Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

SquadronROE posted:

Nothing in the rule book says this: Can you move diagonally? Is it 2 movement points?

Pretty sure it explicitly does say you can move diagonally or orthogonal in the starter rule book, for no additional movement points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

SquadronROE posted:

Nothing in the rule book says this: Can you move diagonally? Is it 2 movement points?

Its in the book. Diagonal movement is the same as orthogonal movement. Bottom left of page 5

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

alg posted:

Its in the book. Diagonal movement is the same as orthogonal movement. Bottom left of page 5

Ah, I missed that. Thanks.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

As another note, large figures (denoted as anything not 1x1) can only move orthogonally and must pay 1 movement point to rotate around to fit somewhere.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Just played the starting scenario and a skirmish. Really fun game. Royal guards own hard.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Impasse is $65 at the LGS' post Xmas sale today so I might get it.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Chill la Chill posted:

Impasse is $65 at the LGS' post Xmas sale today so I might get it.

It's a lot of game, and I think it's worth it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Just preordered Armada because I have poor impulse control. Wonder if nothing but victories will be a viable build.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Just preordered Armada because I have poor impulse control. Wonder if nothing but victories will be a viable build.

I preordered from Amazon, I hope they honor the price...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Amazon always gives you the lowest price over the life of your preorder.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Finally got to play Impass tonight. I really thought I had them on the ropes in the intro mission. The E-Web wounded someone and took another person down to almost wounded. Then they killed all my guys in one turn....

It came down to the wire, though. They had 1 activation to get the last terminal in the last round. Nobody felt like the game was unfair and the rolling is fun. They definitely want to play again!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

One thing that irks me with ImpAss is the campaign books mission layout on each page. I wish it was separated better instead of just a clump of bullet points with random poo poo the rebel player is allowed to know scattered around. Also this poo poo is written like a friggin legal document. Is it just me?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I just preordered from Amazon too. That's a great price.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

That's $40 cheaper than the best local post-xmas sale price right now, even including shipping. I think I might have to part with some xmas gift money for that.

They don't have any of the expansions up for preorder yet?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

NTRabbit posted:

That's $40 cheaper than the best local post-xmas sale price right now, even including shipping. I think I might have to part with some xmas gift money for that.

They don't have any of the expansions up for preorder yet?

I looked, couldn't find the Victory by ISBN or the FFG id, so idk

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

zVxTeflon posted:

One thing that irks me with ImpAss is the campaign books mission layout on each page. I wish it was separated better instead of just a clump of bullet points with random poo poo the rebel player is allowed to know scattered around. Also this poo poo is written like a friggin legal document. Is it just me?

Fantasy Flight rule books are never the most organized things...they have a really bad habit of formatting everything as a teaching exercise that introduces you to points one at a time....which is fantastic for learning how to play but terrible for future lookups and rule checks.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

I know I'm tempted to spiral bind the campaign guide because I don't want this info just all over the place. The Imperial player almost needs a drat DM screen.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Feeple posted:

It's a lot of game, and I think it's worth it.

I did not arrive in time to get one. Some guys were probably at the shop when it opened the day after Xmas. I had forgotten they do this sale every year.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Well i'm getting ImpAss pretty soon here, are there any commonly missed/not very well explained rules that i should watch out for?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Line of Sight is a bitch, and you should definitely define well beforehand how your group is going to use it. Even the examples in the book don't cover everything, and it's incredibly frustrating when folks disagree over what constitutes cover. I don't particularly like the book definitions, quite honestly. There is exactly zero in between stage from completely unable to be targeted and open season, which bugs me quite a bit considering that there are situations where your figure can be 90% hidden behind a wall and still be shot as if they're standing right out there in the open.

