a forgotten age.
Needless to say this could attract a certain type of
Excess and indulgence within the upper ranks of the
Ship. That could grab the attention of some other entity one that has some
History with using devotion, especially devoted love, as a corrupting influence.

Sure the thread turned down Tzeentch a time or two, but maybe some of the more wholesome (PG-13) aspects of excess are important to enjoy as the galaxy burns around us. There are probably six or so things that Ohone could really get on board with like riches/greed, sustenance, delights, adoration, achievement, and repose from all the struggle we've had. Let's take it easy and enjoy what we have.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Welcome :D

And an Alpha Deck full of debauched Terran Aristocrats? What could that even do? :D

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Loel posted:

Welcome :D

And an Alpha Deck full of debauched Terran Aristocrats? What could that even do? :D

Make a really big mess when you flush them out the airlock.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker

Arkanomen posted:

Make a really big mess when you flush them out the airlock.

I apologize for nothing! The experience of being sucked out an airlock might be the ultimate high.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Lines and the forming of them

Erich Gostahoffer looked again at the scrap of paper in his hand. 482,524. Civilian. It was months old, and faded, but he had fought a dozen times to keep it. At least he wasn’t one of the 500,000s. Or a six! No, at least this was manageable. Every day, he had returned to this place, watched the Church scribes announce the total. The slow, slow climb of numbers.

The corridors had changed quite a bit since his first dim memories of the place. The organic looking bone walls had been carved extensively, vaulted ceilings, tall pillars cut into the image of Saints. Here and there, drones hovered, spreading cheap incense across the chamber, trying to overcome the smell of cramped humanity.

He had even settled into a routine. The first hectic days still haunted him, the flight from Terra, the dozen bits of luck and chance - and Faith, praise Konichev. The ten second review, as a million people pushed aboard the Beast. Thousands had died, easily, and hard men with hard eyes were the only reason more hadn’t. They haunted his dreams, sometimes.

Military, Auxiliary, Civilian?
I’m a painter, from Lord Baryon’s …
Civilian. A scrap of paper, hastily scrawled. Next

Those with military experience, or whatever skills were viewed as ‘auxiliary’, had been fast tracked. Those who had the sense and means to provide a donative to the church got a better number. Beyond that, it was just the waiting. Notes had been posted on the walls. Food that way. This chamber claimed by Jarod.

The food notes never changed. The names did.

And, honestly, the food was more consistent then it had been on Terra. The … seneschel? Whatever her position, Hera, had somehow managed to ensure everyone got fed, every day. Erich had never gone past the gates into the hydroponics, but he could only imagine them being kilometers in size.

“482,524. Civilian.” The scribe didn’t look up.
“Ah. Yes, that’s me.” He glanced down again, unsure if it was a dream. The scribe tapped a quill impatiently. “Now, please.”
“Yes. Yes.” A shuffling step to the desk. Behind the wall of scribes, a second wall, higher up. Bored Church troops and slung weapons.
“Name.”
“Erich Gostahoffer.”
“Skills.”
“Painter.”
“Family?”
“None.”

Another notation on the vellum. “Where have you been spending your days?”
“Church habitation quarters, deck 7. Section 4.”
The quill scratched. “You will stay there for now. Report to Father Aver for duties.” A stamp. “These are your working papers.”
Erich grasped them gingerly. Here was safety, here was order.
“Now.”
“Yes, of course. Thank you.”
“482,525. Civilian.”

-

Saint Fabiyan tapped his hands together, the quiet sound silencing the training area. “Alright, so. Got another funhouse built for you lads.”

Groans from the assembled. He snorted. “It’s almost like you don’t like them. This one is specially cooked up by the command staff. Abandoned Hive, this time. You’ll be seeing rogue flora and fauna, courtesy of Hera. She apparently found something really fun, so you want to pay attention.”

“Enemy forces?” A scarred looking man, smaller than most.
Fabiyan looked at him for a moment. “Sol Kaar. You did that ambush, what … two weeks ago.”
“Yes sir.”
“Nice bit of work there.”
He seemed to grow at the praise, the other soldiers looking at him enviously. It was a rare thing, carefully granted.

“Thank you sir.”
Fabiyan considered it a moment. “For enemy forces, little will be known. Scenario is scouting force, the Lord-Sire wants to see if it’s worth sending in an excavation battalion.”
“Oh good.” A handful of dry chuckles ran about the group. “Rules of engagement?”
“Live fire, grenades and rockets. Nothing bigger, we want to see if there is anything worth plundering.”
“And we don’t want a hole in the ship.” Kaar’s voice was dry.
Fabiyan did that almost-smile. “We could do a surprise no-atmo drill, if you like. Spice it up.”
“Ah … no sir, I think we’re good.” A pause. “You mentioned plunder.”
“I did. Anything distinctly weird, you report in. The traps are also live fire.”
“And … anything not weird?”
Fabiyan shrugged. “Well, scouts get in first, right?”
Sol Kaar smiled. “That they do.”

