Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Hey Lowell, I caught up on the thread around early January and have been lurking since, it's a great read and I'd like you to know that I'm always looking forward to more of it.

Now, as to the current situation, I think we should go with:
B. Investigate the Lucre further. Why would someone on that ship want to kill you?
My take on the whole thing is that someone from the Lucre who was planetside when the ship jumped out, and thus unaffected by the memetic virus, saw us profiting from the catastrophe and jumped to the conclusion that we were responsible for it and not just scavengers on the bad fortune of others.
I think it would probably be someone from the Lucre's nobility or dynasty, as that would fit what we know:
1) Access to the weapon - My guess would be that to even have access to this specific weapon - used by the founder of the dynasty of the ship no less - you'd need to be pretty high up on the hierarchy of the Lucre, personally I don't see either Limosa or DeVries getting their hands on such a thing.
2) Reason to use this weapon - I can of course imagine DeVries or Limosa getting a weapon that is so strongly linked to the Lucre that any investigation in the aftermath of the assassination (successful or not) would point straight to someone else, but I doubt that either one of them would lack the capacity to have the thing properly maintained to ensure a clean kill, as both have rather extensive networks of people working for them. I figure a simpler assumption would be that the person from the Lucre now lacks any support from his family and thus is not able to have the weapon maintained, but it is still the best weapon he has access to, so he decides to use it.
3) Botching the assassination and leaving the weapon behind - In my opinion both DeVries and Limosa would have the resources to make sure that in the event that the shot missed, whoever took it would be extracted quickly and without leaving any clues behind. Leaving the weapon does not make a statement in my opinion and as such is likely the result of someone not trained enough in assassination missing the shot, panicking and making an exit, while leaving the large and cumbersome rifle behind to avoid capture.

tl;dr: I think someone from the nobility of the Filthy Lucre was stranded planetside when the ship warped out, saw us profiting from the catastrophe and decided that we were to blame. He had access to the rifle because he used to be rather high up and got it as some kind of symbol of authority or trust, but could not maintain it properly when the ship left and his support network likely collapsed. To avenge his family he decided to take a shot at us, missed, panicked and tried to get away as quickly as possible, leaving the rifle.
I think this is a simple and likely explanation, much more likely to be true than anything that involves DeVries or Limosa, because the way the assassination attempt happened seems to amateurish for either of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Tomn has some good points, so I'll switch my B vote to B+E.
Lowell: do you prefer vote changes in their own posts or as edits to the original?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Give the sniper rifle to Tanya and get her training with that, Lord Sire can get his own rifle

I agree with Lanky Coconut Tree on this, Give the rifle to Tanya, personally I don't think it'd be of such great value to the Lord-Sire, since while it is of course super high quality, it's not something that would sell easily, so it just becomes an artifact lying around, without even the emotional attachment that the Filthy Lucre had to it, because it wasn't used by our founder.
Now, if our Lord-Sire had had a grudge against them it would be different, but we don't know anything about that, so I'd rather use it for our own benefit.

Edit: Also release the Nallanis

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Tran posted:

E: Inform Inquisitor Kozilek that the last surviving heir to a warrant of trade will be in need of training and a guiding hand. Waste not, want not.

The kid is nothing to us as an enemy or test subject, but to Kozilek he'll likely prove a very pleasant bonus.

I agree with this, so I'll vote E - Inform Kozilek, let's at least ask him if he'd be interested in the boy, we can still schedule movie night afterwards if Kozilek does not want him.
Even if the warrant of Trade was on the ship, having a claimant to it on hand might still be valuable to Kozilek.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

Slice of Life XXIV

“Mm. Mm! What is that?”
“Groxwurst. Infused with cognac that we harvested from a recent nebula.”

Nebulae of alcohol are a real thing :D http://www.cracked.com/article_20237_the-6-most-bizarre-things-ever-discovered-in-space.html

Heh, and at first I thought you had followed GreyHunter's Rogue Trader LP. :D

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

I dunno that one :D Im only finding youtube videos, is there a text log of it?
As far as I know there is no text log, but you can find the thread over here, which also contains tindeck links for the audio recordings, it's the kind of thing I listened to while doing chores and stuff. The reason I was wondering is that the players got stuck in a nebula made of alcohol at some point.

I'm also going the :bandwagon: of voting B+Servoskulls investigating

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A Darker Porpoise posted:

We don't have a squad of ultramarines to bail us out of this! :v:

This comment reminded me of the plot of DoW 2, and now I'm sad that we don't (yet?) have a personal Blood Raven, we would make the best magpies thieves acquisition agents :allears:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

Im heading to class in a few, I figure I can chomp out an update there or shortly after.

