Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Just read through this entire thread this morning after finding it, and I must say, it's a great piece of work. Your writing is superb, and lives up to the standards of 40k CYOAs here set by Tias and B4tBG. I love the detail work you put into the updates, it reminds me of PTN's updates in his Battletech LP, which got him a contract writing fiction for Battlecorps. You have in Inquisitorial Acolyte mindset down, and it's great to read, reminding me heavily of Eisenhorn, but with some levity like in Ciaphas Cain. And you update relatively often as well. Really, keep up the good work.

As for the vote, gonna go with B:

FireSight posted:

Go to the control room. If the Xeno is there, kill him. If he isn't, we need to break the slurry system so it can't be distributed.
with the addition of calling in backup (possibly via another Omega) if the Xeno/daemonhost is there. We needed it last time, we'll probably be needing it again this time, even with our implanted Hellgun giving us more firepower (though our BS is still pretty bad) and Jeb's war party backing us up.

Also, when we get to spend some more XP, we should really get the Toughness Intermediate advance, if only to push our Toughness bonus to 4, since that lets us soak an extra point of damage before we take Wounds, IIRC. Need 250 XP though, but it'll be well spent. Probably buy a level of Sound Constitution as well (didn't we already get one during a previous vote? I don't see it on our sheet), since we seem to be getting into firefights often enough, and another Wound is always helpful during those kinds of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

LowellDND posted:

Thank you so much :D Its always good to have another reader.

No problem. Positive reinforcement is always a good thing, and I'm glad to give it to something as well written as this.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

my dad posted:

B - and chant the Most Ancient Rite of Tech Support (discovered in the ruins of an ancient temple of the Machine God) to ward off the perfectionist heresy:

If errors plague us,
Malfunctions trick us,
Or bugs deceive us,
Omnissiah, preserve us!

Call sacred number
Seven Seven Six,
Two Three Two Three YES,
Omnissiah, preserve us!

Sacred technicians
Of the Machine God
Shall ask you questions,
Omnissiah, preserve us!

Have you checked the cables and connections?
Omnissiah, preserve us!

Have you updated to the latest version?
Omnissiah, preserve us!

Have you tried rebooting the machine?
Omnissiah, preserve us!

Have you installed antivirus software?
Omnissiah, preserve us!

Have you cleaned the machine regularly?
Omnissiah, preserve us!

Did you at least write down the error code?
Omnissiah, preserve us!

Do you know how much I hate people like you?
Omnissiah, preserve us!

Wait, are you recording this?
Omnissiah, preserve us!

In the name of the Machine,
Omnissiah, preserve us!

This, so much this. Purge the daemon, purge the xeno! The Great Enemy has nothing on the perfection of the Machine God! Hail Omnissiah!.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Arkanomen posted:

C2
The enemy has done us the courtesy of standing in front of our guns and invites us to destroy it. We must oblige!
Purge the demon. The unclean. Corruptor of man and machine.

This. We can't and shouldn't rely on xeno artifacts to fight the xeno, when we have the strength of humanity and the Omnissiah at our side. Down that path a Radical lies, and we're not quite there yet. Instead, FIRE EVERYTHING!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Rockopolis posted:

So we end up creating Doomrider's weirdo cousin Sweettooth?

HE DOES COCAINEEEEEEE!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

FireSight posted:

As a note, we aren't an Inquisitor, we just work for one. That said, alert the Lord-Sire that the daemon was summoned by a xenos, and that we are in pursuit of the xenos, but the daemon is an active threat.

Yeah, we're only a low level (well, not so much anymore after all this is said and done) Inquisitorial Acolyte.

Going with plan my dad anyway.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

my dad posted:

I find your lack of ambition disturbing.

Not a lack of ambition, but just a dose of realism. IIRC, as a Techpriest, we're not allowed to become an Inquisitor because we're already serving the Adeptus Mechanicus. I think the same thing prevents us from claiming the warrant of our Lord-Sire as a Rogue Trader. The best we're probably gonna get is the trusted Magos at the right hand of the one of the previous individuals, or leading a Magos Explorator Fleet/being the Fabricator General of a Forge World for the AdMech.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

There's nothing in the lore stopping us from doing any of those things though as you can be a techpriest and still serve as a commander in the Guard, Navy or Inquisition. It's not uncommon for people to have several titles in different organisations just to do the one job.

