Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

FYI I'm reading, this still has a following don't worry. I was just waiting for to finish your word goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

:woop:

Im trying to push another 3-5k tonite, we'll see.

I think my writers block is for short posts, so Im changing it up with much bigger ones. Seems to be working so far.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Nobody better to have for the in vault standoff than a successful pirate

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Loel posted:

:woop:

Im trying to push another 3-5k tonite, we'll see.

I think my writers block is for short posts, so Im changing it up with much bigger ones. Seems to be working so far.

I've always thought the earlier thread trend for big meaty posts was better anyhow! Short posts seem like they never really let you stretch your legs, or just end up blue balling you somehow.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Yeah, the 3-4k word posts flow a looooot better. Im really happy with how they are coming out.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

I've always thought the earlier thread trend for big meaty posts was better anyhow! Short posts seem like they never really let you stretch your legs, or just end up blue balling you somehow.

succinctly and perfectly put.

Thank you for the wordgasms.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I'm starting to lean toward rooting against the protagonist.

I mean, I'ma keep reading until the ride ends (the ride never ends) but yeah.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

dont be mean to me posted:

I'm starting to lean toward rooting against the protagonist.

I mean, I'ma keep reading until the ride ends (the ride never ends) but yeah.

She'd be the villian in almost any other fic :v:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Just waiting until I have time to sit down and read your posts thoroughly! Don't want to rush through them, miss something important, and do something stupid like, I don't know, walking into a nuke. That would be really dumb.

Also gently caress it's November, I forgot that was a thing.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I missed this thread! So many moving parts.
I think Ohone is going to immediately start trying to subvert Oneoh's empire.
I also think the fact that Oneoh doesn't know poo poo about Hera is going to be the key to doing that.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

11,120 of 18,333

Everytime you close your eyes

Elenora tapped her fingers. “Well, clearly the most important thing is writing up a subversion plan right now. We need information on her regime.”
You nodded. “I’ve already gotten her to promise a cliff notes on everything. Maps, planets, tech, society. Everything a ‘citizen’ would know.” The word dripped with scorn.
She raised her eyebrows. “She’s just giving that to you?”
“Yeah. And everything a mid-tier officer would know. Claiming she’s going to, anyway.”

Elenora shook her head. “If that’s the case, milk it for all its worth. This is like finding a new heir to an empire who doesn’t know anything. We can walk off with the keys before they notice.”
“Sounds about right. Honestly, I’m just going to keep asking for things without committing until she gives a hard no. If she gives all this to her random dregs, than what would she be giving to her new ally and sister?”
Chuckles all around. Blackfinger, in particular.

Elenora continued. “So, that’s easy enough for now. Don’t commit, take their gifts and goodwill, map out the terrain. We can sketch some rough ideas right now, even if we don’t have the exact coordinates.”
You sucked on your teeth. “What you thinking?”
“First and foremost, we need to flip Huron. He’s clearly the brains of the operation, and if he’s out she’ll fall quick.”
You raised your eyebrows. “Why would he trade an easily manipulated pawn, and her very nice empire, to us?”

Anna smiled. “I might have a few ideas.”
You looked at her, nodded. “Yeah, I can see that working. Okay. What else?”
Sincera spoke. “Subvert the populace.”
“Eh?”
Skade nodded. “Definitely. It’s textbook.”
Your eyes moved from one to the other. “What do you mean?”
Skade continued. “Open society like the one you are describing, dignity of citizens, all that. It’s prime corruption territory. Usually it falls to the Great Enemy, but we can get in before that. Societies like that tend to think highly of themselves. We show the Dregs that the ruling class is just as scummy as they ever were, they’ll tear them apart.”

You smiled faintly. “Weren’t you the ruling class? Family had estates on Terra, I recall.”
“We had noblisse oblige.” Her voice was airy. “And we didn’t let the Dregs above their place. That’s just begging for trouble.”
“Right, so. You thinking psychological operations? Blackmail, that kind of thing?”
She shrugged. “Or we make something up. The Church is really good at information management. Distribution will be tricky, since we don’t have a close-up view to the target area, but we can make broadstrokes.”

“Okay.” You considered. “Bet you their tech is vulnerable too.”
Blackfinger raised his eyebrows. “Thought their tech was better.”
You nodded. “Oh, sure. A lot of it is. But it’s the ice on top of the ocean. They can’t have had time to upgrade a thousand planets, they just have given a layer to the government apparatus. All the old tech, the Hegemon machines, that’s my bread and butter. We can subvert defense platforms, cause atrocities. That flows into your propaganda campaign, and from there the fractures solve themselves.” You shook your head. “In a sane world, the Inquisition stops this kind of society from forming for exactly these reasons.”

