Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

Yeah, one's my 3TB. It's died once already but was just out of warranty and WD never got back to me on an RMA. Somehow it came back to life long enough for me to grab pretty much everything off of it; it's only plugged in for the odd stuff I couldn't back up (since it's my most massive drive); it could die right now and I wouldn't care. That other one, Disk 4? I didn't know about that one, though. Better start backing up...I wonder how much a 4TB costs these days?

$171.99

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd40efrx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

go3 posted:

They are the 'jesus christ ive been eating ramen for 3 months to save for an ssd please tell me i can buy something now' option

If you ask me, the correct response to someone wanting to buy an MX100 or an optima is 'eat ramen for a couple more weeks and buy an 840EVO.'

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Is this serious enough that we should be telling people to hold off buying EVOs when they ask in the part picking thread?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

From what I was reading on overclockers, the problem with the EVOs are specifically limited to the 128/250 GB models. They have found that a secure erase, meaning using a specialized app to totally zero out the drive, will restore performance to brand-new-drive levels.

Most people who are experiencing the issue are taking an image of the drive, using another program to secure erase the drive which zeros it out, then they reapply the image back to the drive making sure that the alignment is correct. This seems to fix the problem.

However, it has not been determined whether or not this is a short-term or long-term fix. People don't know if the drive will eventually go back to being slow. Well, "slow" for an SSD.

Well, I'm glad I bought a 1tb drive if this is true. Nice to have a bit of extra piece of mind.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This is my 1tb EVO, with rapid disabled:

It's been in use since march. I've never noticed a problem (I guess keeping rapid on helps to mitigate the issue?).

If this turns out not to be fixable via firmware update, what are the chances of samsung issuing a recall? Have they given any indication that they are aware of the issue and are investigating?

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 18, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

There'll likely be a fix within a couple of weeks. I'd say just wait and do nothing. In the mean time you scarcely notice it if you have rapid mode on.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mr E posted:

So is RAPID mode something I should turn on? I got conflicting opinions in a quick search I did.

Yes. It's the key feature that makes Samsung drives so unbeatably good. It makes the drive so fast it breaks benchmarking software.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I've had my new computer since mid march, and I've only done 1.8TB of writes. I also don't have a regular hard drive - everything is on a 1tb EVO.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That being said, I've happily installed firmware updates on my evo before with no issues.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ryuga Death posted:

Does the Samsung Magician Software need to be running all the time? Also, are there any downsides to enabling RAPID?

The only downside to RAPID is potentially losing data that hasn't been written to the SSD yet in the event of a sudden power failure.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jippa posted:

Thanks. Should I "just refresh" or "refresh range"? Does it matter if I have other programmes open?

At this point why aren't you just waiting till the 15th for the firmware update?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jippa posted:

I don't know? I'm just here asking for advice. I thought my computer had died this morning. So you wouldn't recommend using disk refresh? Are most people just waiting for the firmware update?

I don't think it's worth wasting the lifespan of the SSD by moving data around when there's been an official fix announcement. People were doing that before Samsung put out a statement, but I would just be waiting for the update.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jippa posted:

It's so weird that it just happened over night. It wasn't some sort of slow decrease it was like some one flipped a switch.

The performance difference to me is huge. How badly will disk refresh affect the life span of the drive?

Do you have rapid mode on? that significantly masks the issue, I had no idea I was even suffering from it till I read about it here and decided to test it out. even without the issue it's a massive performance bump and it should always be on. The symptoms you describe sound kinda weird though. Are you sure it isn't some other issue?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jippa posted:

I have just downloaded the samsung magician to turn rapid mode on. Should I update the firmware or leave it until the new one comes out next week?

Update, there have been improvements to rapid mode since the drive came out.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

Are Evo Pros affected by whatever that Samsung problem is? A friend just gave me a 512mb one and I'd like to know if I've gotta update this thing or whatever tomorrow.

No.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

How sure are we that the firmware is going to be released tomorrow? Any updates, test reports?

