Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Read through this entire CYOA, it's pretty great, I adore that you're actually making rolls based around the Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader rulebooks to shape how the player decisions work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

You mentioned earlier in the thread that all House Members are in the range of a meter and a half tall. Does being Voidborn stunt your growth? That's pretty short, less than five feet.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I wonder if we could acquire better artificial gravity systems, and install them solely in Upper Decks/command area. After a couple generations, House members might come out averaging over five feet all. And that would be better for looking imposing!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I believe that we can eventually develop into a sort of Inquisitor who believes he can serve the Emperor by means perhaps not considered conventional, without necessarily falling to Chaos. There are even strains of Puritan inquisitorial thought that I think might work for us. Thorianism might work, in that we might seek to bring the Emperor/Omnissiah into the world. More likely we'd be Amalathianists, in that we have already proven ourselves eager to work with many groups and cooperate in order for the sake of the Empire.

If we want to dip our toes in the Radical pond, we could become Recongregationists, a type of Radical Inquistor who believes the Imperium needs to slowly change in order to prosper. There are others, but these seem to be the types most fitting for our character.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

As we are an Inquisitor, and this is a powerful thing that is... was... an astropath, then there's a procedure to be followed here. The appropriate thing to do would be to take advantage of this thing's abilities as much as we can, and then turn it over next time we come across a Black Ship. More fuel to stoke the embers of the Emperor's heart.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Outrail posted:

A. And send the servo skull back to tell the others to wait and B (eat and ha g out with the locals.
Agreed. We're more likely to get to the elevator with a small group.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Its the primary food source, but they have moss and other stuff. Maybe some cave bugs.
I presume that if the food down here was tainted in any meaningful way, then it would have started showing in the many generations of people that have been born down here.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

They've shown some cave adaption - pale skin and hair, and some stretched faces. That might be the small population pool though.
Yeah, that's almost to be expected. If there was something sufficiently wrong with the food supply that it would be unsafe for us to eat for a few days, I think it'd show a lot more dramatically.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Ohone is Mechanicaus, and the Mechanicus does not sweat. They make a machine to do the work for them.

A full tech priest should be able to build a line-acending unit with ease, especially with assorted machine parts and a mechanized convoy to work with. Run a line up to the lift with the skull, then use the ascender to climb it. Make it crank driven or something for speed if you want, but anyone who gets friction can make it.
So if I'm reading this right, this will pretty much make our servo skull into the hook part of a grappling hook.

I'm all for it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tremynci posted:

Well, that's a couple dozen skulls to be getting on with!
I'm guessing that where they died isn't dry enough for their corpses to be properly preserved. Their skulls will crumble before we can even scoop them out of their heads.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Do you guys think bombing the building Mother is in with high-grade incendiaries is

A: A really good idea
or
B: An excellent idea and also a sacred duty to our God
?
C: I think it'd be funny to evacuate everyone and just leave Mother down here, all alone. Forever.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Start by using the skill we're good at. B.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

VanSandman posted:

BCD in that order.

Seconding Dana Skully as an official skull name. In fact, lets start assembling a list of names for our servo-skull army.
Skulletor. Red Skullton. Bat out of Skell. Ed Skullivan.
Somewhere in the archives of the Mechanicus, there is a forgotten tome: the Rites of Naming for Servo-Skulls, and within that list is a number of ancient, pre-Heresy pop-culture references involving people whose names sound similar to skull or things that have something to do with skulls that have been forgotten by the rest of the Imperium, but remembered solely for this one purpose.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Headcanon accepted.
It is reasonably common for initiate techpriests to name their first Servitor Bulk and their first Servo-Skull Skull. No one remembers where the tradition came from.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

Wait so is Warhammer a soul-based economy or a skull-based economy?
It... kind of depends, really. The closer to the Immaterium (also known as the Warp) you get, the more in danger your soul becomes. The Immaterium is a dimension underneath and parallel to our own, made of pure of pure psychic energies. Traveling through it is how humanity (and several of the other races) travel faster than light. It is also basically hell: the home of demons, soul-thieves, the Great Enemy. Chaos. Simply contemplating the Immaterium for too long can lead to madness, so different is it to our native dimension. And the closer one gets to it, the more precious one's soul becomes.

