Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Dear readers, let me tell you a story of shadows, ghosts and spooky material!

It started in a dark, gloomy october night of the year 2011, when a blind, crazy witch used her foul magicks to great what would be one of the best if not the best webcomics that ever grac...

Ok...

Two rude witch kids are fudging things up in Astral Aves, a webcomic by Space-Bird.

The main two characters are Astra The Black and Lorn Avenarius who get embroiled in an intrigue between the Diurne (the real world) and the Nocturne (the ghost world) after they acted like idiot kids who should have stayed at home instead of playing with fabric of reality.

Also Astra's dad and Lorn's aunt, Strato the Black and Wind Avenarius have important matters to do like putting an end to a war, doing diplomacy between the kingdoms and befriending ghosts.

It's a pretty webcomics with a neat style that is reminiscient of Leiji Mastumoto's works and "The Rose of Versailles" by Riyoko Ikeda.

It also improved a lot between the first pages and the current ones...

...and the gnarly coloring, too!

Also, a message from Pallo: Don't forget to leave some salt after you leave, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.
Seeing this thread reminded me to catch up with this comic. It's actually really great after the first four chapters. You pointed out the art, and the writing has also gotten a lot better. It feels like the author heard that stories should start close to the action and avoid exposition and took things to an extreme. The setting is very interesting once you get the gist of it, I swear. Also, Astra is really taciturn for a main character early on, so it takes a while to get a sense of her personality. Chapter 5 and onward is rad.

Pippa is obviously going to defeat Saiph somehow. I hope she just straight up beats him in a swordfight, to contrast with Lorn and Astra's more sneaky approach, but I expect she'll negotiate.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I fukken love this comic. Everyone should read it and wish their hair was half as good as everyone's in this comic.

That last example of a comic page is a little spoilery for someone totally new to the comic, though.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

This is the most roundabout way to fire a cannon I have ever seen. I love the Black Horn even when they're being villains.

Also Fortnight is a dorky name, I hope he comes to realize this one day.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Here's my assessment:

1: Pallo should be the main character. Whenever Pallo isn't featured, Astra should be asking, "Where's Pallo?"

That's it, really.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
one of the best parts of this comic is how the nocturnes consult a bestiary whenever they see one of the human characters walking around in their realm

e: also that they're really impressed by mundane things, like falling through a wooden deck

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

A big flaming stink posted:

e: also that they're really impressed by mundane things, like falling through a wooden deck

idk I think it's pretty impressive that we can ingest the flesh of the dead and wood-based materials and gain power from it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I haven't really been feeling AA since the timeskip, but watching a ghost explain gunpowder like it's some sort of magic spell is just the greatest thing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yesssssssss.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
man all the bad guys are pretty incompetent. but not like normal badguy incompetent, more like outsource to the contractor with the lowest bid incompetent

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's not as though the good guys are much better :v:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

man all the bad guys are pretty incompetent. but not like normal badguy incompetent, more like outsource to the contractor with the lowest bid incompetent

Yeah sounds like the kind of people you could actually sucker into being henchmen to me.

Related but I still love Space-Bird's short comic from the last 24 hour comic day thing a lot.

I guess it reminds me a lot of what I'd do when I was in high school and my parents were the absolute worst.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Autonomous Monster posted:

I haven't really been feeling AA since the timeskip, but watching a ghost explain gunpowder like it's some sort of magic spell is just the greatest thing.
Sunset Saiph confirmed to be a Firing Range goon.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I will never get tired of spirits marveling at all things tangible.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Saiph's so impressed! It's adorable.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Pippa, no, you're supposed to take in the former badguy into your team after they switch sides mid-battle when their leader's ill-advised plan goes horribly awry, not tie them up like a reasonable person. What kind of plucky protagonist are you?

I honestly thought that Pippa would be adding a witch into her Sunshine Gang. I wonder if they still call themselves the Sunshine Gang.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Pippa, no, you're supposed to take in the former badguy into your team after they switch sides mid-battle when their leader's ill-advised plan goes horribly awry, not tie them up like a reasonable person. What kind of plucky protagonist are you?

I honestly thought that Pippa would be adding a witch into her Sunshine Gang. I wonder if they still call themselves the Sunshine Gang.

she already has a couple witches in her gang though, they're just off on their personal sidequests

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Nuns with Guns posted:

idk I think it's pretty impressive that we can ingest the flesh of the dead and wood-based materials and gain power from it.

Yeah the ghosts seem pretty spot on. I am weak to fire and sadness.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I love seeing the dumb pack mount introduced with the same little name + title box that spooky spirits have. "Dindrane - The Riding Alpaca".

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
I can't believe this thread is about Astral Aves.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Cat Mattress posted:

I love seeing the dumb pack mount introduced with the same little name + title box that spooky spirits have. "Dindrane - The Riding Alpaca".

The title cards for new characters are always one of my favorite little touches in Astral Aves.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Rincewind posted:

The title cards for new characters are always one of my favorite little touches in Astral Aves.

The best title card is for Mega Orb Pallo, which totally deserves a new card and is totally a real power-up like a super saiyan and not just a puffed-up pufferfish.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Oh geez, hi everyone! There is a thread here for my comic! I figured I should probably speak up a little bit. I'm generally pretty shy about this stuff, and deathly afraid about getting muddled up in conversation or breathing down readers necks, so I try to kind of take a quieter authorial approach. I just finished chapter 7, so you can read it all back to back if you like! I can also try to answer some questions and address a few things mentioned in this thread.

Dire Wombat posted:

It feels like the author heard that stories should start close to the action and avoid exposition and took things to an extreme

This is 100% true. I wanted to go for a full out fly on the wall approach when I first started. I really like stories that just throw the reader into a world, and it's up to the reader to figure out what's going on...it took me a bit to realize that's asking a heck of a lot to a casual reader, and I tried to refine it from there, I was probably a little too ambitious going out of the gate, but I'm pretty happy with hiding in background details and clues to the story.

Cat Mattress posted:

Astra had a swan named Percival, sadly he only got to be in one scene, Dindrane is a reference to that, because I am a terrible dweeb. I'd also like to do more 'Ask Lantern Zhao' Questions...the idea behind that is an 'in world' response to reader questions, but I haven't had time to do a bunch, I could definitely use some questions though. Anyway, thanks a bunch for reading!

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 24, 2014

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I look forward to the upcoming reunion.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Compared to the standard webcomic tendency to go follow the characters in painstaking detail, taking years of real life to go through weeks, I kind of like your brand of "it's 10 years later and everyone's dead!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Compared to the standard webcomic tendency to go follow the characters in painstaking detail, taking years of real life to go through weeks, I kind of like your brand of "it's 10 years later and everyone's dead!"

Thanks! (I think). You see it in a lot of other media besides webcomics too, television shows...long running novel series. Shaking up the status quo can actually be pretty off putting to some people, I always wanted to do a project where people grew and changed over time and I'm glad most readers have been on board with that!

• Locked thread