Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
Confirmed.

Meinberg posted:

If you're really a vig and you really do off me, I'd consider taking a careful look at winvirus.

Because, you see, I'm town.
I know it's joke phase but this is a weird reaction to WV clear joke.

Imma vote you #vote Meinberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Meinberg posted:

Hm, you know... thinking on it, I can think of someone else who was scum in Civ2. In this very thread!!!
Why is that relevant?

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Meinberg posted:

And here is another example of my sense of humor in action. You can see that the results leave much to be desired.

I'm seeing a pattern here;

Meinberg: "I am going to make a weird post that is weird!"

Me: "That was weird. Why are you being weird?"

Meinberg: "I was being hilarious. Hilariously SCUMMY."

Me: *Fry eyes*

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Meinberg posted:

Hey buddy, how are you doing? Having a good time?

First off, you clearly don't know me very well. That makes me sad. But if you ask other people around, they'll tell you a couple things about me.

First, I'm incredibly awkward. Like hella goony. Ask Jake, he'll tell you for sure.

Second, my sense of humor is terrible. This is more universally known.

That's right kids, I'm going for the meta defense. :getin:

FYI, people who defend themselves by claiming "But meta!" are not really offering a real defence.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Meinberg posted:

Allow me to clarify.

Rarity made a joke comment in regards to my behavior being similar in a previous game where we played together. In that game I was scum. However, in that game Rarity was also scum. I turned her joking assertion back onto her in that statement that you quoted.

In case you missed what I'm highlighting as weird.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Met posted:

First post, 5 pages in. Get jobs, you cretins.

It's a Saturday.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Somberbrero posted:

Booo, take accountability.

##vote Little Mac

Also booo, Meinberg is an easy target he's intensely awkward.

Boooooooooo.

3rd vote is the official Scum Vote

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Rarity posted:

I think the rush of votes on Meinberg are scummy but I think the weakest vote is this one:

I feel like kilran's over-explaining in an attempt to justify jumping on a jokey bandwagon when it wasn't really necessary and he's using a general weak point of Meinberg to do it.

##unvote

##vote kilran

:uggh:

That's quite a failure to read there. You were obviously in such a rush to vote me, you scum-skimmed.

For you see, mine was the first vote on Meinberg.

So 1. I can't possibly have been bandwagoning anyone and 2. how can I over-explain my vote when no one else had voted him and I used like a handful of words.

##unvote

##vote Rarity

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

wins32767 posted:

##vote Chaoslord

Sorry you drew scum pal.

Kilran, I'm also very sorry you drew scum your first game back in a long time.

I haven't played in over a year. The last one was Token Female's Harry Potter game.

Ecco asked me if I wanted to play and I had some free time.

Also, don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
:ughh:

##unvote

Ok... full disclosure, I was at a BBQ with Highwire and LV yesterday.

I wasn't giving the game my full attention and completely missed that Meinberg had a few joke votes on p1. I thought that I was the first person to vote him :/ His reaction in context to a mounting bandwagon makes so much sense. As does Rarity's vote on me (and I thought my vote on her was super clever but it turns out I was being a dumb rear end).

This of course doesn't paint Rascyc in a great light. Care to explain what exactly has been scummy about Rarity?

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Rascyc posted:

Why does your action paint me in any light at all? I don't get this mentality. You can change your 'motivation' however you want but that doesn't change the actions that responded to it. It's like basic physics man!!!!1

Rarity feels scummy to me for the reasons I pointed out. She attempts to discredit a case using meta while plucking an arbitrary vote and throwing a scum read on it. If you want more ~words~, it feels LAMIST rather than actual scum hunting.

I don't think she in fact chose an arbitrary vote because seeing my actions in context, I would totally think I was scum in her shoes.

Therefore you picking up on that and voting her seems fishy. Especially in the mindset of scum who has full knowledge of who is / isn't scum. It's therefore sometimes difficult to pick up on scummy looking posting. That's why I think you aren't town.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
My vote on Meinberg was 100% serious. His reaction was totes flailing and seemed completely unwarranted. Until I went back and read that Rarity was the first vote :P

Rascyc posted:

Yeah I'm starting to feel you might have been right after his admission post and his last post about me knowing alignments to justify my reads. Something feels really wrong from him.
LOL

I put the FOS on you, you put the FOS on me... wow.