Normally, the souls of mortals return to the Immaterium upon death. There was actually a time when Chaos... wasn't a thing, when the Immaterium was safe for human souls, and so this actually was ok. But the thing is, the thoughts and emotions of mortals, and especially humanity, started to... warp it. Change it. Great wars made the Immaterium a more dangerous place. Great plagues made it a more sickly place. Great betrayals and manipulations made it a more manipulative place. And, finally, a vast display of Eldar hedonism created the final Chaos god, making it a much more hedonistic place, creating the hellish Warp we know now. Human souls--- most mortal souls, really--- sent to the Warp are doomed, claimed by demons, consumed or changed beyond recognition. Only through the grace of the Emperor are the souls of Humanity saved, for he claims own children before they fall into the Eye of Terror.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Outrail posted:

This.

Keep talking to the thing until we can deduce whether it can pass a Turning test.

E and this. Assuming the Turing Test is still a rite that is passed down in the Mechanicus, by one name or another.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

my dad posted:

Probably few. It's not a chaos thing, just very, very xeno.
We probably took an insanity hit though. And... B. We need that refinery.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Next post, I plan to contact Kozilek and update him about Abraxus. Do we also tell him about Mother?
Yes

Describe Mother, and ask for information about subduing/killing psyker networks like her. Make it seem like we're in active pursuit of a threat, even if all we do is ignore her as hard as possible.

Your Subsix Regiment won’t be allowed aboard ship yet - Lord-Sire wants to sell the berths to rich hivers. However, if you show they are an elite unit like what Widowmaker was building, you could bring them up. On the other hand, using Subsix as a shock unit will probably get you better with the General.
As such, do you want to
1 Conserve them with plans to make them elite

Take the ones fit for fighting now - the young men and women who are not sick or old or pregnant or disabled - and bring them with you as a personal last ditch bodyguard. Arm them well. Send the rest to the rear to train and provide personal logistical support. A fully loyal logistics train willing to follow your orders to the death is a blessing from the Omnissiah.

Mother is somewhere on the surface. Do you want to attempt to pursue her?
D. She’s someone else’s problem now

If and when we encounter her again we can try and kill the witch. For now, do our level best to ignore her. Sadly, I have no doubt we'll run into her again before leaving this planet, but Ohone doesn't know that.

What do you want to do next?
U Go the HQ, its time to do business
V Find the logistical train, you need to get that factory part
X Head for Gamma, you’ve done more than enough to show you are supporting the war.

A combination of these. First go to HQ or liaise with it and find out the situation at the front. Let raw profit making be the concern of others - we need to concern ourselves with the wellbeing of the ship. Take our disco regiment and those who went underground with us as our core group, with support by fit members of the Sub-Sixers. Have them train while we hit up the logistical train, maybe trade the labor of the non-combat sub-sixers for the part. Then head to Gamma. Let's loot the place like good rogue traders/explorators. On the other hand, if we're likely to find the part in Gamma, let's just go loot the place after we find out the situation at the front.

We can frame our actions as supporting the continued existence of the ship long-term with the Lord-Sire. Show's forward thinking and an eye towards the family's survival rather than short-term profit. If we can also make a short term profit by looting an abandoned hive, well, alls the better.
What we need to find out:
What's the current status of Gamma Hive? How goes the war? How long will it take to get the parts from the food processor up to the ship? Are we looking for a water purification chip? Will we be able to get a rank up and order more people around? Are there any skulls we can take for use as servitors handy?
Sure.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

my dad posted:

Let's grab a bunch of low-hanging fruit that will help us with inquisitive stuff:

Diplomacy:
Charm - We sorely lack this skill
Scholastic Lore Bureaucracy - We kinda have to deal with those guys right now
Talented (Barter) - PROFIT $$$ :10bux:

Stealth&Snooping:
Scrutiny
Search
Silent Move
(these also help with vvv)

Not getting killed:
Sound Constitution - Seriously, why didn't we get this one yet?
Yeah, these seem pretty solid. We can specialize more once we get the basics out of the way.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

And finally, just cuz I think you don't have enough to vote on:

What should we level up in?

