Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The worst part of having powered through this story in a week or so is having to wait for the next update like some Dreg waiting in a line for a soylent green smoothie. But on the other hand, I do kinda remember what our current goals are. We got to 1) show our non-involvement in Limosia's death, we gotta 2) discredit Inquisitor S, and 3) show that our actions have been in keeping with the best traditions of fighting the Enemy. So we need some time to compile/analyze/fabricate some evidence, and find out who our judges and jurors are going to be so we can tailor our arguments towards them. Since I guess we can't crack this guy's head open and download the info directly from his brain in an efficient manner, I guess we gotta B talk with him to get that intel. Who's running the show, who's here to participate in this little inquiry, that sort of thing. Oh yeah, and I guess our trump card is that the inquisition has been working for ages to place one of their assets in command of the Beast and they shouldn't let the mysterious murder of some Eldar-phile derail that plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Waci posted:

Suck up to Lynwood.

This seems like a good idea. After the tribunal. Let's play the safe game, get some Puritans on the tribunal, play up our killing "xenos in the name of the imperium" credentials. Implicate Limosinia as an eldar-lover, Devries as a tech-heretic, and keep the Xeno Hybris far away as possible.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Globofglob posted:

D

Let's not snub the elector.

Agreed. We're still only an interrogator, so we should probably not snub the potential judges/electors. If we do well at the trial, we can ask for a promotion then.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Sogol posted:

What several of them are going to want is future assurances with regard to the Beast, I would guess. More valuable than most anything we have in hand. I get you out of this, there may come a day when I want a favor kind of thing.

At any rate we should determine what the Beast means to all of them, while remembering the Lord-Sire is almost certainly still alive waiting to see if we protect or sell the Beast.

Guess we should probably rescue him from Devries' clutches. Or let Devries kill him and then enact plan From Below.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

My father got executed by His most holy inquisition and all I got was this tshirt (and excommunication).

You don't have to be a homicidal sociopath to work here (but it certainly helps!)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
What are we reaching out to the machine spirits for? Access to surveillance nets is well and good, but we see what's coming after us. Are we just trying to open the doors so we can leg it? Turn on some interior defense systems? Post a scathing review of this tunnel trap on Space-Yelp? I vote we open up with weapons and blast the thing. After all, I would rather reveal our potent defenses rather than our superior hacking skills.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

VanSandman posted:

We should post a scathing review of this tunnel trap on Space-Yelp, though.

1/5. Slow, inefficient. I suppose that's what happens when you rely on xenos to do your work for you.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Oh god, kill it with fire. Assuming we don't mega-fail that, too.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Can we still get drunk anymore? What sacrifices have we made in the name of perfection? Still, we came to get info from this lady, and in the absence of being able to extract the info from her brain directly, let's hAng out.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
E2. Getting info on ice guy and Kozy seems good. "A guy who's frozen in ice and a guy that doesn't exist? I'm betting on #1, presumably we'll find out at my trial. Speaking of which, who wants to be a judge?"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Haystack posted:

The risk with impersonating a legendary ghost like Kozilek is the possibility that you'll draw the attention (and possible ire) of a person who is competent enough to spook the goddamn inquisition.

That's why the person impersonating him is probably the person that killed him. Or, like James Bond, it could be a persona, and not a person. Hard to say.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If Jazmine can be believed, this is really a power struggle between Gant and Siadwell. We should get Eduord to confirm this, so that we have a better idea of how to proceed. If I understand correctly, Gant is automatically on the tribunal, while the other two spots are up for grabs? So Gant is probably going to vote our way, so we would only need one more judge in our pocket to be certain, but having both would certainly be preferable. Especially if we are looking to get promoted to full inquisitor afterwards. That being said, this could be our only chance to do some science to these crazy machines. A

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
E. We're in a room with a cogitator powered by the damned. That includes modern tech, archeotech, xenotech, and emperor knows what in a hideous abomination against the Omnissiah. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to rub some science all over this, especially given that we might be dead soon. Let's play with the machine! Preferably with their permission, but distract them with words and let the servo skulls get to scanning if we don't get permission.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Grognan posted:

Offer to trade the soulstone for the cogitator. Technobaffle our way through it, mention we've seen tech like this before.

Yeah, this. We can up the ante later if we survive. Athena's still wandering through the warp, we have some time to bargain. Or plan an elaborate heist, if necessary.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ralith posted:

Definitely don't trade away our soulstone if we might get the gear for free just by asking the right questions.