The mindset of people posting (and how their knowledge of the game) is 100% something you should consider when scum hunting.

You supporting my vote on Rarity makes no sense in context of reality. You flip-flopping from Rarity to myself based reads like this;

1. Kilran spots something scummy in Rarity, votes.

2. Rascyc adds a me too vote.

3. Rarity points out the flaw in Kilran's vote.

4. Kilran goes oops. Looks at the dodgy me too vote.

5. Rascyc decides Kilran feels really wrong.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Rascyc posted:

Kilran is your last game really March 2013?

Yeah, I quit Mafia for a while because it was consuming a lot of time I don't have.

Also, forget everything I said about Rascyc, I thought it was him who did the 'me too' vote on Rarity, it wasn't

It was in fact CapitalistPig who made that vote. Sorry!

I wasn't expecting this game to go up on Friday nor people to be so active at the weekend. So I've been trying to keep up while at a photoshoot today and at a BBQ yesterday. Clearly, I have failed to do that :P

But my logic is sound, even if don't quite get the details right...

##unvote

##vote CapitalistPig

Love you too, Yuming my dear!

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Juanito posted:

Seems like you're just chasing after easy targets. Or at least make a real case, but "posting gibberish" and "throwing votes around" isn't a good one for Cpig.

TBF, based on his involvement in this game and lack of effective contribution, I'm comfortable with a d1 lynch of CapitalistPig.

At best, he's establishing a distracting meta style on the off chance he's scum in any individual game of mafia. At worst, he's trolling.

His votes have been terribad, following any plausible sounding argument at any given moment with zero critical analysis. Look at his vote on Rarity. It was based on completely flawed reasoning by myself. You know who does that? People who don't care who they are voting...

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
Did everyone forget this is d1 or has the game changed that much in 15 months?

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

merk posted:

What do you think of Crazyeyes and the votes on Crazyeyes? Your CPig vote is not going to persuade anyone of anything.

Yeah ... Will do a proper read through tonight (with the benefit of a laptop).

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
So starting my epic re-read.

Meinberg posted:

If you're really a vig and you really do off me, I'd consider taking a careful look at winvirus.

Because, you see, I'm town.

This still sticks out to me... WV clearly is making a joke on p1. This genuinely looks like someone panicking that they might be vigged.

Meinberg posted:

Oh nooooooo.....!

Also, winvirus is legitimately lying. It may be for comedic effect, but whatever.

I just can't get my head round this. Checking Votefinder, Meinberg isn't new. But self proclaims having an 'awkward meta'.

Rarity posted:

Yeah, you reacted to jokes really weird in Civ 2 as... well...

But you were scum in that game! :aaa:

We're through the looking glass here people.

Meinberg posted:

I thought Winvirus wasn't joking, but considering how early in the game we are, I didn't have any tools to properly defend myself. So I flailed.

What?

Is no one seeing this?

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
And "Oh that's just Meinberg!" isn't a defence.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

wins32767 posted:

##vote Chaoslord

Sorry you drew scum pal.

Kilran, I'm also very sorry you drew scum your first game back in a long time.

Hey Wins, did you forget you were in this game?

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

CCKeane posted:

It's not a defense, but I've played a few games with Meinberg and he does come off as awkward - and that means that he's an easy candidate for a push by scum (or unfamiliar town), so you get a lot of noise in there as well.

Fair. But there's awkward posting (whatever that even means...) and then there is "Don't vig me! Winvirus is scummy! Shoot him!" but what I don't get is the "Winvirus is legit lying". Clearly he was. This just seems like a qualification of his earlier reaction.

I've finished re-reading. I promised myself I wouldn't get into posting huge 'wall o'texts' anymore. No one reads them and they don't actually persuade anyone of anything.

Overally, I'm really liking Somberbrero's posts. They seem genuinely in the right mindspace.

I honestly can't see why everyone is bent out of shape about merk. I don't think anything he has particularly done is scummy.

Rarity is the one who stands out to me. Maybe Yuming too (but I always think Yuming is scum, so I'm not going to go into that). Rarity feels like she is manipulating people. None of her points feel genuine and I liked really liked this post from merk.

##unvote

##vote Rarity

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Somberbrero posted:

Hey thanks, but I'm having a lot of trouble with this post. It reads like a scum sandwich of "hey, x and y are cool, z sucks though." Positive feelings are way easier to fake as scum and it's weird that this post is at best 50% positive reads. I dunno how much I buy into buddying as an overall scum tactic but it's very much 'textbook scum' and I can't deny that it definitely put me off my guard here.

