Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I really like Dawn of Rebellion and I think one of the Technician books is a good buy for the modding rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

The other era sourcebooks are solid but I'd also look at Fly Casual for smuggler options.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lead By Example (Officer splat) includes mass combat rules if that's something you imagine yourself needing.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
How much would I break this game if I moved all combat to opposed checks? This is more of a thought experiment than anything I'm seriously considering, but I miss the way "combat" works in the Apocalypse World / Dungeon World mechanics.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I've had the same thought and I think that it would work pretty well, although you'd have to reword a lot of talents. It's something I'd really like to see if there was ever a "second edition" to the game.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
One of the big advantages of the flat difficulties is that even non-combat characters can reliably do something in a fight. If you switch to opposed checks, which typically have higher difficulty, you’ll see them very quickly stop engaging in combat because they’ll just fail and generate a ton of threat (a possibility currently, but only against foes with high defence and lots of Adversary).

Opposed Ranged vs Ranged checks as a way to quickly resolve things like mass combat or unimportant fights can be good.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The way I always thought of it was just switching the dice "colors" around and, like in *World games just narrating the situation. "The wookie swings at you with a hairy fist, roaring!" *The player rolls 2 green dice, 1 red and 2 purple*

I would agree that if nothing else it feels different and weighted against the player, since they're now looking for advantage and successes and they have less of a chance to generate those, so they probably would feel like they're failing more (not fun!) vs the enemies succeeding.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Is there a collection of ship maps (and general star warsy maps) out there? I can find a lot by searching but "here's a zip of like 500" would be pretty bitchin'.

Starting up a campaign and anything to reduce legwork is good stuff.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Tantive IV
Han Solo's boring ship: warning - NuStarWars
USS Enterprise - Great blueprints even if Star Trek.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
If you wanted to do it more World like, I suggest you just have threats and despairs be GMs hard bargains. Generate 3 threat but succeed means you take out the stormtrooper, but get shot at, etc. That'll be my first step but it'll be requiring a bit more especially against boss characters.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

RudeCat posted:

The way I always thought of it was just switching the dice "colors" around and, like in *World games just narrating the situation. "The wookie swings at you with a hairy fist, roaring!" *The player rolls 2 green dice, 1 red and 2 purple*

I would agree that if nothing else it feels different and weighted against the player, since they're now looking for advantage and successes and they have less of a chance to generate those, so they probably would feel like they're failing more (not fun!) vs the enemies succeeding.

This is kind of what I was thinking. As for how to handle the results, and just off the top of my head, I did a few example rolls from your example and thought about how I'd handle them in that situation (if the player also attacked the wookie and wasn't trying to, say, dodge or something.)

1. 1 Threat: You block his furious swings, though the force is incredible. You notice his friends coming down the steps of the cantina and they don't look happy (so I just flipped the "notice an important point thing)

2. 3 Failure, 2 Advantage: Though you try to fend off his massive swings, a few get through (deal damage plus number of failure), however, (let player spend advantage, maybe they add a Black and narrate how they knock him off balance or something?)

3. 1 Success, 3 Threats: You successfully dodge his massive fists and then strike back (player deals damage plus Success). However, (wookie could knock you prone, or really do any of the other things on the charts)

4. 2 Threat: See 1.

5. 1 Failure, 2 Threat: You get the picture

Now, the first downside I see is that this specific scenario is very weighted against the player. 1 out of 5 is terrible. Toaster is absolutely right in that you'd see players start to distance themselves from combat if they weren't solely focused on it. Might even have the downside of giving players the mindset that they have to be combat focused.

So in a Star Wars game I'd probably never do this because it wouldn't really fit the tone or pacing of that setting (in my opinion). On the other hand, why are you taking on a Wookie hand to hand with no ranks!? I'm tempted to experiment with it in a Genysys game now, though.

Ramba Ral posted:

If you wanted to do it more World like, I suggest you just have threats and despairs be GMs hard bargains. Generate 3 threat but succeed means you take out the stormtrooper, but get shot at, etc. That'll be my first step but it'll be requiring a bit more especially against boss characters.
I actually really like this idea.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 19, 2020

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

FoundryVTT has a pretty nice system going for it right now. You can import the data from OggDude's so your characters have all the data right in the VTT. It doesn't have weapon automation yet - you have to roll Ranged Light then do the math for damage. But that should be coming soon as they decouple from the Special Dice Roller mod.