11,680 of 18,333

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

11,680 of 18,333

I’ll be watching you

Oneoh tapped her lips thoughtfully. “Weird thing.”
Camilla looked at her. “Oh?”
“Ohone had a companion with her. Didn’t talk much. Went by Anna.”

Huron and Camilla’s faces went carefully blank. Oneoh smiled triumphantly. “I knew it! You know something about her. Tell me everything.”
They both blinked at each other. Camilla spoke first. “What do you know?”
“She’s a major player in Acheron. Major player. Pivotal in me leaving the Hegemon, maybe one of the top five sorcerors in the galaxy.”
Camilla nodded. “And she’s one of the old Lord-Sires of the Dynasty. Ran things for a number of years, couple thousand years back.”

Huron blinked. “I didn’t know she was that old.”
Oneoh stretched happily. “I know something you don’t know.”
“What’s that?”
“She’s an alt.”
Huron twitched his eyebrows confusedly. “An alt?”
“Like our models say.”
“Oneoh, you know I don’t follow your models.”
“Well, you should.”
He made a face. “I lack the skill for hypermath.”
“But you can calculate approach vectors in four dimensional space in your head.”
“Well, yes. That’s just combat.”
“Same thing.”
“It really isn’t.”

Camilla interjected. “Since you are so eager to tell us. What is an alt?”
Oneoh stretched her fingers out. “Okay, multiple timelines. Multiple possibilities of what-if. Acheron is the easiest way to explore them, it’s the common way to see likely futures.”
Both nodded.
“Right, so. Anna is from one of those.”
Huron stared at her. “How on earth would you know that.”
“Ohone told me.”

Camilla looked at her skeptically. “Just like that.”
“She didn’t know what she was giving away. But it’s a true fact, I know it in my bones.”
“Okay … so if that’s true, so what?”
“It means we can affect other timelines. Roll dice the way we want.” She considered, nodded. “I bet you that’s how she got so powerful. It’d be easy if you know how things play out.”
Huron leaned back. “She always knew how to say the right thing…”
“Yeah. I’ll bet you anything she’s worked those conversations before. She subverted you intentionally.”
“Well, of course.” He nodded. “No one goes through that effort without a reason.”

Oneoh tapped the table. “But, consider this. Original hypothesis, Anna subverted you because you are a great catch. Major commander, great strategist. Fine. But I think she knew something of what’s coming, and felt you filled a need for that.”
Camilla shook her head. “I think it’s a stretch.” She paused, considered her words. “You are stringing this all together on an off-hand comment from someone you just met, and trying to make it fit. It’s not something we can make predictions on.”

Oneoh frowned, nodded. “Okay. I’ll run the math based on what we know. And I’m going to pick your brains quite a lot more, I’m annoyed you didn’t tell me about her as a possibility before this. But if her success seems beyond the normal variance - even beyond that of using Acheron to see the future - I think she’s an alt. And that means she’s got plans.

12,226 of 18,666

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

There may be Sebekh posts incoming in the near future

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Go back to Deal, agree to shake on it, then cast Void Weapon on Oneoh

A good Rogue Trader knows when to cut a client.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Last time, on Sebekh, Menerwé and Madthena's Excellent Adventure

Hexenritter posted:

Slice of Life: Sebekh the Execrator. Location: The Beast of Traal, ~400 years before present.

"Ecbert's Fourth Axiom. Go." Sebekh pointed at Angelika.
"Any system is only as strong as its weakest component."
"Teachers pet." Kiera said, barely glancing up from the quivering, technicolour innards of some form of xenobiological organism grown from the DNA bank Sebekh had given them.
"Anyway," Sebekh's tone was less stern mentor and more exasperated father figure "What would you say is the weakest component in the Hegemon?"
"Eh, I'd say the time it takes to get anything done." Kiera mused as she poked at a pulsing purple lump, watching an almost electrical bioluminescence ripple through it and out along the veins and arteries of the creature.
"You're not kidding." Angelika laughed, peering over the glistening beasts innards. "Requisition times from Mars seem almost instantaneous compared to trying to get anything done with the ad-- wait, is that a psionic potentiator?-- Sorry, with the administrative arm of the Hegemon."

