Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I thought it was an oddly phrased announcement. If the game isn't selling well, why reprint?

I suspect that between the studio move and covid that the design schedule has gone out of the window. Also, China is having a sorts of power supply and materials issues not to mention the global shipping nightmare so just keeping things in stock is going to be a challenge for everyone right now.

They may just be taking a pragmatic approach of trying to consolidate. Focus development on the main lines while reducing the amount of new stuff to be manufactured on top of restocking existing products nobody can find reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The rumors I have been hearing is that since Asmodee bought FFG, they basically gutted the company. Handing the miniatures games off to AMG was a bit of a last ditch effort to salvage those game lines. Problem is, AMG doesn’t have the dev manpower to develop for all the miniatures games they now have. So Armada is the first one to be put on hold while they focus on the more popular games.

Since it still has a sizeable fan base, might as well try to take advantage of that with reprinting older ships. No clue if they are even going to try a balance pass of the older ships, or just do a straight reprint.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Orvin posted:

The rumors I have been hearing is that since Asmodee bought FFG, they basically gutted the company. Handing the miniatures games off to AMG was a bit of a last ditch effort to salvage those game lines. Problem is, AMG doesn’t have the dev manpower to develop for all the miniatures games they now have. So Armada is the first one to be put on hold while they focus on the more popular games.

Since it still has a sizeable fan base, might as well try to take advantage of that with reprinting older ships. No clue if they are even going to try a balance pass of the older ships, or just do a straight reprint.

Asmodee have basically carved up FFG and moved all of the non-boardgame/card game products to other parts of the organisation. AMG have all the wargames, someone else got the RPG's etc.

Initially some of the product leads from FFG for the Star Wars games went with their games to AMG, but now they have all reportedly been let go.

Asmodee appear to want leaner, more focused companies under their umbrella. Obviously cost cutting is going to be a factor, hopefully it isn't the only reason driving all this.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Imagine finding out ten years from now that Asmodee just had one really spiteful Valerian and Laureline fan on the board of directors

Btw, thanks for the tips goons

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Anyone have an Armada Light Cruiser and/or Imperial Raider Expansion they'd sell?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
No, but I have an X-wings raider that I don't want, you can try running it through the wash a few times

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

smug jeebus posted:

No, but I have an X-wings raider that I don't want, you can try running it through the wash a few times

X-Wing Raider = budget Executor

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Didn't see an Armada thread, so posting here:

Is Armada dead? I mean, not in the sense of a competitive community or whatever, I mean in the sense of "is this still in production"?

I haven't followed any of the non-RPG Star Wars stuff since FFG kinda imploded a couple years ago. Armada's always interested me and I'm thinking of picking up the core set on a lark.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Drone posted:

Is Armada dead? I mean, not in the sense of a competitive community or whatever, I mean in the sense of "is this still in production"?

I haven't followed any of the non-RPG Star Wars stuff since FFG kinda imploded a couple years ago. Armada's always interested me and I'm thinking of picking up the core set on a lark.

Nothing new is in the pipeline for 2022 but they said they will continue printing existing products and will apparently come out with OP content/support

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Drone posted:

FFG imploded? My read was that Asmodee decided they were too expensive to pay to do the job, so they took all of the Star Wars miniature games and gave them to a studio under their umbrella that had a single game (that wasn’t even a proven success)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Imploding is usually a thing that happens when the internal/external pressure balance swings in favour of the external, so it's not inaccurate to say that FFG imploded. It's just not necessarily the usual nerd meaning of "shat itself with internal drama".

Can't say that didn't also happen though...

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Yeah, it's more that Asmodee gutted it: they pulled out all of FFG's miniatures lines, all of their RPG lines, killed some of their other games like most of their LCGs, tanked their customer support and closed off basically all communication with their customer base.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Drone posted:

By all accounts, Armada has no future. It may not be technically dead, but there is zero development of any new product. The company that Asmodee handed the game off too, Atomic Mass Games, either fired all the creative people, or just didn’t bring them over. I play some Armada with some ex-Armada play testers (they play tested all the clone wars stuff), and they all reached out to the new company to see if they wanted/needed play testers. But there was crickets from AMG.

