Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

College Slice

Usually the host does takeout because they actually get paid min wage. Tipping then becomes the bonus it should be and not the subsidation of wages by cheap resturant owners that it has become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

College Slice

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'm a bartender. I work at a 4 diamond resort, and I am only paid $4.50 an hour by the house. I'm the son of a bitch who has to handle you and your takeout order. When you place that order, I have to walk out of my bar, away from my paying customers, and go expo and package your food myself. In contrast, the people sitting at the bar? Kitchen staff plate their food and deliver it. So it's significantly more work for me to prepare a takeout order than it would be if you dined inside the restaurant.

Fun fact: To compensate for undeclared cash tips, my employer calculates my income taxes based on 15% of food sales, including takeout, rather than basing it on the tips I declare. So when you stiff me on a takeout order, I still have to pay income tax on the tip you didn't leave me. You're literally making me pay for the privilege of getting stiffed by you. This practice is blatantly illegal and immoral, and there is nothing anyone can do about it because a pissant food and beverage worker has no leverage to negotiate with a multi-national company who pulls in $500 million a year, especially when you have mandatory binding arbitration written into your employment contract.

If you can't afford to leave a tip, you can't afford to eat at a restaurant, and you need to take your broke, cheap rear end to a grocery store, food pantry, or soup kitchen, whichever fits your scenario. What you don't need to do is go and pick the loving pocket of someone who's busting their rear end to take care of you and feed you. I go out of my way to do great work, but I have my limits. If you stiff people on takeout orders, you're a subhuman piece of bipedal refuse, and you should make like the genie and kill yourself ASAP.
Sounds like your employer is loving you. You should quit.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

College Slice

Arian_Samurai posted:

Yeah, I don't think you have to pay taxes on income you haven't earned.

It's a funny thing. When I worked as a bartender you had two choices....you could keep track of every tip and claim it as income, or you can simplify it and claim some percentage of sales (10-15%) as a proxy. Usually you would claim the proxy because it 95% of the time worked out in your favor. The problem is most people want to have their cake and eat it too and bitch when the proxy sometimes fucks them (like when they get stiffed once in a while). Then they say "Oh poo poo, your are literally taking money out of my pocket, man" forgetting that they've been underpaying on their taxes in every other case.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

College Slice

FogHelmut posted:

i mean i really can't comment on the tax situations of wait staff because i've never been desperate enough to dance for nickles as libertarians clucked their tongues at my submissive position to a slavedriving food network chef-owner wannabe

It's actually not that bad. People believe they need to tip huge, and it's mostly tax free money. I made mad bank as a bartender, it was a great time.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

College Slice

Like the chefs give a gently caress about tips...they actually get a real salary, so they don't need to be subsidized.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

College Slice

HAHAHAHA, yeah you tip out the bar, and MAYBE the busboys, but the cooks? Never heard or seen that. Most places that don't go bankrupt in 1-2 years actually pay their cooks so the food is edible.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

College Slice

Freshman posted:

Yeah cuz that's what I do when I go to work all day is open beers, that's pretty much bartending in a nutshell

1. open beer
2. wait 30 seconds
3. profit

When I was a bartender I would say 80%+ of my tips came from opening beers, so yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

College Slice

I love when I make a delivery order online, the tip is a line item and there is still an empty TIP line at the bottom. Like yeah, I'm going to tip you twice.

• Locked thread