Actually reading this in detail, I had missed that you are suspicious of yuming. Seems like you should really be on that, at least say why because I'm getting the opposite read. Rarity always reads as scum to me too but I am not going to back off her because of that this game.

Like I said, I'm not going into a massive wall o'text. Especially on d1. I'm getting ~feelings~ from Rarity... in my head, zie is sat in a big chair like Blofeld from James Bond, occasionally chiming with a post pushing people around a game board with one of those sticks they used to move armies round the map of Europe in war films.

I'll get to my feelings on Yuming in a mo.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Rascyc posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone say they always read Yuming as scum, that's a new one.

Yuming played exactly 1 game before I started and we played in a LOT of games while we cut our teeth on Mafia.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
See, where it started was Yuming going "CapitalistPig is ~~~~so~~~~~ town :sun: :sun:" on the basis of a handful of posts which are entirely useless joke posts / votes. Then Wins asks about ChaosLord...

yuming posted:

He hasn't posted much. I want to see more before I make a call!

And in the next breath he hasn't posted enough. That's incredibly inconsistent for her. I know she's got her theory of mind but how can you possibly read anything into CapitalistPig's thought process?

This post stinks to me. WV reads to me as someone making some jokes and then getting quickly exasperated. I really don't get how she reaches her conclusion and it strikes me as manufactured.

Part of the reason I think Yuming is scummy is she has this habit of ~~deciding~~ something is fact and then making the evidence fit. Like here. WinVirus was clearly making a lovely joke. That's obvious. And the fact that people thought it was some kind of stupid Scum Slip is where his tone gets exasperated.

Yuming states her entire argument is down to his tone. I just feels like she's spinning out facts.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

merk posted:

He did think yuming was scum on day 1 in the last game he played. His justification there was that yuming posted once and then bailed which seems the opposite here... but whatever. That's kind of a null tell to me.

Yuming effort posts when she's town. She loves being VT. If she has a role, she tends to hang back. When she's scum, she hangs back.

But this is ~15 months ago Yuming~. What do I know? I just do not like her argument and feel I've explained why.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

kilran posted:

Yuming effort posts when she's town. She loves being VT. If she has a role, she tends to hang back. When she's scum, she hangs back.

But this is ~15 months ago Yuming~. What do I know? I just do not like her argument and feel I've explained why.

*Mafia Edit*

When she's scum, she limits her posting.

I remember several wall o'text wars between her and Wins. And her and myself. Heck her and anyone.

But people's play style evolves and it would be a disservice to think that she hasn't. Its just I think her argument for WV is bogus and it rings an alarm bell v:(v

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Rarity posted:

She's clearly effort posting in this game so why do you think she's scum?

Haha that's not Yuming effort posting but its early in the game.

And I've told you why: I explained it in my post.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Rarity posted:

Ah wait, you have explained your case. My question should be: how do you feel about what you just said conflicting with that?

See and this is why I am voting you. Prodding people along on your little mafia map of europe.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Somberbrero posted:

I'm not going to coach you on how to post but there's an obvious difference between content and white noise. If you're town then yeah I would appreciate it if you would stop posting scummy so that we don't waste a lynch.

I think this kilran/yuming stuff is actually distracting and bad and I'm sorry I started some of it because it's giving people something easy to respond to rather than talking about merk. I wanna hear more merkchat. I also want someone else to vote winvirus but we occupy a world of constant disappointments.

Which is why I didn't want to get into it. Its my opinion based on out of date data. However, at least you all know why I am not just going to trust Yuming and vote WV.

I do urge you to go back through the thread and re-read Rarity in context of other people's posts.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
Anyway, I'm going to bed. I'll respond further tomorrow.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
Thanks to my ridiculous commute being more ridiculous, I've been home for about 1 hour and I'm going to bed soon.

Suffice to say I am disappointed that no one has even bothered to re-read Rarity. I'm sensing that this is not going to happen d1. I have the instincts of a journalistic investigator. All I need is a lead.

I'm not voting merk. I think CE is a bad vote but its preferable to merk right now. CE posts weird and gets voted most games. Its an easy target and I don't like it. Similarly, merk has stuck his neck out, rubbed a few people the wrong way and if you're honest, that's the main reason you are voting him.