Meanwhile, I talked to Bonemonkey, and they seemed okay with commissioning some art for the fic.

So I'm pondering what scenes might be good.

-The vat battle with Abraxus
-Elevator fight with Psider
-Beast in orbit and drop pods
-Krieger giving you a gas mask

- Leading the SubSixers back to the surface
- Knitting circle with Skade and Sincera Pax
- pod mastiff racing
- Visiting a Krieger bar

But if it had to be one of the four above, it should be the Krieger giving Ohone a gas mask.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

Good Catch :D

With that reminder, I'll vote a B+A: We should investigate the Turkeys until we find some radio gear, salvage it and get out asap. Once we clear the storm, we should call in their location to either the guard or Lord-Sire (I think I'd prefer the latter, but he might not have the capacity to make get them and neither may the guard. Maybe we could use the make-shift drop pods we used to supply the Kriegers to drop in some pilots?).

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Personally I'm going to go with Option 1, who cares about titles and rewards in a backwards society, when we can usher in a new Dark Golden Age of Technology?
Also, we'd be all like this

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

I’ll expand the range of xeno production. Im adding in a viral code in case they become too independent.

Considering that only this one group of 'nids actually has the weakness for which we have a weapon, I don't think there is any point in keeping the data for later and offing an entire planet just to (potentially) get rid of Limosa is way too excessive.
So I'm going to vote One, D, No

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Putting patriotism before profit.

You people disgust me.

We better at least get a Fate point out of this.

A crusade that stalled because one of its major arteries and supply centres had to be Exterminatus'd is a crusade we will not be making any money from, gotta think long term here.
Plus sacrificing an entire planet when we have the means to stop it just for some extra profit is, while very rogue trader-y, pretty bad all things considered, I'd guess that this is the kind of destructive avarice over which Rogue Traders fall.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'm gonna guess Sincera.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

Sincera x x x x
Travers Schatten x x
LT Skade x
Commissar Fabiyan
Mother
Devries
Erasmus
Old Man Henderson
Matthais
De La Torres
Father Kraig
(Other options?)

Oh btw Lowell, is the caracter's name Matthias or Matthais? Since you have been using both spellings at time, I'm kinda curious which one is the typo.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

HiHo ChiRho posted:

A.
First off, Faybian is coming and is GOING TO MATCH US, drat IT

I agree with this, I think we should take every precaution to see this wedding go off smoothly, that includes preparing against any shenanigans potentially planned by DeVries. Personally I think we should play the long game re: DeVries and Amacita, the family can not afford to lose her as well, that of course does not mean that she should be independent, but her talents are required and I would hate to lose them.
So first off we should have Skade contact Fabiyan, make sure that he is matching our outfit.
Then we should have our retinue close by and monitor the party as much as possible, have some Krieger emergency medical units on standby, to rush in in case some medical emergency arises.
Also make sure that there is enough anti-SLUDGE serum for the VIPs at hand, just in case DeVries tries the same poo poo twice.
Maybe we could get some expert on poisons and similar agents to give us a list for those poisons DeVries would likely have access to through his IG channels and carry small doses of counteragents for the most likely ones on us. Maybe someone among the Nallani can help us there, as they would have the first hand experience in what they could get their hands on. Probably we should also see if Sincera can find out where the SLUDGE came from, considering that it's something that seems to come from Krieg, this could help us cut one of DeVries connections to the IG.
While at the party we should not make any obvious move to disturb the proceedings and make sure to play nice, so that any aggression by DeVries against us comes off as his fault. (Although he is most likely too good at what he does to do so)
I am worried though about Amacita's long-term survival, so I'd like to ask what the customs of the Beast are about people entering the family through marriage, since from the way the characters behaved it seems that even if Amacita drops dead the minute that she says yes, DeVries would still remain part of the family. So what would it take for him to be denied access? Would we have to prove that he planned her death to have him cast out or would there be easier options?
Maybe we could also try to trawl through prior cases of marriage annulment and the marriage customs to see if there is some legalistic loophole that we could exploit to postpone, discredit or cancel the wedding. Or is the process basically just that the Lord-Sire has to agree and that's it? (I'm thinking something like a minimum duration of residence aboard the Beast, some kind of pre-marriage rites or customs centuries old that need to be upheld or some more obscure stuff that would either postpone the wedding or make it appear less legitimate if it is not performed beforehand)

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Tomn posted:

Before we leave, a note: Kozilek's note says "GOING to Inquisitor Conclave," not "GO to Inquisitor Conclave." This suggests that someone is about to come for us to bring us up as a witness, rather than that we were ordered to break out. I think.
That's the way I read the note as well, so no to any attempt of breaking out, yes to upgrading the door's security for fun and profit.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

“Where do your loyalties lie? Family? Or Inquisition?”

