Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Halloween Jack posted:

Tying Force use to a skill in the 3e skill system seems like a very bad idea.

Yeah they had too much tied up into it, really. Everything was UtF checks, basically. So if you went hard in UtF, well...

Otherwise it was pretty good. The condition track was a neat addition to the usual "I'm at 1 hp and am just as functional as I was at max hp!" issue. A game that actually was designed with very customizable classes was pretty neat at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Saga Edition is a good compromise between 3.5 and 4 in D&D terms, modular with math that is straightforward (nowhere near as clean as 4e's math was, but it was a bridging system) and was very easy to break over your knee and make a bonkers character.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
With FFGs RPGs probably being done I was wondering if there are any must-have's between EotE/AoR/F&D? I have all the core-books but only have limited experience with EotE. I was really hoping to get a game going this spring with my friends and slowly pick up stuff after that but now I'm paranoid it'll dry up haha

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Far be it for me to recommend :filez: but I plan to just stick with the core 3 so I can run different/mixed eras and focuses and looking to electronic resources for the 4 billion splats.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

My biggest complaint about this version of SWRPG being done is that, since it uses its own dice system, it will quickly become a pain in the rear end to find appropriate dice (outside of modding your own or rolling via app).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
For using the real dice sure, but they do have a table early in all the core books about what faces to use on normal polyhedron dice. Probably wouldn't take too much effort to remember that, or print out some dice rolling mat with the info right on there. Still not as cool as the real thing but easily manageable.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Can also do dice stickers relatively easily

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hell an anycubic photon is down to a little over 2 hundo and can print you little dolls as well as dice.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

ChiTownEddie posted:

With FFGs RPGs probably being done I was wondering if there are any must-have's between EotE/AoR/F&D? I have all the core-books but only have limited experience with EotE. I was really hoping to get a game going this spring with my friends and slowly pick up stuff after that but now I'm paranoid it'll dry up haha

Collapse of the Republic is really good. Rise of the Separatists is good too, but Collapse has some real neat stuff in it like Jedi Generals, Nightsisters, Mandalorian Death Watch, and so on as well as mass combat rules.

The 4 location books are useful (imo) in this order: Lords of Nal Hutta (Hutt Space), Nexus of Power (Force planets), Strongholds of Resistance (rebel bases), and Suns of Fortune (Corellian Space.)

The career books vary in usefulness. Of note are the Fly Casual (Smuggler) book that has extra stuff on hyperspace travel and payouts for smuggling; Special Modifications (Technicians) that has a new crafting system; Endless Vigil (Sentinel) that has rules on really cool rules for lightsaber construction; Unlimited Power (Mystics), which has non-Jedi force use like alchemy, talismans, and conjuration. Far Horizons (colonists) is neat if you want characters that aren't skilled at combat at all. It also has base / homestead construction rules.

I've got a couple of adventures, but I haven't run them yet. Starting my group on Mask of the Pirate Queen this weekend!

Octavo fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 21, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was reticent to recommend anything as essential, but I also think the era and location books are the best. Of the compilation books, Allies & Adversaries seems the most useful.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I've managed to track down all of the non-character books. Of those, I think Dawn of Rebellion is the best, followed closely by the Clone Wars era books and Lords of Nal Hutta.

But it really depends on what you're interested in; if you don't want Clone Wars or Hutts, don't get the books.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If you don’t want hutts you got problems

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you don’t want hutts you got problems

:hmmyes:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Thanks for the feedback and help everyone!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.enworld.org/threads/ffg-star-wars-other-roleplaying-games-arent-going-away-after-all.670882/

Sounds like the star wars books are moving to a different company owned by the same parent company, so the game isn't dead after all

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

That seems good for reprints but highly questionable for new content

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

That seems good for reprints but highly questionable for new content

Article specifically says "and produce new ones" so we'll see.

