Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yes, make friends with our quasi step-brother

I've finally caught up with the thread (again) and I have to say it took me until just now to realize that Ohones name is Oh One. 01. Binary. I've been saying it as oh-hone in my head for this entire thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

Its always been oh hone for me too, but yeah 0 1 is her magos name.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. The worst part to me is that I can read binary fairly easily (because I'm a huge nerd), and I usually say "oh" instead of "zero" if I'm reading someone a phone number or serial number or something. Imma still keep calling her Ohone in my head though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm on plan Quid Quo Pro. His knowledge may be quiet useful, but the knowledge our STC has is way more valuable. Also Give him some of Kierra's notes as a gesture of goodwill. Maybe some notes on here heretek and how it resulted in getting murderized by husbando. Future loyalty can always be rewarded with more data.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah I'm with Team Ark now.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I too cannot wait for us to build planetoid consuming, self replicating GSVs. Also we're gonna need to get ready to create some kind of logisitical bureaucracy to keep things in line in our absence. Ourselves and a few competent solo acts are gonna be good for now, but something to keep an actual fleet following our orders (besides assuming direct control) would be nice to have.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Also, I don't know how our current stock of fusion devices is, but I think we should invent and build some Casaba Howitzers, which could be a nice, versatile weapons system if fusion devices are in strong enough supply. The short version is the explosive formed penetrator, except instead of using conventional explosives to turn a bit of copper into a jet of molten kinetic death, you use a shaped fusion device to turn a piece of copper into a jet of molten death that's traveling at a non-decimal percentage of C. While I don't know about the strength or quality of our fusion devices, they'll definitely be useful in more surgical strikes against larger craft, and definitely capable of clearing screens of fighters, bombers, and missiles.

Also, considering the toughness of infantry in this setting, it's probably good enough to piss off an Eidolion.

Also I really like the Ghosts of Terra/Ohone GSVs, but I'm not keen on trying to make avatars out of Ohone and setting up some weird little Triumvirate set up for fleet command. Maybe we should see what kind of fleet controlling tech we're gonna get out of Omega, and use some of that to network our drones and ships of the line. Rigging them to be controllable by us is neat, but is also a big vulnerability, so I still lots of value in having a solid command structure. So maybe lets stop killing all the goddamned middle management. We're trying to grow a goddamned empire here, we can't be everywhere at once.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Loel posted:

Oh, thats really neat :D I had gotten as far as making atomic EFPs in my notes, but I didnt know they had a cool name like Casaba. So yes, you can use them and they are a standard round on ship. :D

Yeah, they're really neat and we only don't have them because we kinda agreed to not weaponize space and because scientists in the 60's designed an space-battleship (the Orion) which would field hundreds of conventional nukes (for ammunition), a bunch of shaped warheads (for propulsion), and a bunch of Casaba's and it goddamned terrified the poo poo out of Kennedy so hard he cut all funding immediately. We kinda looked at the Casaba again for the SDI but that didn't go anywhere.

The soviets also built one that involved a huge concrete cylinder, a nuke, some water, and a copper cap. Turns all the water into steam, turns that copper cap into the fist of angry god traveling at a recognizable fraction of C. Less viable for an offensive weapon, but good for a static emplacement. I love all the batshit crazy stuff we got up to in the cold war.

One thing that I really liked about the design of the Casaba's was that by varying the material used to create the EFP, you could make one faster or slower (atomic weight of the item in question), and by using a thicker, thinner, or wider amount of it you could control the size and spread of the beam. So you could thin amounts of material over a wider area and create a cone that could wipe out a screen of incoming missiles or torpedos, or you could use a thicker, narrower plate and drill a hole through an enemy ship. The designs they had from the 60's had 10 MT devices capable of blasting a hole out the bottom of a soviet aircraft carrier.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Hexenritter posted:

Voting we make ~$NULL the thread mascot because that little guy is both awesome and adorable.

Seconded

Loel posted:

You are full of fun information! :D

Thanks my dude. I'm not much of a writer, so all of my creative ideas or interesting knowledge gets stuffed into pnp games, which I haven't played in ages. I've been wanting to see Casaba Howitzers used since I learned about them a few months ago.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 21, 2017

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oh goody, more fun reading material. I love the new/old tech mixing the Culture one. And the fact the culture is predominately able to stomp everything it bringing the serious stuff the bear. And the Contact sections' tendency ton mix and get involved having the expected results. Wonderful. I put it on my Kindle and I'm like 1/3rd of the way through it.

And I'm passingly familiar with Children of a Dead Earth. It shows up more than once on the first page when you Google Casaba Howitzer.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Voting for Butts

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
All guilt money should be given to NULL for the production of more holes.