I am moving my campaign here right now, it has so many good features that Roll20 and FG don't have, and its a one-time fee and self hosted. A win all around.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey, any ideas for loot to hand out to a Medic who's motivation is scavenging exotic medical equipment? We're about to do Where Eagles Dare into a Ubiqtorate base built into an ancient Rakatan outpost and I'd like him to pull something cool he can use out of it. (I've already handed out a generic cybernetic so that's probably out)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Hey, any ideas for loot to hand out to a Medic who's motivation is scavenging exotic medical equipment? We're about to do Where Eagles Dare into a Ubiqtorate base built into an ancient Rakatan outpost and I'd like him to pull something cool he can use out of it. (I've already handed out a generic cybernetic so that's probably out)

Jedi Civil War era kolto tank?

Ancient Medical droid with the location of the planet where a rare and potent healing reagent grows in its databanks?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

alg posted:

FoundryVTT has a pretty nice system going for it right now. You can import the data from OggDude's so your characters have all the data right in the VTT. It doesn't have weapon automation yet - you have to roll Ranged Light then do the math for damage. But that should be coming soon as they decouple from the Special Dice Roller mod.

I am moving my campaign here right now, it has so many good features that Roll20 and FG don't have, and its a one-time fee and self hosted. A win all around.

This is really cool, but can you run asynchronous games on it easily?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Fuzz posted:

This is really cool, but can you run asynchronous games on it easily?

Like a play by post? It's not really set up for it, but I suppose you could use it for that.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

alg posted:

I'm only really familiar with Roll20, is making maps for this basically the same in terms of uploading/setting light walls and such?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

RudeCat posted:

I'm only really familiar with Roll20, is making maps for this basically the same in terms of uploading/setting light walls and such?

It's not the same, but it works really well.

You create a "scene" and part of creating the scene is selecting your background image. I've been using maps for a lot of stuff, so I select that image. If it has a grid already, you can use their tool to line it up. It's a little fiddly but it works better than Roll20 in that regard.

You can place "tiles" on the map afterward, if you wanted to build a map from scratch, or have stuff to place over your map.

So far, it has worked really well for me, better than FG or ROll20. He hasn't added in fog of war reveal yet (it's on the roadmap) which means if you want to use fog, it has to be dynamic lighting (which works WAY better than Roll20 and is MUCH easier to set up)

Here's someone making a scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK-48YAUvK4

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Thanks for the link. It looks good and I guess I'll going to pull the trigger on getting it, I just wish the "demo" they had on the website was a little more demonstrative of what it can do. Playing a character in a D&D 5e game is about as far as you get get from what I'm doing (playing Genesys and CoC/Delta Green mainly)

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
This is super helpful! How is the hosting for it? It looks like you may need to port forward? My players are not tech savvy so I need something easy for people to connect to.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Chairman Pow! posted:

This is super helpful! How is the hosting for it? It looks like you may need to port forward? My players are not tech savvy so I need something easy for people to connect to.

I host it on a pi4 on raspbian, its super super easy. I have ports forwarded but it does mention in the log that its doing UPNP. I only forwarded one port and then send the link to my players. Its even easier than roll20, honestly.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I printed out a cool little ship that I'm going to use for a small game with kids/my isolation circle. Help me stat it up!

I'm thinking it holds a crew of 3-4 in rather spartan but workable conditions, like a small captains quarters then a bunkroom and shared refresher. It's meant for getting light cargo loads places quickly and doesn't have consumables for staying in space a long time. Looking at it it has a very Sorosub vibe IMO. The dual cargo ramps give it a not undeserved reputation as a smuggling ship, since you can load and unload super fast.

Thoughts?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I printed out a cool little ship that I'm going to use for a small game with kids/my isolation circle. Help me stat it up!

