Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
##vote meinberg

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
why is meinberg still alive

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
why is meinberg alive

meinberg is scum no matter his alignment

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Crazyeyes posted:

This is adorable. It's like you have never played with Win before (I don't know if you actually have).
If you don't know, why would you criticize him

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
shall we kill

A LURKER?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Meinberg

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Did you seriously just call me a lurker? I've never lurked a single SA game in my life ole' chap and I don't intend to now. Especially given how much ecco laments his games becoming lurker fests

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anyway your original argument is crap. I've read games where winvirus has done both behaviors and we have a few people in this game who are more than capable of playing aggressive scum if they want

If you want to lurker kill then just say so

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

QuoProQuid posted:

Accidentally hit post instead of preview.

Question:

At first, I thought you were a new player overreacting to Rarity, but you've actually played quite a few games. In this context, your response to the lurker accusation comes off as excessive and overwrought. The fact that you immediately try to move on by casting suspicion on that player strikes me as disingenuous. Your reaction reads as hollow.

##vote: Rascyc
what suspicion?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Somberbrero posted:

Crazy really annoys me. Today was a little rough so I was probably more of a dick than strictly necessary and I will probably continue as such for the next week or so. Apologies in advance.

Phone posting, going to check whether or not anyone else actually looked at that win-v post on the previous page. My guess: hahaha and also no.
Nah it's a servicable d1 case. It's why CE's response to it is terrible, like he leapt at the first real case of the game and just threw down a meta defense for someone who isn't even himself. It added nothing to the game.

Likewise I think Rarity's discrediting of it is also extremely weak since it boils down to "scum wouldn't do that" (yes they would). Meanwhile she plucks a single vote on Meinberg as the "fake vote" and votes it.

My vote is probably going to be one of those three/meinberg

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I have no thoughts on CC voting me but he did force me to re-read my post he quoted

Rascyc posted:

Likewise I think Rarity's discrediting of it is also extremely weak since it boils down to "scum wouldn't do that" (yes they would). Meanwhile she plucks a single vote on Meinberg as the "fake vote" and votes it.
I meant kilran here as opposed to Meinberg

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

kilran posted:

:ughh:

##unvote

Ok... full disclosure, I was at a BBQ with Highwire and LV yesterday.

I wasn't giving the game my full attention and completely missed that Meinberg had a few joke votes on p1. I thought that I was the first person to vote him :/ His reaction in context to a mounting bandwagon makes so much sense. As does Rarity's vote on me (and I thought my vote on her was super clever but it turns out I was being a dumb rear end).

This of course doesn't paint Rascyc in a great light. Care to explain what exactly has been scummy about Rarity?
Why does your action paint me in any light at all? I don't get this mentality. You can change your 'motivation' however you want but that doesn't change the actions that responded to it. It's like basic physics man!!!!1

Rarity feels scummy to me for the reasons I pointed out. She attempts to discredit a case using meta while plucking an arbitrary vote and throwing a scum read on it. If you want more ~words~, it feels LAMIST rather than actual scum hunting.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

kilran posted:

I wasn't giving the game my full attention and completely missed that Meinberg had a few joke votes on p1. I thought that I was the first person to vote him :/ His reaction in context to a mounting bandwagon makes so much sense.
Re-reading further, this is such a strange sequence of lines when you consider it's Meinberg of all people.

Why does the order of your vote matter? Mein was never in any real danger of being turbo'ed, and his reaction is uhhh well it's bog standard Meinberg. There's nothing especially cute about it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

QuoProQuid posted:

Looking at winvirus, my biggest issue with him is this post:

Up until this point, winvirus has been zig-zagging between jokeposts and serious contributions. His accusations seem like an attempt to move away from jokes, but the failure to explain himself means that I cannot take his post seriously. There is nothing obviously wrong with Sombrero's post, so winvirus' post reads like an attempt to paint suspicion on a player without actually doing the work of casing. It's an accusation made for the sake of making an accusation. There's no weight attached.

You call the case "crap" and accuse it of being nothing more than a lurker lynch. That implicitly casts suspicion on the person making the case.
This feels like an over-exaggerated read on what amounted to something like 4 posts in his history at the time of the reads in question.

What exactly did I accuse of being nothing more than a lurker lynch? The case that I called crap wasn't actually calling for a lurker lynch. That was half of my original point.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

kilran posted:

I don't think she in fact chose an arbitrary vote because seeing my actions in context, I would totally think I was scum in her shoes.

Therefore you picking up on that and voting her seems fishy. Especially in the mindset of scum who has full knowledge of who is / isn't scum. It's therefore sometimes difficult to pick up on scummy looking posting. That's why I think you aren't town.
Nobody is ever going to seriously say someone is scum based on voting Meinberg within the joke phase. That's fake play and everyone knows it. It's Meinberg goddamnit.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rarity posted:

kilran's vote was serious though.
Yeah I'm starting to feel you might have been right after his admission post and his last post about me knowing alignments to justify my reads. Something feels really wrong from him.

