Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what should be done with the sea world orcas
keep them alive and tortured so that people can be entertained by them
they should be set free in nature where they will die
kill them
hmm...not sure op
View Results

• Locked thread
Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
SeaWorld probably had something to do with Michael Jackson's death. Think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Berious posted:

i think the whale they wanked was really mean too. wanking a pissed off whale is no way to earn a living

says you

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
profiting from suffering is the most american thing there is. quit whining you commies

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

tranime scholar posted:

profiting from suffering is the most american/russian/chinese/european thing there is. quit whining you commies

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
we inflict suffering way better than those other fags. they need to step up their game

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

rezatahs posted:

well yeah sure they hunt down and corral orca pods and then rip the calves from their families

but think of all the beneficial work they do!

By this logic no zoo shouldnt exist either and don't you start on that too. Zoos can teach kids about how the world is loving bigger than the back yard and that life is more diverse than cat, dog, raccoon

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why don't we just put children in cages and charge admission to see them and feed them Lucky Charms from a gumball machine?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

By this logic no zoo shouldnt exist either and don't you start on that too. Zoos can teach kids about how the world is loving bigger than the back yard and that life is more diverse than cat, dog, raccoon

Hmmm...

Do zoos decrease the lifespans of the animals placed in there? Serious question for realsies.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why don't we just put children in cages and charge admission to see them and feed them Lucky Charms from a gumball machine?

Why don't you just do this with goons? Give them a gaming rig with an internet connection and whatever console they want.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Zoos teach children important lessons like masturbating in public can be fun for everyone.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Rollofthedice posted:

Hmmm...

Do zoos decrease the lifespans of the animals placed in there? Serious question for realsies.

no they tend to increase it as long as proper care is provided. I'm biased because i live right by probably the US' best zoo.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rollofthedice posted:

Hmmm...

I think most captive animals live longer albeit shittier lives

I mean, having a consistent feeding schedule + healthcare is pretty much what extends any things life

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

cname posted:

Why don't you just do this with goons? Give them a gaming rig with an internet connection and whatever console they want.

You'll take my Wiimote when you pry it from my clammy Cheeto-encrusted hands.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

dontcareaboutname posted:

no they tend to increase it as long as proper care is provided. I'm biased because i live right by probably the US' best zoo.

Well then Seaworld's still bullshit because their Orca's life spans are decreased while in captivity there! Possible ethical quandary solved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_killer_whales#Disease_and_reduced_lifespan

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sega Saturn posted:

lol the whales at sea world don't even get that. sorry buddy yr also shamu

He means the orcas have names in orca tongue

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

He means the orcas have names in orca tongue

Need pictures of orca tongue

EDIT: Post haste

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
why do they have to jerk orcas off with a cow vagina filled with hot water?

can they not make a fleshlight for orca peens?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Need pictures of orca tongue

EDIT: Post haste

Have fun, weirdo.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Large mammals (both marine and land) lead drastically shorter lives in captivity than they do in the wild. This is mostly due to range. Whereas they can range hundreds if not thousands of miles per year in the wild, they can barely range hundreds of yards in captivity. Since they are engineered by evolution to range widely, they suffer serious physical and mental health issues in captivity.

The general rule is that if you can give an animal about the same range as it has in the wild, then you can prolong their lives. This is logistically impossible for large whales and elephants and the like.

BornOfMachine
Feb 17, 2006
Lord of the Fries

... i live right by probably the US' best zoo.

Yeah, but really who doesn't live near a walmart?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rollofthedice posted:

Have fun, weirdo.

My sweet Angeline...

EDIT: Is her name Angeline?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

BornOfMachine posted:

Yeah, but really who doesn't live near a walmart?

san diego zoo and wild animal park.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

My sweet Angeline...

EDIT: Is her name Angeline?

No, that's the photographer. The flickr I got it from I think says she's called 'Wikie', which is loving stupid.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Overwined posted:

Large mammals (both marine and land) lead drastically shorter lives in captivity than they do in the wild. This is mostly due to range. Whereas they can range hundreds if not thousands of miles per year in the wild, they can barely range hundreds of yards in captivity. Since they are engineered by evolution to range widely, they suffer serious physical and mental health issues in captivity.

The general rule is that if you can give an animal about the same range as it has in the wild, then you can prolong their lives. This is logistically impossible for large whales and elephants and the like.

Maybe they shouldn't be so loving stupid and get locked up then.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm not worried. I'm sure she'll whisper her real name into my ear...

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Shamu is 10 times more awesome now that he eats people on the reg.

They just need to promote him on that basis.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm not worried. I'm sure she'll whisper her real name into my ear...

Never mind jacking that thing off, imagine what that tongue can do! :gizz: :coolfish:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Serious Q: If we left all the Orcas alone and didn't capture them and didn't let the Japanese near them, would they be okay or is there something else out there that would kill them? I'm guessing they're the apex predator of the Odell Lake food chain, but I don't know what kind of crazy crap humans have done to the water that could be giving them all eternal blowhole cancer or whatever.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Blackfish is not news. Jaws 3(D) revealed that sharks at SeaWorld were eating people back in the 80s.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Naerasa posted:

Serious Q: If we left all the Orcas alone and didn't capture them and didn't let the Japanese near them, would they be okay or is there something else out there that would kill them? I'm guessing they're the apex predator of the Odell Lake food chain, but I don't know what kind of crazy crap humans have done to the water that could be giving them all eternal blowhole cancer or whatever.

they will all die someday, just enjoy what you have.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rollofthedice posted:

Never mind jacking that thing off, imagine what that tongue can do! :gizz: :coolfish:

It's called making love, you disgusting little prick.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Is this where I pretend to give a single gently caress about any of this to impress other goons?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You already impress me, little duckling.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

genghis.khan posted:

Is this where I pretend to give a single gently caress about any of this to impress other goons?

lurk less

you're learning too much

Chelb fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 15, 2014

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007
Every time this topic comes up, some goon - I think the SAME goon - comes in and goes: "NUT-UH, that documentary was bullshit. MY FAMILY works in Seaworld and they..."

And then they're asked to clarify why it's bullshit and what their family thinks the documentary misrepresented and they disappear.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
so is this only affecting the san diego one? im assuming that dumb fucks in fl dont care their being mistreated

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
my uncle works at seaworld and he said they replaced all the orcas with animatronic ones so its ok to go there now

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
my mom works at seaworld. all the sardines she can eat

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Did you know the white things on the sides of an Orca's head aren't their eyes? Food for thought ya know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Naerasa posted:

they face the laws of nature obv. if a bunch of orcas overpopulate an area and wipe out their food supply they'll either leave or die until the area gets repopulated again. a lot of controls on stuff like that were already implemented by G-d when he created life as we know it. look at how many herrings are born in the span it takes for a orca to gestate and fall out of his mom's vagina

pretty sure that orcas are the top of the food chain though and only have to deal with predators when they're old/young/sick, other members of their species, or getting mauled by some bigger prey like other whales

• Locked thread