Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Rexxed posted:

Without using RAPID there's less of a speed difference so intel makes sense. I have a 530 in my laptop that's been very solid.

Keep in mind, RAPID mode is just a large cache scheme using 1-4gb of RAM. It can make random accesses to oft-read areas much faster, and buffer write commands, but it doesn't speed up loading something that is not predicted to be loaded, or is much larger than the cache, which is where most games would fall. Once the game is loaded though, it should improve between-level screen loading and other aspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I read somewhere that the 850s cost Samsung roughly half as much to manufacture as 840s, so I'd imagine it's something where the retailers are getting them at comparatively cheap wholesale and letting the free market dictate how aggressively they're marking them down. The discounts feel downright whimsical with how fluidly Amazon/NewEgg have been applying them.

That or Samsung is keeping the extra profits for a bit to pay off the R&D costs to get that savings. I don't see them turning that straight over to retailers so quickly. They'll lower prices as other brands drop prices to compete.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

AlphaXires posted:

Would anyone say that installing an SSD onto a prebuilt PC is a little less counter-intuitive than on a machine that you built with your own Goony, Dorito-dust encrusted hands? I own a prebuilt and I was HOPING that I could install an SSD onto my machine, but I can't just reinstall the OS onto it because this PC didn't come with any installation media (Unless there was some way that I could configure my PC to point the OS to the SSD or something). With a custom-built machine, you just reinstall the OS onto the hard drive using whatever installation media you have, no tricks in the MOBO because of any OEM product key or anything like that.

It's really just the same as replacing the boot drive, the SSD part is immaterial. Which is largely the same for both OEM and custom built machines, it's just sometimes trickier to find drivers for the OEM stuff. You could try using a disk imaging tool (Samsung Magician, Macrium Reflect, etc) to directly copy your OS partition to the SSD, though you'll want to make sure you are using less space than the SSD has (1tb main drive -> 256gb SSD won't work unless the 1tb is using less than 256gb)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

The only problem is that you could be really unlucky and buy a prebuilt that doesn't have any 2.5" bays. But that would be some phenomenally bad product design.

As long as you have a 3.5" bay, you can get adapters to fit a 2.5".

You can also kinda leave SSDs just hanging, or secured to any part of the case, as they don't need to be stabilized against vibration, and motion does not affect them.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

Does nobody else :spergin: about things not being properly attached so the case looks neat and tidy?

I spend far too much time organizing my wires for better case air flow. Even on my new case, which has watercooling and is more vent than case... in areas where I know drat well there is now airflow to impede. It would be nice if I could just let them be. Looking forward to using just mSATA drives and have no more wires at all.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

DammitJanet posted:

I mentioned a page or two back that I just got an 840 EVO and I'm getting these errors. Tried reinstalling SATA drivers from my mobo's support page (both intel and marvell) with no change. It's not plugged into a Marvell SATA port. Was I supposed to do all this poo poo from another install before I installed windows on the SSD? What the gently caress?

I hate having to ask this, but are your SATA ports set to AHCI mode in your Motherboard BIOS? Also, if the answer to that is "no", don't go do that now, it will make your current installation unusable. You'll either need to change the setting and reinstall, or try the riskier option of getting the AHCI drivers installed, then switching, and hoping Windows figures it out.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
The thumbdrive thing is when you are installing Windows from scratch. During the install process, you can specify to look for drivers in an additional place. Usually, the easiest way to do this is put them on a thumbdrive(FAT32 or NTFS should be fine), and the Windows installer will mount it and you'll be able to navigate to it and select files on it.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

DammitJanet posted:

So should I just start all over? Are the benefits worth it? Also is Intel Rapid Start worth enabling?

Starting over is worth a shot... if your current system is on another HD, leave that be and try a fresh install on the Samsung, should at least rule that part out.

The benefits are probably worth it, RAPID mode is probably more useful than Intel Rapid Start... Rapid Start just helps your computer come out of sleep faster, but with an 840 EVO, your cold boot times should be 10-15 seconds anyways. RAPID mode should help improve performance of your system all over.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

DammitJanet posted:

So does that mean I can't take advantage of any sort of RAPID type benefits?

Pretty much. Hope you didn't pay much for that SSD.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The problem is probably a more underlying physics issue, there is only so much signal processing you can do on all 40ish electrons that make up a charge state, and if those electrons decide to migrate out west, you're left trying to figure out what the gently caress with 20 or fewer electrons. Way easier to just periodically force a refresh to cram 40 new electrons in than try to figure things out after they creep out.