Sebekh's intricately articulated faceplate wrinkled into a smile and he nodded. "Just so. Imagine your frustration, magnify it a thousandfold along with the knowledge that every second the Hegemon's agonisingly slow machinery takes to process your requests for aid hundreds of thousands die, and prolong that indefinitely. Even with nigh infinite patience and loyalty, sooner or later the well will run dry."

The sisters both looked at Sebekh with a boundless curiosity that reminded him of himself. "It sounds like you've got someone in mind already." Kiera said with a wry chuckle.
"It's time to show you the long game." He grinned.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

So Oneoh is essentially us if we didn't have Ark. Interesting.

Agree. Buddy up with her and get her to care about us, play out a whole moral redemption arc. Then we tell her we're having problems with the defense nets, call her in to rescue us, and then bug off to let her burn in the gridfire and void blasts. Bonus points if we can have some of her own guys blast her, triple word score if we can pull an Et tu, Athena at the last minute.

If we're gonna be the baddies let's go all the way.

Hexenritter posted:

There may be Sebekh posts incoming in the near future

Yeeeeesssssss...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:allears:

12,226 of 18,666

Out to get me

You nodded to yourself. “So, thats the plan. Short term gain, long term subversion.Go ahead and let the other side know we are ready for negotiations. Mm … let’s bring Fabiyan, this time. And Anna, again.”

She frowned. “Why me? I’ve already met the princess.”
“Because I need a teleport in case things go squirrely.”
“Take Hera.”
“I need bait.”

Anna’s eyes narrowed. “I’m not bait.”
“No, you are just the cunning trinket that Oneoh is currently fascinated by. If you are with us, I put the odds of a backstab down by 90%.”
She snorted. “You can raise it by 90%. I’m bringing one of those void-rifles. First annoying question, she’s vaporized.”
“They don’t even vaporize targets. They undo them.”
“Fine, undo her. When did you become such a pedant?”
“When I found my creepy clone running a fancier empire than mine. Let’s go.”

-

Huron nodded to Oneoh. “They say are ready to come back to finish negotiations.”
“Mm. They say who they were bringing?”
“Anna, again.”
“Good.” Oneoh smiled. “Maybe I can get her to open up a bit.”
“And Fabiyan.”
“The Commissar?” She blinked. “Oh, the Saint. I swear, the Empress will promote anyone these days. A watery-eyed desk jockey? And this is who Ohone married.”
“Correct.”
“Dynasty isn’t impressing me much with their decisions lately either. Alright, let’s get this show on the road.”

-

“What ship we taking?”
You nodded at the docking bay. “Olympus. Already got Hera driving her.”
“Good choice. Probably one of the few ships who could survive a backstab.”
Anna turned her head to look back at you. “I’ve already strapped void rifles to the hull.”
You blinked. “When did you find the time?”

-

“What is that awful music playing?”
Hera frowned. “Elenora installed it when she was harvesting the colonies for you.”
“Well, make it stop.”
“I’m trying.”

-

“Technocracy ship in bound.”
Oneoh looked interestedly at the screen. “Really?”
Huron drew up the image. “Classic Technocracy, not one of ours.”
“Aha … she got the Olympus.” Oneoh considered it. “I spent a lot of time studying on it, I wonder how she acquired it.”
Huron shrugged. “My first guess is Athena. Her ship, I think you said it was.”
“... Yes. I wonder why Athena gave it to her, and not to me.”

Her eyes followed the ship, questions written across them.

-

You considered the fleet map. “They just highlighting the flagship for us?”
Hera nodded. “Wouldn’t make much sense to have a meet-up if they didn’t give us the address.”
“Still. Seems weird, I wouldn’t want to give out the location of my headquarters like that. Makes me thinks of nice things like fusion bombs and teleportation.”
Hera gestured. “Well, they know where we are. No fusion bombs.”
“They know we’d survive it.”
“Maybe they think they’d survive whatever we can throw at them.”
You frowned. “That’s just rude. A little bit of paranoia is just polite, this is like showing up to a meeting with no guards. Disrespectful.”
Anna nodded. “I have to agree, we should be fusion bombing them know that we know where they are.”
“Anna, shh. You just don’t want to be asked lots of probing questions.”
“I don’t want to be asked lots of probing questions again. Already answered all of them from you once before.”
“Good, because I don’t want you to answer them. Want to keep her in the dark as much possible, learn as much as we can, and get away with as much as we can.”