I'm thinking it holds a crew of 3-4 in rather spartan but workable conditions, like a small captains quarters then a bunkroom and shared refresher. It's meant for getting light cargo loads places quickly and doesn't have consumables for staying in space a long time. Looking at it it has a very Sorosub vibe IMO. The dual cargo ramps give it a not undeserved reputation as a smuggling ship, since you can load and unload super fast.

Thoughts?

It looks extremely Star War, I'll give it that. How big is that cockpit--two seats? Four?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Madurai posted:

It looks extremely Star War, I'll give it that. How big is that cockpit--two seats? Four?

Scale Wise I'm thinking maybe 3- pilot/copilot and a jump seat if I'm going to say the deckplan has room for a camper-van sized living compartment between the cockpit and cargo area:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The "Lambda-class shuttle's dumpier, disreputable relation" sounds like it has player characters written all over it.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Thoughts?

Going off the Lambda comparison I'd split the difference between a YT-1300 and the Lambda, maybe sil 4, spd 3, hdlng 0, shields 2 1, armor 3, ht 22, ss 15. Give it 4 hardpoints and a forward twin medium laser cannon and you've got a decent little PC ship.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Coming soon to Foundry:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I just bought a Foundry license and am looking forward to messing around with it. The OggDude import capabilities are what won me over.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Did any of you actually get the Starfinders and Speeders book? I had preordered back in January from CoolStuffInc and the book just never arrived. I've emailed them a few times but all they can say is that they've had delays with FFG products even before COVID and now COVID made things worse.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

Did any of you actually get the Starfinders and Speeders book? I had preordered back in January from CoolStuffInc and the book just never arrived. I've emailed them a few times but all they can say is that they've had delays with FFG products even before COVID and now COVID made things worse.

My Amazon order for it keeps getting delayed. I haven't seen it yet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I got mine from my FLGS about a week after it was "supposed" to come out.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

I got mine from my FLGS about a week after it was "supposed" to come out.

Same here

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
So I've been reading through the books for this game for years and quarantine boredom has finally gotten me to write a campaign. To begin with my girlfriend and I are going to do a 1 on 1 campaign to familiarize ourselves with the rules but I eventually want to run a game with some friends back home over a virtual table top. I've been watching XPGamers campaign on Youtube and they're using Table Top Simulator which looks pretty versatile and I wanted to see if anyone has opinions on it vs. Roll20, FG, or Foundry.

The campaign itself is going to take place at the beginning of the Clone Wars and follow a group Jedi that work in an intelligence/unconventional warfare unit. I'm taking inspiration from the Mission Impossible and 007 films and wanted to do a lot of glitzy galaxy hopping and let the players play with some of the cool toys and resources the Republic had at their disposal. I was wondering if anyone has read Rise of the Separatists or Collapse of the Republic and thought they would be a useful supplement for this campaign. A lot of my players are already playing in a Edge of Empire Firefly-esque campaign and my GF just recently got into the Clone Wars show so I thought this would be a nice change of pace that could segue into Dawn of Rebellion.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I can't speak to the quality of the two sourcebooks since I haven't read them, but afaik they were well-received, if coming somewhat late in the RPG line's lifecycle.

I've used Tabletop Simulator and Roll20 for tabletop RPGs and I really prefer Roll20. It can be finicky to set up the FFG dice on it though (and accessing the plugin that lets you do it requires you to have one of the non-free Roll20 subscription tiers), but the character sheets are nice and being able to roll directly off the character sheets is a big plus. But you have to have a little patience to put up with it.

If I were to GM again in a Star Wars group, I'd probably just rely on theater-of-the-mind honestly and use a Discord bot for dice rolls. Maps are good and cool to help build up some immersion (especially if not all of your players have a brain full of useless Star Warsia at their disposal), but they aren't necessary at all for the system.

The idea of 1-on-1 with this system is kinda neat, might be fun to play around with. Though I would definitely give the player a sidekick (a droid or other type of companion) that they can control, effectively letting them play two-handed -- this doesn't mean a GMPC.

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 3, 2020

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

I use Foundry for my games and while it takes a bit of setup I can say that it's incredible and the more work you put into it the better it gets, but even just the bare minimum gets you character sheets that you can roll dice off of and it's pretty easy to import/build your own game information.