Yuming popped in, said a few things and when I called her out, she didn't even notice. I didn't even get a "rude" from her.

I'm saying it now: my vote on CE is a poo poo one and I feel forced into this. I'm not going to be around for deadline (FYI, I never am, I'm in the UK, so get used to it). If my vote is going to count, I'd rather have it count for the lesser of two evils.

##unvote

##vote Crazy Eyes

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

yuming posted:

Here I am :sun:

Ah there you are... your ability to sense I'm name dropping you is as uncanny as ever :D

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

JakeP posted:

I don't think I have ever seen a hedgier vote than kilrans vote right there

You can't really spin it as hedgy when I've literally stated "Hey, my vote is for the vote leader because if people are going to vote CE or merk, I'm going to vote CE".

If anyone bothered to actually re-read Rarity and discuss that, I'd vote her or Meinberg in a heartbeat.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Tremendous Taste posted:

who should I vote for, Yuming

Yourself. And do us all a favour.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
Alright. In case people see some sense, I'll leave my vote for Rarity. At least I'm voting with conviction.

##unvote

##vote Rarity

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

kilran posted:

Suffice to say I am disappointed that no one has even bothered to re-read Rarity. I'm sensing that this is not going to happen d1. I have the instincts of a journalistic investigator. All I need is a lead.

I'm not voting merk. I think CE is a bad vote but its preferable to merk right now. CE posts weird and gets voted most games. Its an easy target and I don't like it. Similarly, merk has stuck his neck out, rubbed a few people the wrong way and if you're honest, that's the main reason you are voting him.

Hey look who was right.

I wouldn't be my paranoid-don't-assume-anything self if I didn't suspect merk of going for the Magic Bus Trophy but that will be the last place I look for scum for a few days.

I'm not spending all d2 defending myself from Yuming because frankly, lynching me would be doing me a favour (I quit mafia because I don't have the time to play as I would want and I guess I still don't have that time but I don't quit games). Also she's completely wrong: she picked out that one post but if she actually read around it, she'd know I wasn't casing her! I was answering Somb as to why I always think Yuming is scummy and wow, what I said was true! Funny that.

I will be re-reading in context of flips.

Suffice to say I think WV's claim is bullshit but my feelings on Somb have greatly soured but I want to look at things again before I say more.

Also, Wins, are you actually going to play on d2?

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
Mafia Edit;

FFS phone posting is the worst. This was meant to be quoted in my post;

kilran posted:

Yuming states her entire argument is down to his tone. I just feels like she's spinning out facts.

I said that right at the time I was explaining to Somb.

gently caress it, I bought internet access on my train commute. For you, Ecco, for you.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

yuming posted:

I... have a town read on Pig for like the first time ever.
I would like Yuming to explain this however.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Somberbrero posted:

Yuming town mvp 2014.

Also, I agree with you that Pig is really posting his guts out here. I like it, but I'm very confused.
Ok, am I missing something? Why do both you feel CPig is town on the basis of nothing?

Does this belief still ring true?

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Little Mac posted:

It's possible but it would be super-dumb. It'd be much smarter to not say anything as scum and blend into the background. There's a lot of players this game. Wouldn't be hard.

Wouldn't be the first time WV faked a cop investigation as Town to get someone he thought was a scum killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
This says it all.

Reading through, Rarity has all the classic scum tells:

1. Not really casing
2. Too much discussion of side issues
3. Using too many mafia buzzwords which don't really mean anything to justify arguments

Also this highlights defending her scumbuddy.

##unvote

##vote Rarity

Little Mac posted:

I think if he was claiming just cop that'd be true but he's even including that he might not be sane. I dunno, I think were he scum and lying entirely then there'd be no reason to even claim it.

If WV made a fake claim and included a sanity test, then if he flips town, we don't instantly lynch him.

wins32767 posted:

I'm on the fence on merk right now. My gut is saying scum (and I like yuming's case), but I've got this nagging voice in the back of my head saying no for reasons I can't really articulate. Rarity's vote is really bad though.

Hi Wins... on the fence much?

kilran posted:

And "Oh that's just Meinberg!" isn't a defence.

Apparently it was! :D

chaoslord posted:

Some of us like not having avatars :colbert:

hahahaha

• Locked thread