Well, they COULD admit they hosed up the hardware and issue refunds/replacements.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Yeah, I'm not happy either. I just put one of my 250gb 840 EVO drives into a Hyper-V 2012 Core server that isn't going to have Magician installed. Hopefully I can pull it out, hook it up to a desktop, update the firmware, and not gently caress up everything else.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

bull3964 posted:

You really shouldn't be using consumer level drives in a server regardless.

It's a home server. I mentioned it to express the inconvenience caused by this less than optimal fix.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Col.Kiwi posted:

Lastly this guy is super right. I don't know how mentioning it is a home server changes anything. The bottom line is still that if you weren't planning to use RAPID you pretty much chose the wrong drive. So your complaint that it is inconvenient to deal with this issue without Magician doesn't hold much water. Also if it's just a home server and that's why you were okay with consumer hardware, why not simply install whatever software you need to update the drive then uninstall it after? Or if the fact that it is a Hyper-V setup prevents that (I have no clue) then just boot your home server off bootable media with the DOS version of the firmware update tool.

I don't see how he is super right. Getting some enterprise version of the 840 would have the same issue, and at 2-3x the cost. I didn't say it was the end of the world, I said it was irritating that this is the best fix they could come up with, and as Lowen said, it certainly is pushing me towards Intel for my next SSD purchase.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

dissss posted:

Why do you say that?

I say this because the issue, as identified in this thread, is with the basics of their 19nm manufacturing process. Ergo, anything they made with that process is likely to have a similar issue, enterprise or not.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I'm not sure why the thread itself is getting so defensive over this. Obviously, no one had a gun pointed at them and ordered to buy an 840. Expressing displeasure with the slowdown issue of the 840s, and the subsequent kludge, is not the same as accusing the main post or anyone in the thread of misleading anyone. We all thought the 840 was great before. Now it is less great. That's all on Samsung, no one here.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

It's not what you're saying, Skandranon. It's how you're getting there.

I can't be less than happy with this fix? I can't lose some confidence in Samsungs SSDs? I think I can.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

I agree with this sentiment. Remember when we all had platter drives that were recommended to be replaced every two years if you didn't want to greatly increase the risk of losing all your data?

I do as well. I am happy my 840s will likely outlast most of my other computer parts. But I'm going to be waiting a bit longer in getting an 850.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

The 840 PRO doesn't even bother with any of that.

Here's hoping this stays true.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I don't see much point in the SSHDs. I want either super fast R/W for my boot drives, or cheap storage drives for my media drives. The market of people who want to pay a little extra for slightly faster boot times, but not enough extra to get a dedicated SSD is vanishing fast as SSD drives comes down in price.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Sometimes you only have one 2.5" bay. 1TB SSHD is like $80.

Yeah... I'd just bite the bullet and get the SSD, especially for a laptop. Major problem of laptops is disk based drives fail much more due to the increased movement. SSD solves that perfectly.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

I couldn't actually get my cloned partition to boot. Had to reinstall.

Also, if you're using the start screen you're doing it wrong. Windows key + S brings up a surprisingly useful search bar that launches your programs, and right clicking the start button gives you all the utilities you need. It's a hell of a lot faster than navigating a start menu.

But I LIKE navigating the Start Menu! :bahgawd:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Siochain posted:

Comon man, they solved this years ago with a reticulating flux adjustment spring on the platter servo microcontroller. The only way you can cause a pin fire nowadays is if your cloning software doesn't properly reorient the packet size to match the hard drive alignment on the fly, thus causing magnetic inductance in the read/write coil that can drive it down. Its really not common anymore.

Depends on if you are using good drives or not. Some of the lower quality WD and Seagate don't use the higher quality high carbon steel spring for the flux adjuster, and they can wear out and lose their elastic potential energy pool. Once that happens, hard drive combustion rates go way up. Where do you think the name "Backblaze" comes from?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Darkpriest667 posted:

Just fyi my solution worked the others didn't. Obviously I have a loving clue what I am talking about.

But...

Darkpriest667 posted:

Good to know I haven't tried to clone a drive in probably 7 years. It's faster to just reinstall onto an SSD anyway.

Not only have you not cloned a hard drive recently, you've NEVER (unless we are talking about some first gen stuff) cloned a HDD to an SSD.

