Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

S.E.R.A.F.I.M Model unit 616, callsign Dorothy

In the Cybernetic Renaissance, there was one name that was on everyone's lips. Dr. Alda Moreno, with her ever-increasingly refined AI protocols and elegant Angel-class androids (like the O.P.H.A.N.I.M and C.H.E.R.U.B.I.M, the first of many) was the expert consulted on every problem from AI integration into human society to Robot Rights and beyond. World leaders practically came to her door to ask for advice on policy regarding non-human sentients.

But as with all great minds, her fame and power was short lived. Eventually the Angel-class automata were surpassed by more sophisticated models who were superior in both capacity to function. Her presence disappeared from the world news. Her creations faded into obscurity, only appealing to those collectors of vintage art. But Dr. Moreno herself was not in any hurry to let herself be so easily relinquished. Decadeds upon decades she toiled, perfecting a new model of sentient AI, the SERAFIM.

Unit 616 is the latest iteration of this model, and the first one to go among the populace. Part of it is a test run; to prove that they really can go among the general populace and be unrecognizable as an inorganic. The other part is an education for the unit she has taken to calling Dorothy - after all, if an AI knows nothing about the world, what good can they be in assimilating in it? Though the IPIS program demands that there is something inorganic about its participants, Dorothy has been passed off as a cyborg with difficulty adjusting to her implants, rather than a fullly inorganic AI.

Unit 616, for her part, is glad to be out of the lab. For years, all she had seen were sterile walls and complicated machines, and the dark, troubled eyes of her creatormother. She tried to live up to mother's expectations, but it was never good enough. She was never good enough, but she endured, and improved, day in day out, to be the perfect creationdaughter. To be sent into the world for the first time, among real people rather than holo-vid replays of interations, eating real things rather than being hooked up to feeding machines...it is more than she ever dreamed of.

Of course she dreams! What kind of question is that? She's a real girl. Even if she's made of metals and plastics. Her reserved demeanor may be interpreted as standoffish, but that's only because she doesn't know how to express herself very well. Yet.

pre:
Name: Dorotéia "Dorothy" Barros // 
SE(lf) R(egulated) A(utomaton) F(unctionally) I(ndistinguishable among) M(asses) #616
Skin: The Serpentine
True Form: Latticed Wires all over, Undulating Limbs without Joints.
Humanoid Appearance: Lithe, Cold Eyes
Origins A Family from Old Wealth

Stats
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, they become a part of the Failing 
Dynasty (and subject to the move’s mechanics).

Darkest Self
You aren’t ever going to be the person that your family wants you to be. 
You can’t live with their shame and insanity any longer. 
You need to escape your current identity, go into hiding, or run the gently caress away. 
You need to threaten or hobble anyone who would try to keep you in these familial chains. 
You escape your Darkest Self when you rejoin your family, 
or you shed your past life and integrate yourself into a new family.

Failing Dynasty
In the age of serpents, your family was powerful and prolific. Now, they live in a shadow of their former glory. 
They want to regain their political clout. Whenever you are convinced to do the bidding of a family member,
carry 1 forward to doing it and that family member gains a String on you. 
Whenever you help your family regain some of their former glory, mark experience.

Patience is a Virtue
When you bite your tongue and don’t respond to adversity, roll with cold. 
On a 10 up, choose one: gain a String on them; they gain the Condition snake food. 
On a 7-9, they gain the Condition snake food.

Backstory
You’ve been watching someone, trying to learn from them what it means to be human. Gain two Strings on them.
Your family seeks to control your every move. The head of your family gains two Strings on you.

NPC; Valentino Dubois

One of the TAs in the IPIS programs, Valentino is a bit of a prodigy of his own when it comes to cybernetics. There's rumours that he's experimented on himself because he couldn't get permission from the government to get test subjects, but if those are true, he's good enough to hide any evidence on it. Most students don't seem to be scared of him, however; rather the opposite is the case, and there's more than a little attraction for "Mister Dubois" among the populace.

Setting Detail; Holographically Oriented Light-In-Action-and-Detail Antechamber for You (the HOLIDAY rooms)

For those students who don't have a home to return to in summer, Al-jazari academy provides a multitude of halls designed to sustain holographic programs. Most of them are written by school staff, though personalized programs can be instated with special permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

K Prime posted:

Dorothy, what was the first emotion you felt after your "enhancement?" Why did you feel it?

It was a very odd sensation. Mother made sure I wasn't hurt during the process, of course. But afterwards...I remember feeling numb, at first. I wasn't quite sure what to feel, physically and mentally. Confusion was a big part of it. But as soon as that had passed, I felt elated. I could move, think, feel with a greater degree of freedom than ever before. It was a rush. All these new sensations with such clarity, such pristine experience - it's indescribable. No, seriously. I'm not sure I can describe it. The world seemed like an entirely different place, and everything I knew seemed to have been replaced with a newer, better version of itself.

So yes, I was as happy as I have ever been. The memories of the experience remain with me until this day, and if I'm perfectly honest, everything else pales a little in comparison.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Hello. My name is Dorothy. I am told to ask you all to please excuse any odd behaviour on my part. I am still adjusting to my cybernetic implants. It is a slow process.

Backstory
You’ve been watching someone, trying to learn from them what it means to be human. Gain two Strings on them.

Despite his current disembodied status, Chris Prasert is a wonderful human. He has seen generations of people be born, grow up, and die. He knows more about humanity than anybody else I've ever seen. I like him a lot. (As discussed, I'm cool with doing this from a misunderstanding of Chris' situation.) I tried making friends with Everett, but his behaviour is very odd. Perhaps he suffers from some form of hypersensitivity. He is very withdrawn. (Maybe she tried studying Everett, but gave up after she saw some of his quirkier behaviour as a result of the Voice. Not very human after all!)

Your family seeks to control your every move. The head of your family gains two Strings on you.

Obviously, Dr. Moreno is eagerly interested in the results of her daughter's performance at IPIS.

--
pre:
Strings on you/me

Chris      2/0
Everett    1/0
Evie       0/0
Nivaine    0/1
Ray        1/0

Dr. Moreno 0/2

Wahad fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 4, 2014

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I'll cast a vote for 2.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I have yet to unravel the curious nature of Chris Prasert's existence. I have a hunch that it might be more complex and layered than it appears. Chris highlights Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
As a latecomer I guess seat 3 is mine and I'll sit with Yanelle. Fastforward it is and apologies for being busy.

• Locked thread