We have a claim through our family ties to the Warrant and we're an acolyte to an Inquisitor which is pretty much one of the only ways to actually become an inquisitor so we can pretty much do whatever we want.

Don't you need to serve as an Interrogator for an Inquisitor for a while before you're judged worthy by a conclave of senior Inquisitors to hold the Inquisitorial Rosette? At least, that's how I remember it worked in Eisenhorn and Ravenor, and remember a passing mention of that in Dark Heresy: Ascension.

Also, I'm not sure I ever remember an example in the fluff of a Techpriest serving in a position of command outside the AdMech. They're pretty much outside of other Chains of Command, what with having their own. Of course, in a universe as large as 40k, I'm sure an example can be found somewhere.

As others have said, one can always bend the fluff a little bit in order to tell a good story, though. The grognards won't be happy, but when are they ever?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

Ravenor was in his twenties when he became an Inquisitor. Also, who cares it's just a game. Do whatever is cool.

Really? I thought that he served as the Interrogator for Eisenhorn for a while before the Thracian Atrocity which was what burned him and led to him being put in the life-support hover chair and him getting his Rosette soon after. I remember that being mentioned in either Xenos or Malleus, either the first or second Eisenhorn book. The book also said he was young for an Interrogator, and that Eisenhorn felt that he would likely be getting the Rosette soon as he was a prodigy, but I don't remember him being that young...

Also, this is becoming a huge derail and I'm sorry for being the one who started it.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 19, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Sogol posted:

Yes, yes I did want to know how that turned out before I ponied up and read the books.

Eh, that's just background material. Happens in the first couple chapters of the book in question.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

my dad posted:

Because hats.

I will say that Inquisitors do get some snazzy hats, almost on par of those worn by the Commissariat, but tech-priests only get robes with hoods...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Tremynci posted:

Anything by Dan Abnett, personally: he writes the Gaunt's Ghosts series, which is more regular-old-people infantry, and wrote the Ravenor and Eisenhorn trilogies: both of those protagonists are Inquisitors like our Ohone. I'm also fond of Matthew Ferrer's Enforcer trilogy -- Shira Calpurnia is about as close as Warhammer 40K gets to a common-or-garden cop.

There's also Abnett's Titanicus, which is a good look insider the Adeptus Mechanicus, of which Ohone is a part.

Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain series is also good for a combination of humor and action, following the adventures of the aforementioned Commissar.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

mepstein73 posted:

Onwards to 2015! All glory to the Emperor!

Don't you mean M3.150? Happy Feast of the Emperor's Ascension!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 25, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Bleach is good for cleansing.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Uh, anyway, we'll be dropping with the hard-bitten professionals thank you very much! I hear these crazy bastards never retreat! C

(I'm sure everyone gets the Nallani Rifles reference, right?)

Going with this as well. Dropping with the Nallani Army, who'll hopefully have their gear by the time we drop. Munitorium screwups will always bite you in the rear end, but we would be a poor Rogue Trader family if we didn't have decent supply for them until it gets here.

Nice reference as well. It's too bad the 56th Rifles are tied up elsewhere, they would've been a fine outfit to fight alongside.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

What does our XP look like after the boss battle? If we're dropping in, we should spend some XP to make us best equipped for our mission.

Get that Toughness bonus up, and a point of Sound Constitution wouldn't hurt.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I was thinking more of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-gI_pFog0

Now if only we had a drugged out woman duel wielding pistols with bloodlust....

The classic. We could probably find a Tanya in the Nallani Guard regiments to indulge us, those former Hivers are bound to have someone specializing in dual pistols.

Too bad Ram isn't here, besides being a fellow techpriest with a siege specialty, his built in speakers along with this song being installed in his memory banks (as he played it during Quint's duel with the Kroot champion) would give properly martial marching and fighting tunes, plus maybe get the dregs even more pumped out via disco soundstage.

