Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Having wanted Imperial Assault since it was announced and then getting it this Christmas just gone I finally got to play it on Saturday. Ran through the tutorial mission and then started an abortive "let's see how a campaign setup works" first mission.

So today I bought Boba Fett and IG-88 in the FLGS (because they didn't have Han and Chewie, obvs). It's happening... I can feel it... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Odd choice to make. If those ships are really that tiny then they may as well have been released as single models on squadron bases or something.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Do you have a source on that news? Not that i don't believe that but i really,really want to rub it in 40k obsessed friend of mine that is convinced X-Wing would never beat Warhammer in sales because it's "to new" like having seniority automatically makes you better.
Games Workshop stores and direct sales aren't counted in those stats.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think at this point the only way Armada sucks me in is if they do the Hammerhead Corvette from Rebels.
So I guess I have a few months until that happens :ohdear:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

canyoneer posted:

So what did the game stores complain about before online sales were a thing? People trading Magic and Warhammer in the parking lot?
GW forcing them out of business and vidya games.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's got HK Assassin Droids in the box. Do you really need more information?

UGH, FINE! It's a full campaign.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seems like they're going with a skirmish focus for them or does this hint at pre-New Hope campaigns? All three characters are dead before the movie ends after all, and one never even made it to the start.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thundercloud posted:

Well I picked up the core armada box for £30 and the Imperial Gladiator and Rebel Nebulon B for another £25.

I take it I will need fighters. What else do you guys recommend to get viable fleets? And where is the best (ie cheapest) place to get stuff in the UK?
Where did you get the core for 30?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thundercloud posted:

Games Expo from someone who tried selling it in the Bring and Buy for £40. Ex demo copy, but didn't sell and offered them £30 afterwards for it. Just checked it an it is complete.

A couple of the Tie fighters have a bent panel, everything else is perfect.
That's not insanely good to the same degree then, but still worth grabbing. I'd get into it at that price.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you just want to play the campaign there's no need to buy any of them, but the first wave is worth grabbing if you prefer toy mans to card tokens.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looks like spiderwebs on the pro gamer buttons.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kind of want to try make a fleet for this competition thing, even though I have zero idea how to play the game and thus negative idea when it comes to fleet construction.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NTRabbit posted:

Thrawn just has a regular ISD in the trailer, fairly certain they're taking the best and most useful parts of the character and dumping the rest of the silly EU stuff.
The name and nothing else?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A zero point slotless cleaning droid that you give to your opponent that makes them play with their dials visible.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Strobe posted:

I am 100% okay with "unflappably calm and dangerously competent bad guy" and even more okay with it being applied to one of the iconic figures of the old EU.

The art history/criticism I could do without.
I re-read the books recently. He literally just had a droid permanently sweeping the floor and watering the plants in a hallway in Republic HQ where by sheer coincidence all the people who normally treat droids like people and regularly use them for espionage somehow all became morons and discussed all plot-relevant plans in said hallway in front of said droid.

And not a single person noticed the droid phoning Thrawn with the deets either... :smithicide:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
90% sure than if he was intended at all NOT to be a boring mary-sue then the smartest thing about the art analysis is that it was a cover for some mundane spy work.

StashAugustine posted:

Actually it's a recording device hidden in the trees oh God trap sprung
The difference in the Star Wars universe is that a "recording device" is deployed via FTL canon and has way more legs and claws than a flying ball really needs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NTRabbit posted:

And that's happened often enough, especially with KotoR stuff, for me to believe it. Looks like the YT-2400 will be that way too, letting fans see the Outrider just as random stolen freighter without mentioning Dash Rendar.
It's the random ship that takes off in the background of the special editions of Episode IV. There's also one in the comic adaptation of TFA for some reason.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Could it be a Consular in civilian post-war service? Or those weird fat transport things I never saw named, like a Consular that drinks too much beer?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

StashAugustine posted:

Errant Venture or bust

I know a guy at the FLGS has black ISDs with neon green trim.
When trying to remember the name of that ship I found this:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looks like those DiceMasters games I keep seeing rebranded again and again.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well if they feel the need to make a new core box I'm sure they'd be the logical pack in expansion. Kind of hoping for a Rebels themed one first myself though. I'd pay good money to play as Chopper in ImpAss.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're a totally different scale. X-Wing scale in fact.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I went digging into the rules for a game last weekend when one of the players insisted on buying a blaster pistol from the loot even though nobody was using a pistol and learned that any character can use any weapon and carry two into battle.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a lot of logic that comes from approaching it as a "boxed RPG lite" that seems to result in being utterly wrong about it. I found a massive thread a while back where some dude just couldn't understand the idea of characters not necessarily having a default melee attack, just using their guns point blank instead.