There have been a couple of poorly designed events to come out of AMG, but that is probably all you are going to see come out of that company. They literally don’t have the staff to deal with everything Asmodee dumped on them, and Armada drew one of the many short straws.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Orvin posted:

By all accounts, Armada has no future. It may not be technically dead, but there is zero development of any new product. The company that Asmodee handed the game off too, Atomic Mass Games, either fired all the creative people, or just didn’t bring them over. I play some Armada with some ex-Armada play testers (they play tested all the clone wars stuff), and they all reached out to the new company to see if they wanted/needed play testers. But there was crickets from AMG.

There have been a couple of poorly designed events to come out of AMG, but that is probably all you are going to see come out of that company. They literally don’t have the staff to deal with everything Asmodee dumped on them, and Armada drew one of the many short straws.

They seem to be doing a bang up job of re-designing X-wing into the ground, we should probably be thankful they don't have resources to mess with Armada.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I think Armada got left in a decent-ish place purely by accident.

I haven’t seen a whole list of x-wing changes (because AMG seems content to trickle them out in video, rather than post them all at once together), but it isn’t sounding terribly good.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yea I think Armada got left in a decent-ish place purely by accident.

I haven’t seen a whole list of x-wing changes (because AMG seems content to trickle them out in video, rather than post them all at once together), but it isn’t sounding terribly good.

Can you expand on the current state of X-Wing? I got into it in 2015 when it was really blowing up and gave it up in 2018, just before 2.0 came out, but for unrelated reasons. I heard from some friends who were really into it that they actually liked the direction they took 2.0, so what's changed?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Where I was aramada was completley dead outside five or so very dedicated guys who would show up for OP. And this was like 2018.
It's too bad because I actually liked armada more than x wing (the ships were big enough that I could disassemble them and add LEDs, I had my MKII's painted as killer whales. And then you could just add a million dice to your attack pools.

But it was a nightmare to setup and it really REALLY was not suited for OP.
Thematic story time? Sure. But the OP standard was awful.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

MeinPanzer posted:

Can you expand on the current state of X-Wing? I got into it in 2015 when it was really blowing up and gave it up in 2018, just before 2.0 came out, but for unrelated reasons. I heard from some friends who were really into it that they actually liked the direction they took 2.0, so what's changed?
They are making some fundemental changes to the game in the hope of making it more thematic/less punishing in terms of mistakes, as well as making some weird changes to tournament structure. The most notables of these are changing tournaments to be based on Margin of Victory over total wins (which is a thing that Armada OP did and it was awful there), as well as making initiative determination random after you set your dials, along with making bumping less punishing by allowing range 0 shooting/allowing the ship that bumped to focus as an action even though it bumped.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

To be fair thst last part is still only a maybe.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Locally Armada is going stronger than Xwing. Armada has a really strong core group, whereas Xwing used to be 3-4 times bigger but nowadays seems to only have a few players. Legion has probably the most players, but typical of wargames, they are very dispersed, and even for event don't all come together.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I understand that it's capitalism and events and all, but I still can't help but be a little disgruntled that no new models in the pipeline means a game is dead, especially late-stage where there's already a shitload of content. Like, if the game's good, it should still be playable as-is, right?

That said, I am a bit bummed that the Clone Wars sides didn't get more fleshed out. One of my buddies is big on prequels and was looking forward to a big Separatist fleet.

Drone posted:

Check eBay or local listings for used kit; sometimes that can be a great deal on getting Armada stuff.

Be aware that the core set doesn't give you enough stuff for a complete 400 point list. It's really more of an intro to the basic game mechanics and an assortment of useful tools (like the maneuver tool, range ruler, etc). If you have a buddy who also is interested and decides they want to get in after playing a game or two with you, you can do a second core set and then divvy it up between yourselves; that's what a friend and I did, he got the Imperial ships while I got the Rebels.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I understand that it's capitalism and events and all, but I still can't help but be a little disgruntled that no new models in the pipeline means a game is dead, especially late-stage where there's already a shitload of content. Like, if the game's good, it should still be playable as-is, right?
Problem is it starts getting harder and harder to find bits for it, so if someone wants to get into it they're poo poo out of luck. I've got all I need to play the old West End wargame now if I wanted, because you just need toy mans and the rulebook, but the FFG model of cards and tokens out the wazoo means you can't just grab whatever works and roll with that quite so easily.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Arquinsiel posted:

Problem is it starts getting harder and harder to find bits for it, so if someone wants to get into it they're poo poo out of luck. I've got all I need to play the old West End wargame now if I wanted, because you just need toy mans and the rulebook, but the FFG model of cards and tokens out the wazoo means you can't just grab whatever works and roll with that quite so easily.

