Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Why not just create a folder?

edit: oh I misunderstood what was going on my b.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Because even the cheapest software can clone a partition which is the most reliable way to move Windows around without screwing poo poo up.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I'm on my second OCZ SSD right now (the first one broke so bad that I couldn't boot to bios with it attached, varranty got me another) and I have been experiencing some blue screens lately.

Next one will be some other brand, even if I could get a free one again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sorbus posted:

I'm on my second OCZ SSD right now (the first one broke so bad that I couldn't boot to bios with it attached, varranty got me another) and I have been experiencing some blue screens lately.

Next one will be some other brand, even if I could get a free one again.

eBay the replacement the day you get that fucker.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I've had 2 different generations of OCZ SSD fail. They really are terrible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AMD Radeon SSD (re-branded OCZ) is reviewed - http://anandtech.com/show/8420/amd-radeon-r7-ssd-240gb-review

Mediocre performance, high price, blah blah.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I ordered a bunch of Intel 530 240GB SSD (SSDSC2BW240A4K5) units to serve in network "appliances" we will be using at work. VPN, RADIUS, DNS, DHCP, etc.

Amazon has them for $139, but limited my order to 2. Newegg has them for $134, and also limited my order to 2. Is there a shortage? Is Intel discontinuing them?

I like the idea of 5 year warranty on them, and of course the SandForce chipset means it will work with any weird OS config. I plan on creating a ~100GB partition on each, so they will be mad overprovisioned. The OS install is about 2GB, and the only writes will be limited log files and weekly update checks. Basically, I'm guessing they will get maybe 500MB of writes per week. So hopefully these will last a long, long time.

I went for the 240GB Intel drives because I know we'll be able to use them in Desktop systems if/when we ever replace the network appliances.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
I must say that we had plenty (around 20%) of Intel 335 SSD's fail at work faster than expected (under half a year), so I wouldn't buy one to myself. 530 seems fine though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My Intel motherboard has a mini-PCIe slot with mSATA support. I use this machine as a home VM lab (i.e. "prosumer server"). In particular this is a Hyper-V VM, not VMWare. I'm looking at moving my VM images to SSD for a performance boost, and backing up nightly to an external rotational drive. The VMs take up about an average of 60GB over the last year, and I am not expecting that number to go above 120GB for more than 3 months at a time.

A) will this improve performance? Right now the VMs live on the same 500gb WD Blue drive that the Hyper-V server resides on
B) VMs probably have a different usage pattern, offloading RAM to disk etc; how many years should I expect of hands-free operation? > 5 ?

This is the drive I am looking at right now

$140 - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-MTE250BW mSATA 250GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147316&cm_re=msata-_-20-147-316-_-Product&RandomID=7539576187420220140829195805

$160 shipped + 8.25% tax is about as much as I'm willing to spend, the closer to $100 the better though.

I'm not really interested in a traditional format 2.5/3.5" SSD as the motherboard has 5 physical SATA3 ports and the sixth one is burnt up on this stupid hybrid slot; of those five I have one used for the system drive and the other four are reserved for affordable redundant storage.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 30, 2014

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Hadlock posted:

My Intel motherboard has a mini-PCIe slot with mSATA support. I use this machine as a home VM lab (i.e. "prosumer server"). In particular this is a Hyper-V VM, not VMWare. I'm looking at moving my VM images to SSD for a performance boost, and backing up nightly to an external rotational drive. The VMs take up about an average of 60GB over the last year, and I am not expecting that number to go above 120GB for more than 3 months at a time.

A) will this improve performance? Right now the VMs live on the same 500gb WD Blue drive that the Hyper-V server resides on
B) VMs probably have a different usage pattern, offloading RAM to disk etc; how many years should I expect of hands-free operation? > 5 ?

This is the drive I am looking at right now

$140 - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-MTE250BW mSATA 250GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147316&cm_re=msata-_-20-147-316-_-Product&RandomID=7539576187420220140829195805

$160 shipped + 8.25% tax is about as much as I'm willing to spend, the closer to $100 the better though.

I'm not really interested in a traditional format 2.5/3.5" SSD as the motherboard has 5 physical SATA3 ports and the sixth one is burnt up on this stupid hybrid slot; of those five I have one used for the system drive and the other four are reserved for affordable redundant storage.

The difference between running a VM on SSD vs a spinning drive is quite noticeably faster in my experience. You can also run more VMs off of that one drive without noticing a real performance hit as well.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Just got my 2011 MBP set up with a 840 Evo thanks to this thread, and I'm absolutely loving every moment of it. My only question is, how do I enable TRIM? The OP only says it's "difficult" to enable on OS X, but doesn't give details... I've tried some terminal commands I found and a third-party tool (ick), but they don't seem to work. How do you enable TRIM support on Mavericks?

