Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Which is basically 'Advanced Blackjack for two people.' It's filler game, but one I've enjoyed. I don't have CIA v. KGB anymore, so I might pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

No Mon Calamari? How disappointing.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Picked up my copy from the FLGS today.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Imagined posted:

So, anybody who's played it so far: how well does that movement tool work? Is it as hard to work with when things get tight as it looks?

Okay, and yes, good god yes.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Imagined posted:

Can you elaborate at all? What did you do to work around it? I need to hear more about what it's like to actually play since I won't be able to until next weekend at the earliest. :(

We frequently had to move multiple squadrons out of the way to make room for the template. There are rules for when a capital ship ends up on top of fighters, but they really shouldn't be moving if just the template crosses them. At least in X-wing you have the straight 1 and 2 if you need to temporarily move a ship and place it back exactly where it was, Armada doesn't have anything like that. We basically just resorted to using our fingers to mark where the fighters should be while we placed the maneuver template, but will that fly in a tournament?

Capital ships weren't as much of an issue because the Star Destroyer annihilates the rebel ships before they can close anyway.

Any other questions you have?

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 27, 2015

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

I solved this by NOT putting the 0 ruler on the ship, if the ship is moving 2, then put the end of it on the ship, so the 2 link, this way it only extends out as far as the ship is moving and doesnt overlap a bunch of stuff.

Ive played a couple games and like it a lot, its very different from X-wing which is good, they dont replace each other and can target different audiences. Personally I like Armada more than X-Wing.

That is clever as hell and will definitely copy it.
I'm feelin' kind of ambivalent after a few games, and I think a lot of that is because of just how convoluted it feels compared to X-wing. That's not a complaint mind you, just upscaling the X-wing rules with bigger ships would have been a mistake.
I do want to give it more time, (and another $120) and am pretty confident that it will improve with more ships.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

FuSchnick posted:

Imperial Assault question: What is the Empire supposed to do to make "Sympathy for the Rebellion" even slightly challenging?

Is that the one in which the two sides compete to pull civilians off the board? Our rebels won it, but I remember it being pretty close.

Madurai posted:

One of the flaws of both game systems is that they have no allowance for retreat.

There's a case for this in Armada, but X-wing? Part of the reason X-wing is so great is it's simplicity and I'm kinda glad it doesn't waste time on rules for fleeing.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
FFG's next release will be Star Wars branded mortgages! I'll be here all week.

Anyway, this worked in the X-wing thread, so I thought I'd try it here; I'm dumping my Armada stuff: One Starter box, one additional Victory, one Gladiator, 2 Imperial Fighter boxes, extra dice pack, an Armada dice bag, alternate art Tie Fighter card, and a die I painted orange and blue to use as a round counter. I only have the packaging for the Starter but everything is in good condition. I'd like $125 via Paypal and I'll cover shipping in US, PM me if interested.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Looking forward to getting this with the Finalizer title and Kylo Ren commander card

The Finalizer? Is that really the name of the ship?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I wanted to like it, but the down time is rough. If you've played Merchants & Marauders, it's that but in space.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

"SW is a rocky fandom right now" is an interesting line; I wonder if the rocky fandom really worries FFG's bean counters or if Star Wars fans are always going to eat up Star Wars stuff no matter what and just like to complain - in other words, just like any other fandom.
We're literally discussing a SW product that failed because it's fans didn't eat it up no matter what. And it's not the only one.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Are you referring to Wings of Glory? Because X-wing's dials are vastly superior to the card decks its predecessors used, as well as having actions and ships that actually felt different. The Star Wars name helped but it saying it merely 'tightened things up a bit' is super disingenuous. X-wing isn't even the first pre-painted SW spaceship game, but it's the one that stuck around for almost a decade because the other one was bad and being called Star Wars isn't enough.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Anyone still following this thread?

It's not the end, but you can see it from here:
https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1428828647994109954

I wasn't blown away with Armada when it first released, but I have a friend who has it (and isn't getting out) and picking up some of the Republic Fleet once people/stores start dumping sounds appealing. Anyone able to give me an opinion on whether the prequel factions got enough to stand up to the established ones? I suppose it's not a huge dealbreaker if they didn't, but it'd be nice to know.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Imagine finding out ten years from now that Asmodee just had one really spiteful Valerian and Laureline fan on the board of directors

Btw, thanks for the tips goons

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
No, but I have an X-wings raider that I don't want, you can try running it through the wash a few times

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Val Helmethead posted:

Asmodee may have dumped all the FFG games on AMG's lap, but AMG was asking for them to do it so that they could have the Star Wars license for Shatterpoint. X-wing and Armada (and to a lesser extent, Legion) are the casualties so that we can have the game AMG wanted to make.

I'll admit I don't know much about X-Wing and the problems they suffered, but from my best understanding Rapid Reinforcements had 0 playtesting, and was basically a "our contract says we have to put out an Armada release, so here we go." Based on the cards (Anakin and Draven in particular) it is doubtful that whoever designed them had any kind of understanding of Armada's rules.

This is the first time hearing that AMG requested the SW hand over. I don't mean to be rude, but where are you getting it from?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yikes, I hadn't seen the card art before. Very reminiscient of the magic knock-offs from the 90s.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Hmm, maybe when SP gets shoretroopers

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Funzo posted:

Those are all pretty solid units, although I don't know why they want to bring Thrawn in. I mean, I know why, because it's a popular character that will sell, but why would a Grand Admiral of the Empire be scrabbling around over a computer terminal or whatever? He has people for that.

The computer has his browser history on it

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
AMG confirming their commitment to Legion by rescuplting all of the figures from the first two years was a surprise.

Also, I gotta say I prefer GW's more frequent but shorter range previews. Seeing some awesome figs and then finding out that they won't retail for a year is a bit of a buzzkill.

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 17, 2023

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsRmzPkDIzw&t=2640s They mention it with some pics at the 44m mark here; hard plastic versions of the older figs to start releasing in 2025.

Have to say I like that Vader more than the SP one.

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 17, 2023

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
For SW:U? Traditional booster pack style.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
The thing about using a different distributor was the most surprising. Doesn't Asmodee own them? Why are they even allowed to do that?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Maybe they figure that'll make it harder for Asmodee to hand it off to another company overnight

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I'm trying to withold my opinion on a game I'm def not going to play, but drat, Search your Feelings and Han Solo being done by the same artist is crazy

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

I'm whatever on the style thing, but that Han art has bonkers color going on with the face.

flashbacks to Elder Scrolls IV Char Creator

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I don't know if this is the right thread any more but I played Star Wars: Rebellion last week and it was a lot of fun. We even played the four player setup which is supposedly not so good but it worked well enough. I was the only one who had played before so I probably should have been on the rebel side, because they really have to work those objectives to move the end game down. Probably gonna pick up the expansion for the next game since I'm told it improves the combat. Definitely worth a look if you like two-player board games.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Shatterpoint is a weird case because the unique abilities felt very thematic but then you look at the actual combat trees and they all seemed completely arbitrary to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Is it really that bad? I know people who have gone all in SW:U or Shatterpoint.