I hope the change in staff doesn't lead to a noticeable quality or style change

Edit: on further thought...a switch to a new production house would probably be a good time for a version refresh, if they decided to do such a thing

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I would really hope that any such hypothetical revision was more of a 1.1 edition vs a whole new one.

At my age I'm kind of sick of re-learning how to pretend to be an elf or a wookiee on graph paper every 3-5 years.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Well, since my last post in this thread I went out and bought every single book, beginner game, and gm screen. So... If they do a refresh jokes on me :(

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Overemotional Robot posted:

Well, since my last post in this thread I went out and bought every single book, beginner game, and gm screen. So... If they do a refresh jokes on me :(

Same :v:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Only now at the end do you understand.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The current system is totally usable. Just become a grognard who declares 1.0 the only “real” edition and insist it’s what your groups use.

That’s if they even do a system refresh, which I’m not sure they would.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
If they do a system rehash I bet it wouldn't change much: probably redo a lot of the vehicle system, a couple tweaks here or there, maybe change how crits work to get rid of the d100 tables. And yeah, it's a really good game as it is now, we're going to keep playing regardless.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I understand it has issues with rocket tag at high level, but I started roleplaying with Shadorun and White Wolf, so whoopty poo poo. It's one of the most dynamic tactical action games I've ever played as is.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think there's a ton of stuff that could get streamlined and rationalized but I don't think they'd do a good job of it in practice especially if it's being handed off to smalltimers

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If it helps, you have them now and reprinting anything FFG-related seems dicey at best so just consider it RPG prepping.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hopefully they do new runs of some of the harder to find card packs

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TotalHell posted:

The current system is totally usable. Just become a grognard who declares 1.0 the only “real” edition and insist it’s what your groups use.

That’s if they even do a system refresh, which I’m not sure they would.

I see you've met my GM. Tho replace 1.0 with WEG

e: https://youtu.be/E6Pu7RmbCCQ

YouTube interview with Asmodee with some more details. Apparently they're going with a lot of freelance work on star wars featuring a lot of the old ffg staff

Azhais fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 13, 2020

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Azhais posted:

I see you've met my GM. Tho replace 1.0 with WEG

I didn't know you're one of my players. :v:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I hope they just do more supplements like the 'era' sourcebooks and the vehicle/allies compendium. A big book of weapons/items would be great. Right now, they are scattered all over making it hard to use things in weird books.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I hope they just do more supplements like the 'era' sourcebooks and the vehicle/allies compendium. A big book of weapons/items would be great. Right now, they are scattered all over making it hard to use things in weird books.

They already released "gadgets and gear"

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-RPG-Gadgets-Gearrrrrrrrr/dp/1633443280/

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Wow nevermind. Thanks!

I guess I don't need any more books.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Obi-Wan's lightsaber gets a special property making it good at hacking off limbs. :3:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Obi-Wan's lightsaber gets a special property making it good at hacking off limbs. :3:

Shouldn't all light sabers have that property?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PeterWeller posted:

Shouldn't all light sabers have that property?

His is even dismemb-ier.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Every weapon should have Vicious.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Madurai posted:

Every weapon should have Vicious.

I prefer viscous weapons

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Azhais posted:

I prefer viscous weapons

sounds like you need the Nightwitch specialization in your life.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Are there any home ruled critical injury rules that aren't... what is in the rule book? Like, my brain refuses to understand the critical injury rules for some reason and my players don't like rolling because it's too random and... yeah. Help!

Edit: I think I actually get it now. But it's still dumb.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Are there any home ruled critical injury rules that aren't... what is in the rule book? Like, my brain refuses to understand the critical injury rules for some reason and my players don't like rolling because it's too random and... yeah. Help!

Edit: I think I actually get it now. But it's still dumb.

Anything thats particular grating about it to you? It's the only way you can actually get really hurt in the star wars system and most of the penalties are pretty minor things until you've either taken a few critical wounds or you're up against something with a high Vicious weapon. Is it i just the random results that people aren't a fan of?