Bassist Hound posted:

Your mileage may vary, however these are the steps that worked for me to enable trim with the Samsung 840 Evo on my Macbook:

Backup the file that you’re about to patch:
sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage /IOAHCIBlockStorage.original

Patch the file to enable TRIM support:
sudo perl -pi -e ‘s|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00).{9}(\x00\x51)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg’ /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

Clear the kext caches:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Then reboot. Worked fine for me. If something messes up, or TRIM isn't working you can back out with

sudo cp /IOAHCIBlockStorage.original /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage
This was the command I found, and it's not working for me. :(

Edit: Welp, never mind, this version worked fine.

TACD fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 31, 2014

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Does anything about this stand out as a problem? Obviously it has a lot of hours.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
According to how the Unaligned Access Count value is calculated, you've had a decent number of unaligned reads and writes. If that's true, you're getting lower performance and higher write amplification than you should be - not a huge deal, but worth fixing.

Let's check drive alignment. Open a command prompt and run this annoying command:

wmic partition get BlockSize, StartingOffset, Name, Index

If the StartingOffset (which will be a long number) is not evenly divisible by 8192, you got alignment problems.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Hours don't matter much, write/erase cycles do. It's estimating that you've used 11% of its write cycles, and everything else looks clean, drive's fine.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Alignment is fine. Thanks guys.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

If the StartingOffset (which will be a long number) is not evenly divisible by 8192, you got alignment problems.

I got 8192 problems but alignment aight one

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
NewEgg has the 480GB Intel 730 Series for $262. That seems like a pretty cheap price for something that's practically enterprise grade from everything I've read. I know you can get a 500GB EVO for that price any day of the week, but I don't think it's anywhere near the quality of the Intel drive. Any reason I shouldn't pull the trigger?

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 1, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Well, the Samsung drive will be faster for everyday use thanks to RAPID, but otherwise not really.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'd just make sure it's being sold by Newegg, and not someone else though the Newegg website.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Yeah it's straight from NewEgg. Promo code knocks $87.50 off the price. I already ordered it. My 240GB is nearly full and I don't want to delete anything.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 1, 2014

Urzza
Sep 8, 2007
Rippen off MTG since 2002
Where do you get said code?

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Promo code is PCINTEL730. Gives 25% off 730 series drives.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Dick Fagballzson posted:

NewEgg has the 480GB Intel 730 Series for $262. That seems like a pretty cheap price for something that's practically enterprise grade from everything I've read. I know you can get a 500GB EVO for that price any day of the week, but I don't think it's anywhere near the quality of the Intel drive. Any reason I shouldn't pull the trigger?
I wouldn't really agree that the Intel SSD 730 is "higher quality" than the Samsung 840 Evo. It uses higher-endurance NAND, but that doesn't make it better or more reliable if you're not pushing the endurance. Samsung SSDs actually have a lower return rate than Intel SSDs, but since both are consistently well below 1% you're basically looking at statistical noise. The SSD 730 is a great value if you have a write heavy workload, but the Samsung 840 Evo is still better for desktop users.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
The Asus Z97 VII Hero has a 2x M.2 slot. Is there a compelling reason to buy anything else than a 256GB 840 EVO / 850 for gaming and general usage? What are the odds of consumer-level M.2 drives being launched this year?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Welmu posted:

The Asus Z97 VII Hero has a 2x M.2 slot. Is there a compelling reason to buy anything else than a 256GB 840 EVO / 850 for gaming and general usage? What are the odds of consumer-level M.2 drives being launched this year?
No there are not really any M.2 or PCIe SSDs that are worth owning yet. Both Marvell and Samsung have controllers on the way that support NVMe for consumer drives, that's what we're waiting on.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Alereon posted:

I wouldn't really agree that the Intel SSD 730 is "higher quality" than the Samsung 840 Evo. It uses higher-endurance NAND, but that doesn't make it better or more reliable if you're not pushing the endurance. Samsung SSDs actually have a lower return rate than Intel SSDs, but since both are consistently well below 1% you're basically looking at statistical noise. The SSD 730 is a great value if you have a write heavy workload, but the Samsung 840 Evo is still better for desktop users.

I wasn't really putting down the EVO. It's a good fast cheap drive that's easy to recommend. My personal priorities are:

Reliability > Capacity > Performance

So if I can grab a 730 for the price of an EVO, that makes the most sense to me. I would agree that under normal circumstances with the 730 at its usual price, the EVO is a much better value.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Dick Fagballzson posted:

So if I can grab a 730 for the price of an EVO, that makes the most sense to me. I would agree that under normal circumstances with the 730 at its usual price, the EVO is a much better value.
My point is that there's no reason to assume that the Intel SSD 730 is a more reliable drive than the Samsung 840 Evo. If you have an extremely write-heavy workload the higher endurance NAND is a positive, but Intel drives are not better than Samsung.