I hardcore love the museum of deeds. We should make one for ourselves. With as much gaudy lostech as possible. Nothing says how far in advance we are of our enemies that we can waste priceless relics on showing off how great our legs are or how handsome our husbando is. It should have several bars, too. At least one secret bar run by the Little Sire to better milk our higher class visitor. Eventually we can use Jaeger titans to have interactive fights for the kiddies.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
And it helped us reborn our husbando as a living saint, and now Eidolion. So, silver linings.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Lets not kill Elenora. She's exactly right, and if she's planning for an eventuality that is on some degree heresy, who knows when we'll next run off on an adventure down the warp for a year or twenty. Good to have a contingency for keeping our poo poo running while we're gone.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oooh, we better outfit a bunch of skulls to fire rice and stuff for the ceremony. And confetti. And thrones. And whatever else we throw around at weddings.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I also support turning everything in a Mars Fed meritocracy, but that's a long term plan. Better to stick with Lineage for now, and start teaching the younger generations. We can start shadow playing the meritocracy in the future, letting good people marry into the family to get a command position of some sort, and under performing people suffering horrific accidents and their widow/ers married off to someone else promising. Eventually we can just drop the pretext of marriage altogether.

Blasphemaster posted:

Other, smaller skulls.

Which in turn fire even smaller multicolored skulls, which continues until the skulls are the size of pieces of confetti. Confetti-skulls!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Governmental Budgets. Besides, it's how the Imperium used to work. It's how the planetary governors we scoop up will be used to working. If we're going to be immortal, we can play the long game of it and slowly convert the thing Mars Fed style, but right now we're we're taking over an existing system and we're gonna have to focus on getting it running in some form or another and then we can rework the machine. Unless we think we have the time to reeducate every planet we come across.

Also it's less profit factor and more "money with which to do fun stuff with". Like ruin the economy of planets we encounter, throw lavish, ridiculous weddings, through ridiculous weddings to out do the weddings of others, build holes with, or build skulls that fire smaller skulls that fire even smaller, multicolored, confetti sized skulls. That fire rice. While making little :toot: noise maker sounds.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I don't think we wholly need to go Quarian Flotilla on this whole endeavor but Ark's in the right place. We need a short term plan to begin building Long Term Stability, so our 4X empire can manage itself the next time we go off on an adventure and fall down a mousehole in the Warp and comeback two decades later. We need to make a large, self sustaining fleet. We develop the need to not rely on the planets, but we keep them handy because more resources is good, but they can still be useful to supplement our fleet and logistical needs while we build them and make it easier to sustain them. We can also start the social engineering for the future citizenry on those planets as well.

Service Guarantees Citizenship
While the gravity well dwelling folks can't be expected to change too much in the near future (nor our current crew), we can use them as places to get new crew members. Ideally young ones. We get kids (early on ones, ideally kids around five or six years old. We dedicate a staff of people with the correct ideology to teach them in our philosophy of Duty, Selflessness, and Self Improvement. They get raised on the ships, they become Mars Fed citizens at the age of majority, and they also get a proper education and some good Mars Fed testing to find out what kind of job they'll be good at, and their training features both critical information and skills, as well as plenty of information about how awful life is without the Mars Fed and how important their job is. People in sanitation get information about how disease spreads and how important their lovely job is, and people in desirable positions of power get extra training on how their duty is to be accountable for every soul on board their craft. The captain gets good training on how to do his duties, along with how his duty isn't to be in charge of the crew but responsible for them.

Everyone serves a tour of duty in some part of the Navy or Marines and gets encouraged into a good fit in the civvie fleet afterwards, or potentially on some planetside posting. Everyone, including the active grunts, should be encouraged to take up some kind of hobby. The Arts, sciences, whatever. This will help build additional skills, and find non-combat posting for the grunts of the military.

The Commisariat is remade into something with a better name but I feel that Commisars become Coaches. Their job ceases to be enforcing orders at gunpoint, but to exist outside the standard chain of command, to provide captains with an accurate, unimpeded view of what's happening on board. They're cross trained on all duties under their purview and their focus is on helping train and coach new citizens as well as coach existing ones, frequently taking tours on other ships to help get a feel for better, more effective techniques and helping to keep ship culture from going stale. They would also function as a 'Juliet' (shamelessly taken from General Mattis), and one of their duties is in times of battle or other crisis to provide direct information to the Admiral in charge of an operation or the captain of the ship in times of crisis. They aren't there to undermine the authority of the Captain of the ship or anything like that, but rather to avoid any information being corrupted by the game of telephone that is the normal chain of command and intelligence that can be damaging enough in peace time, never mind in an active war zone. Their function is provide a clear picture direct to the admiral (or Ohone).

