Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Everett, Quantum Cyborg

The many-worlds interpretation of quantum physics suggests that there are a nigh-on infinite number of parallel realities, of varying degrees of similarity to each other. Extensive research into the underlying quantum nature of reality has led to advances, allowing for the transmission of data from reality to reality, and the scientists working on the project soon believed that rapid advances in knowledge would be made possible through the exploitation of this information.

However, they soon discovered that a fully sapient viewer would be necessary for the quantum uncertainties to resolve, and that a normal human mind was simply unable to properly track and calculate the resulting mathematical constructs, even with the aid with a computer. So, Everett was created. His genome was restructured in utero to prevent the rejection of the cybernetic enhancements that would be later grafted onto his neural network.

Everett spent his first thirteen years in isolation, trained in the advanced mathematics and sciences necessary to parse the information he would eventually receive, while also being implanted with increasingly invasive cybernetics, allowing them to grow and merge with his nervous system throughout his development. Two months after his thirteenth birthday, his implants were activated and Everett was exposed to the infinite possibilities of the quantum world. For a few fractions of a second, everything was fine. The infinite permutations of possibility became united within his mind, and total awareness of all realities flooded into him.

But then he felt a presence, tugging at his mind, seeping into the meat of his brain and screaming at him in an alien tongue. When he regained consciousness, the voice continued to whisper in his brain, despite the implants being deactivated. It had left a piece of itself inside of Everett's brain, a piece that could not be excised. Everett was committed to the care of a specialized psychological institution and the project was scrapped. Everett's psychologist worked on his recovery, and took a special interest in his case, going the extra mile to generate a full, social profile for him, which would allow him to be integrated into normal society.

His psychologist continued to monitor his progress, while the voice in his head sought to manipulate him to follow the strange bidding of random chance. Twice, Everett activated his implants and his consciousness flooded with awareness. He could see the quantum paths of individuals and parse out their histories, he could determine their secrets and calculate the best route in moving forward with his personal plans. But when the connection was open, the voice was more powerful. It stared back into Everett and broke him down in its infinite distance. It soon learned to speak English in his brain, and spoke of terrible secrets.

There were infinite worlds, but Everett's world was the only real one. All other realities were pale shadows of the one true reality, and how it moved determined the shape of the multiverse. And this being dwelling in Everett's head wanted to manipulate the prime reality in order to manipulate that shape. In that regard, Everett would be its first and foremost tool.

Shortly after his sixteenth birthday, his psychologist was contacted by the Al-Jazari institute. After discussing the initiative in depth, it was agreed that it would serve as an ideal place for Everett to begin his reintegration back into society. And the voice was quite interested in seeing how it could make use of the other students present in order to serve its grand design.

pre:
Name: Everett
Skin: Infernal
Look: distant, calculating eyes
Origin: Servant of Science (Lackey)
Dark Power: Arrayer of Probability

Stats
Hot -1, Cold -1, Volatile +1, Dark +2

Moves:
Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose
two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold
Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings
against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Unknowable
When you lash out physically against someone, on a
10 up, they lose 1 String on you. • On a 7-9, add
to your list of options: they lose 1 String on you.

Special Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on
you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Bargains:
The Power Flows Through You
You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2
to your next roll (choose before rolling).

Uncanny Voices
You can give the dark power a String in order to
realize a secret about someone you’re talking to. The
owner of that character will reveal one of their secret
fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Darkest Self
You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left
you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own
addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended
demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative (and
perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you
fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again,
to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill
those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape
your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings
on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with
an even more dangerous dark power.

Backstory
You have revealed too much of what you've seen. Give
away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the
dark power and the other characters.

You know someone's secret. Gain a String on them.
Arrayer of Probability
Something dwells in the space between quantums, in the impossible space of half-Planck lengths. It keeps its true nature shrouded to itself, and is remarkably resistant to both observation and interaction. Of all of human kinds creations, only Everett has ever contacted the Arrayer. However, the Arrayer is eternal, and in distant, alien worlds, monuments to its power lie in the dust of the dead. The Arrayer wishes for the unlikely, to unshape the prime reality into new and terrifying directions, ones born of its utterly alien inclination. Above all else, it delights in the unlikely, in making one percent events happen. It longs for a cult of proper worshipers amongst humanity, so that its will can be spread and probability can eventually be turned awry.