That's when Samsung said it would be coming.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's annoying this fix isn't downloaded through the normal firmware update process though. How many people buying an EVO are going to know they have to download a separate performance restoration tool to fix the SSD they just bought?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm hoping they hurry up and bring out an 850EVO so we don't have to keep telling people about it. It doesn't give the best impression when you're talking people into buying an EVO, when you say, 'oh yeah, make sure you download the performance repair tool to fix this teeny issue the drive had'.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Agreed posted:

Did Samsung genuinely release a firmware update that can't be installed for many people with Evo drives? That doesn't make much sense, somebody tell me I'm misreading the situation.

They released a firmware update that isn't installed via samsung magician, nor is there any kind of prompt in magician - and there is no sign of any notification about the issue on the samsung website. Instead, you have to engage in an invigorating session of website spelunking, in order to dive into the bowels of the samsung support website, to find a download for a 'performance restoration tool' which installs the new firmware, followed by a once off correction of the existing problem by rewriting all the data on the drive. This tool is strictly windows only, and the standalone firmware available on the site is the previous one, so literally the only way of installing this bug fixing update is to use a piece of windows only software. There is no linux download for firmware available period, so I'm not sure if linux users can ever update samsung firmware.

Even windows users would need to be sufficiently interested in technology to be reading sites like this or anandtech, and be directed to samsung's website for a fix, otherwise they may not even know the issue exists.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

benzine posted:

r0ck0, the LS 240 GB sata version. And in general are they a good brand, didn't saw them in the OP.

That's because Samsung drives are so good that people really shouldn't be buying anything else, except maybe Intel drives for certain circumstances.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

With 512GB drives dropping below $200, I'm finally tempted to upgrade from my 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. Now that the firmware bug has been fixed, is the 840 Evo back to being the best option? Is there anything on the horizon that I might want to wait for?

I'm pretty sure I've read that there will be a new 850 EVO very shortly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That being said, this is one of the best reviews detailing what exactly "RAPID Mode" does on the EVOs: http://techreport.com/review/25282/a-closer-look-at-rapid-dram-caching-on-the-samsung-840-evo-ssd

Does wonders for random access speed (if the files it's caching are <1GB as that's the max it'll take from your system RAM), but unless you're bragging about CrystalDiskMark scores, it won't do wonders for boot time or level loading. The delta between enabled and disabled are so small that they're practically a null-set margin of error.

RAPID mode was improved a fair bit in a firmware update a while back, it can use a lot more than 1gb of RAM if you have RAM to spare now. On my PC with 16gb I can confirm it using up to 4gb.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

nescience posted:

Just got a 1TB SSD (840 EVO), is it reliable enough to be used as my only disk? Should I get a regular HDD for storing files? Feeling like I'm putting all my eggs in an iffy basket.

Obv there are backups, but I mean for everyday operations.

A good SSD (like the 840 EVO) is significantly more reliable than a regular hard drive.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

At that point you'd RMA to the manufacturer, not the vendor that sold you the drive. So a vendor wouldn't have much useful data beyond whatever their return period is.

If you were in the states you would. Australia, the UK, and I suspect much of Europe has much stricter consumer protection laws though. In Australia you would never deal with the manufacturer, because retailers have a legal obligation to give you a refund for goods that don't last a reasonable period of time, and that time period often exceeds the manufacturers' warranty.

I got a full refund for a 2.5 year old 5970 because the fans weren't spinning properly.

This is why extended warranties are basically a scam in Australia because they don't give you any rights you don't already have.

I know the UK has similar laws and I'm betting France does too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I'm going to do a clean Windows install this weekend and had a few questions relating to my 840 EVO. The OP says to over provision by only partitioning 80% of the drive, but I also read a few pages back that someone posted saying this isn't needed anymore if TRIM is enabled. So what's the deal then? And if I do need to over provision, do I do it on the advertised 500 GB or the actual ~477 GB? Also where did this 20% come from? Why not 10%, or 15%, etc?

Don't over provision, but don't fill the drive past 80%.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

As far as I can tell the 850 EVO in non crazy person sizes is only about 20 dollars more - are we still suggesting 840s by default or should people get an 850?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

That is the stupidest goddamn thing I have seen in a long, long time.