Likewise, I think shipboard children should be separated from their families to learn in dedicated boarding schools, where we can imprint their minds with our philosophy directly, without any parental meddling. Previously on the Beast a lot of tasks were family traditions. This is undesirable. Ideally kids should be moved between entire ships (frequently) as they're given both a general education in language, arts, sciences, and etc, as well as vocational training in basics across the board (so everyone gets a clue as to help in different areas in emergencies) and self defense training to help repel invaders. Crew should be moved between ships somewhat frequently too, again, as we don't want ships to develop a potentially stagnant and toxic culture, but this may have practicality issues. We can potentially nix separating parents from their kids in the future, once our culture has established itself.

Definitely move to an energy credit system, with a standardized pay grade system. People won't inherently have to spend their money on food, but mainly luxury items or other costly things. Including training. While people should dedicate themselves to their jobs, letting people 'invest' in their training is nicely capitalist way of letting them reinforce their own improvement. Hopefully, once this gets rolling, we can start producing lots of entertainment for our crews, from books, to movies, music, and interactive media. As we start to demystify (aspects of) the Mysteries, we can also start introducing computers and letting them build up an internet to help unify our culture and provide even more entertainment.

I think most of this applies to both normal citizens and members of the Mars Fed Navy. once we have the ships starting to be developed we can begin setting up recruiting centers on planets and start pulling people from there to the Mars Fed. Maybe also set up Mars Fed Enclaves on planets, so the dregs of the Imperial Remnant (of which we'll control as much of as possible on general purposes too) can see how great the Mars Fed is. They may have to go to Mars School for two years and then serve a five year hitch in the Marines or whatever, but afterwards and during they'll get to come back, hang out in the Enclave and do lots of recruiting. Likewise, the Enclaves can take in plenty of dreg kids and send them off to a Creche Ship and educate them in our way of thinking.

I don't think a pure Flotilla is a sustainable end game, but it may serve to help keep our growing, developing philosophies and ideologies isolated until they can develop a solid foundation that can handle stronger exposure to the uneducated dregs that are the Imperial Remnant. Which we should be helping, primarily in exchange for fresh bodies and resources in exchange for eventual annexation into the Mars Fed and protection against whatever evils are still roaming the Galaxy.

I'm not sure if we no longer need the Abrogates or the Krieg the way we have in the past, so I've left them out of this plan. If we still need them, we may have to offer them as part of the agreement with the planets. Let the planets provide us with the bodies we can forcefully press into the shape we need, whereas the younger, fresher minds of children can be left to grow in the carefully tended garden that is the Mars Federation.

And as I've said before, one of the most important goals is creating a dedication to duty that will preclude the need for dynastic succession and instead establish a solidified chain of command that can function without our direct oversight and without contact with superiors for extended periods of time. However, we still need to cultivate a degree of independent thought within our forces so that they don't just follow a list of orders. I also think we should develop/bring out lostech that will let us record the minds of our better and more citizens, to help both eternalize their soul and to keep their knowledge and skill available for future generations. Or to help staff our bigger warships, because we may not be able to create minds any time soon and if we can't have an entire fleet of Mind-ships, then taking a page from the Gzilt isn't the worst idea.

Also, we're telling Elenora we approve of her back up plan right? Because we should tell her we approve, but remind her that we plan on living forever. Just like Nwabudike Morgan. I'm also totally unsure of the actual chain of command on the Beast so we might need to go over that at some point and maybe hand out some promotions so it's very clear who is in charge.

E: And while I can't claim sole responsibility for it, I feel that this is my finest contribution to the thread and I may not be able to top it.

quote:

You continued playing with the wiring. "Right. So it'll fly towards them, with a hat, and when it gets close... Tweee. With confetti."

We also need to dedicate some skulls to surprise noisemaker and confetti duty. Future coup attempts get a warning. The first skull contains confetti. The second one contains SLUDGE. Then we make a new confetti skull out of your head. People who heed the warning of the first skull are watched and put on the short list for potential new promotions. We need to keep that kind of iniative around. Just remind them that we're their immortal techno god-queen-regnant.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 12, 2017

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Blasphemaster posted:

Bitching about the job is every worker's sacred right. :colbert:

Bitching is whining. What you're thinking of is Griping. Griping is a classic and critical form of stress reduction, which frequently deals with the how underutilized the author is, how unappreciated they are, and how their superiors don't understand the appropriate amount of work and how this misunderstanding becomes a miss-allocation of resources.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
World building is my favorite part of these. It's like the best part of the DnD session: The parking lot after the store has closed.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Or you do it with cars in somebody's house with car keys. That's a far cheaper way to get it done. And then maybe you can bang in the car and pretend to be teenagers again.

E: I'm pretty sure there's an episode of That 70's show like that.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 17, 2017

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I MADE A HOLE

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Loel posted:

Me: This is a reality tearing weapon that even the Minds are terrified of
Thread:
Thread: Lets shoot it
Thread: At everything

:psyduck:

Lets shoot it at everything until we can work some a little bit of Fringe into this show. Or until we hit the grid.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Y'know, I was going to ask if Lowell had ever played the Marathon games, but in retrospect, it seems like a pretty obvious answer.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
E: post at end of previous page

I just realized that we've made a terrible, terrible mistake.