Personally, I'd really, really like some sort of house rule where if you're 'in cover' where at least two of your character's space's edges are obscured you get to add a black defense die, or something like that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Strobe posted:

Line of Sight is a bitch, and you should definitely define well beforehand how your group is going to use it. Even the examples in the book don't cover everything, and it's incredibly frustrating when folks disagree over what constitutes cover. I don't particularly like the book definitions, quite honestly. There is exactly zero in between stage from completely unable to be targeted and open season, which bugs me quite a bit considering that there are situations where your figure can be 90% hidden behind a wall and still be shot as if they're standing right out there in the open.

Personally, I'd really, really like some sort of house rule where if you're 'in cover' where at least two of your character's space's edges are obscured you get to add a black defense die, or something like that.

I agree this would work as an optional rule. I can see why they didn't do it this way. They want a fast paced action game. The tedium of checking corners each time you attack and a game based on cover, where everyone tries to end their movement hiding as much as possible, would be a boring way to play by default.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

I agree this would work as an optional rule. I can see why they didn't do it this way. They want a fast paced action game. The tedium of checking corners each time you attack and a game based on cover, where everyone tries to end their movement hiding as much as possible, would be a boring way to play by default.

Infinity, gears of war, and paintball are all good games. But yes this is just a game mechanic decision and each has pros and cons. I do think that Star Wars lends itself to less cover-based systems. I'd say fast and action-paced, but that covers paintball and it's all about cover in that game.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Well i'm getting ImpAss pretty soon here, are there any commonly missed/not very well explained rules that i should watch out for?

Make sure the Imp players knows what he can and cant tell the rebel player in the campaign

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

alg posted:

Strictly speaking you already check corners every time you attack as part of determining LOS in the first place. All my proposed amendment would do is give characters that are partially obscured some advantage to good positioning.

It also makes regular Imperial troops less hosed-in-the-rear end by Rebels with their white dice since they could get a second black and not crumple in moments. The difference in defensive capability between black and white dice is absurd, especially since it feels like 90% of Rebel characters get white dice and their 1/6 chance to dodge all damage period.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Strobe posted:

Strictly speaking you already check corners every time you attack as part of determining LOS in the first place. All my proposed amendment would do is give characters that are partially obscured some advantage to good positioning.

It also makes regular Imperial troops less hosed-in-the-rear end by Rebels with their white dice since they could get a second black and not crumple in moments. The difference in defensive capability between black and white dice is absurd, especially since it feels like 90% of Rebel characters get white dice and their 1/6 chance to dodge all damage period.

Well this seems to stay true to the star wars canon. Ie storm troopers can't aim for poo poo

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The white defense die gives a 1/6 chance to dodge all incoming damage, period.

Even Darth Vader's saber, or an E-Web laying down what otherwise would be eight hits. Had that one happen in a game. Was not happy in the slightest. There are exactly three characters on the Imperial side with white defense dice. Imperial Officers of both the normal and Elite variety, and then the Royal Guard Champion. Not even Darth loving Vader has the chance to wholly avoid an attack in this game. In contrast, in one skirmish I played five out of the six Rebel characters had white dice, and the one that didn't was a three point gimmick that gave folks extra movement speed and a focus every turn. That's insane in terms of buffs on the small skirmish map and with Imperial characters being as fragile as they are.

Skirmish is not balanced. At all. Imperials need all the help they can get, and getting an extra black die while in cover is at least a step toward that.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Isn't the whole point of Imperial Assault taking a party of named Rebels against a shitload of unnamed bad guys (with occasional named baddie) and seeing what happens? I mean it wouldn't be mega thematic if a Stormtrooper blew away a PC every round.

That being said, shouldn't the Rebels have some generic trooper grunts and stuff to use in Skirmish?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Probably. As is, it's still lots of Imperial grunts against Luke Skywalker and Han Solo and their merry band of scoundrels and Jedi.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So when during the campaign do the Imps get the AT-AT and AT-ST's? My brother plays Imps in X-Wing and he was really excited to play this purely for the chance to use them on me.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

AT-AT never
AT-ST within the first few campaign missions.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Amazon Germany has armada listed at 60€ so I ordered two packs. :neckbeard:

Now I just need to talk some friends into playing it.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

LOS is a bit problematic, yes, but once you start playing and begin to "grok" it, it's well designed for the kinds of fights seen in the films, where people pop up, shoot, and dive back down.