As they got up to leave, Limosa looked over at him, his voice a low murmur. “What all we got in there?”
“A bunch of truly bizarre plants and animals, aggressively hostile.”
“Of course.”
“Radiation and SLUDGE traps, a couple no-atmo areas.”
Limosa chuckled. “You said you weren’t going to do that.”

“I explicitly warned about the surprise.”
“That seems rude. The prizes?”
“A couple caches of semi-banned tech that we collected from the battle. Already vetted.”
“And the weird stuff?”
“Up to you.”
Limosa raised his eyebrows. “Ah, right. I didn’t know I was in the exercise.”
“It’s important to test command staff too.”
A low chuckle. “I think I’ve been tested a fair bit already.”
“Then this should be no problem for you.” Fabiyan cocked his head.

Limosa held up his hand. “Fine, fine. I’ll go play with your toys.”
“You’ve got a couple hours before they get to the halfway mark. Think you’ll be ready?”
He snorted. “Please, I’ve been manipulating minds like these for a generation.”
“Have fun stay safe.”
“You know me.”

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
They better all be wearing their PT Belts.

Send in Anna to gently caress with Limosa a little, nothing dangerous. Acheronic incursions are rarely singular and power struggles can go off at anytime. Give them all a good scare that Ohone is always watching.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A much better director

The knock was soft, almost tentative.
“Enter.” His voice was oddly deep for his size, scrawny and buried in furs.
The person who entered was out of place, clearly. An aristo of some sort. Terran, from the upper spires. He smiled thinly. “One of our recent arrivals.”

She took in the guards, the stacked weapons. The spartan desk and stacks of papers. Cocked her head. “Not much later than you, I think.”
He gestured languidly. “A fair point. Still, you must have said something interesting to all my very expensive guards, to reach my inner sanctum.”
“You are Koenraad Orland.”
“I am.” He cocked his head. “Either you are very fast at learning new worlds, or you knew me on Terra.”
“Both. I was at the coup on deck fourteen.”
Koenraad smiled thinly. “One of my better events. I don’t remember you.”

Her eyes seemed to glitter. “I had the sense to keep my head down.”
“A survivor.” He seemed to consider his words. “One wonders why you came here.”
“An alliance.”
Orland chuckled. “I don’t know you from Adam.”
She sat at the desk in front of him, tapped the desk. “You haven’t joined Fabiyan’s gangs.”
“I’m not much of a joiner.”
“Then let me give you a heads up. Everyone joins him, or Ohone.”
He shrugged. “This is a big ship. Larger than some hives, to be honest. Down here … one could be missed for years. Even decades.”
“And that’s your goal? To be ignored?” Scorn filled her voice.

Another chuckle. “You don’t lack for courage, I’ll say that. Who are you?”
“Nessa.”
He spread his hands. “Never heard of you.” His voice hardened. “Now explain why I shouldn’t have you - and the door guards - punished severely for wasting my time.”
“I’ve married into the Family.”
“So? There are thousands of new marriages. The Seneschel is getting all she can.”
“Quite so. It keeps the legitimacy, marrying all the nouveau-rich into the establishment.”
“What does that have to do with me?”

Her eyes did that peculiar glitter again. “Any group with guns will end up working for the Family. Don’t mistake Fabiyan for one of the indolent chiefs on Terra. Everyone will bend the knee. You and me, we can just negotiate the terms.”
“Mm. And what terms were you thinking for us, Miss Nessa?”
“I’ve married into the Family. That gives me a figleaf of legitimacy. You are a rogue gang in the bowels of the ship … but if you work with Family, that makes you a company of Grey Guards. Auxiliaries to power.” She smiled thinly. “It makes you legitimate.

He considered her words, and soon mirrored a smile. “You’ve got me intrigued, for certain. Let’s hear more of what you’ve got planned…”

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Arkanomen posted:

Send in Anna to gently caress with Limosa a little, nothing dangerous. Acheronic incursions are rarely singular and power struggles can go off at anytime. Give them all a good scare that Ohone is always watching.

I like it.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

10/10, would get sick and not be able to travel so I could read again.

Arkanomen posted:

They better all be wearing their PT Belts.

I dunno, that seems too mean. Anna's still occupying Eduord, Limosa's mentor. Seems that'd cut too personal right now. I'm all for pushing our staff's buttons, and that's definitely one we should push (gotta acclimate him to the existential fear of consumption by the void, after all), but maybe wait a couple days? If we push too hard they will break, and psykers are both fragile and hard to replace.

Have Anna throw some demons at him, just don't let her appear herself!

Loel posted:

"Any group with guns will end up working for the Family. Don't mistake Fabiyan for one of the indolent chiefs on Terra. Everyone will bend the knee. You and me, we can just negotiate the terms."

That's the sorta go-getter attitude we want to encourage and keep a very close eye on!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Karia posted:

That's the sorta go-getter attitude we want to encourage and keep a very close eye on!

Hmmm, this reminds me of something, since we're getting back to basics.

Remember how we 'raced' the gun crew to incorporate them into The Beast, and, held a commemorative race at our wedding?

How about we hold another race, Mad Max style, this time to 'normalize' all of refugees we took on-board?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

You have no idea how big of a grin just broke out on my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

More posts from Erich's perspective