We haven't thrown a Bachelor Party for Blackfinger, nor a Bachelorette Party for Eleanor. Unless it was such a great party I blacked out and forgot all about it.

Loel posted:

I have not, but its perpetually in my todo list :D

The Marathon Story Page for your digestion. The entire story of Marathon is pretty much told through text on computer terminals scattered around the levels. This website contains all of them, plus countless pages of discussion about them and how the various facts all interconnect. It's a hundred percent right up your alley. So is the Destiny Grimoire. Especially for ontological, caedometric, and paracasual weapons.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Loel posted:

Those are words I do like :D

And, I like to think this is party 1, party 2, followed by ceremony, followed by party :v:

My favorite thing about destiny, and something that most people don't pick up on, is that the player characters themselves are paracasual weapons.

And while i'm excited about these parties, i'm just enjoying a mental image of Fabiyan having to be Best Man and throwing a Krieg-esque bachelor party, while Ohone as Lord Sire Maid of Honor having to throw a party to surprise Eleanor, possibly making her think she's about to get purged as she gets kidnapped to the party. Blackfinger finding the bachelor party not bachelor enough and ordering a whole boatload of hookers and blow. Possibly literally, with an entire boat made out of coke and fully crewed by hookers.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Activate the OmniLiver. Invent new sensory organs and invent new drugs to alter them.

Do we have drug glands yet? We should have drug glands. Maybe make some limited versions (especially of the combat variety) for people.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Servitor Races: Mario Kart Edition. Everyone gets to make racing servitors, and either ride them or sponsor riders, and fill the track with booby traps and and powerups and let everyone bet on it. We can race or stay out of it, as some people may be scared of beating us at the servitor races. Or racing against us. Or remotely near us.

I also propose we create a new tradition for the technocracy races: Riderless Servitor Races. Like a boxcar derby, but everyone has to program their servitor to be the best racer. Whoever can sing the sweetest binary to their servitor will probably win. Then we can add even greater, more destructive power ups.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
And there's servitors to race. Galaxy will be there after the party.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, lets not start 'borrowing' peoples kids. Instead lets make some kind of neat education plan for the kiddo to be delivered in some kind of neat fancy dataslate (I may or may not be ripping off the diamond age) so s/he can be educated on the future needed values of the mars federation

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I was in your shoes not long ago. Buckle down and get caught up, things get even more amazing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah this thread has gone from actual DH game to bringing in Only War and now we're in the post game parking lot conversation and so out of the normal rules it doesn't even apply.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

CourValant posted:

You mean the siren call of non-stop drugs, woman, more drugs, and up-selling naive customers with the 'Under Coat' isn't doing it for ya? :ocelot: :)

IIRC, you had a rather long commute too, yes?

Look, if you want to make a change, and can afford to do so, make a change; life's too short to put up with soul sucking job.

What he said. Aside from writing, find something you might actually like to do, or at least settle for something that pays enough and isn't soul sucking, because becoming God King Of Humanity isn't always an attainable goal.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Blasphemaster posted:

Could always train to be a Scotch Somallier.

See if you can get a publisher to pay you drink at every distillery in Scotland, write a spiritual sequel to Raw Spirit.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Hey, knowing about a minefield your enemy doesn't know about is a pretty big advantage.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Frankly I can't wait for the inevitable confrontation that leads to their synthesis into Oneone

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

CourValant posted:

I prefer OneohOne.

01+10=11 not 101.

I wonder if there's an Ohone copy that hates that people say oh instead of zero, like Doctor 0 in Old World Blues.

Also I'm pretty ambivalent for where the thread is heading. It'd be nice to see some peaceful development but some historical world building (with or without Ohone and Anna sass) would be fun.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Keep Going, Never Stop, No Gods, No Masters. gently caress games workshop.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think the only downside is that some people are already familiar with 40k, but those that weren't were able to be organically introduced to it via the thread. With the change to the Prometheus Cycle's own canon, mid story, you're less able to work in all the changes in a way that make sense. Honestly, if you're still wanting to take a break from where the story is currently heading, maybe you could take this time to write/CYOA some worldbuilding stuff about the universe of the Prometheus cycle so people can get a grasp on it and it's differences from 40k.

And the thread can also get to gently caress the timeline sideways, which is one of our favorite pastimes.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You're starting into the Culture with Use Of Weapons? Ballsy. I think the best intro book is the Player of Games. But you have to read them all eventually. They're all so good. Although, I think my favorite Iain M Banks novel isn't even Culture. Everyone should do themselves a favor and read Against A Dark Background.

Also post more Karia. Post more now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Definitely more Family History Time.