Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm really hoping for a price drop by late June when I do my new build. 250 gigs is too little but 250 gigs + a terabyte hard drive is more than I need, $125 or so for a 500GB 850 EVO would be great.

It's probably been that cheap once or twice already but I'm in Europe so I don't have access to the sort of deals you guys get in the US.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
How many cryses per hour can it install

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Unless you already have like 6-8 hard drives you'll be fine. Just make sure you have a spare SATA data cable (or get one) since the drive won't come with one, and don't forget to plug in both the data cable (SSD to motherboard) and the power cable (SSD to PSU).

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The 750 is an 840 with a new memory controller and no crippling firmware problems. I've read that it's meant to supplant the 120 GB 850 EVO as they phase it out, but I can't find more than one source for that particular claim so I'm not sure how valid it is. Nobody should be buying 120 GB SSDs anyway and the 250 GB version is less than ten dollars cheaper than the 850 EVO, so there's no reason for the 750 to exist or for anyone to buy one right now.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
They're indeed both TLC. The 840/750 is planar NAND, the 850 is 3D/V-NAND.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Canadian PCPartPicker says you should be able to pick up an 850 EVO 500 GB for about $200 CAD, which is a stone's throw away from the MSRP of that 750.

The SSD Megathread - Just Buy A Samsung 850 EVO

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

codo27 posted:

I'm always prowling PCPP, but I also see I can get the Mushkin for $70 cheaper than the 850. AData is there as well but I've heard bad things. $70 is a lot to me right now and again, I dont need the bleeding edge for the laptop

Maybe a compromise could be found? Sandisk is reputable, the X400 has a 5 year warranty and its performance is nothing to sneeze at. Though NCIX is adamant that you should really buy one right now or you might not get as good a price.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 22, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

My favorite Adata thing was when they wanted me to include the original packaging for an SSD when RMAing it, like I would just keep the box and poo poo around for a year

I do that habitually, I don't trust warranty (especially store warranty, though I don't know if there's actually any good reason to use that) to not arbitrarily go poof if I don't still have the box and accessories.

Also now that I've actually gotten a few hours with my new 850 EVO, which is the first SSD I've actually used first hand: Christ, it's fast. I think it takes longer to get past the UEFI prompt than it does to boot into Windows.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It doesn't mess with anything as long as I didn't enable any of its dinguses and it doesn't run at startup though, right?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
EDIT: You figured it out.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

SSDs often don't come with SATA cables, but hard drives retail packages should always have them.

My 1 TB WD Blue just came in an anti-static bag with nothing else in it. Every modern motherboard I've seen comes with 2 or more SATA cables though.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I think this is a pretty good sign that we really need a new thread. The current OP is full of scary-looking information about obsolete drives.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

kurona_bright posted:

I guess my main worry is that the way it's telling me to make sure my system is 'configured properly' makes it seem like I've done something wrong with the machine. Also the previous results made me think that there was something wrong specifically wrt random writes, but looking at it now it seems a lot more evened out.

Don't worry about their "configured properly" spiel. In fact, make sure you don't mess with anything in the "OS Optimization" tab, it's all really weird things like turning off power saving features and disabling your page file.

For what it's worth my 850 EVO has been "underperforming" since day 1 in some benchmarks. It's still blindingly fast coming from a platter drive and while it's only been running for two months, it hasn't set itself on fire yet. Just uninstall Samsung Magician, all it's doing is ruining your peace of mind.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 24, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Avocados posted:

heh. maybe the OP needs an update then?

The OP just tells you to use it to update firmware and run benchmarks, which is the extent of its usefulness. Well, that and enabling RAPID, but whether or not there's any point to that seems to be a subject of debate. The OP does need an update pretty badly though, to excise a bunch of scary-looking information about obsolete drives and add in a big screaming recommendation for the 850 EVO.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
This.

• Locked thread