Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
And it's surely true. I mean even if the guy who brought the indictment is a Pat Fitzgerald type, this all happened because of politics. In this specific case you can't remove any of the context because it's all relevant.

Here's a good rundown from before the indictment came down:

http://www.texasobserver.org/everything-wanted-know-rick-perrys-new-scandal/

And after:

http://www.texasobserver.org/rick-perry-indicted-two-counts/

For Texas stuff, the Observer is usually a good go-to source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
No, no, I don't disagree - but even within that narrative it's all political. This is the issue. He didn't rob a liquor store, he's playing politics and they're playing politics back. There's no doubt that Rick Perry is old-school corrupt like the day is long and that all of this is entirely about political corruption, but this is about the worst case imaginable to bring against him because there's no way to unwind the actions of either side from one another.

He isn't on trial for the UT stuff or the pharma stuff or the cancer stuff or anything else, he's on trial for a political pissing match with a DA's office that's notoriously political as well and the central issue is my corrupt Governor trying to force out of office a corrupt DA. He's leaving office soon as well, so it's not really helping to remove him from power.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oh they can do worse than they already are, lest we forget the Dream Team. Wendy Davis is no great shakes, but she's the best thing they've tried in a long time. Bill White would've been an excellent Governor, but in American democracy we don't appoint technocrats, you have to actually go out and win elections. Bill White, for all the positive points about the man, was about as engaging and charismatic publicly as wallpaper paste.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
14 years in power I think the Observer nailed it, you just get comfortable with power. One day you do something that's so completely over the line that it's obvious, but you don't even know it because nothing has ever backfired on you. I'm still not sure the legal case has legs, but he obviously abused his power very publicly for what amounts to no gain. He's not a hugely bright man, though, and he's been in power forever, so I guess it makes sense.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Lots of corrupt people aren't accused of crimes against the law. Go watch the videos and read the transcripts of her asking to have the Sheriff come release her and threatening his deputies with jail time and so on. Yeah, she's corrupt.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Allow me to transport you to bizarro D&D, where a Republican DA is arrested for a DUI and stats calling for her buddies in the police department to bail her out and threatening officers with jail time and that's not considered corrupt.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

stinkles1112 posted:

I don't think the (exceedingly obvious) corruption of the DA has any relevance to the situation with Perry though. The kind of cronyist corruption of trying to weasel your way out of a DUI by name dropping your friends in the PD and throwing around empty threats of jail time is a little more, I don't know, benign? than what Perry is doing which is pretty objectively an abuse of power. In my view it should have nothing to do with political party or consistency of prosecution or whatever, if politicians break the law we need to start nailing these fuckers.
It's inextricably linked with the case. It's 100% impossible to understand the facts of the case and say it has no relevance. He cited the situation in his call for her to step down.

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't know, if the guy was actually jailed for it, served his sentence, and agreed not to seek re-election? Its not really... corruption unless it actually helps, is it? Attempted corruption, maybe?
How do you know what corruption does? I can't prove that the campaign donations of the Kochs buy favorable legislation, I only know that money goes in one end and favorable legislation comes out the other. It's not always exactly what they want, but does that mean it didn't work?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

GlyphGryph posted:

What is this weird loving thing where people think consequences, effects and outcomes don't actually matter?
Are you in possession of special knowledge that the Travis County DA didn't receive an even stronger sentence after threatening deputies and law enforcement officials just out of the goodness of someone's heart? I bet all the money in my pocket that even as someone who looks like a retired white dude military member, if I physically resist arrest, scream at the deputies to bring in their boss because he will let me off and threaten them with lawsuits and jail time then a 45 day sentence is the least of my worries. Whatta you think? Care to keep carrying the water for an obviously corrupt politicial official or not?

GlyphGryph posted:

So why does it matter? How, exactly, is it important? If you're going to make an argument, make it, don't just point at the obviously bad person and say "bad person!" and expect that to justify someone else doing something illegal, especially when the first person saw jail time for it!
You obviously have not read the indictment. I know you want this to be punditland where feelings rule and we can all just feel ourselves to death, but the reality of what happened is like 100% public record. It's been linked and cited in this thread and it's not my job to go around re-linking and re-quoting things that have already been linked and quoted. It's your job to read poo poo. If I make some wacky claim that's way off the reservation and cite some unknown authority, then I'm responsible to produce. Otherwise, basically, get off your lazy rear end, you know?