Also, even if the predictions do suggest that we shouldn't get the part, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be helping Athena. The predictions are based on what information they have. They're missing all kinds of stuff--for example, the fact that Athena exists.

Well, we should snag the cogitator because it's valuable and may be useful to our own efforts, even if we don't hand it over to the sentient, potentially heretical pre-imperial AI. Whereas the spiritstone is just a shiny gem we can wear if we want to annoy the eldar or the inquisition.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

I"m agreeing mostly with the latter part of this.

The first rule of a trade is 'don't sell valuables before you know what they're worth'. You want to do the ripping off, not be the one ripped off.

We know what its worth is, it makes space-jerks like us. Better to consign it to eternal torment in the bowels of a machine and get something of worth from it than not do either. Win-win.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Why be furtive? Stroll down the corridor like we own the place, wave hello, and be on our way. If she stops us or attacks us or whatever we can respond, but at this point let's just go get some shut-eye. I think we're suspecting she's aligned with Siadwell, so no point in engaging her unless she asks.

E: I guess this is option A with a side of nonchalance?

sullat fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 18, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

Wait.

If she's not talking about us, we're gonna look pretty silly. Jazmine could be talking about literally anything from the arrival of the Beast to the stagnation of the Imperium.

I don't think we can afford to look silly, too. Wait.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Jazmine is a talker, but also probably a liar? I mean, we are pawns here, and if Gant is tired if the game and wants rid of us he'll just do it. Let's chitchat with LynwooD. See what her deal is. What does her faction think of this little amusement? What are their goals? We understand the utility of keeping your strength secret, but why so hidden? And where'd you get that sweet coat?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Ooh, I'd never thought that Siadwell's research on the Beast would likely tip the Occularians from "get Ohone out innocent" to "convict Ohone for the good of the Imperium." That does seem likely.

Well, there's something going on, where if Ohone doesn't stop it soon, it will be better that Ohone not stop it at all. At least according to =][=NIAC. Could be Siadwell, could be Athena, could be Devries, could be the latest hotshot rogue trader making his mark on the Koronus Expanse. Hard to say.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

Above all we need catspaws, and I think our biggest concern is getting in touch with the beast - we've had zero updates in the way of chatter/communication/radio, which makes me thing we need to get our hands on a transmitter or shuttle. If getting in touch with our ship's archivist, Miriam, is paramount then we need to make efforts there.

I whole-heartedly agree. I'm thinking, 4 warp cats from the beast gets us 16 catspaws to work with. Suspensors, a mechadendrite or two to manipulate things, and of course a surveillance suite. Gotta figure out how to control the fluorescence, though, it ruins their stealth capabilities.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Can we explain to Athena that we are currently engaged in a mockery of a tribunal, the results of which will determine if we live or die?

That would be like asking a sovereign citizen to help you get out of a parking ticket. Let's definitely check up on our power base, though. Visit B. Miriam. If Athena wants someone to collect bear asses or whatever for her, put Megabite on the case. I'm sure he'll do fine.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

How are we able to have point-to-point communications across the vast reaches of interstellar space?

Athena visited Terra, but probably isn't there right now. The communication just started, it's probably lurking relatively near to Footfall. Just in case we need a deus ex spaceshipina or a new complication.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ElrondHubbard posted:

Never mind, you're right. I misunderstood the text and thought Megabyte ran into a chaos possessed individual planting a grenade, whereas the ozone and danger dialogue were referring to the grenade itself.

Jazmine probably planted the grenade and this whole thing is one big wild goose chase. At least we got a vortex grenade out of the exchange.

Chekov's vortex grenade, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

The STC contains potassium benzoate.

