Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Just curious whether people bother upgrading SSDs? (Unless it's to get a higher capacity)

I still use an Intel X25-M G2 for my Linux system and it's doing just fine. There's no deterioration on the wear indicator and things still launch instantly. Even low end budget SSDs are "faster" in benchmarks nowadays but has anyone gone from one of these ancient SSDs to a new one on the same machine and actually noticed any real world difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

lDDQD posted:

I upgraded my X25M G2s to an 850 evo, mostly because shuffling games in and out of my 160gb drive was getting way too annoying. No noticeable difference in performance.
I think most of the improvement comes from getting rid of the seek delay of a spinner, which can sometimes be on the order of 100s of milliseconds.

What I thought. Thanks for the inputs.

The OSes do seem to have compensated a little (when I got the Intel, which was my first SSD, things were absolutely instant. There are seconds involved now, oh no!) but I think it does us a favour that most cheapo consumer stuff that 99% of the population buy is still with a spinning hard drive, so software has to be optimised with that in mind. And a 5-6 year old SSD will have no problem at all completely wiping the floor with a spinning HDD in any type of performance.

I found it interesting as I read a review of a current budget SSD and it was like "enthusiasts won't like it but...." - however, although the benchmarks were 'poor' compared to high end modern SSDs, they were way way better than the X25M G2... which indeed still seems absolutely fine.

• Locked thread