Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

the ability to play off color with a tax was a thing in BT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It may have worked better there with the colours letting you stack up the resources on the cards though. Still, interesting to see that sort of mechanic being used again.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
You can say what you will about the art, the layout, or FFG’s viability, but SWU is good. Three different stores in my area had events firing tonight, looks like two more stores tomorrow.

Went 2-1 and claimed some store credit. Lost my first match against an upgraded starter; as Green Iden playing against a Relentless just broke me.

Second two matches were against Blue Thrawn and Red Thrawn. 55 minutes doesn’t feel like enough time for two control to face off, even with each player going fast. Even so, Iden just dominated.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I've played a dozen or so games with the starter decks, but it's fun. The only other card game I'm playing is Flesh&Blood, and it seems like FFG are also doing the "you must play in person, online clients are against our philosophy" thing. Being able to play online and practice consistently makes your whole playerbase better at the game.

I'm looking at building control with either Iden or Vader once I get ahold of some cards. None of my LGS did a pre-release, but last weekend the owner of one of them was teaching people how to play. Hopefully we can get some events going.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
There's a thriving tts community, and force table is good for essentially goldfishing.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

What does goldfishing mean?

Bought and opened my sixth display yesterday. Got a Sabine showcase. But I'll probably buy another box or two in hope of more showcases.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

uncle blog posted:

What does goldfishing mean?

Bought and opened my sixth display yesterday. Got a Sabine showcase. But I'll probably buy another box or two in hope of more showcases.

If you weren’t aware, Showcases are 1 in 12 boxes.

Goldfishing means playing your opening turns against nothing. You’re playing against a goldfish. You’re just trying to see how the opening lines of play feel.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CitizenKeen posted:

If you weren’t aware, Showcases are 1 in 12 boxes.

Oh really? I am 2 for 2. Lol.

I played against my friend yesterday with a Vader deck I made. I absolutely crushed him. I really like Vader as a Leader. Constant chip damage is good to pull off. Deck is all about smashing guys and also exhausting or sending back to hand.

Hopefully will do better than I did the draft. I also built a Spectre deck for fun. I don’t think it will be as good but still looks fun to play.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Black Stones posted:

Oh really? I am 2 for 2. Lol.

I played against my friend yesterday with a Vader deck I made. I absolutely crushed him. I really like Vader as a Leader. Constant chip damage is good to pull off. Deck is all about smashing guys and also exhausting or sending back to hand.

Hopefully will do better than I did the draft. I also built a Spectre deck for fun. I don’t think it will be as good but still looks fun to play.

Yeah, I’ve opened 3 boxes and 2 Showcases but some other content creators have opened 50 boxes and gotten zero.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
This game is tight, I've had some really fun Draft and Sealed experiences in the past bit. Haven't played as much Constructed, at least in person, but quite enjoyed what I was seeing of it earlier via TTS.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Just finished a 3 round casual event at my lgs. No promo packs this week unfortunately but i did end up going 2-1 losing to green sabine in round one. Ended up beating green boba though! Felt pretty good with my red blue vader control deck.

The event had pack per win prizing so i walked out with 2 packs and an acrylic initiative token, my first pack had a hyper space legendary boba and mace windu, so i made out like a bandit in value!

Overall a good time. Though mext week im probably going to a shop that advertising $15 sealed

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Plan in place, clearly communicated to fans in a timely manner.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 20, 2024

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
All I got to say is, I’m glad I bought my Vader’s two weeks ago ( got zero in my case ).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Oh, is Vader as a unit expensive? I decided to buy a 3rd box and got him. No showcases this time around, but that made up for it.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

The Black Stones posted:

Oh, is Vader as a unit expensive? I decided to buy a 3rd box and got him. No showcases this time around, but that made up for it.

Yeah, Darth Vader: Commanding the First Legion is about $90 each on TCG Player.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Hyperfoil Unit Vader is going for more than some showcases.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

jhorphear posted:

All I got to say is, I’m glad I bought my Vader’s two weeks ago ( got zero in my case ).

I wonder if they're not doing the old Magic thing of printing certain more copies of some legendaries per sheet than others.

I bought two boxes and two of the three legendaries in each box was Superlaser and Home One.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wonder if they're not doing the old Magic thing of printing certain more copies of some legendaries per sheet than others.

I bought two boxes and two of the three legendaries in each box was Superlaser and Home One.

I've got 5 Black Ones (two in Hyperspace) and zero Home Ones. I think Random Variance is gonna Random Variance.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This same thing happened to me. I got one of each in my prerelease kit too. Ended up putting super laser in my red blue vader deck which has been fun.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I have like, 3 home ones. I got 2 mace windu’s in the same box, lol.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am going to my first ever draft event of any type of game ever. Hopefully things go well.

