Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just take the job and keep looking. My goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

GILF Hunter posted:

Are YOU serious? How is it NOT unfair? An employer offers you a job in confidence. If you accept it, and then continue to seek employment elsewhere, that's kind of a lovely thing to do, regardless of how the deck is stacked again you. Doesn't this go against the generally-accepted idea of not burning any bridges?

And in all seriousness, why does the general consensus seem to be that I'm "not above" this position? Why would I accept a position that I could do with significantly less education? Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of spending the last few years in school?

I suppose I might have more faith in my employer.

Are YOU kidding? Take them for everything you can, leverage them to the next job! Have fun being a nobody making way less than you could.

How do you think people double their salary in 5 years after they get out of school? It is not by being nice and in for the company. drat if I did that I would be making $35000 less than I do now.

You don't owe anyone but yourself anything.

E: you take the job since you have nothing else going for you. You use it as a branch to the next job and to keep the gap off your resume (which studies show is killer).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

People do all kinds of stuff to make it work and have careers.

My wife lives 2.5 hours from me for her job. I leave the great city of Denver for Amarillo every other week for work. My wife was a glorified secretary for a year and a half before landing her current gig that she loves and pays double.

Just think about doing it for a while. Live at home and commute. Give it 3 months. If you want to kill yourself hopefully you have found another job and just quit and keep looking.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dude stop caring about your employer. They will churn you, burn you, mash you, spit you out, anything they want to. User them for money and to keep working in your field. Job search liked crazy and find what you really want. Are you applying to THAT many jobs a week that you can't do both?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I feel like you are not even considering our side. Just don't take the job (since that is what you want) and hopefully you can find something else before you are taking over the family business instead (where the masters is relevant how?).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

GILF Hunter posted:

One of problems, if you want to call it that, is that I really want to work in the public sector (city, county, state government, or a non-profit). There are jobs ALL the time in my field. However, I think one of the issues is that planning is obviously location-based. Things vary from state to state, county to county. So while I may be qualified for a position in Oregon along with a dozen other people, planning in Oregon is a lot different than planning in my state. I feel that it's more likely that that municipalities want to hire people who have studied and worked in the region in which they're applying to, especially since "knowledge of [this locale]'s comprehensive plan" is frequently a requirement. There's a lot of similarities, but there's a lot of differences too.

tl;dr: All but one of my interviews have been in the south. I don't see that as a coincidence.

You couldn't be more wrong. You aren't getting interviews elsewhere because at that pay and the apparent number of people in the field why would they take a chance on an unproven person and move them or tell them to move.

If your education was good a local knowledge wouldn't matter. This argument makes little sense to me.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

GILF Hunter posted:

I do see your side. What I want is for someone to see my side. I value being happy. I would like to live in a place where I don't feel trapped and alone. I feel that is perfectly fair.

This thread says "gently caress being happy for now, just go work there because you need a career and that's the most important thing". That's difficult for me to swallow given how I've lived my life to this point.

I understand what you are saying but if you don't start your career and take advantage of what you have on front of you, you might never get where you want. People sacrifice happiness to do that.

Why do you think I told you about my situation. I see my wife at most 2 days a week, but the sacrifice will be worth it.

Can you sacrifice to start your career and give yourself a chance at long term happiness?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

GILF Hunter posted:

I would approach the question asked with cost-benefit response, and not attack the OP for asking for advice on a touchy subject. Else, I would probably keep my mouth shut.

You are basing what you want entirely off emotion and not putting any kind of cost benefit analysis to it.

You will make money.
You will get experience. (Granted not exactly what you want)
You will have a job.
Having a job makes it easier to find the next job.
You can work on your network, convince them to send you to a conference and hustle.

If you don't take it you continue to work for room and board outside your interest and chosen industry.
You shoot resumes down black holes and hope one sticks.

You could very easily better your future self but instead you not liking the area is stopping that, even though you have no other options. When you have options you can say no because you don't like the place.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 16, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

GILF Hunter posted:

I've made a huge mistake.

Sent that email then didn't you?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Xeom posted:

Suck it the gently caress up and take the job.

Oops, too late.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am glad this thread was unlocked. Pure gold.

Please let us know how the two interviews go.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

moana posted:

Apparently not, since you're insistent on taking none of the advice in this thread unless it conforms with your preconceived notions.

This is what happened completely. I hope the OP lands a job and I hope he reports back his progress.

I agree that others will find this one useful.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good for you. Also it sounds like it is a pretty small office so you could have the opportunity to make the job whatever you want. Come with ideas, try to run with them. You may have great freedom and you may never see that again.

Also keep looking for that dream job you have in your mind.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

hayden. posted:

The lesson of this thread is the learn to negotiate a salary properly. If they tell you their range is 36k to 42k, their actual range bottoms out at around 40k and they're hoping you're stupid enough to accept something around 40k. The real range probably around 40k to 50k. I recently started a job making 29% over what the absolute top end of their salary range was. It's all bullshit.

This is not true in many cases. Public sector jobs especially so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

hayden. posted:

Jobs where the salary is actually publicly available is obviously different. That advice is for most any corporate environment in the US.

The op was only looking at public sector jobs.

• Locked thread