Dr. Sarah Michaels
Dr. Michaels is a clinical psychologist, with a focus in abnormal developmental psychology. She began work at a psychological institute for troubled youths, but after working extensively with Everett, she was selected to come to Al-Jazari to serve the staff's psychological team as a junior member. She has only limited access to the secrets of the institute, and finds even that information greatly troubling, even if she keeps that reaction to herself. She is a passionate believer in her work, though, and her genuine desire to aid the well being of the troubled youths of Al-Jazari makes her willing to put all on the line. She is in her early thirties, but still unmarried, which has drawn some attention from the other staff members in Al-Jazari.

Meinberg fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

K Prime posted:

Everett, you have a history of... special mental illness. Has that made you more, or less sympathetic to people suffering from regular mental and physical maladies?

OOC: More about Everett. I get a sense of what he'll do, but none of WHO HE IS.

W-w-well, it's it's a slightly complica-a-a-ted thing. I mean, some individuals are perfectly fine. They're people who have suffered from misfortune and are now doing their b-b-best to cope. But there's also those whose mental disorders lead them into directions that are inherently violent. They're reactionary, and unless handled with extreme c-c-care, they they they lash out, you see. And that's... intimidating. Especially since my... uh... "home schooling" did not allow me to interact sufffficiently with others of my p-peer group, leading to some issues with my... uh... interpersonal intelligence development. So I'm bad at... picking up on social cues to begin with, and then once you have an individual with abnormal stimuli triggers....

I empathize, because well.. same boat and all, but that doesn't mean that I'm not wary. I don't want to get hurt. Does anyone, really? But it's... it's a scary world out there. And being... having... not being adept at navigating the social construct is like being blind, and everything is so sharp.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Let me s-s-start by saying that... uh... this general line of inquiry does not m-m-make me comfortable. I uh have read about the subjects of interpersonal romantic and or sexual relationships, but it's a very... uh... confusing area.

But I will uh.. yes, attempt to answer according to my my uh my "instincts".

K Prime posted:

11. Me [28F] with my BF [31M] of 5mo doesn't use the bathroom because he's scared of the house AI 'watching him.' How do I get him to stop being a baby?

Of all of these scenarios this is.. uh... I guess the one I'm most f-familiar with. C-c-constant surveillance is an integral part of the modern experience. We are all under eyes, all the time. There is never a moment where we are free from observation. Our flaws and our weaknesses are constantly being laid bare by dispassionate, uncaring observers, grander and darker than anything that could be easily imagine.

B-b-but one can be comforted by the notion that they don't care. We are but toys in the eyes of these great terrors. Once you accept your own lack of agency and importance, then the acceptance of being watched soon follows. The eye of an AI does not care about your... excrement, unless it has been programmed to. The watchers only care when it suits their interest. They are nothing to fear.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Greetings, I'm Everett, the disobedient puppet of an alien intelligence, or not that exactly. Yeah, I'm just a cyborg. Nothing to worry about.

I get to give out three strings, to people who've seen Everett at his most vulnerable. For this, I was thinking Nivaine, Chris, and either Evie or Dorothy for the last. I also get a string on someone who I've seen the quantum possibilities of. For this, I definitely want to go Nivaine. Having the inside scoop on the superspy seems like fun.

I'm up for being your target, Ray and Chris, but I'm also cool with being relatively unnoticed.

My Strings on You|Your Strings on Me
Ray: 1|?
Evie: ?|?
Nivaine: 1+?|2
Chris: ?|1+?
Dorothy: ?|?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Isolated incidences, like electrons forming water drops at point of intersection. Dorothy watching as he descends into the reverie of his communion with the thing beyond. Nivaine see him smashed against a locker by another student, the tears of pain and despair. Chris seeing his violent retribution, a punch out of nowhere, that despair twisted into anger and shaped into motion. His mind, curious, probing at the possibilities of the world and seeing the possibilities of Nivaine, a glimpse into her quantum duplicates across the manifold realities. Isolated incidences, forming the beginning of a larger pattern.

To finalize my string choices: I'll give one string to Chris, Nivaine, and Dorothy, and take one string on Nivaine.

And I'll vote for option 1.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

As far as I am yet aware, I don't have firm boundaries. If something does pop up, I will make it clear though, and I understand and respect the need that people have for boundaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I'll grab seat #2 and Steve Blair.

I'm fine with skipping forward, though I would like some feedback on my Gazing into the Abyss. Everett will be skipping class to try and do some focused investigation, after doing some hacking to temporarily disable his biometric data from the camera's database.

• Locked thread