Well, duh, they contain the sum total of humanity's knowledge, I would hope it has blueprints for all the mildly carcinogenic preservatives any vendor could want.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Also, the Beast has really been one of the stars of the setting, and we've got a great plot going on there that most of us really want to resolve. Preferably by punching Devries so hard that his clones feel it. The inquisitorial fortress thing is mostly a distraction from that plot, unfortunately. The +Mysterious Staff+ subplot and the world-eating AI subplot are certainly intriguing enough to keep going on in the background, but I feel like the most interesting story right now involves politics on the Beast. The inquistors can just be inscrutable and cut us loose for reasons, except with Siadwell getting in our way in public and a number of mysterious new pilgrims boarding from Footfall. Besides, we already know that Limonsia's murderer is still on the ship, since Siadwell had the entire apartment complex hauled into the Beast.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Ah, combat, something we can handle. Open up with the vortex grenade to the leader (try and get at least another in the blast radius) and take out another with our digi-ring. Then fall back to cover and call for our minion reinforcements to try and flank them from the rear.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
See, this is why we should get to the Beast as quickly as possible. Tell the Eldar what they want to hear, it costs us nothing. Alternatively, vortex grenade to the face of the lead eldar. Either way, we vamoose, tell the inquisition we ain't got time for their trial, we'll pick it up in a couple of decades if they still care. Then we get teleported back home, and make like a bulimic and begin the purging.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ElrondHubbard posted:

The Inquisition, famous for being reasonable, understanding, and accommodating of other people's needs and beliefs.

Also, keep in mind, the guys you're considering purging are Astartes, each with the armor and firepower of a tank. The Night Lords, in particular, specialize in hit and run + terror tactics, while the Thousand Suns are goddamn wizards. So who exactly are we taking to fight these walking death machines with millenia of combat experience wrecking the poo poo out of fortified worlds?

I suppose if we get some kind of trade deal going with Athena helping us get the staff, in exchange for the Eldar helping us convict Siadwell / get stuff for Athena, followed by the Inquisition helping us stab the Eldar in the back and grab the staff for Athena, things might work out.

No, I mean purging the idiots who are supporting Devries, so we can get on track for chasing down the astartes who are presumably mucking around the galaxy with our family's staff. Whether or not we use it the way the Eldar want to is up to debate, but getting control of the Beast is the first step. Also, there's a saying, "it's better to ask forgiveness than permission", so we use the Beast's teleporter to boogie on out of here so we can get to work on the real task. We've accomplished our main goal here, getting the widget for Athena (even if we had no idea it existed before yesterday), so there's nothing more here but delay, procrastination, and maybe avoiding a death sentence.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
A great advantage as long as nobody knows we have it. We're an Inquisitor in training, let's try subtlety. Read internal comms traffic for blackmail matter and to find out who's on our side. Obviously, any Inquisitor worth his Rosette isn't going to commit his sins to email, but hopefully some of them don't understand what magic we can work. As far as tech fuckery goes, we should definitely backdoor every security and infrastructure system we can find, just in case, but no need to tip our hand yet.

The dwarf probably wants us to reduce internal strife, not increase it, so let's not incite an all out civil war just yet. That can be plan "C". For Chaos.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tran posted:

Jazmine has a point you know. Ohone would make a good Istvaan.

Conflict certainly makes us stronger. Thanks to all that XP.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The last order, eh? That can be taken a number of ways and you guys seem to be taking it as the "promotion" way. Could also be the "retirement with extreme prejudice" way. So, uh, do what he says bht prepare a back door escape plan. Deadman switch data dump implicating him in half a dozen heresoes or something.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Magos, ritual trial. Since that's kind of what we had. We've got to have the will to look our enemies in the eye. Also demons and stuff that we run into.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If we're going to be spacing people we don't like, I will never say no. Agreed with spacing the sister and anyone else on the late Siadwell's retinue we can find. Be sure to space the daemonhost in the general direction of a star, since I don't know if mere vacuum will be enough.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Oh, we should get gas masks/rebreathers for our mooks just in case they end up fighting in vacuum/space mustard gas.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Oh boy, I get a few days behind, and. Wow. If this is the path we're taking, so be it. I must say that I usually find time travel as a plot device to be a little tedious, unless Bruce Willis is involved. So maybe get Galahad to take his shoes off for this adventure? At any rate, ask this lady if she can help us. If the answer is "no" or "maybe" or "yes, but..." just shoot her and move on.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If only we had been able to loot the nuke. Would solve this dilemma nicely. Let's just throw Devries in as a distraction and mumble the unsafe word as we leave. It will complete his task.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Save 2. Fabiyan and Megabyte. Any hero can rescue his/her spouse from the Underworld. A legend goes back and rescues their dog as well. No looking back, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Can't we ask our pet supervillan in a box what's happened to Amacita?

E: Devries, in case we have more than one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Did plan hamster wheel go forward? Could be useful for leading the charge. But yeah, don't gi e it any weapons. Just life-support, armor, and an embedded ipad or something.