Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

I too am a veteran of the console wars, and now, as the rubble has been fully cleared, admit to being a war criminal and a turncoat. I was a die-hard NES lover, to the point where I can still name 95% of the US releases off the top of my head (yes, a special kind of Nintendo nerd) but when it came time to move to the 16 bit era at around 12, I jumped ship at the very last second and switched to Sega, and rode them hard through the rest of their life as hardware makers. I would get into fights at school over Sega doing what Nintendon't. I nearly even bought a Nomad at one point. I've made my bed and now must lie in it.

Well, that sucks. Sega Genesis was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
NES/SNES kid checking in here.

Original TMNT was an absolute bitch.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Kelfeftaf posted:

Was there a reason Squaresoft didn't release FFV in the U.S. aside from its just not being a very good game?

localizing ffv would have been a considerable feat considering the density of the code. *inserts boring anecdote about typefacing*

maaaaaaaaan, earthbound and mother 3 are really good games.

play secret of evermore.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Robbie Fowler posted:

NES/SNES kid checking in here.

Original TMNT was an absolute bitch.

the dam level was sorta overrated for hardness though. You die/restart like 3 times tops and go "Oh ok, gotta go this way"

Forgot what level I didnt get through, think it was the one after that. Some pit of fire I kept trying to jump over in a burning building or some poo poo, its been a long time.

quote:

play secret of evermore.

This was good too. Not Secret of Mana good, but a fun game.

Das Boo posted:

I managed to get a huge list of level passwords off 1997's AOL for Ecco. I put in the code for the next-to-last level and there were water tunnels in the sky and poo poo and I didn't know what the gently caress.

Ecco loving terrified me as a kid. It was zoomed in so close that poo poo would just suddenly happen. Every level was a jump-scare haven.

And then the final level/boss haha. loving bizarre.

And those octopus dorks with their "you cant move fast past me or I'll whip ya ;)" poo poo was annoying.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 18, 2014

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I managed to get a huge list of level passwords off 1997's AOL for Ecco. I put in the code for the next-to-last level and there were water tunnels in the sky and poo poo and I didn't know what the gently caress.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Durgat posted:

I downloaded the entire SNES library a few months ago and have been playing it on and off. Are there any RPGs you guys would recommend besides Chrono Trigger, Zelda, and Secret of Mana?

Based on your little list there, stop what you are doing right now and play Terranigma. This is actually a giant secret if you're american but since you have roms its no big deal.

the rest of the soul series might do it for you as well. Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia. Terranigma puts those to shame though. Also, apologies for the realpost.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Izumi Konata posted:

play secret of evermore.

completely forgot about this game. pretty fun stuff. i remember it getting bad reviews for some reason?

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

the dam level was sorta overrated for hardness though. You die/restart like 3 times tops and go "Oh ok, gotta go this way"

Forgot what level I didnt get through, think it was the one after that. Some pit of fire I kept trying to jump over in a burning building or some poo poo, its been a long time.

Dam level was easy, I got as far as the technodrome as a kid. Never made it inside but.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The only nes game I have good memories of is little nemo.

Explains a lot.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Don't feel bad if you pass over Earthbound. I couldn't get past the damned inventory system. The game throws so much crap at you, I had to start trashing stuff just to fit in "Key Items".
Yes, items you HAVE to have take up valuable inventory space.
you have access to escargo express for a reason you scrub

by the way, i hate how every article written about earthbound in the past... let's say three years includes the word "quirky" as a descriptive adjective. that game isn't in the same league as an indie movie where a worthless guy falls for a "manic pixie dream girl" played by zooey deschanel, which are also described as "quirky." gently caress off

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
rofl

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Durgat posted:

I downloaded the entire SNES library a few months ago and have been playing it on and off. Are there any RPGs you guys would recommend besides Chrono Trigger, Zelda, and Secret of Mana?

final fantasy VI and Illusion of Gaia are my two favorites.

Super mario RPG is also amazing. All the top people at Nintendo and Square (at the time) working on it

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Kelfeftaf posted:

In order of quality:

1) Final Fantasy VI
2) Super Mario RPG
3) Earthbound
4) Illusion of Gaia
5) Final Fantasy IV
6) Breath of Fire I+II (II is much better than I from what I remember; same goes for Lufia)
7) Lufia I+II
8) Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

I'm not known for agreeing with goons. This list is mostly accurate, though 8 is entirely incorrect and Mystic Quest is dogshit. I guess potentially you could enjoy it ironically?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I'm not known for agreeing with goons. This list is mostly accurate, though 8 is entirely incorrect and Mystic Quest is dogshit. I guess potentially you could enjoy it ironically?

I find it hard to believe but some people claim to like it. Whatever. Babby's first bland rear end RPG.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Nathilus posted:

Whatever. Babby's first bland rear end RPG.

Yeah, this. I haven't played it since I was, like, 10, so I might be a little biased. And I still put pretty much every other SNES RPG I could think of above it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
If you can't enjoy MQ, then you are just bland and dead inside.

yes, it is simple. It was made for first time RPG players. It also has a hard rock/metal soundtrack, and interactive objects on the overworld.
IE: Blow up rocks with your bomb weapon, cut down trees with axe, ect, etc.

No one is claiming " OMG BEST RPG EVAR ONE ONE ONE"

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

yes, it is simple. It was made for first time RPG players. It also has a hard rock/metal soundtrack, and interactive objects on the overworld.