Realize as the Imperial player that, just like a GM in an RPG, your job isn't to "win" all the time (although never pass up the opportunity if it's presented,) but to really put the pressure on the Rebels. Skirmish is much more balanced between players, but the campaign makes it very hard to kill Rebels, especially after the first few missions. I'm playing with a full party full of dudes who I know to be pretty smart players, and they work very collaboratively. Threat is an amazing tool to use, as you can add reinforcements to a battle by spending that Threat. My players quickly realized that anytime I have 18 threat up, Vader could drop and ruin their poo poo (the ability to add him to your hand is a 1 Influence card.) Honestly, Wiess and IG-88 are absolute motherfuckers due to the Arsenal rule, and Vader can really threaten the Rebels.

Overall, treating this more like an RPG and less like a boardgame makes the campaign really come alive, I think. I haven't tried Skirmish, but it sounds pretty solid.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I am absolutely trying to win as the Imperial. It's more fun that way for everyone in my group.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

the panacea posted:

Amazon Germany has armada listed at 60€ so I ordered two packs. :neckbeard:

Now I just need to talk some friends into playing it.
It's that much on Amazon UK too, oddly.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
Trying to win as imperials isn't even all that bad - it's not super likely that you will win every mission, but, every mission does have a failure result, and for story missions, it opens up a new mission. you won't see descent-like "PLAYERS LOSE". instead you'll see "All players wounded -> 1 xp and add mission x"

We're about halfway through the first campaign, and I've just got two players - so they have an additional activation each, and +10 hp. There's definite moments where having additional characters would benefit them more, and definite moments where they have an advantage over four single-activation characters, but it shakes out pretty well. They've lost two of the missions, one story and one side mission, and it's been really good to have those losses in there, as it ensures that the stakes for each mission are understood to be more than lip service.

As the Imperial, I've had a lot of fun both stumping and being stumped by the Rebels. There's some definite power pieces that can be just brutal for the players to deal with - The Royal Guard Champion is the big one, but elite Trandoshans that get to spawn close to the PCs are also rough. I've actually gotten a lot of mileage out of the elite stormtroopers, as well, I've geared my upgrades towards cheaper, better stormtroopers, and it's been a lot of fun seeing them go from chumps in the first couple missions, to three-man terror squads that the players have to deal with quickly.

It's a fun game.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Need some spoilers on the class card lists up in here.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I usually don't have trouble with FFG manuals, but I feel that there is a complete lack of detail in setting up as the Imperial player. Perhaps it's because the game is new so I have no visual video evidence to check on YouTube, but I can't help but think that there is an entire rule book missing.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I usually don't have trouble with FFG manuals, but I feel that there is a complete lack of detail in setting up as the Imperial player. Perhaps it's because the game is new so I have no visual video evidence to check on YouTube, but I can't help but think that there is an entire rule book missing.

You have to refer all over the place. They have switched to this Rules Reference Guide system for their games and it makes learning to play just awful

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
All you have to do is read through the quick play book once and you know all the basics, then look at the reference for any rules questions that come up. Was pretty simple for my group and I to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Session 2 down:

I won a game as an Imperial last night! Despite that, man is this frustrating as the Imperial player sometimes. The Wookie and Jedi are straight up fuckers. I've nicknamed the Wookie "Surge-enomics," as he just seems to get surges all over the place, and it feels like one of those scams where someone tries to make change with you and ends up ahead. The other players are telling me it's legit, but jeez it's hard pinning him down. And Force Throw not allowing any defense roll just sucks out loud.

The Smuggler and Jedi have done their personal missions completed, so now I also have a lightsaber and Madam Shoots First, too. Jeesh! Despite all that, I do enjoy myself and have a lot of fun. I just think that next time someone ELSE gets to play Imperial. :D