Fabiyan was watching the screen. “drat, but she’s a big one.”
Hera could only nod.

12,851 of 18,666. If you have any requests during the negotiations, now’s the time :D

Loel fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 12, 2018

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Send a private missive to Fabiyan.

"So, whose legs are better? Be careful how you answer. This is me we're talking about."

Also, I want to see if Oneoh's perceived notions of Fabiyan will be offensive to him, or if he, as the Eidolon of Devotion, will make a positive impact on her, improving negotiations.

Oh! Ask her, "Are you married? Do I have any kids/nieces-nephews running around the new Technocracy?"

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
Hmm tough sledding since we as Ohone know nothing about Oneoh. Maybe we tell her some useless stuff about people she would have known on the ship. Or see if there's any use in telling her the history after divergence? To see what piques her interests.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Show off our husband and make that rear end in a top hat jealous. She can insult us all she wants, but we'll make her rue the day she talked poo poo about Fabs.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Auugh i just want to blast her little soul into the void and let anna have a field day

Fab. Go big and gaudy. Parade day, make me proud and make them Jealous

Anna, feed her cryptic and randomly false bullshit. Lets throw off her `calculations`.

Prepare a void infused gernade we can pop at s moments notice and on the way in be as condescending and charmingly rude as possible.

Oneoh is naive, foolish and relies far, far too much on numbers and science. Loki hosed up, Oneoh is built on faith, we are built on facts.

Fact: we can survive void weapons with reality diving.

Fact: Oneoh relies on her bullshit hypermath equations to do the thinking for her

Fact: We have an acheronic chaos god in our corner, waiting out great change

We are, what we have always been. A rogue trader, and this goose is a plump one. Huron and Mom are the real threat.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Slice of Life: Sebekh the Execrator. Location: The Beast of Traal, ~400 years before present.

"Looks like it's working. His correspondence is becoming more and more vitriolic and I've intercepted a number of reports from outlying stations that have been overrun or have defected. This last one though... he's definitely got a way with perjoratives." Angelika said, directing a copy of the missive to Kiera.
"Such florid language. What are the exact body mechanics of line six?" Kiera's amusement distracted her from the arachnoid entity in the transparent titanium cage as it approached a large, fluorescent cat, one of the bigger, deadlier subtypes found in the arboretum decks.
"That's definitely, uh, going to require some finessing."
A male voice, synthesised, choral, full of harmonised frequencies, interrupted. "Considerably easier if your pelvic range of motion is unlocked."
Laughter followed, then Kiera's voice again. "Look, see how it's subverted the cat's central nervous system. It doesn't even register that it's in danger."
"See what I mean? I've been working on several other gene lines capable of this. There's evidence that test line 326 can link consciousness and work as a group, a decentralised entity that is more than the sum of its parts."
"Excellent. Show me." Sebekh grinned, giving her his full attention. "That sounds like just what we need."

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I think Oneoh''s approach could actually have merit, as long as she took as much care to upgrade the people's cognition and programming as she did to upgrade other aspects. Obviously Ohone is right about baseline humans, but humanity could be engineered to be better.

Shame there won't be time for that before it all burns.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Butt Discussin posted:

I think Oneoh''s approach could actually have merit, as long as she took as much care to upgrade the people's cognition and programming as she did to upgrade other aspects. Obviously Ohone is right about baseline humans, but humanity could be engineered to be better.

Shame there won't be time for that before it all burns.

Sometimes you have to burn a property down to the foundations and live in a lovely trailer until you can build it back up right.

Oneoh suffers from sunk-cost fallacy and thinks that what exists is perfectly sevicible if you just put a little more into it.

Genecatalog'em. Process the waste and move on. 40k years of stagnation and rot.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

And you people gaped aghast when these guys used the Linnaeus protocols :v:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

It's only war crimes if you do it to the enemy :smuggo:

We can debate what to do with the people of the Technocracy once we actually own it. Don't put the starship before the warp travel, people.

Hexenritter posted:

Very ominous! Here's hoping whatever they made isn't still creeping around four hundred years and half a dozen remodels later...

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Bwhahaha, my series of long hiatuses killed the thread :v:

Aww :(

:wave: Welcome back, Loel!!! :wave:

It’s great to see this thread active again, and goodness, that’s a lot of reading! Yes, I think we’ll all agree that the big updates are better than the small ones.

Its just, man, takes a long time to get through it all and respond. I’m like 6 updates down at this point.