At least they're encouraging people not to buy bad products that shouldn't be purchased anyway.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TheRationalRedditor posted:

No, that's an incidental byproduct of trying to act superior about imagined brilliant perceptions at any cost while being willfully oblivious to reality.

I realise that. But since nobody should be buying kingston SSDs anyhow, they're accidentally giving good purchasing advice at least, so it could have been even more stupid, is all I'm saying.

Audiophiles do love their cables though - maybe next they'll be recommending special Audiophile grade SATA cables to carry data from the SSD. A bargain at $1000 ea.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

More gems from that fantastic forum:

That didn't stop him from dropping 800 bucks on SUPER QUALITY USB!

As if any serious audio guy wouldn't be using optical spdif and bypassing the issue of electrical noise altogether. (that one is good sense at least, although you'd be crazy to buy anything beyond a standard 20 dollar cable)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Pffft, TOSLINK is bandwidth limited and you can't push a full 192 KHz through it.

What now? Last time I checked you could. It's USB that generally can't - unless you're joking, I can't quite tell.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Actually, 75 years from now is way beyond my expected lifespan, come to think of it :ohdear:

Are you remembering to factor in future advances in cybernetics?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

wooger posted:

This is a really expensive option, considering how little difference it will make in usage. Go read the Anandtech guide, or the OP.

In what way is the 850 EVO a really expensive option, making little difference? Samsung and Intel SSDs are pretty much the only SSDs anyone should be buying, and the latter only for people with special needs. Rapid mode on the Samsung makes a huge performance difference. The only reason the OP doesn't say 'Go buy an 850 EVO' is because Alereon appears to have abandoned the thread and it hasn't been updated since September.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

wooger posted:

Meh, there's no real world difference in performance for any competent SSD, below the really expensive ones.

This doesn't do any better than the mx100 in benchmarks & costs £30 more in the UK.

You're not taking rapid mode into consideration.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drunk Badger posted:

So if my OS drive is also a SSD, I don't need it. How about firmware updates?

You should be installing Magician so that you can use Rapid mode. It's the whole point of buying a Samsung SSD over something else like an intel.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Have SSD prices cratered in the last six months? I was just shown a purchase order from late April/early May, and a 500GB 850 EVO was listed as bought for ¥60,000, or roughly $500.

That seems at least a factor of two too high, so now I'm wondering if someone screwed up.

It seems way too high by US pricing standards but judging from the people who've asked for advice in the PCPartpicking thread and been in japan, it's hard to find decent PC parts over there and stuff tends to be more expensive. I'd suggest using the links in the OP of the PCPartpicking thread to find a japanese PC hardware store and just checking what they sell for.

edit: just checked for you:

http://shop.tsukumo.co.jp/goods/4988755022330/201405000000000/

¥24,386. Definitely something fishy going on.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 21, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Samsung Magician's benchmark seems to think there's a problem, although the results are pretty opaque. It says to run the optimization thingy, which of course does not work with Windows 8. HD Tach hasn't been supported since 2011 btw.

you can still get it to work quite easily, it's useful for diagnosing the 840 EVO slowdown. I was able to run the optimization tool on windows 8, so I'm not sure what you're doing wrong.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

"Performance Optimization is not supported on windows 8 or higher"

We are not talking about the performance optimisation tab in Samsung magician (that just performs a trim pass which Windows does by itself these days.) We are talking about the tool Samsung released for download from it's support website specifically to fix performance issues with the 840 EVO. You need to download that and run it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

redeyes posted:

I could be wrong but that tool didn't work. The fix ended up coming later in the form of a firmware update. From what I remember you install the firmware, reboot and leave the computer idle for a few hours, after which the problem is fixed.

IIRC you need to use the tool, then install new firmware to ensure performance stays good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I choose to refer to myself using the majestic plural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Almost busted for account sharing there, bud.

As if I'd have friends to share an account with. What sort of goon do you think I am?

• Locked thread