AMG has been upfront about continuing to produce/actually being able to have existing SKUs/product for Armada on shelves though, so this seems like it should result in the exact opposite of a dead game by this description.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Stores like to have the New Shiny on shelves as much as possible, and FFG were never great at keeping everything available at once before this anyway. It's just a couple more minor factors that add up when deciding if it's worth taking a risk.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Arquinsiel posted:

Stores like to have the New Shiny on shelves as much as possible, and FFG were never great at keeping everything available at once before this anyway. It's just a couple more minor factors that add up when deciding if it's worth taking a risk.

Honestly this is the big problem with Armada from my store-owner perspective. I really like the game and big ships so I have tons of it myself but I had to stop stocking it because it’s expensive, shelf-intensive single pieces that move really slowly individually.

Of course LGS sales aren’t the be-all end-all, and my store being in a smaller town makes it even harder to justify, but even when I was in a bigger store and Armada was new it quickly became barely worth stocking given the size of the range vs the size of the player base. And Armada feels like a game you’d really want to be in LGSes between the table size needs and the opponent needs.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea we hit the “nobody plays because there’s nobody to play against” spiral pretty quick at my old game shop for Armada. X-wing held out longer, Legion never really took hold (because of all the 40k players that didn’t feel any need to play anything else :v: )

e: I miss playing it, I painted my rebel fighters and barely ever got to play with them.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 20, 2021

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Armada is still being kept in print, so long as it keeps selling then AMG will eventually put out more content.

They simply couldn't go from just supporting MCP to MCP plus three different Star Wars games all at once. They had to put something on the back burner and Armada is the obvious choice.

Hopefully they will be able to announce something for it in 2022 so it doesn't go 18months plus with no news, otherwise it may well be destined for the history books at that point.

Most of the current Star Wars stuff in the pipeline right now was started under FFG, it takes time to pivot studios.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

They haven't even released the iconic 20 AT-TEs maglocked to an asteroid ship for the Republic yet, I'm sure it's coming eventually

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

They haven't even released the iconic 20 AT-TEs maglocked to an asteroid ship for the Republic yet, I'm sure it's coming eventually

Not quite the same, but about as close as you are ever going to get. Firing artillery out of your docking bay on a Venator.

https://starwars-armada.fandom.com/wiki/SPHA-T

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I am sad that they never released a dreadnought cruiser model. For some reason that ship is one of my favorite star wars designs, and it'd make sense as an all faction ship even. (well maybe not CIS but whatever) Just sad it'll probably never get it's day.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Found a pic of my Ghost for Armada. This took loving forever to paint, fixing all the little details and such. Glad it’s done, won’t ever try to do it again :)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Looks great though.

Eimi posted:

I am sad that they never released a dreadnought cruiser model. For some reason that ship is one of my favorite star wars designs, and it'd make sense as an all faction ship even. (well maybe not CIS but whatever) Just sad it'll probably never get it's day.
You can get one from Mel's Miniatures on Shapeways if you really need it. I do love the design myself and have been tempted to get his Micro Machines scale one for ages.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
Looks great though.

You can get one from Mel's Miniatures on Shapeways if you really need it. I do love the design myself and have been tempted to get his Micro Machines scale one for ages.

Christ, I don’t know why I went searching for this person. Now I need all those ships.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah I end up that way too. I make giant baskets and then look at the cost and :smith:

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
Edit: said to much

Lake Jucas fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 27, 2021

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

By all accounts AMG don't seem to react well to criticism.

In the Shadow Collective legion reveal they showed off a Mando Fett and I'm pretty sure claimed it to be the first Legion mini started entirely under AMG.

All the Shadow Collective stuff was said to be started under FFG and finished by AMG. I imagine they meant finished by the FFG staff they kept on for a few months at AMG.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Ugleb posted:

By all accounts AMG don't seem to react well to criticism.

I don't disagree, but holy hell expectations were nigh impossible.