Stealers are bad news, though it looks like the dregs pumped up on cambat drugs with backing from the pilgrims, some of who know what they're doing at least, are holding them well enough. Guess these are just low generation hybrids, and the later generations and patriarchs are back in the Hives, commanding the attack... Also, I underestimated the fury of penal troops who were previously just dregs in our Family's ship, but put through a physical strengthening regime and hopped up on combat drugs and Emperor knows what else, ripping apart the prop pods for improvised weapons and going toe to toe with low generation stealer hybrids, with massive losses for both sides.

Going apart from the :bandwagon: and hopping on [c]Plan C from Lanky Coconut Tree[/b]. Jeb and the disco soundstage controlled dregs, along with some inexperienced pilgrims can probably hold the position against low gen stealer hybrid rushes like we've been seeing, but if they bring out the higher generations as shock troops, we're probably gonna get pushed back. Leave a Nallani Guard officer or sergeant there along with a squad or two for backbone and heavy weapons, and let the Nallani HQ know that the position is taken and we're moving underground, and that they should send a team to take charge of the position from the Guard unit we left there. Gets us some credit with the HQ guys we could use later, too. Who knows, the reinforcements might be Nallani Mechanized Infantry coming in on Turkey Rotorships and give us the crossover we so desire...

And yes Lowell, the writing of these past couple of updates has been great, it looks like you write large scale combat scenes well. Keep up the good work.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 29, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

A, we now have our Tanya!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Wentley posted:

Mother is an AI of some kind. Is that heretical?

AI is heretek of the highest order! After the revolt of the Iron Men during the Dark Age of Technology, the Adeptus Mechanicus declared all Abominable Intelligence tech heresy, to be replaced with the more complaint Machine Spirits.

wiegieman posted:

B

There's a good chance these are tech-aborigines, descendants of the plant's original workers. That means we can get a plant and a ready-trained workforce all at the same time. We just need to talk them into it.

Going with this. Tech-aborigines means that we (possibly) get a plant (if they have one, since they need to be eating something; and can be convinced to part with it, since we might be the aforementioned Foreman) as well as the required workforce for it (if they come with us and join the ship) along with some more possible troops, since if Tanya is representative, some of them might be martial in ability. Ask them about the Foreman along the way.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

JT Jag posted:

You mentioned earlier in the thread that all House Members are in the range of a meter and a half tall. Does being Voidborn stunt your growth? That's pretty short, less than five feet.

Yeah, it does. Lack of constant gravity and all that. Ohone was described as stunted and 1.55m tall, as evidenced on our edited character sheet in the OP.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

JT Jag posted:

I wonder if we could acquire better artificial gravity systems, and install them solely in Upper Decks/command area. After a couple generations, House members might come out averaging over five feet all. And that would be better for looking imposing!

The Alpha Deck and Command Levels probably have the best artificial gravity systems available to our Rogue Trader Family, any better is probably going to be a relic of the Dark Age of Technology, which would be a miraculous find from the Omnissiah for a tech-priest such as Ohone. Probably worthy of a promotion of some sort if something like that is found, and the immense gratitude of the Magos and the Lord-Sire, plus maybe some favor (and envy) from other Family members.

The Family is probably all stunted as a property of being born in and spending most of their time in the Void. It does weird things to all of them, but not so much so that they're declared mutants. Rogue Traders arr too important to the Imperium for that to happen, and other Void Born improve the Imperium in other ways (mostly by dying messily and heroically when fighting the Emperor's enemies).

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 31, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

mepstein73 posted:

...since we might be the aforementioned Foreman...

...since we might be the aforementioned Foreman...

WE SHOULD BE THE FOREMAN

Or at least pretend to be.

Fair enough. We find out enough information about this Foreman, and then do our best to convince these tech-aborigines and their "Mother" that we are the Foreman.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Jumping on the B :bandwagon:; we need to recover that processing plant, and these tech-aborigines can probably be convinced to come with us when we repair the elevator and help run the thing, especially since they kinda want to return to the surface anyway. We'll deal with Mother later, there's still a Sanctioned Astropath at the bottom of the collective, but the witch probably will need purging afterwards. Depends on how helpful it is, I guess.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Tremynci posted:

Well, that's a couple dozen skulls to be getting on with!