E: Power-loss protection is a benefit if that's something you care about, though if unexpected power losses are a thing you have to deal with I'd suggest a good UPS with true sine wave output, as power-loss protection on your SSD does not prevent data loss from writes that haven't been committed yet, and doesn't guarantee your filesystem won't be corrupted.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 1, 2014

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Power-loss protection was the dealbreaker for me. I'd rather not have a brick'd drive from power loss. While i've been fortunate not to have it happen at home, lovely power at my work bricked many a (samsung) SSD for my end users.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 2, 2014

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

incoherent posted:

Power-loss protection was the dealbreaker for me. I'd rather not have a brick'd drive from power loss. While i've been fortunate not to have it happen at home, lovely power at my work bricked many a (samsung) SSD for my end users.

Thats odd because of the maybe 50 Samsung SSDs I have sold, zero have corrupted or been bricked at all from anything. Almost none of them run on UPSs, so I don't know what to think.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Alereon posted:

Yes do it. Doooo iiiiit. One of ussssss...

E: In case it is helpful to you or others, the SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB for $59.99 currently holds the crown for "cheapest SSD on Newegg that is not godawful." It's kinda slow and not too good for old computers (without TRIM), and of course 128GB isn't much space at all even for casual use, but there are a lot of worse SSDs out there.

This was helpful to me as I need to update my 4 yo HTPC to something more modern that can handle 1080P video and was looking to slap a small SSD for the OS/apps to take some of the pressure off the HDD that's already busy recording HDTV. Snagged this right up.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

redeyes posted:

Thats odd because of the maybe 50 Samsung SSDs I have sold, zero have corrupted or been bricked at all from anything. Almost none of them run on UPSs, so I don't know what to think.

My scenario is the edgiest of the edge cases. It will be interesting to see 3-4 years out if power protection will make a lick of difference.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So whats stopping Samsung from making a 2TB or higher consumer SSD? The fact that it'll cost like $1000?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SlayVus posted:

So whats stopping Samsung from making a 2TB or higher consumer SSD? The fact that it'll cost like $1000?

The controller on the SSD can only address 1TB of memory. They would have to build a drive with two controllers (basically a RAID-0) in 1 physical drive) like the 960GB Sandforce drives were

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Anandtech has a PCIe SSD faceoff between the Samsung XP941 and OCZ RevoDrive 350. Huge takeaway: There are known drive-killing firmware bugs with the Samsung XP941, do not buy it. They're not intended for consumer sale and are unsupported for a reason. The OCZ drive sucks about as much as would be expected for 2-4 Sandforce drives in their RAID0-like setup. PCIe drives that support NVMe will be cool, but they are still a few months away.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The SM941 is going to be a hell of a drive when it releases. V-Nand, NVMe AND PCI-E 3.0 4x (actually this time).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Alereon posted:

Anandtech has a PCIe SSD faceoff between the Samsung XP941 and OCZ RevoDrive 350. Huge takeaway: There are known drive-killing firmware bugs with the Samsung XP941, do not buy it.

Can these PCIe types of drives be assigned to a Windows Storage Pool? I only have 5 SATA ports on my motherboard but six PCIe slots and when the price goes down below $200 for a 1TB drive I will probably be purchasing two of them. (edit: as long as they are not OCZ branded)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/yungchou/archive/2012/08/31/windows-server-2012-storage-virtualization-explained.aspx

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 7, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Well, my ThinkPad's Ultrabay caddy broke and now my secondary hard drive falls out whenever I look at the laptop wrong. I decided to solve two problems and get a larger mSATA SSD, an 840 EVO, which will let me stick the hard drive back into the primary bay, stop me from feeling constrained by 120 GB of space, and also give me a spare Intel 320 to work with I guess.

How does the Samsung data migration software stack up vs. e.g. Macrium Reflect? Does it image the same way, or is it more "copy data, let the OS figure out what changed"? Same question, different phrasing: Does Windows ask you to reboot to apply changes after using it?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Alereon posted:

Anandtech has a PCIe SSD faceoff between the Samsung XP941 and OCZ RevoDrive 350. Huge takeaway: There are known drive-killing firmware bugs with the Samsung XP941, do not buy it. They're not intended for consumer sale and are unsupported for a reason. The OCZ drive sucks about as much as would be expected for 2-4 Sandforce drives in their RAID0-like setup. PCIe drives that support NVMe will be cool, but they are still a few months away.

Only a few months away? Did they work out the boot problem with the bios/operating systems itself?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

DaNzA posted:

Only a few months away? Did they work out the boot problem with the bios/operating systems itself?

Which boot problem? If you mean basic support, Intel 9-series boards have been/are being validated to boot against PCIe drives like the Samsung XP941, since these boards have SATA Express port options. Bottom line, booting is a driver issue, both in the OS and the firmware. For OS support, Windows 8.1 added driver support for booting from NVMe drives, so that's set... as long as you have Windows 8.1. 9-series boards either have PCIe/NVMe boot support already, or the appropriate BIOS updates are in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

BurritoJustice posted:

The SM941 is going to be a hell of a drive when it releases. V-Nand, NVMe AND PCI-E 3.0 4x (actually this time).

Where did you hear about this? I can't find any information on this with a quick Google search.

• Locked thread