Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Grey Hunter posted:

Ask and you shall receive.

I've not had a chance to PLAY with them yet. To my shame.

Man Armada looks cool as hell, shame its playerbase is much smaller than X-Wing (I guess because it's more expensive?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Is there really anything stopping FFG from doing with they did with the Imperial Raider and just making some new poo poo up?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kai Tave posted:

Disney lets FFG use old EU stuff with approval, nonetheless X-Wing isn't a barometer for "is this ship/pilot still considered canon?" because of that. Old canon is on the table if a new writer wants to use it for stuff and if Disney approves of it being used in stuff that they're considering "yo this is the real deal right here." So Disney could use any of that stuff if they wanted, but it's ultimately up to how they feel about it.

So how does this work from an organizational standpoint anyway? I sorta doubt Disney has a well-trained committee of IP stewards who can make this decision, and my gut is telling me that it's almost certainly some rear end in a top hat with a marketing degree who sits in his office and makes arbitrary decisions based on basically nothing when approving/denying NewCanon stuff.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ugleb posted:

Is there any reasoning behind the order of those letters?

It's apparently

G-Canon = George
T-Canon = Television
C-Canon = Continuity (basically everything after Heir to the Empire, right?)
S-Canon = ... Secondary (basically everything before Heir to the Empire, right?)
N-Canon = Non-Canon

Basically it's all kinda bullshit anyway.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

NTRabbit posted:

Scum Venators and Acclamators imo, EU has bunches of them being abandoned in space at the end of the Clone Wars, before being salvaged for use by private groups. I know they appeared briefly in ROTS, and FFG avoids that stuff, but they also heavily featured on TCW, and FFG hasn't been shy about going to both TV series for content.

Scum or repurposed Rebel Lucrehulks would be pretty nifty too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I love Imperial stuff, don't get me wrong, but after a certain point, once you've seen one type of space wedge you've kinda seen them all.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Nebulon-B is the coolest looking ship in the Rebel fleet, hands down. It'd be the coolest in the Imperial fleet too if it weren't beaten by the ISD itself.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Funzo posted:

FLGS just announced Legion is going to be available on the 22nd. The same day Adepticon starts. Guess I won't have my core set before I go down there to play it.

Are FFG major release dates like this usually simultaneous in North America and Europe?

I've been waiting on my tax return to pre-order, but if the game is hitting shelves this month, that might be rough timing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ah phew, that's way better then. I'll definitely have tax return money by the end of March.

This is my first time thinking about getting in on an FFG property at launch instead of waiting a bit. I know they have always had huge supply chain issues, but is it advisable to just stick with just the starter box right away and see how the system plays (and how the community plays out), or just buy one of everything while I can?

Otherwise right now I'm thinking starter box and maybe a terrain mat (my FLGS has a combo "deal" at the moment, which is 10% off the total price if you buy them together). Though I'd love those Rebel fleet troopers or the AT-ST...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Funzo posted:

The fleet troopers are in the next wave of releases I think, scheduled for Q2 of this year. I pre-ordered the starter box, and I'm not planning on getting anything else until I've played it a little while. Of course, all of that will probably go out the window at Adepticon and I'll just throw my wallet at the FFG booth.

Is there a Euro equivalent of Adepticon?

I've always just kinda been on the periphery of miniatures gaming, and Legion might be the thing that actually gets me motivated to like... go to my FLGS and play games, or maybe get interested in events.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Arquinsiel posted:

Or if you want to leave the UK there are dozens to hundreds of events on. Spiel Essen is so huge that you'll see it on the boxes of games that won awards at it.

Yeah, Essen is what I'm thinking of this year (I'm in Germany anyway), but it's more of a general board game/industry trade show and not so much focused on actually playing games (whereas Gen Con is just as much a convention as it is a trade show).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

canyoneer posted:

Sorastro's Star Wars Imperial Assault Painting Series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6xOeNhrVj9to2nKZjk5H8OAQbG9izBrH

That's the one you want. Guy is really good at painting and does a great step by step for every IA model

He's also been doing a Legion-specific one too, and iirc directly sponsored by FFG.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'm pretty sure those are both from The Last Jedi?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Didn't Imperial Assault have a single-player (or co-op?) mode that one could play, via a helper app or something? I never played but I've always kinda wanted to, but playing with my husband is a complete no-go if it's 1v1 competitive.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Was it ever really that popular?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Good reminder that I should probably put my splatbooks up on eBay while the gettin's good.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Didn't see an Armada thread, so posting here:

Is Armada dead? I mean, not in the sense of a competitive community or whatever, I mean in the sense of "is this still in production"?

I haven't followed any of the non-RPG Star Wars stuff since FFG kinda imploded a couple years ago. Armada's always interested me and I'm thinking of picking up the core set on a lark.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

bunnyofdoom posted:

I wish it would run on modern PCs.

GOG are apparently working on it for Armada and Armada 2. I assume the delay there is technical and not related to rights or anything (since there are several other Trek games from the Activision era that they're selling)

I'd buy in hard on a proper (and good) official Star Trek: Armada a la the FFG Star Wars stuff but CBS's incompetence doesn't end with making bad shows, it apparently also extends to managing the IP's licensing deals.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

AndyElusive posted:

Both Armada 1 and 2 are available for me to buy right now. Is there something wrong with these versions?

Nothing. Convenently, GOG released those versions like a day after I posted that post. Before that the status on them was "Coming Soon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I know different styles and whatever, but drat comparing the FFG Star Wars art from like a decade ago to this stuff is just... wow.

I mean I know the company has fallen hard but jeez.