I have a player who runs his games using Tabletop Simulator and he likes it, so if all of your players have that then it might be worth a serious look but I (try to) run games for a lot of random people with varying levels of experience so being able to say "here's a link, I'll see you in a few minutes" is a lot easier than telling them to make an account or buy/download software.

The two sourcebooks are pretty nice and certainly have a lot of flavor in them but really aren't necessary. The career options are available for free on the internet (I think anyway, career sheets don't seem to be taken down anywhere?) and the gear you get from them isn't so different that you couldn't just use what's already in the other books and call it whatever you wanted or adjust as needed.

Seconding what Drone said re: 1-on-1, a sidekick (or sidekicks, as a group of minions) droid or something similar would be a good idea and it tracks with what we've seen a lot of in other Star Wars media.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

James Woods posted:

So I've been reading through the books for this game for years and quarantine boredom has finally gotten me to write a campaign. To begin with my girlfriend and I are going to do a 1 on 1 campaign to familiarize ourselves with the rules but I eventually want to run a game with some friends back home over a virtual table top. I've been watching XPGamers campaign on Youtube and they're using Table Top Simulator which looks pretty versatile and I wanted to see if anyone has opinions on it vs. Roll20, FG, or Foundry.

The campaign itself is going to take place at the beginning of the Clone Wars and follow a group Jedi that work in an intelligence/unconventional warfare unit. I'm taking inspiration from the Mission Impossible and 007 films and wanted to do a lot of glitzy galaxy hopping and let the players play with some of the cool toys and resources the Republic had at their disposal. I was wondering if anyone has read Rise of the Separatists or Collapse of the Republic and thought they would be a useful supplement for this campaign. A lot of my players are already playing in a Edge of Empire Firefly-esque campaign and my GF just recently got into the Clone Wars show so I thought this would be a nice change of pace that could segue into Dawn of Rebellion.

I don't have Rise of the Separatists, so I can't comment on that one, but I enjoyed Collapse of the Republic. It's got a lot of Clone Wars (the show) gear, species, and characters. And it has good setting and campaign info, plus mass combat rules in case that comes up. Between the two books the Jedi and Clone careers seem pretty crucial to the sort of campaign you're talking about.

Over the summer I finished running a PbP campaign that ended up as 1 on 1 after other players dropped out. We did almost entirely theater of the mind, with occasional maps or art for reference. I gave the remaining PC a sidekick, I controlled dialogue and non-combat actions and let him direct/control both characters during combat. I tried to keep the sidekick more reactive, so the player would drive the story, and it seemed to work out okay.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

TableTop Sim is way too clunky for RPGs. Foundry works great, you can import every NPC in the game from that NPC site, and you can import all of your character data from OggDude's. It's a no brainer.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
I guess I'll give Foundry a try although it's a tad pricey. I'm planning on having us play on a couple laptops ro get used to VTTs for our first session tomorrow. I figure we'll play for a month or so before inviting more players remotely.

As for the 1 on 1 we already have a D&D campaign going where she has a sidekick and a revolving cast of GMPCs that add flavor kind of like Discworld. I know this is often frowned upon but it's really helpful with single player games and I try not to overdo it. Often times the GMPCs cause more trouble than they're worth but it has allowed me to develop some memorable and hilarious characters.

For this I was planning on her playing sidekick to the Tom Cruise superspy character. The catch is that he's aloof and runs around like he's got plot armor until he eventually gets himself killed and she takes the mantle of superspy to infiltrate an illicit arms trafficking operation. I'm kinda channeling Melissa McCarthy"s Spy (if you haven't seen it it's way better than it has any right to be) with the hero superspy being similar to Jason Statham's character.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I’d just use RPGsessions instead of a heavyweight VTT- it was designed specifically for SWRPG (then Genesys) and has a good, minimal interface. You can import NPCs from swa.stoogoff.com, and characters from Oggdude (or just input them yourself easily).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

James Woods posted:

Both books are incredible. The Clone Trooper career is great, and it integrates nicely with both Force and Destiny and Age of Rebellion for force/army stuff. It has nearly all of the stats I'd want from a clone wars book, and I highly recommend them