Thank ka!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Well in that case, Rick Perry just vetoed funding for a department he didn't like. Murder isn't murder and not wanting to fund something you don't want to fund is just not wanting to fund something you don't want to fund. Case closed.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

GlyphGryph posted:

Are you aware that you say some really stupid loving poo poo and appear to have difficulty reading other people's posts and figuring out what they are saying and with the entire concept of one point being relevant to another point rather than just related?
Now now, there's no need to get personal. No one's touching your cookie bag. It's just people arguing on the internet, it happens all the time.

Anyway, GlyphGryph aside, IANAL but my reading of the charges is that they're linked - as in, if the first count doesn't stick then the second count doesn't either and vice versa. It is an interesting use of the law, is this pretty standard or what? The first count basically says he misused state property, period. That's the entire first count. In order for that to be true, the second count also has to be true. If they don't find that the second count is true then he didn't misuse state property. Sounds like a shaky case. I mean it sounds like it's entirely possible that the just would come back and say yes on count two but no on count one because vetoing funding is a normal part of his job.

Obviously, I also know full well that he did this to get back at the people who were investigating him and making his life difficult, but Republicans in Texas going after the Travis County DA is news on par with the Travis County DA going after Republicans. The curious part to me is whether what he did is actually something you can't do. I don't mean among the hyperventilating lefties, but among people who are trying to view this objectively. There's obviously a law about coercing a public official, which is basically the second count of his indictment, but if you're the Governor and you're required to either sign or veto funding for stuff and you say it all very publicly then doesn't that sort of fall under your powers of being the Governor? It seems like the case would be a lot stronger if he had hidden everything and there were deleted emails or voice recordings unearthed from his Niggerhead Lair.

The thing that gives me pause is that the investigator they appointed really sounds like there's more going on than he's been able to charge and he seems like a pretty legit guy. I don't know anything about him, but he seems pretty well respected.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

MrBims posted:

She had a .23 BAC. You're, uh, kinda not 100% accountable for everything you say while under the influence of mind-altering drugs.
Stop whitewashing the Bush Presidency.

My Imaginary GF posted:

No, I did watch the video. She has not commited an illegal act of misconduct in the video. You are allowed to imply that you will use your official powers for political purposes. It is illegal to directly use your official powers for political purposes. She did not use her official powers, nor did she say directly that she would use her official powers, for political/personal gain. Meanwhile, Perry used his official power (veto) for a political purpose (force Lehmberg to resign). That was Perry's public statement.
Well Governor Perry threatened her, but she still has her job, so I guess he's clean too!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It is, however, Rick Perry's debate strategy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Well, I'll leave it at her not being the one up on charges, so it doesn't really matter I guess, but I'm pretty sure that when a DA threatens the job of the law enforcement officers arresting her that's a personal threat just as much as "if you don't blow me, you're fired" is sexual harassment when a manager to whom you're not a direct report says it (even if he's drunk).

Elotana makes an interesting point with his last post in that the (c) exception actually does look like it could help exonerate Governor Goodhair. Vetoing funding is basically a normal part of his job. Now if he'd gotten drunk, arrested and indicted and then screamed at her threatening to have her fired, he would obviously be not guilty.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
How about "arguing on the internet"?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, I agree that's going to be their case from what it looks like. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

.23 BAC, how is she not dead?
It's even better - it was .239 several hours after her arrest.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Venusian Weasel posted:

This seems like a very pedantic argument, though (not you, just in general). What difference should it make in the order in which things happened in this case? Isn't "I will do x unless you do y" basically the same as "I did x, because she didn't do y"?

The talking point that's already catching on among the right here is that Perry was attempting to use his legal powers of veto to remove an irresponsible person out of an important position. I'm just confused about how the law puts him in the wrong on that, especially from some of the posts in this thread. If I'm going to argue against this narrative I'd really like to establish exactly what he did wrong.
That's the problem, there's not a 100% clear answer to that question. There won't be until it goes to trial, I reckon. The case rests on the answer to whether what he did was legal or not, basically, so there's no "look at the video of him accepting a bribe" type gotcha to fight either way with.

MisterBadIdea posted:

Hey, remember Bridgegate? That looked, and looks, pretty bad, right? Even though Christie's still standing and the investigation is probably dead, it's going to taint his career for a while. Because 1) he made the lives of citizens intentionally worse, 2) he did for his own selfish gain, and 3) he did it hidden well away from the public eye.