We don't have the equipment to make servo-skulls here with us, it's probably back on the Beast.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

D Might as well take a look around, there must be a reason why this office was important...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

A, get above and back into contact

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Got a present for ya![/Havoc]
A little C4, Knocking at your door.[/Navy SEAL]

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

We should really take the Toughness Intermediate Advance, so we can get our Toughness bonus up. We're currently at 39 T, which means our bonus is 3. Taking the advance would boost our bonus to 4, which means another point of damage that we can soak. And by all means, take Sound Constitution as well, more Wounds will help us survive.

Barter would also help, as well as Search and Scrutiny. Peer Military would also help out in this warzone, since we're likely to be here for a while.

We don't have good enough stats to go Secutor, since our fighting skills are pretty poor. Still, going down that path will likely give us a chance to change that. gently caress it, might as well go Secutor.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Outrail posted:

Isn't toughness more like damage soak?

Think he's talking about the purchase of Sound Constitution... Though his argument is good, might as well put in another vote to pick up Dodge.

We'll have more XP to spend after we choose a new class, so we can probably buy whatever gets skipped over in this vote then.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 11, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Toughness increase, you fools! Getting our Toughness bonus up to 4 lets Ohone soak an extra point of damage every time she gets hit (and float for another minute if we pick up Maglev Grace).

Also voting for Dodge, Orthoproxy, and Electrical Succor. A Medicae Mechadendritewouldn't hurt either, since we do have a pretty good Int for it to be connected to, and we have Medicae to help that out as well. Peer Military will help us too, for the current warzone.

I would get a Gun Mechadendrite, but Ohone's BS is kinda poor, so it probably wouldn't help much.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 12, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Bah, should've made my case for a Toughness increase immediately after I saw that Lowell had updated. Instead, I had to get to work and didn't have a chance to do so until I got home later in the day... By the Omnissiah, next time we're buying that increase.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Go talk to the Tech-priests and the Magos, and then the General, since he;s the reason we're here after all.

Also, if Quint is the Lord-General, the Magos in question just might be Ram. That might be a good way to get in with the general.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Dunno if Ill have a post tonite, but I'm working on the metaplot for the next few months. Once I have that, posts should come easy.

:allears: The Catachan army is about 200 klicks to the Northeast. They are trying to flank the city. (and Ill officially reveal their presence next post, with the Death Korps of Krieg to the west of you)

Metaplot is always good, helps you plan out what you're going to write and all that.

Also, Catachans and the Death Korps, in addition to General Militant Quint leading the Nallani? I assume there'll also be some Cadians around since they're always in the thick of things whenever the Imperial Guard is out in force.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

While B might be more smart at this time, I really want to see him crash and burn now. D.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Quick edit: It turns out the Sisters of Silence already exist in war40k, and are telepath hunters.

For the one watching the Comissar, she's from a completely different monastery of the same name, sworn to silence.

I did not mean to imply the Commissar was a telepath :D

I was wondering about that. Maybe change it to another order of Sisters that aren't militant, or something like that. They do exist, after all.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Going to advocate again for the Toughness Increase. Get that Toughness bonus up!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

If push comes to shove we should still have the electoo granting us our Inquisitor's authority to act in his name.

I keep seeing reference to an electoo granting us Inquisitorial authority, but I don't remember where it was introduced by Lowell. Can someone please point this out for me?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It's pretty standard for acolytes to have one on their palm or, if untrustworthy, on their cheek. Any Inquisitor can call it forth when they see you if they feel like it but it has to be an emergency for the acolyte to use it.

Yeah, but we were basically recruited as a Throne Agent by message and have had no physical contact with our Inquisitor or any of their lackeys. I doubt we got any secret Inquisitorial electoo in this instance...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The whole Steal the top of a Hive City plan is a lot more audacious than I'd like to move at the moment, and I don't really see the point of it that much. If we are going to do it though, we should probably inform the Lord General, Magos, and Lord-Sire what we plan to do, so they can be prepared for it...

Rooting out DeVries and training our rentinue right now, I can get behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Tomn posted:

When will I arrive at the party? Seven. A.M. Case the restaurant, run background checks on the staff. Can the cook be trusted? If not, I gotta kill him. Dispose of the body, replace him with my own guy no later than 4:30...

Everything you just said was insane. But we're out of time. Congratulations, you're a failure.