Generally I think we should say something along the lines that we are loyal to the Imperium and its institutions, both family (since the family is part of the Imperium through the warrant of trade) and Inquisition, but that we also see that not every Inquisitor deserves the level of loyalty which the institution as a whole would receive.
Sadly I lack a nice way of saying this.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Waci posted:

Multiple have been suggested.

yeah, when I started typing the post there were only the first two answers :v:
I think we should go with "Yes" first and follow up with They have yet to conflict, Sire, since "Yes" is mostly snark and not any answer, and I don't see the Lord-Sire being in a mood for snark.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Personally I'd have thought that the question of succession would be on hold while we are at the Conclave, considering how all potential heirs are suspects in the death of Limosa, so they should be away from the Beast for the duration of the Conclave, so I'd like to ask Lowell what the proper process would be for the next Lord-Sire to be named. Because if it will only happen after the Conclave, then we don't need to rush into any wedding right now, because if we only need someone to assert our authority while we are away, we can give that job to Matthias, Sincera or Fabiyan, since they'd basically only need to make sure that nobody makes a grab for power while we are gone.
Personally I'd prefer to have things go down so that we first attend the Conclave, are proclaimed innocent, hopefully implicate DeVries and maybe take down Mr. Radical. Then we'd return to the Beast, marry Fabiyan and get him elected Lord-Sire, so that we can become Magos further down the line, but obviously that would depend upon the election(?) process not happening while we are at the Conclave.
So basically, this is a vote to Make sure DeVries is also among those required to attend the Conclave, implicate him there and get hitched later.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

Day in the life of Comissar Fabulous

Please let that day be the day he both was informed that he'd marry Ohone and actually married her, tia
(Because from the voting it seems like that is what is going to happen)

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

VanSandman posted:

'Sir, you're scheduled to attend a wedding in 12 hours.'
'Another one? Who's getting married this time.'
'You are, sir.'
'....what?'

Personally I like to imagine him waking up because somebody knocked on his door, opening the door and being immediately swept up by a swarm of servo-skulls which wash him, dress him and deliver him to Ohone waiting in front of the altar and being informed of the wedding literally in front of the altar. :D

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Grognan posted:

Screeching disney binary the entire time?

Yes, something similar to this should definitely happen, only you know, with servo skulls.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

Slice of Life XXXV
“Where is the power armor?”
“Ah… it says here “The Custodians” took it. No explanation.”
“Why wasn’t I notified?”
“I… I don’t know.”

:siren: Yes, the magpies are confirmed to be on board :D

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

As you looked around the settling crowd, you saw De La Torres give you a little smile and wave. You smiled back, and sat down next to her, fingers entwined. She was really only invited to this private ceremony due to her place in Ohone’s retinue, but you were still happy to see her. The politics aboard Ship were exhausting you both, and you really hadn’t seen each other enough.
Awww, Skade and De La Torres are sweethearts :3:

LowellDND posted:

You would have wondered how Amacita would have taken it - her initial power base had been those same Dregs - but she wasn’t doing well. She moved gingerly, and didn’t meet anyone’s eyes. When she sat down, she spoke to no one, and Devries made sure he stayed close to her. That was saddening, she had seemed so happy about him six months ago.
If for nothing else, DeVries must burn for this!

Also, while I'm sure that it's clear to everyone, I think we should make it an official announcement that Fabiyan speaks with our full support while we are away, and that his word is our word.

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 27, 2015

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Morand posted:

Jus caught up on things here. Have a question about the Lord Sire's funeral. I remember when he killed the cousin the mercenary captain that he'd said that every molecule of him would be spaced and he'd never be on the ship or help the family. It was very serious and presented as a grave sentence...