You can be right for the wrong reason, reinstalling the OS from scratch likely resolved some other issues unrelated to those spooky HDD settings that were still haunting Windows.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

Oh welp, I should have read OP, can I uninstall it and it will go back to default?

Probably not? It's just acting as a different UI for changing some standard Windows settings in the Control Panel and elsewhere. I doubt it saved some settings before it was installed to revert back to.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

xcore posted:

You are obviously not a gamer, but I wouldn't call PC gamers a "vanishing market". You would fill an SSD with 3 copies of GTAV. The price/storage capabilities of SSHDs seems appealing.

(I've never owned an SSHD)

I am a gamer, just with more means than most. I have a Samsung 840 PRO 512gb for booting and games I play, and a 1TB RAID 1 array for games I'm not playing. I use SteamMoverWPF to move games back and forth to my SSD when I want to play them. They are only appealing if you are really strapped for cash/can literally fit only 1 drive in your case.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Well there's comparing SSHDs to SSDs and then there's comparing SSHDs to HDDs. Sometimes a SSHD costs just as much as an equivalent HDD.

Except instead of getting a good HD or a good SSD, you are getting crappy versions of both. Then you then have 2 sets of parts that can fail instead of one. They made sense 3-4 years ago when SSDs were a lot more expensive, but as SSD prices have fallen, they are very affordable. They will continue to fall, and this SSHD thing will be another passing fad that no one cares to remember.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Are SSHD failure rates so bad?

Not outrageous, but worse than their single-purpose counterparts. Current Samsung/Intel SSDs are likely to outlast any other part in your computer right now. The failure rates of an SSHD are largely dictated by the HDD it is built around, plus the added SSD, as any component can fail independently. If you want a single drive for your games, you'll be far happier with a good SSD, and if you want to buy drives for storage, you're better off keeping it simple and buying just a disk drive.

Your worst case scenario is you get an SSHD, find it lacking, and a year later get an SSD to replace it. Better off to just make the full transition now.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, I had a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB (8GB SLC NAND) for my Steam drive for a while, although recently I upgraded it to a Seagate 2TB SSHD (8GB MLC NAND, don't buy the 4TB version which spins at a slower rate) which is just a very fast drive in general. I need a large, fast drive for all those enormous games, which quickly becomes ridiculous on an SSD. GTA V is 60.4GiB alone on my system, for example. I also have all my Steam games installed. I do have two 256GB Samsung 830 SSDs in my system, so I'm not cheaping out on that front, but SSDs still have a little way to go in price terms before I could justify buying one just for games.

Edit: as for the guy who was saying they have increased failure rates, that's bollocks. Seagate warranties the newer 3.5" SSHDs for 3 years, and my old Momentus XT came with a 5-year warranty. It also only specifically caches reads, so if the NAND ever dies, it's supposed to fail gracefully back to just being a hard drive. These aren't magic drives or anything, and they need more NAND, but if you can't swallow the cost of a 1TB SSD for your Steam games, and you just want a fast HDD for that use, why not?

I think I specifically said why not. If you have no money and desperately need a bit more read speed for playing games, by all means, but you'll eventually be replacing it with an SSD, and probably within 1-2 years.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

Then again, it's only a Steam library, so it's not exactly critical, eh?

It's not, but the point is that the failure rates are almost certainly additive, and in that case, a dedicated SSD or HDD would be better, simply from the perspective of 'not having to gently caress around with this once it's in'. Any single drive, even SSD, should be considered long-lived RAM in terms of data redundancy.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I'm not confused at all. I'm not talking about worrying if the data is lost, I'm talking about the likelihood of the failure of the drive controller for the SSD portion failing in such a way as the HDD becomes unreadable. I am suspicious that the failure mode is not so well handled as you have suggested. Also, the SSD parts on those SSHDs are going to be crappy SSDs, not good ones, so they will fail much quicker than a good Samsung/Intel SSD.

The drives are also only faster for reading small chunks of data within the cache. The whole point of having a large drive is to store large data there. If you are reading out something larger than your cache, it becomes useless. If the caches were much larger, and had better quality parts, it might be worth a look, but the market for such a device is small, and will only get smaller as SSD and mSATA drives continue to plummet in price.