Loel posted:

Sincera met her gaze, “That’s my point.”

Pax is still my favorite.

Arkanomen posted:

We are, what we have always been. A rogue trader, and this goose is a plump one. Huron and Mom are the real threat.

I like this, and I think we should run with it.

For the final ‘shoot out in the vault’, I want to turn Oneoh against Huron and Mom.

While it was a forgone conclusion that we were going to terminate them both, there’s not need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

If Oneoh is a naïve monarch, why not turn her into another client ruler on our behalf, and have her run around the galaxy spreading technocracy apple seeds while we do more fun things with Blackfinger and Fabs?

Just need to show Oneoh that she’s being used by Acheron to spread murder and destruction in the galaxy, and she’s not in fact saving the dregs.

“Work with us, and you can help to save the dregs as we rebuild the Hegemon. Work with Huron, and there won’t be any dregs left to save.”

For the negotiations:

1. “Hey Athena, you’re being rather rude. Gig is up anyways, might as well show us what cards you’re holding. Come talk.”

2. “As one of my conditions, when the time comes, you’ll promise to meet me one-on-one, and hear what I have to say on its own merits, without the constraints and preconceptions of Huron and Mom.”

3. “Why are you attacking the Janissaries? You’re not the waging-war-type. In fact, your fist instincts would have been to trade for their astronomicon. What happened?”

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I mean, if its just us and Oneoh weakened after a fight we can just turn her into a smoking void crater too... just saying

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Arkanomen posted:

I mean, if its just us and Oneoh weakened after a fight we can just turn her into a smoking void crater too... just saying

We could.

Its just, waste not, want not, is what I'm trying to lay down.

Besides, aren't we the newer, kinder, gentler, OhOne 2.0?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Loel posted:

Chairs and lounges comfortable enough to die in.

:hmmyes:

Challenge OneOh to a group drinking game. Everyone faces their equivalent and agrees to parameters. Back and Forth 20K questions commences and there is enough booze on hand to pickle a Hive Tyrant. After a winner is determined for each individual/equivalent, we start the group Truth or Dare, followed by Have I Ever.

Purely as a team building exercise amongst allies.

Purely.

Esper
Nov 23, 2004
Killed a baboon, once.
Are we sure Fabiyan won't identify with Oneoh's endgame more than Ohone's? I mean, he's the Eidoleon of Devotion, but to what, exactly? Us or Humanity?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Esper posted:

Are we sure Fabiyan won't identify with Oneoh's endgame more than Ohone's? I mean, he's the Eidoleon of Devotion, but to what, exactly? Us or Humanity?

out of nowhere with the deep questions. Nice.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Esper posted:

:pray:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:hmmyes:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Esper posted:

"What happened with Fabs?"

"He betrayed us."

"He's the Eidoleon of Devotion?"

"Yes, the irony isn't lost on me."

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Good thing we mutated his very being into an avatar of devotion to Us, not Oneoh.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker
Time to purge our husband just to make sure.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Mardragon posted:

Time to purge our husband just to make sure.

THATS WHAT IVE BEEN SAYING FOEVER!
THANK YOU!

If youre really serious about this, i reccomend sending Fabs into the deep core of acheron, primary right under the Princes castle and then setting off a huge void version of the faith bomb we used to seal the acheronic rift during the war of terra.

Sure it might destroy acheron but its an upper dimension and Blanks do just fine in life. Not like we cant just remake it all.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker

Arkanomen posted:

THANK YOU!

If youre really serious about this, i reccomend sending Fabs into the deep core of acheron, primary right under the Princes castle and then setting off a huge void version of the faith bomb we used to seal the acheronic rift during the war of terra.

Sure it might destroy acheron but its an upper dimension and Blanks do just fine in life. Not like we cant just remake it all.

The real endgame is being Huron's main squeeze. We've got to out maneuver our other selves. And that's tough because Anna has a couple 1000 years and several different timelines. I'll have to go look at a relationship cycle chart to see where Anna/Huron stand in the passion index.

Fabs is destined to kill us or turn on us anyway. Time for a 4th void rifle IMO. The one to the back of his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Mardragon posted:

Fabs is destined to kill us or turn on us anyway. Time for a 4th void rifle IMO. The one to the back of his head.

Arkanomen posted:

THANK YOU!

"We saved him so we can kill him ourselves."

And thus, the die is cast, the lie becomes truth, and, cycle is complete.