Any tips for a person new to drafting? Other than try to read what other people are drafting and draft other colors. It’s a casual event, but I would like a shot at a competitive deck.

With being limited to one of three leaders that you start off with, I imagine that can kinda hamstring that strategy quickly. I get being able to pick any standard base color helps, but being stuck on hero or villan can be kinda big.

Are the neutral cards, or single color cards a priority in the first round? I am guessing like sealed, focus on low cost cards early as well. Those high cost cards are probably not getting played often.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I stumbled through my draft and ended up going with Boba Fett and Green Base. The first pack of drafting ended up with me starting with a foil Wedge (mostly because I don’t have any of that card yet), but after that it was a good amount of black only low cost units, and some decent green cards. Somewhere in there I had to settle between red (IG-88) and Yellow (Boba) for my second color, and I got a pick of yellow cards over blue cards first.

After that, it was just try and pick the most cost effective cards in the mix, skewing to cheaper cost units where there was a real choice. By the end, I wound up with something like 37 aspect matching cards, and whittled it down to 30 by removing a couple of events that were not going to help, and dumping some expensive units and a neutral unit or two.

The MVPs of my day ended up being the pair of Jawas I drafted. I think I got at least one out first turn each game I played, and I got both out first turn in 2 games.

My third game, my opponent had some lovely draw luck, and they lived the entire game. I got both out first turn while he went space early and didn’t get a single ground unit out until he finally played Rukh. But by that point in time he had better things to try and kill. The strange thing is I resourced the tie fighter I got at start and didn’t draw anything to deal with space. So it was basically a damage race. I ended up squeaking out a win due to those little Jawas.

In the end I wound up winning all 4 games I got to play. It was a casual event, and the cost of entry was the cost of the packs, so the only prize support was just the 3 card weekly pack. But I still had fun and would do it again. There were 16 people playing, and the store turned a couple people away as the last seat sold right before the event sorted. One regular was fine, and hung around to chat, but one random person was kinda salty about it.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There seems to be a descent amount of evidence pointing to certain legendaries being grouped together. But this was all based on information collected from Reddit, so your guess is as good as mine if it’s accurate.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Shadows of the Galaxy preview season is upon us. First cards are Mando-centric, but looks like we're getting Aphra (!), Mando, and Bane this set as well.

https://starwarsunlimited.com/articles/shadows-of-the-galaxy

https://www.dicebreaker.com/games/s...oda-mandalorian

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Dr Aphra makes sense, she can be a 7/7 for 7 who makes two 1/1 droids 0-0-0 and Bt-1who do 4 damage to another unit when destroyed.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Shadows of the Galaxy preview season is upon us. First cards are Mando-centric, but looks like we're getting Aphra (!), Mando, and Bane this set as well.

i like how this is unclear if you're talking about Cad Bane, the villain who is a dishonorable scoundrel, or Darth Bane, the villain who is a cruel masked master of the dark side of the force, lol

anyhow maybe i should stop belaboring it but "here is an imperial commander, he gives low-cost units +1/+0" does not bode well that the expansions are going to shake off my first impression that this game is very generic

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

i like how this is unclear if you're talking about Cad Bane, the villain who is a dishonorable scoundrel, or Darth Bane, the villain who is a cruel masked master of the dark side of the force, lol

anyhow maybe i should stop belaboring it but "here is an imperial commander, he gives low-cost units +1/+0" does not bode well that the expansions are going to shake off my first impression that this game is very generic

Moff Gideon is one of the new starter deck leaders, I can only assume it's a deliberate decision on FFG's part to not make him overly complicated for the benefit of a new player picking his deck up.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

I'm glad they're keeping the cards in the starter sets (and that particular card is ONLY in the starter set) pretty easy to grasp, while also giving them abilities that nudge people both in how to pilot the deck and how to tweak it. In my area a lot of people who have jumped on SWU are totally new to TCGs, and for them all of this - that might be simple or old news for us - is pretty darn neat.

edit: beaten

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I don't know if this is the right thread any more but I played Star Wars: Rebellion last week and it was a lot of fun. We even played the four player setup which is supposedly not so good but it worked well enough. I was the only one who had played before so I probably should have been on the rebel side, because they really have to work those objectives to move the end game down. Probably gonna pick up the expansion for the next game since I'm told it improves the combat. Definitely worth a look if you like two-player board games.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
is it harder to grasp that Moff Gideon buffs guys who cost less than 3 than that he, I don't know, buffs troopers and bounty hunters? encourages a playstyle where you freely sacrifice pieces to pursue an obsessive end? i realize he's not exactly a deep character! but i look at that card and you could change the name and have it 100% work for any stormtrooper commander or any tie squadron leader or half the various imperial villains in the spinoff cartoons or that squad of stormtroopers han runs away from on the death star or tim russ's character from spaceballs.