Taking of development for three major games when you just got your one baby off the ground is difficult, combine it with the (seemingly) bizarre hiring/firing/staff shuffling, I can understand how AMG didn't handle it super gracefully. Not taking their side on it or anything, but that was a move that made sense to Asmodee that, on the boots-on-ground scale was complete bedlam.

For example, just dropping an "FYI, Star Wars is moving from FFG to AMG lol" press leak one day and not having AMG and FFG on deck to discuss it day of, let alone several people actively working at these places not having advance notice of this, was an absolute error.

Then, messaging got all screwy until they started streaming chats about it, and things started to calm a bit.

Then the *actual* updates happened.

The Battle for Kashyyyk was a great concept for Legion spoiled by COVID and Asmodee's usual supply chain problems.

X Wing was overall divided on their updates to determining priority.

Armada isn't over, but boy howdy was the sky falling in Amrada for a while (and still is.)

My personal opinion is Armada is the most interesting of the three to play, but is the hardest to execute on, to an extent because of its complexity and balance, but also because Star Wars doesn't actually have all that many capital star ships. The vast majority of ships are for crews between 1 and 5 people. Star Trek would have had a lot more room for growth and innovation in the Armada engine, but WizKids gonna Wiz, and jumped on the X wing engine, and made Star Trek a...dogfighting game.

sigh

Anyway, yeah, AMG hasn't done the best, and I don't think the community is making a mountain out a mole hill (entirely), but I don't think it's because AMG is some big meanie that love to drink nerd tears. I think moving each game, one at a time, once every 6 months or so to help iron out issues, and road map stuff for the community would have been really helpful to ease a lot of these tensions.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Feeple posted:

I don't disagree, but holy hell expectations were nigh impossible.

Taking of development for three major games when you just got your one baby off the ground is difficult, combine it with the (seemingly) bizarre hiring/firing/staff shuffling, I can understand how AMG didn't handle it super gracefully. Not taking their side on it or anything, but that was a move that made sense to Asmodee that, on the boots-on-ground scale was complete bedlam.

For example, just dropping an "FYI, Star Wars is moving from FFG to AMG lol" press leak one day and not having AMG and FFG on deck to discuss it day of, let alone several people actively working at these places not having advance notice of this, was an absolute error.

Then, messaging got all screwy until they started streaming chats about it, and things started to calm a bit.

Then the *actual* updates happened.

The Battle for Kashyyyk was a great concept for Legion spoiled by COVID and Asmodee's usual supply chain problems.

X Wing was overall divided on their updates to determining priority.

Armada isn't over, but boy howdy was the sky falling in Amrada for a while (and still is.)

My personal opinion is Armada is the most interesting of the three to play, but is the hardest to execute on, to an extent because of its complexity and balance, but also because Star Wars doesn't actually have all that many capital star ships. The vast majority of ships are for crews between 1 and 5 people. Star Trek would have had a lot more room for growth and innovation in the Armada engine, but WizKids gonna Wiz, and jumped on the X wing engine, and made Star Trek a...dogfighting game.

sigh

Anyway, yeah, AMG hasn't done the best, and I don't think the community is making a mountain out a mole hill (entirely), but I don't think it's because AMG is some big meanie that love to drink nerd tears. I think moving each game, one at a time, once every 6 months or so to help iron out issues, and road map stuff for the community would have been really helpful to ease a lot of these tensions.

Oh, I agree with everything you just said. This was a case of corporate making a decision and failing to consult with their departments on how to make it work before going public.

Then ramming it through on an unrealistically short timescale. Very likely because the venture capitalists are selling Asmodee to another VC group and want to make it look more valuable somehow.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Feeple posted:

Ehhhh, I'm not so sure about Star Trek having that many more starships to bring to the table. Sure, there's a shitload of weird kitbash Federation ships in the canon in addition to the hero ships, but the other space countries only have a handful of ship classes each.

The Rebels have eleven different ship models and the Empire has ten (I'm not counting the Chimaera paint job ISD as a separate model lol). I think for a Star Trek equivalent you'd have to basically make the game Feds vs Everyone Else.

Also to be honest I feel like the Rebel and Imperial fleets are pretty well fleshed-out at this point. I'm not sure what niches are left to fill there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Trek probably has more ship classes overall, but they're not from the same time frame.

Though there's TONS of beta canon for Trek with an ungodly number of ships to draw from for every faction.