It's a really poo poo game for the time period it came out in. At that point SNES RPGs were already getting some interesting settings, mechanics, and so forth. Final Fantasy IV had come out a year before and ended with you flying a mechanical space whale to the moon gently caress yeah.

Then this POS came along doing almost nothing new and being pretty loving boring, besides. It was about to be the crown of all the glory days of JRPGs, no one had to put up with this me too bullshit.

I'm not saying you're wrong though we all have our own opinions. I just think you're dumb and lame.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I'm just saying if you can't sit down and have a little silly fun, with a rocking sound track, then you are lame and dumb.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Nathilus posted:

It's a really poo poo game for the time period it came out in. At that point SNES RPGs were already getting some interesting settings, mechanics, and so forth. Final Fantasy IV had come out a year before and ended with you flying a mechanical space whale to the moon gently caress yeah.

Then this POS came along doing almost nothing new and being pretty loving boring, besides. It was about to be the crown of all the glory days of JRPGs, no one had to put up with this me too bullshit.

I took all of this into account when I was playing this game as an 8 year old.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm just saying if you can't sit down and have a little silly fun, with a rocking sound track, then you are lame and dumb.

This is the ideaology that makes Legacy of the Wizard one of my NES favorites.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Kelfeftaf posted:

I took all of this into account when I was playing this game as an 8 year old.

you were dumb as dirt for an 8 year old then. i wasn't a genius of a kid myself and I could still figure out that this game was dogshit compared to the other rpgs on offer.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
I must have been younger than 8. I think the only other Super Nintendo RPG out at the time was Final Fantasy IV. That's still no excuse, of course.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Gamer dudes on CL don't gently caress around.

Moron just tell us how much you want u dumb gently caress. U keep on adverstising your games stating just taking offers with all your games . U want more than pricecharting. Com and I know u want more than what they sell on ebay. Stop wasting our time when u asking more than what there are worth. Harvest moon sells for around 180 with book on ebay and chrono sells for around 100 with book if u lucky. Just grow some balls and tells us how much u want u piece of poo poo. If u asking more than what they sell for on ebay then stop selling here. This is craiglist not ebay unless u so dumb u don't know how to sell on ebay.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
the true masterpiece of the nes will always be Burgertime

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Krustic posted:

Gamer dudes on CL don't gently caress around.

Moron just tell us how much you want u dumb gently caress. U keep on adverstising your games stating just taking offers with all your games . U want more than pricecharting. Com and I know u want more than what they sell on ebay. Stop wasting our time when u asking more than what there are worth. Harvest moon sells for around 180 with book on ebay and chrono sells for around 100 with book if u lucky. Just grow some balls and tells us how much u want u piece of poo poo. If u asking more than what they sell for on ebay then stop selling here. This is craiglist not ebay unless u so dumb u don't know how to sell on ebay.

wheres this cl u been pimpin these games, like some coleco freakhoes? i ain't never been

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ruDsIRM8Hk

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
shits like going to sams club for a free sample and eating the whole display

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

this game was insanely cool it was about punching bad guys and bad robots in the grim cyberpunk future. you can even punch bullets!

holy poo poo!

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Das Boo posted:

This is the ideaology that makes Legacy of the Wizard one of my NES favorites.

Someone made a review for LotW a few years after it came out. The entire game is basically a needlessly drawn out variant on the Lost Vikings theme (Lost Vikings would come out later) and beating the game requires either extensive notes or good rote memory, so far as what characters/items to use in what rooms. But this guy and his younger accomplice (it may have been his kid sibling or child — so long ago I cannot remember) came up with their own way to play the game and had an awesome time.

Fun is all in how you play.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Someone claimed it was #8 which was blatantly incorrect. The inaccuracy could not stand unchallenged.

The fault is not even that Mystic Quest was a watered-down Final Fantasy. More closely, MQ was a watered-down Legend of Zelda with even weaker combat than FF. And it just borrowed the FF name to make $$.

Also every point Nathilus made about MQ.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

legacy of the wizard is awesome, check out this map

and yeah you had to take notes, that's why they put the notes section in the back of the instruction book

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

what was that NES game that was made by a japanese guy who hated video games and made it impossible to beat so that he could troll people?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Super mario RPG is also amazing. All the top people at Nintendo and Square (at the time) working on it

super mario rpg is the best jrpg that was ever made or will ever be made.

Y-Hat posted:

what was that NES game that was made by a japanese guy who hated video games and made it impossible to beat so that he could troll people?

takeshi's challenge

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i like smrpg, but it's easier than earthbound, has less cool sidequests than chrono trigger, and has a worse battle system than both of them. it easily goes number three on the essential SNES RPG list (i haven't played FFVI but it would probably rank above SMRPG if i did)

it's still a must-play

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mario rpg owns because it's short, charming and has actual overworld gameplay beyond 'go from point a to point b'.

also the battle system is better, what are you even talking about. timed hits bitch, geno whirl all of those motherfuckers for 9999 damage :getin:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

timed hits are a cool mechanic but i think they make the fights trivial :shrug:

but you're right about its charm and humor, it's why i love earthbound and it's just as abundant in SMRPG

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh wait wait, no. Good lord, let's not get into making lists or saying what is best. That way leads to madness.
Fun is fun. Just in different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh wait wait, no. Good lord, let's not get into making lists or saying what is best. That way leads to madness.
Fun is fun. Just in different ways.
you're right. at the end of the day you can't go wrong playing any of those three games

• Locked thread