So why was the lord sire launched into a star? It seems counter to what he would have wanted and similar to the punishment he gave out. I thought he'd be used in the ship to keep helping the family as it was always presented as important to him. Even if being dumped into recyclers or whatever isn't as awesome a funeral scene to write

It's to get rid of the fake body that was cloned to fake his death, so that the Inquisition can't prove any foul play. :ssh:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

A. Interesting? How so?
B. Can you tell me about my trial?
C. What are the factions here? Who is important?

Ask ALL the questions!
Unless we already know the answer to C from Forbidden Lore: Inquisition

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Plan Tran. We need to work on turning this around against Siadwell. On the other hand, if Kozilek doesn't get in contact soon, he's pretty clearly abandoned us and we should ignore him.
Don't forget that we already have orders from Kozilek, so he is monitoring things, but from his personal reputation I think it's safe to assume that he will not make any public appearances.

LowellDND posted:

One day, the platter was slightly different. Indentations on the platter, in binary, held a message for you.
01. Orders: Going to Inquisitor Conclave. Prove innocence there. Prove Siadwell is heretic. -K

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'm going to go with D, let's stay the course of politicking.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

spend it and submit a ticket to the =][='s equivalent of an IT department

quote:

Deathtrap in corridor xyz is working, but machine spirit is vulnerable to simple Heartbleed exploit older than the Imperium, which renders threat negligible.
Suggest upgrading OpenSSL machine spirit

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Tran posted:

This is babby's first soft sell interrogation. E: Play along, but politely avoid giving away any information. Maybe a simple comment about how our inquisitor would probably rather keep it all a surprise will let us sidestep this initial trap.

It'll be difficult to outright get them to spill any secrets we can use on the others, but simply getting them talking gives a better idea of how to sway the electors.

I agree with this, maybe with a side of A, let's inquire about Kozilek like we would about Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, but not immediately, rather a bit further along in the conversation.
so E+A

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Redly posted:

Ohone: Wait, I'm the object in this bet. There's a high likelihood that I have inside information. Why would you let me bet and rake money off your uncertainty?

Haha, yes, please say this or something similar, I like it.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Personally I like these guys, they seem to be the most well adjusted of the bunch so far, even if they speak in half-answers, I guess that comes with the territory.
They also have goals that I feel align somewhat with ours, making the Inquisition an effectively run organisation instead of the squabbling mess of idiots it currently is, feels like somewhat that Ohone could get behind, plus they seem to be in pretty direct opposition to Siadwell with regards to their goals and methods, so I feel that they are unlikely to sell us out.
As such I would propose that we inform them that we believe that Siadwell is looking for a (specific) Eldar staff, and that the information he's searching for is likely its current location and leverage to get it from the Beast, let's see if we can't improve their predictions with that nugget.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

VanSandman posted:

If Miriam is Pax I will laugh so hard.
Personally I think Miriam is the ship's archivist. Creating an expert in The Beast's history for the express purposes of getting said expert on the Beast itself in a permanent position is prime Kozilek material.

Uh, I don't know why people are confused about Miriam:

LowellDND posted:

Reassurances

“Lord-Sire…”
He paused, before settling back in.
“I’ve never seen you do anything foolish. Please don’t do anything foolish now. Let’s think about it, what’s going on out there?”
“We’re still in Warp. Devries is building his powerbase. Amacita thinks she’s in love. Siadwell is tearing apart the Family Libraries. Miriam has sent me several distressed letters.”
“Miriam?”
“One of our librarians. Would rescue the books before the life support.”
“I know the type. Let me handle this situation. Don’t do anything drastic.”
She has been introduced to us by name at least, and I doubt we wouldn't recognize Sincera if we saw her on video.
The really interesting thing is that Miriam seems to have some importance to Herrion.
Once/If we have access to outside communications, we should get our retinue/Fabiyan to dig up information on her, see how long she has been on the ship etc.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Do whatever you can to get the thing Athena wants. Yes to trade.

I agree, yes to trade

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

It just occurred to me that killing us would very much serve Jazmine's goals, as it would potentially lead to open conflict between Gant and Siadwell, which might spill out even further and any attempt to get control of the Beast would be a lot bloodier and might erode some inquisitor's influence far enough that they have to rely on more open shows of force, which will encourage more counter-violence. So overall it seems like a pretty desirable result for her.
The kicker is however, that if we told her about Athena and she believed us, I'd imagine she'd immediately be one of our most fervent supporters, because imagine for a second how much poo poo Athena is gonna stir up :allears:

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 19, 2015

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

the "Daughter of Mars" thing at least, probably refers to use being a Tech-priest, seeing that the Mechanicus has their headquarters on Mars.

Something I would like everyone to consider is how the Inquisitors reacted to Miriam on tape:

LowellDND posted:

Black and white, a poor quality recording. You recognized a cargo bay of your ship - dozens of crates being filled and loaded with the Family files. Records, documents, books going back millenia. A few scribes were there, and Inquisitorial Guards watching them.