What about his admission post made you unvote?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yes I change my mind the more you post, shocker I know.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think he's referring to my Meinberg vote.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Oh you're right. Hm likewise I'm not even sure why he's saying I'm supporting his Rarity vote in particular since I am doing my own thing independent of him. It's like, my own vote dude!! (that I haven't even made yet)

Also I still don't see how his behavior puts me in a bad light like he said in his earlier post.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

yuming posted:

I also think kilran's logic is consistent for him.
Explain?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rarity posted:

Still, I am finding your interaction with us a little off. It's like you're trying to play us against each other. Tell you what, let's open this up a little. Ras, what do you think of winvirus?
I don't really believe in that type of manipulation when it comes to scum. That's waaaay too high effort.

I've cooled on Win in light of other players atm. His original post was meh, Somb cased it appropriately, Yuming backed it up to an extent in a typical Yuming manner. His response to the whole thing is about what I expected from a known joker.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

merk posted:

See, you didn't actually read CE. You opened his post history, skimmed it lightly, and picked out one random post for you to say that's all you see.

Your conclusion means nothing to the thread and it looks like you were trying. But, you weren't trying. You were faking effort.

That's the only scum tell that exists.
Town does this poo poo too unfortunately

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Kilran is your last game really March 2013?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'll cool on Kilran if he hasn't played since 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

merk posted:

Fake content is the only real scum tell that exists in mafia. Town does what poo poo, faking content?
Fake content, lazy content, bizarro content, etc.

I'm reminded of a game where you were scum and blasted Yuming for 'fake content' and it genuinely looked like she had faked it and then got vigged for it. In reality she had just posted some really bizarro stuff. So I'm not ready to just walk face first into this one personally.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608168&userid=37071#post425881183

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
For context for anyone who doesn't want to read that post. Someone had made a case on me in that game on my confirmation post, Yuming augmented it with her own reads, and Merk accused her of faking content. Out of all the people involved, Merk was the scum and drove Yuming off an emotional cliff that got her vigged.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What do you think of merk himself pushing that case on you?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't think it's null at all when I re-read that post he made in Zombie Beaver mafia and subsequent posts. Hum.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I don't buy that one myself. He's not a mafia newb, referencing a very recent game like it was some great epitome for finding scum seems more like persuasive statements to get other people to vote you than it does in actually sussing out a scum mindset.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

merk posted:

I'm not sure how that situation fits here.
Heh, come on, you can live up to your reputation better than this.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
To answer the question: CC's content reads as a pretty generic player who wants to get through d1. He's voted 2 isolated posts, one with light reasoning (myself) and another (Kilran) that segued into his CE read - which was becoming a topic. His post wouldn't even be a topic I suspect if Merk didn't highlight it as strong as he did, and push it as hard as he has (to the point that CC went bonkers).

I can't really judge CC's motivations personally. There's not enough there to really call fake. As far as I can tell it's based on a few words he used in his CE post. If you remove that sentence and just think of it in terms of reads, it doesn't look fake to me.

I mean I don't like CC's reactions to everything due to the level of MAD but it's true he has died a lot lately on d1 from what games I remember following. I'd have to double check that. I do remember it took pretty much no effort to get CC vigged in the last game I was scum as well because he got angry about even being considered a suspect.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

CCKeane posted:

So are you saying merk is scum here?
It's a good question. I haven't decided.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

merk posted:

##vote Rasyc - his analysis sounds like bullshit with fine clothes on. He cites to another game to try to accentuate a point he's making, but he can't even talk intelligently about how that situation is relevant here (bizarro vs. fake).

That's all I have at the moment. It feels right, but I don't have anything better to say besides the above yet.
What is there to talk intelligently about? I don't think CC's content was very fakey, I've seen you go after people by framing their content as fake. It's really that simple and I called you on it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
you jelly

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anyway what's ridiculous about it?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm playing a forum based game of mafia with more than 13 people. Sanity left me a long time ago, friend.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

yuming posted:

When inside he's like ~abort mission I hope no one is paying attention and I can just slide of this~
This is pretty much what I've been trying to decide. It's a blurry fine between abort and "let's scum hunt over here" and I'm not feeling the latter in this case. It feels more like he's trying to intentionally get people to shoot themselves in the foot at this point and that's a scummy behavior to me. It fits with how I've seen scum Merk play before personally.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

merk posted:

Mafia buzz words used at me without any basis so far:
1. flailing (Rarity)
2. back-pedaling (Crazyeyes)

Let's add to the list.
Color me surprised you don't have conviction on this list. I thought that was a decent one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

merk posted:

Also, regarding Rascy, I didn't see the parallel to the other game because I was scum in that game and I'm town in this game. On top of that, Rasyc himself characterized the other game as 'bizarro' content whereas he failed to characterize Keane's content here at all. He is creating an analogous situation but can't analogize the content between games. He also doesn't even say I'm scummy. If he isn't prepared to call Keane's content something other than fake and say that I'm scummy for saying what I said, his analogy completely falls flat on his face.
Mm, no, this is a misrepresentation. Again the original point is that it's easy to frame someone's content as fake, and I posted an example where you did this to counter your own self-referenced example from an ongoing game.

• Locked thread