if you swapped moff gideon's name and stats with director krennic, iden versio, or grand moff tarkin persona cards from the first set, would anything at all be amiss? it's not that this particular card is too simple, it's just that it has no distinct personality. the vast majority of them don't.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Thats why the game is loving star wars! The characters already HAVE personality. Just gotta put game stuff next to them.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Cease to Hope posted:

is it harder to grasp that Moff Gideon buffs guys who cost less than 3 than that he, I don't know, buffs troopers and bounty hunters? encourages a playstyle where you freely sacrifice pieces to pursue an obsessive end? i realize he's not exactly a deep character! but i look at that card and you could change the name and have it 100% work for any stormtrooper commander or any tie squadron leader or half the various imperial villains in the spinoff cartoons or that squad of stormtroopers han runs away from on the death star or tim russ's character from spaceballs.

if you swapped moff gideon's name and stats with director krennic, iden versio, or grand moff tarkin persona cards from the first set, would anything at all be amiss? it's not that this particular card is too simple, it's just that it has no distinct personality. the vast majority of them don't.

Out of curiosity, what’s a modern Star Wars game you think got theme right?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's not a card game but someone was just posting about Rebellion and that game fuckin owns

E: also game of thrones and to a lesser extent 40k conquest both jump out at me as ffg card games that got their theme across very well

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 4, 2024

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
SWU is frustrating because the persona cards are so close to being genius. your persona's personality, companionship, scheming, behind-the-scenes action, that all sets up what you're doing. then your character comes down and it's a heroic entrance or dramatically raises the stakes! and yeah they get picked off but hopefully faith in your friends or the scheming plan or the weight of oppression will carry the day.

it's just... not that. some characters get tantalizingly close (luke, thrawn). but most of them are just a very generic buff who turns into a guy with the generic buff.

its frustrating because i don't want to poo poo on a fundamentally solid game that is only unremarkable in the way that it almost completely lacks any design inspiration when it comes to reflecting what it's based on. but it's something i kinda always want to rant about whenever i think about it because that failure is the most interesting aspect of the game.

CitizenKeen posted:

shatterpoint, with a big caveat about the mixed success of the combat resolution. and armada, with a caveat about how the imperial fleet kinda turns into starfleet battles in a bad way

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 4, 2024

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Rebellion is a fantastic game. Easily one of my top 5 games.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

shatterpoint, with a big caveat about the mixed success of the combat resolution. and armada, with a caveat about how the imperial fleet kinda turns into starfleet battles in a bad way
That the same Shatterpoint where the same list might include Luke Skywalker, Bariss Offee, Darth Maul, the Grand Inquisitor, Obiwan and a Stormtrooper sergeant?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Shatterpoint is a weird case because the unique abilities felt very thematic but then you look at the actual combat trees and they all seemed completely arbitrary to me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

CitizenKeen posted:

Outer Rim has great theming. Hustlers and scoundrels Armed entrepreneurs taking dangerous jobs looking for the next big score, occasionally interacting with one of the parties in the civil war or organized crime when the price is right.
Really captures the vibe of the space western frontier.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

hoiyes posted:

That the same Shatterpoint where the same list might include Luke Skywalker, Bariss Offee, Darth Maul, the Grand Inquisitor, Obiwan and a Stormtrooper sergeant?

that's silly, it would be savage opress, not darth maul. you can only have two primaries at a time

jokes aside, they are doing the kind of gonzo EU thing where darth maul not only survives being cut in half but also has a brother named "savage opress" so yes i am okay with that. the game even reflects this: you could do that, but most of them would not get along with each other mechanically so they'd be a bunch of independent lone operators doing their own thing. star wars still works with a motley bunch forced together by circumstance.

it's not the biographical facts or the timeline stuff that matters anyway. it is capturing the personality of the characters, or the dramatic pace and rhythm of a story or battle or struggle.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Cease to Hope posted:

jokes aside, they are doing the kind of gonzo EU thing where darth maul not only survives being cut in half but also has a brother named "savage opress" so yes i am okay with that

That's not EU, that's canon straight out of The Clone Wars and Rebels. (For added amusement, "Savage" is pronounced like it were French - "suh-VAHJ")