Herrion made a shocked noise. You turned to look at him. He spoke without seeming to notice. “Miriam.”
Everyone else looked at him, and then the scribe you recognized as one of yours. Then all of their faces went carefully blank.

“I don’t suppose you’ll share what that means.”
Edourd spoke carefully. “Whats important is that Siadwell is going through all your Family’s files. The longer the trial goes on, the more likely it is he’ll find whatever he’s looking for.”
“What do you think that is?”
They glanced at each other. “We couldn’t say.”

Miriam is probably the person the Eldar are talking about, at least it would fit with her being known to the Inquisitors.
It also fits with her unclear age, difficult to place accent and generally archaic, maybe even ancient clothing:

LowellDND posted:

She was garbed in archaic gear, all azure and pearl, with the old regalia and symbols of a Regiment you didn’t recognize. Miriam looked good for her age, whatever it was, although you couldn’t see any signs of Rejuv treatment. Instead, she had the smooth skin of good genetics, black hair falling from her in a careful ponytail. She looked at you through rectangular glasses, half buried in a fortress of books, and then glanced to her side. Relaxed and easy in the shadows, Sister Suffer. You could see her chainsaw held comfortably between her knees.

She smiled at you, shark like, but said nothing. You nodded amiably back. Like that, then.

“Well, Miriam. It seems they’ve ensnared you as well.”
“Yes Ma’am.” Her accent was hard to place. Tinged with High Gothic, perhaps an aristocrat or officer once upon a time. You wondered how she had ended up shuffling papers on your ship.
“What have they got you doing? Perhaps I can help.”
She glanced at you meaningfully. “A lot of the same books Limosa did.”
You blinked. “You knew him?”
“Yes, very well. He often visited the libraries, and we had similar interests.”
“Eldar, I’m guessing.”
“Yes Ma’am.”
So I'll assume for the time being that it's Miriam who the Eldar have been working with.

What I think we should do:
- indicate through non-audible means the presence of the wire to the Eldar (hand gestures, writing on the 40K version of an iPad, something along those lines)
- if they don't have any countermeasures (they likely have) get the book somewhere out of the way and then talk to them
- ask them how they want to help us and what our role will be fighting She who thirsts (This is apparently Slaanesh they are talking about there)
- try to find out what is so important about the staff that everyone is after it

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

No to the auction, we are on a schedule here, and we have a lot of purging to do.
Yes to the Drug Spire, let's probe their electronic security measures, try to get their data on drugs (either through hacking or some deals), I'm sure that Amacita won't be the only one DeVries has hooked on something.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Wow, I don't update the thread for one night, and Ohone goes from rising star of the Inquisition finishing off loose ends to nearly-Spacemarine purging everybody.
This is one of these situations where your update speed is kinda two-edged, on the one hand I LOVE how fast the action happens and how often there is new content, on the other I completely missed out on (several) major votes.
But what's done is done, I think the most satisfying way to go from here is to have the time-travel arc and end "this" Ohone's life by invading an alternate universe to stop that universe's Ohone from entering the bomb room and then entering it herself to be reunited with her Fabiyan. We would then switch perspective to that alt-Ohone
Alternatively, she could become a dimension hopping version of ourselves that hunts down deVries in as many alternate universes as possible to punish him for his sins across the multiverse, we could then take over one of the Ohones saved by her.
So I guess, this is a vote for No retcon, let's see where this leads us.

And since we are Ordo Malleus, I'd say a blank would be awesome to have against any demons we encounter, so let's get a Culexus if we can.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Hm. If you want to do time travel, but want Ohone to keep her memories and trauma... is there a mechanism in the lore that would allow Ohone to end up with her mind as it is now in her body as it was in the past? To cast her mind back through time and end up in her own body, as it may be, and undo her most grievous of errors while being fully aware of the consequences.

I was imagining that this Ohone would go back to the past and impact old Ohone somehow, who would become the new PC. But if this Ohone will time travel and continue to be the PC, maybe she can become more human physically again when she goes back. That's the whole point, isn't it, to retcon things.

If you want to do something like either of these things, then yes.
This is pretty much exactly my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Tran posted:

Write a dream for DeVries. Make him believe we've given in to his demand. Use fate to ensure success. We control his every perception, he's a brain in a box. We're not going to murder someone who went into literal hell for us to reward the one that made it all necessary.

This sounds like a good plan, hell, if neccessary burn fate, but don't give DeVries a new body