Tech Priest - the standard level 5 build, it'll help us do a lot of core skills that we've been avoiding for the most part

Colchite Servo Master - we've been putting this one off for a while, it lets us mind meld with our servitors. Dana, Megabite, and our riding servitor are all options

Mechanicus Sectutor - a war priest. They are the madmen of mars, and their entire skill set is blowing poo poo up. As written, we don't qualify the prereqs, but I'll waive it as we are in a literal warzone.
Tech Priest this time. We have lots of skills that need shoring up.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

FireSight posted:

If we take Tech Priest, we can't go back to get mind-merging later.
Is that true? If so, might change my decision.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Secutor is a great role in groups where where the tech-priest can fill a specific niche of "communing with machine spirits and being a metal monstrosity that's hard as gently caress to kill", but we're an Inquisitor, a throne agent, and we have to be proactive rather than reactive, have to engage people socially on a very regular basis because we're also the face of the party. And becoming a Secutor flies right in the face of the fabricated flesh we bought and the Bonded Emissary/Assassin skills we already unlocked. So both tech priest and servo master would be better picks in this case, imo

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Votin' Plan Lanky Coconut Tree.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Grognan posted:

Sub-Sixty Niners Given their origin and proclivities when we found them. I see no other appropriate name. The 69th Trallian infantry

Chantilly Say posted:

We need to keep our eye on the ball at this briefing. How can we get hold of those trucks, get ourselves to whatever part of the front the Magos' objective is, and make stupid amounts of money? In no particular order.
Both of these. Also, don't claim we're an Avatar of the Omnissiah. It's a little too pretentious. I don't see anything wrong with calling ourselves the Omnissiah's Left Hand though. Pointedly not the right. The right hand is what (a majority of) people use for brute tasks that require strength. We, however, do the subtle things that the Omnissiah needs done.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

The Omnissiah's Left Lower Back Mechadendrite (the other one)(with the grippy plier)
Leftmost Mechadendrite is less of a mouthful and actually kinda cool sounding.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

VanSandman posted:

I like the Leftmost Mechadendrite as a regimental nickname
No, no, you mistake me. We're gonna call ourselves the Leftmost Mechadendrite of the Omnissiah. Us, personally.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

You would have to start a Patreon for Something Totally Unrelated To Games Workshop Guys, but hey, total coincidence, it seems your production in Games Workshop fanfiction also seems to increase the more money you get.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Of course we are incognito. It's not like anyone could eyeball our identity anyway. We're the most human-looking tech priest in the entire sector, and we can hold our own in a conversation with the uninitiated to boot, both very unusual skills for members of the Mechanicus. We can blend into the fleshy crowds and then instantly take our place amongst our metal brothers without missing a beat, though we do not truly belong in either group.

To be the bridge between both worlds, yet not truly stepping foot in either. Using our vantage point to provide knowledge of what we have seen to those who must know. This is what it means to be an Inquisitor, is it not?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

C. I support keeping an eye out for the physical location of his memories, but if we do find them let's not do anything with it. Yet.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ralith posted:

A plan just came to mind.

If we think we can do so in a way he's not equipped to detect, either replace or adulterate the BONE with something that will make its users violently ill for a short period. This will result in a lot of dangerous people being very angry at Devries
But not in a permanently harmful way, because we can definitely use any Ogryn he's picked out for leadership for ourselves.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

B. I don't want us to reveal ourselves until he says the exact words "How could this have happened?!"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Hahahahahaha.

