Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My 850 came in today and I have had a bit of trouble. For one thing, it was connected to a SATA port on my ASUS motherboard that was blue (3gb/s) instead of 6gb/s. (It turns out my original HDD was connected to 3gb/s instead of 6 all along). I install the Marvell controller driver since that was missing, and and make sure the SSD is connected to a 6gb/s port. A few bios tweaks later and the samsung magician software stops complaining about AHCI mode being turned off. I run a benchmark, and my numbers look different, lower actually.

So now that I figured out the mystery of AHCI mode being off, now the magician software complains that SATA 6GB/s /SATA 3 isnt available. Strangely enough, when I boot up the computer, the basic Marvell boot screen shows that my SDD is connected to the 6gb/s port, and my HDD to the 3gb/s port. So what in the world am I doing wrong?

And for what its worth, my motherboard is a P6X58D-E. My OS is Win 10, and I had to install the Win 7 x64 Marvell drivers, as Win 10 drivers weren't available.

buglord fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

BurritoJustice posted:

Don't use the 6GB/s ports. They are on a crappy third party controller with lovely drivers. Just use the intel ports from the chipset, you'll be limited to ~250mb/s sustained reads/writes, but your random performance will not be affected and that is what actually makes the difference between a SSD and a HDD.

Cool beans. Does that mean reverting all the BIOS settings back then?

HMS Boromir posted:

Just uninstall Samsung Magician, all it's doing is ruining your peace of mind.

heh. maybe the OP needs an update then?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Potato Salad posted:

Avocados, wait, did the board come with IDE mode on by default as opposed to AHCI? I'm actually interested in hearing about which MB model by Asus does this.

P6X58D-E

Also I hardly screw around with the BIOS and motherboard in general so maybe I'm an idiot and am wrong about something.

Also this board is from 2010. As is the i7 930 processor. Is the processor still decent?

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 24, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
SSD's are cool and good now that I've had some time to use one with my desktop. My only weird goony complaint its that the startup times on Windows 10 are so good on HDD that the jump to SSD doesn't seem as big (but still quite noticeable). But it is nice loading up Battlefield 4 and not entering a match 5 minutes late because of load times. It's gonna be siiickkk when these eventually become the new defaults in a store-bought computer, that way all the horrible OEM bloatware isn't as crippling for folks who don't know better.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Welp I'm down to my last 30 gigs on my flashy new 850. :whitewater:

Curse these 50gb games.

• Locked thread