Rick Perry, meanwhile, 1) was only targeting a politician who committed a serious crime, 2) he gave a reason that he can at least make a case for to the general public, and 3) he did it out in the open instead of skulking around. None of that has anything to do with whether his methods were legal (at least I think it doesn't, I'm not a lawyer), but I don't really see this affecting his support or popularity without either serious jail time (not likely) or some major new revelations.
Yeah, that's basically what the Observer or Tribune summary was and I agree. Unless something really unexpected comes out during the course of this case then it's not going to amount to much even if he gets convicted before winning on appeal.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 17, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Trabisnikof posted:

There's a good article up on The Texas Tribune, that discusses many of the points in this thread: http://www.texastribune.org/2014/08/16/five-things-know-about-perry-indictment/

Also the article points out that the prosecutor in this case isn't from the Travis County DA and was appointed by a Republican judge.
Yeah, I've mentioned him a few times. Whatever may have been set in motion by the DA was clearly carried out by this guy who seems to have legit credentials. His statement that what he had seen really worried him is making me curious what else is yet to be uncovered.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, I forgot to point out that .239 indicates that there was 1.239 pints of pure alcohol in her blood, which is fairly normal for native Texans at that time of night.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Trabisnikof posted:

There's a reason DWI checkpoints never passes the ledg....
God bless long-time State Senator Gonzalo Barrientos, wherever he is now, who used to buy me shots at the bar every week when I was 18.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'd bet just like there are more white welfare recipients there are more white politicians in jail. Just off the top of my head in the last few years there's been like every living Governor of Illinois, some living Governors or Louisiana, Duke Cunningham, James Traficant, Bob Ney, Jack Abramoff and so on. Of black politicians I can only think of Jesse Jackson Jr., Kwame Kilpatrick (are we going to get into mayoral level here?) and William Jefferson.

I'd definitely agree that a wealthy, white politician is going to get off with a slap on the wrist more of the time than a black politician, but just by sheer weight of numbers I think my people in politics probably still hold the edge in going to jail for crimes, heh. DON'T TRY TO TAKE THAT AWAY FROM US OKAY.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I agree completely on that, which is why I think this case will go nowhere.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's not a settled issue, that's the thing. This isn't yet at all like the Blagojevich case where he and his staff were convicted of wire fraud for trying to structure transactions and then many other things. It may turn out that way, and maybe this investigator has the goods, but as of right now it's one of those things where everyone gets to have an opinion, it seems, because the law doesn't seem to be 100% clear. Perry hasn't been accused of all this other adjacent criminal behavior, his whole alleged crime happened right out in public and involved his powers. That's obviously murky.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This is why I wonder if the special investigator has something more. He made comments to the effect that he was pretty unnerved by what he'd discovered during his investigation. Now that's posturing of course, but it doesn't mean there's nothing there.

WHAT HAPPENED NEXT WILL SHOCK YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's not Governor Perry's fault that there's a crayon shortage.

Elotana posted:

Why bring these weak-sauce charges, though? He's only had the special grand jury for 11 months now. You can keep a normal grand jury impaneled for 18 months, and I think a special grand jury for 36 months.
There are only three possible explanations.

1) He's incompetent
2) He's lowballing the initial charge to lure the Governor into something
3) This is all he's got and he thinks it's a good case

EDIT: Oops, it's 03:00 here - respect for the office.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
And stupid. Which, you know, is possible given how long he's been in power and how not-brilliant he is to begin with.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Omi-Polari posted:

I'm in Travis County and most of my friends are convinced -- ecstatic really -- that Perry is going down on this.
Wouldn't be the first thing he's been down on.

thrakkorzog posted:

Texas really historically hasn't been all that pro-booze, with plenty of dry counties throughout the state. It's easier to spot the county line in some places by the liquor stores on the county line, rather than any sign that you passed through a county.
That and dance halls. The only place with more Baptists than church on Sunday morning in Brazoria County were the liquor stores and honky tonks right across the Galveston County line on Saturday night.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Business up front, libel in the back.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Sounds about right, actually. It certainly looks like a flimsy case, but no one knows what the prosecutor has unearthed and he talked a bit like he had something (which he would do either way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

This is probably not the best way to spend your Sunday evening, Rick.

Hahaha, awesome. This is a good old Texas throwdown now. Hopefully someone will shoot at someone in a bar at some point.

• Locked thread