As for what "having to gently caress around with it" means, it means "open case, take out failed drive, put new drive in, restore data/download steam games again". This amounts to 1-2 hours minimum, which I would rather not do, and will pay a premium to avoid. You can decide separately how valuable your time is.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I will say though that for all the use cases, a dedicated steam drive is probably the best use case for a SSHD. Having it as your boot drive would mean that the cache almost certainly is filled with OS files so very little games would be cached. However, if you were focused on a single game for a time period, I could see it being almost completely populated in the cache.

But, then, if you are going to focus on one game for awhile, you are probably better off just going with the smaller storage and not installing everything you own.

Even then, the major complaint is that games like GTA V are huge and can't possibly fit on an SSD (bullshit), but by that very argument, most SSHDs won't really help much either, as the game is far larger than the cache could hold. The cache also only helps for content that is being read more than once, but not being kept in RAM. Or the item being read is too large to keep in cache at all. Only way to find out the exact performance characteristics would be to benchmark a given game. Likely, really large ones would not benefit much from an SSHD, only very small games that do not cache stuff in RAM well and instead constantly read small files from disk.

With and SSD, you have a floor value for ALL reads of "very fast", and it doesn't matter how the application reads data.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

Could you run into something like that if you hosed around with pagefile and swapfile settings, despite actually having a shitload of physical ram?

Yes, completely disabling pagefile is a bad idea for this exact reason.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

fatman1683 posted:

Here's an interesting and possibly stupid question.

I'm going to need to build a new file/media server later this year, and I'm toying with the idea of going with all solid state storage. What would be the most efficient/reliable/cost-effective SSD for use in a multi-terabyte array?

(Yes I know 7200rpm spinnaz would be perfectly fine in this application, humor me)

Most of the speed benefit will be wasted if the accesses are coming from across the network. You will gain in reliability, though depending how you do your RAID, you might be losing TRIM support

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

fatman1683 posted:

I'm not even interested in speed, really, since obviously the network will be the bottleneck and 7200rpm platters are more than enough. My main interest is in minimizing heat, noise, power consumption and moving parts. I'd love to see if I can build a server with absolutely no moving parts whatsoever: SSDs, completely passive cooling, etc.

You can, that's easy. The question is, are you willing to spend 10x $/gb to do so?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Welp, got my Intel 750 1.2TB PCIe NVMe in today. I sure hope it's as fast as it is in my dreams...

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

Please let us know what your impressions are.

It's fast alright. Haven't yet had a chance to do some actual speed tests, but was able to straight up write data faster than my Samsung 840 could read it. It can be picky about motherboards though. I have an Asus Maximus VII Hero, and it wouldn't work in the 2nd red PCI-E slot, had to use the 3rd black one, which is supposed to only work in Gen2.0 mode, and not get the most speed. Will have to tinker some more later with it. So far just using it as a large drive, but plant to eventually put Windows 10 on it and boot from it as well.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

r0ck0 posted:

Not sure if this applies, but did you have to update to the latest BIOS for the hero to support NVMe drives?
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

Yes, installed 2702 before installing it. Like I said, it works perfectly fine in the other PCI-E slot. The instructions straight from Intel are basically "if a MB has UEFI and NVMe, should work, but you'll have to gently caress around a bunch with the MB settings and we only have a short list of ones we tried it on so far".

I'm also not sure the black slot is even bad, I think I saw some BIOS settings indicate it can run in Gen3.0 mode.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

I've got a desktop. That's pretty tempting, though, and scary. Is there a guide out there somewhere? Anything to watch out for? I gotta check the USB type when I get home.

It's not much more than installing a normal hard drive. There will probably be 4 screws on the bottom, take them out, shell should open up. Hard drive will be connected to some board which plugs into the standard SATA power and data cable, disconnect that. Now follow normal steps for installing a SATA drive into a PC.

Also, external drive, in addition to being death prone due to vibration, heat, and being dropped, are also usually crappier versions of their PC brethren, and have shorter warranties. Still a good idea to install in your case if you've nothing else, and are planning to use it long term.

The USB 2/3 question only relates to how fast it will be. USB 2 will be intolerably slow. SATA will be faster than either, so install it in your case.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Finally had time to get my Intel 750 PCIe working in my 2nd PCIe 3.0 slot, and it flies. Posted below are some benchmarks from CrystalDiskMark

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
To compare, these are the same tests done against my Samsung 840 Pro 512gb, without RAPID mode installed or enabled.

• Locked thread