In retrospect the idea of buying the pistol probably would not have been a bad one if and only if the group had given it to Diala Passil or Ghaarkan rather than sticking a second gun on a character that already had a good enough gun to keep trucking with.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
How far exactly is "across the board" in squares?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, that's just good play on the Wookie's part.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For goons thinking about getting into Armada who missed the cheap US Amazon deal, Book Depository has it now 39% off with free shipping. At that price it's worth the risk I think.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
By "risk" I meant "that you won't enjoy the game". Book Depository are 100% reliable, even if they do regularly scare the poo poo out of my by sending every item in an order in a separate package because :shrug:

They seem to actually be clearing out of Fantasy Flight stuff, or at least not actively restocking it. There's very little left and nothing has been added since I first used them at least a year back. Still, a core box and a Nebulon B for under 75 euro shipped is spectacular value.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Could be that, but the discount seems random so I'd almost guess that Book Depository just took a bunch of unsold stock from other retailers or something. I didn't really look at their site for a while because I was really trying to track down Han Solo for Imperial Assault and just couldn't find it anywhere near MSRP but assumed they were just not getting restocked because nobody was. A chance email had me check their site last night and see that they're actually pretty cleaned out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ultiville posted:

FYI the second printing of Han just came out, at least in the US, so you should be able to find one now.
Well given that I was liveposting my search... nope.

ETA: I am wrong, it literally popped up on Amazon in the last 12 hours. Shipping from Book Depository US to my house is cheaper than from their UK branch to a parcel service, because for some reason they don't have it on their site yet but are selling it on Amazon :psyduck:

Vitamin P posted:

Didn't see this posted, it's my boy Chopper. Hera looks cool too.
Also BT-1 and 0-0-0. It's the murderdroid expansion!

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 17, 2017

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Chop's arms looks over-sized, but they probably couldn't do smaller given the scale they're working with. Gonna be really tempted to get that, but why do they have his periscope (scanner?) up?
Yeah, and 0-0-0 just looks like C-3P0 giving a presentation because his hypodermic fingers are too small for that scale. I guess it's because if you really hate the periscope you can just cut it off, but adding it is harder?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Doesn't 0-0-0 also have little circular saws that come out of his wrists? I guess those'd be too small as well.

The comic has been less than consistent on how much can fit into those two droids. It's the weakest part of an otherwise great run.

That ain't even the worst of it.
VVVV

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 17, 2017

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You know, as silly as that was at least it wasn't the first arc of the mainline comic, which was the special kinds of terrible that you only really got from Marvel prior to the release of The Empire Strikes Back.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah. Vader literally gets a yandere waifu. The people I know who like it also love GA Thrawn, Ysilimari and the oneupmanship it represented, and the Darth Maul returns stuff.

The concept might be nice, but they completely lost me on the premise after issue 3 or 4 when they show off the various enemies, including Grievous Ackbar there. I read up to issue 11 or 12 thinking it gets better. :negative:
I legit detest the entire Thrawn thing, but the Vader comics were enjoyable for just plain avoiding the pitfalls of wonky continuity blunders with characters we know for the most part. Having googled "yandere" to work out WTF you mean, I think you have exactly inverted the relationship there.

So far the worst from the nuEU is either the Lords of the Sith novel or the reintroduction of Thrawn into Rebels. I'll have to see how the last one plays out, but I don't see them somehow making him less irritating than he already is.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Thrawn has barely even been a presence on Rebels, I don't see how anyone could be so irritated with the character. You're conflating the old EU Thrawn with the new one.

The voice acting. That weird high pitched monotone as if he can't believe that everyone around him is so stupid reminds me uncomfortably of the exact kind of person who would talk him up as the paragon of Star Wars writing. Also the art thing came back, but the terrible poo poo in the pre-season trailer hasn't actually turned up in the show yet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Partially due to the limitations of the medium it came off as a "just as planned :smug:" moment because they didn't really explain the basic search methodology beforehand. Even when he does something plausible it's presented in a way that I find annoying whatever fiction it happens in.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Armada box arrived today. I am actually slightly surprised at how light and empty it is. On the plus side, plenty of space to store the two other ships I bought while waiting.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What are people's thoughts on Armada and IA Skirmish now that they've been around for a while and have had a few expansions? How do they compare to X-Wing or other skirmish games, respectively?
Imperial Assault Skirmish was fun when I tried it. It gave me fond memories of the old D&D Skirmish, and by extension the Star Wars version that nobody played here, except without all of the random booster bullshit and with just a smidge more customisation of individual dudes. I am kind of looking forward to the Jawa expansion just to try the robo-death gang out again, but with salvaged weapons.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd disagree about buying the expansions, but don't use them until you've played a bit. They can be hard to track down specific ones, so if you see one you want at a price you're happy to pay then grab it. If for no other reason than you can use the figures rather than the card tokens, which is always much cooler.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I bought both of those expansions because the minis are really cool :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah I'm mostly in it for the miniatures since using token stand ins seems lame :/

Speaking of why does it seem like only :siren: Boba Fett :siren: is impossible to find?
'coz that.

But if you're close to the UK there's this.

ETA: or if you're not there's this.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 2, 2017