D. Tell our Tribes contact that we will reward them if they bring us De Vries alive. I want to see the look in his eyes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Alive but you can cut off his hands and feet. Wouldn't want him getting away.
Well, yeah, let them have their fun. Alive and with all his senses is all I'd ask for. So he can understand in every single way who is responsible for his downfall.

poo poo, even if they cut out his eyes and stuff as long as he's still breathing he's got a memory implant, we could hack it and gloat to him through that so I won't ask for too much.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Sogol posted:

Can we turn him into a servitor?
We're gonna full process him if he lives through the ambush, it's no question, LowellDND shouldn't even put it up to vote. He should only have us vote on how, precisely, we gloat to him.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

A Darker Porpoise posted:

D When the option to vent something into space pops up I always have to take it.
Eh, I'm only voting for D to be really, really thorough. He's going to be taken in the ambush. Ideally alive, maybe dead. I don't really intend to vent him, but I also don't intend for him to get away, so it'll be programmed so that we can do it in the worst case.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

I like this but I think D should be the way to go. There's no need for anyone else on the ship to know we were pretending to be Amacita and having Devries die knowing that he still knows nothing seems like a better way to finish him than to reveal everything to him.

Once Devries is out of the picture, we should make sure we send someone to supply whatever unit he was incharge of supplying. It's all about the bottom line!
That happens after D.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

1. B
2. A

This one isn't worth making a servitor out of. He was a fake, not our true prey. The real De Vries, though... he'll be something special.

Oh, De Vries. You're in our world now. I think it's time to ring up the gangs. They owe us a favor or five for cleaning the streets of that drug, and we still need to pick our favorite amongst them anyway (or force them to play nice), and that seems like the sort of place that De Vries would run. If they see him or one of his lackies, grab them.

Can't spend too much on this, maybe a couple days before we have to go back on world, so we have to just make as many contingencies as we can and hope he gets caught by them.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Wait what

gently caress
It's probably not a 100% accurate screen of his DNA since this particular clone seems to be fairly mutated, but it'd be pretty useful if we found the right way to employ it I'm sure.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Outrail posted:

If we could open up a grim, dark irc chat room with tech priest I'm pretty sure we could convince him his future lies with us.

Either he's into heretek (woo!) and can help us with our experiments. Or he's a straight down the middle priest and we can use him as a helper or more mundane stuff. Or... He's fallen to chaos, which tells us a bunch about our foes and we shoot him out the airlock at first opportunity.
Considering the stuff he helped De Vries with he must at least be willing to look the other way at heretek. If we could get him into our employ that'd be a good get. We've already conditioned him, it's a good first step.

mepstein73 posted:

Scholastic Lore (Chymistry) (after all, we have been mucking around with mutants lately)
MagLev Grace (because flying's cool!)

Voting for both of these because they're both cool skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

my dad posted:

OK, looks like this didn't go the way I was afraid it will.

Guys, think long term.

WP simple advance - 100XP We have delayed this one too long. Let's go insane on our terms.
Forbidden lore: Mutants - 200XP For very obvious reasons.

Talented: Barter - 100XP We really, really, really need to make some money soon.
Scholastic lore: Mercantile - 100XP And it would be useful if we could grasp the big moneymaking picture

There's a bunch of cool stuff we can get, but delay it just a bit more. We've almost got all the core stuff we need.
Uuuugh fine I change my vote.

I think the issue here is that Ohone is both a tech priest and an Inquisitor, so she has an unusual amount of "base skills" to cover before she gets to fun stuff.

Also I looked around for an image that would be appropriate for Ohone as she looks now, because I'm pretty sure she doesn't look like with our skin graft as long as she's trying to stay undercover. This took an embarassingly long amount of time, because there aren't that many good pictures out there of girls in armor that don't show a lot of skin or whatever, so this is the best I could find

I'm pretty sure she's a Mesmer from Guild Wars 2 but it looks about right to me. Maybe tint her skin blue a little, she's voidborn after all.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 1, 2015