Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Kelfeftaf posted:

In order of quality:

1) Final Fantasy VI
2) Super Mario RPG
3) Earthbound
4) Illusion of Gaia
5) Final Fantasy IV
6) Breath of Fire I+II (II is much better than I from what I remember; same goes for Lufia)
7) Lufia I+II
8) Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

Only play BoF 1 if you have high tolerance for ...well everything. Movement is slow on the overworld, somewhat high encounter rate. It is an early era SNES rpg, and has all that sort of thing implies.
The last two bosses also take loving FOREVER TO KILL. JESUS CHRIST.
However, I do enjoy the atmosphere of the game.

If you like ARPG like Illusion of Gaia, I would try Terranigma. It is part of the Trilogy. not in fact, but in a spiritual since.
Soul blazer - Terranigma - IoG. It was never released in the US.

You could also try Star Ocean. This as well was never released in the US. It is , in fact, one of the largest sized (in terms of MB) SNES games. They managed to do some amazing things with the SNES hardware by the end of it's life.

Bahamut Lagoon (again, Japan only, but is now translated) is an interesting duck. Sort of a proto-Tactics in combat movement, you can "feed" your dragons various weapons and items and direct their growth (and their transformations!).

Don't feel bad if you pass over Earthbound. I couldn't get past the damned inventory system. The game throws so much crap at you, I had to start trashing stuff just to fit in "Key Items".
Yes, items you HAVE to have take up valuable inventory space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
If you can't enjoy MQ, then you are just bland and dead inside.

yes, it is simple. It was made for first time RPG players. It also has a hard rock/metal soundtrack, and interactive objects on the overworld.
IE: Blow up rocks with your bomb weapon, cut down trees with axe, ect, etc.

No one is claiming " OMG BEST RPG EVAR ONE ONE ONE"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I'm just saying if you can't sit down and have a little silly fun, with a rocking sound track, then you are lame and dumb.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh wait wait, no. Good lord, let's not get into making lists or saying what is best. That way leads to madness.
Fun is fun. Just in different ways.

• Locked thread